Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Ghost Island looks like CBS wanted to have a returnee season but then changed their minds at the last minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vernacular posted:

Were we watching the same show? He definitely played it up.
I don't know, it never seemed that way to me. I mean, the show played it up with dramatic music and all but the only times I remember him really talking about it were when the fire was freaking him out, when Joe lied that he had sworn on being a marine, and at the final tribal. And maybe that was him playing it up but in fairness he brought it up in direct response to why he was so socially awkward/rude. Which I guess maybe some one buy as a legitimate excuse but it didn't seem like just a card he whipped out on the regular.

But I'm also less bothered by "our troops" than some people here so I was certainly less sensitive/"tuned in" to it. And like I said, I think the show played it up but Ben isn't responsible for his personal soundtrack.

Vernacular posted:

I'll admit as well that I grew to like Chrissy. I think it was quite impressive how she ended up back in the majority alliance (while ticking off a lot of the same "persistence" "hustle" "tenacity" boxes that Ben did) after getting knocked off her pedestal when the alliance of seven splintered. She didn't emphasize that nearly enough at FTC, although I still think she held her own very well (with the exception of continuing to interrupt the jury members...good lord, maybe develop some self-awareness of flaws?) She was not a perfect player, but she was at least Ben's equal in terms of gameplay (as was Devon). Not to mention the fact that Ben also played a socially flawed game, though for whatever reason that wasn't as a much of a dealbreaker for him as it was for Chrissy.
I think that comes back to the humility thing. Chrissy could have sold her game more like Ryan tried but she didn't seem to want to settle for that. She wanted to stand tall and convince the jury to be as proud of her game as she was of it so I don't think it was in her nature to point out her many mistakes and boast that she overcame them. The social game thing kind of fits that too. When Joe called out Ben on his social game flaws Ben owned it and brought up the PTSD thing. People might be cynical of that but it was at least an acknowledgement that what Joe and the Jury was saying was true. But on the flip side you had Chrissy boasting about how she had memorized facts about people and clearly some of the jury saw that as strategy more than actually social behavior or interest.

I said it before, but Chrissy could be a great player if she just had a LITTLE self awareness and humility. But I'm glad she doesn't because it was fun to watch her.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

xbilkis posted:

I don't even see why you need to prevent a stale final two votes. People's gameplay during the beginning of the season should mean something at the end of the season. If you've built a game that's put you in a position to smoothly sail into the end, there should be a limit to the mechanics that get in your way.

The game has a built-in incentive to avoid a stale endgame: People shouldn't want to go to the end with people that could beat them! Contestants on the outside of an endgame alliance can exploit this to work their way back into contention. If you can't do that, and you can't win immunity, then kick rocks, buddy

(I also think there's a reason why the finales are 2-3 boots PLUS final TC -- there's an expectation that those votes are typically more straightforward, so you can move through them more swiftly)

I bet you love pagongings because they're just so fair and pure.

Invalid Validation posted:

What a loving travesty, giving Ben like 5 loving immunity idols and then giving him a chance to win at the last second. Of course he’d win cause he blabbered on about PTSD the whole season and this country has a bleeding heart towards veterans.

Ben wasn't given any idols. He didn't win because of a sob story about PTSD. A lot of people liked him because he's just a charismatic fun guy... you know, that thing that made him a threat. Leave it to goons to not understand that.

We were shown more characterization because he won and the editors want us to be on the side of the winner. Do you know how many bits we would have seen about overcoming adversity if Chrissy had won?

Vernacular posted:

:qq: However, his path to the end was so obviously gifted to him by production that his victory is sullied. Did anybody mention how drat easy that last idol was to find? :qq:

... that happened at dawn... after he had been out all night after a tribal council.

This poo poo is a broken record every season.

CODChimera posted:

I think that would've been an interesting change to the F4 to tell people about earlier on in the season, not as a secret AT F4. I've had no problem with the idols or advantages but this one is a litttttle bit silly.

Yeah, that would have made them want to get Ben before final 4 which was different than how things happened this season because

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Zesty posted:

Yeah, that would have made them want to get Ben before final 4 which was different than how things happened this season because

...then it wouldn’t look as much like the producers made that twist up at the last second to gift Ben an f3 spot.

I mean I’m not saying they did, but I’m not 100% sure they didn’t either.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vernacular posted:

One more point on the "tailing players looking for idols" topic. Ben is a physically imposing human, moreso than the rest of the people on the island. He's also a Marine who's been through some poo poo. Do you really want to be the person standing between Ben and an idol? Or is there anything they could have practically done short of starting an actual fight to physically prevent Ben from obtaining it once he had the clue?

I mean, I guess you potentially have the knowledge that he found an idol, but 37+ days deep into the game, it's a cost/benefit analysis of just how worthwhile it really is to expend all that energy following somebody around literally 24 hours per day for knowledge of an event that is going to gently caress up your game regardless of whether or not you know about it.
You've got four other people to go look for the idol. Even if you send one to babysit Ben just to know if he has it, you still have three people looking and should have a 75% chance of finding it before he does (assuming it is there/found at all)

It certainly isn't about fighting him for it. I'd maybe want to be with him just to potentially be the only one that knows. That knowledge is immense power.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Okay Ben has an idol and now you know about it, how does that change anything about the way you vote at 6 or 5?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Goat posted:

Okay Ben has an idol and now you know about it, how does that change anything about the way you vote at 6 or 5?

Maybe I can find a way to soften the blow for the new jury member and also not look like a total doofus when Ben surprises me with yet another idol.

But if I was the only one to know, things could get a lot more interesting. And obviously the superior move is to make sure he doesn't have it, and keep it for yourself when you find it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Zesty posted:

Ben wasn't given any idols. He didn't win because of a sob story about PTSD. A lot of people liked him because he's just a charismatic fun guy... you know, that thing that made him a threat. Leave it to goons to not understand that.

They may not have given it to him personally. However, with most reality tv, it's super scripted and I tend to err on the side the producers intentionally went out of there way to give him an advantage because it makes for good tv.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

What a loving travesty, giving Ben like 5 loving immunity idols and then giving him a chance to win at the last second. Of course he’d win cause he blabbered on about PTSD the whole season and this country has a bleeding heart towards veterans.

I would argue that this country is not, in fact, obsessed with providing much-needed health care to individuals with mental health issues

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
“I have mental problems because I experienced the horrors of war” is a completely valid reason to say why you weren’t the best socially. Certainly better than “I ran the game through this other guy, believe me” or “I am a busy mom with a good memory.”

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

AdmiralViscen posted:

I would argue that this country is not, in fact, obsessed with providing much-needed health care to individuals with mental health issues

Oh of course not but we love to use them as props for the country's patriotism instead of you know, giving them the help they need. I'm totally ok with him using it as a reason to win. I just don't like how he got to the final 3 to begin with.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I wouldn't characterize his heartfelt explanation of his common-yet-oft-ignored-or-ridiculed personal challenges as "blabbered on about PTSD"

I think it's actually really valuable for him to be so frank and honest about it in such a public setting

If he can nudge PTSD affliction a little bit closer to sympathy in the public eye then that is a win for everyone. And like his friend said in the finale, if one PTSD sufferer watches the show and decides to talk to someone instead of killing themselves then that is a good thing

He was being the exact opposite of a prop for traditional rah-rah patriotism, from his articulation of the true costs of war to his unfailing use of "men and women" to describe his comrades

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zesty posted:

Oh does she not have a CBS job anymore?

Backpedaling already:

https://www.twitter.com/parvatishallow/status/943686832994340864

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You're right I'm being a little mean about him talking about PTSD when it was them editing it in a way that focuses on it. He still didn't need to be the winner to highlight PTSD.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I just found it funny that the guy with PTSD is the one making exploding bomb sounds every tribal council.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Zesty posted:

I bet you love pagongings because they're just so fair and pure.

We so rarely see a full Pagoning that it's novel when it happens.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lone Goat posted:

I just found it funny that the guy with PTSD is the one making exploding bomb sounds every tribal council.

Right cause these 2 things are the same.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Thoughts: Chrissy got royally screwed, but that's nothing new for any reality show, also I'm into next season because it seems like the culmination of all the years Survivor spent slowly-but-steadily evolving into Primetime Mario Party

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

You can argue Chrissy got screwed or whatever but I think whoever won fire was going to win so it’s moot.

Her real issue was that she treated everything all game like whoever she was talking to needed to convince themselves that Chrissy knows all rather than trying to frame it in a way that makes it seem beneficial for them.

And she was too transparent at every turn. Not bothering to talk strategy until she needed to. Gathering random facts about people to use later rather than actually getting to know them.

I liked her a little more at the end, for her tenacity if nothing else. But she seems like someone whose personality would prevent her from playing any different if she were to come back later on.

Cast wise, I thought this season was great. Of the finalists and jurors, Cole and JP are the only people I’d be mad to see pop up again.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

This season has proven that the real Survivor gamechanger is Michele Fitzgerald because production have done everything in their power to ensure we don’t have another ‘boring’ winner.

I feel that most of this rigging controversy could have been avoided if the f4 twist was announced at the start of the game like the voting tiebreakers last season.

There seems to be a theme appearing that winners have to have some outside driving force for why they deserve to win. I think Jeff likes this because his recent interest in Survivor (aside from the crazy money of course) seems to be its ability to be a story telling medium. This season felt to me that production wanted to copy Jeremy’s second chance story of playing for Val and his family. I don’t know if this a lost in cultural difference thing but I feel Jeff repeatedly bringing up Zeke’s outing and Ben’s PTSD is horribly tone deaf.

I hope production actually listen to opinions on advantage overload but I doubt it. Some of the most popular seasons like Pearl Islands and Fans v Favourites had controversial twists so it’s not like they can’t exist but the last 2 seasons just felt saturated with them.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Zesty posted:

It would mean people wouldn't be crying about production rigging it for Ben, or at least there would be less crying.

I'm not American but aren't veterans treated kinda poorly on return? It's good Ben was able to shed some light on the issue.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
PTSD literally changes the shape of your brain. It's loving serious poo poo, but it's somehow still really misunderstood and not treated with the gravity it deserves. One thing that is helping take the sting out of this is the fact that Ben is a genuinely good dude who is using his platform to speak out about this poo poo. And that was absolutely not his plan going in; according to him, he wasn't even planning on telling anyone he was a Marine. Then Jeff said "welcome to Heroes, Healers, and Hustlers" and he was like "well, poo poo."

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I never got the impression that Ben was trying to sell his story as a sob story to win the million. I recall when he had a PTSD reaction to firewood popping that another castaway came up to him and asked him if he wanted to talk about it and he said no. It makes total sense that someone living with PTSD would not want it to be in the spotlight, so I see his moments of openness about it as incredibly genuine and courageous. It also makes me see the producers as exploitive, but I already knew that after the Zeke outing.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

CODChimera posted:

I'm not American but aren't veterans treated kinda poorly on return? It's good Ben was able to shed some light on the issue.

Maybe in the 60s and 70s but now we are treated pretty well. A lot of that has to do with the right wing "even if you don't support the war support the troops" propaganda that has been pushed.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know, it never seemed that way to me. I mean, the show played it up with dramatic music and all but the only times I remember him really talking about it were when the fire was freaking him out, when Joe lied that he had sworn on being a marine, and at the final tribal. And maybe that was him playing it up but in fairness he brought it up in direct response to why he was so socially awkward/rude. Which I guess maybe some one buy as a legitimate excuse but it didn't seem like just a card he whipped out on the regular.

But I'm also less bothered by "our troops" than some people here so I was certainly less sensitive/"tuned in" to it. And like I said, I think the show played it up but Ben isn't responsible for his personal soundtrack.

I get really bothered by "our troops" stuff and I wasn't bothered by Ben at all, in that regard. I think some of you are forgetting that these people spend almost all day doing nothing but laying about and talking. Being a Marine is a huge part of someone's life, and even if that person was keeping it close and not talking about it, they're going to mention it a few times. It's easy for production to take a few mentions and turn it into the focus of an episode with dramatic music and everything else.

Lone Goat posted:

Who would ever do this?

My Dad basically watches every reality game show ever

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

CODChimera posted:

It would mean people wouldn't be crying about production rigging it for Ben, or at least there would be less crying.

I'm not American but aren't veterans treated kinda poorly on return?

Absolutely. One political party in particular pays lip service to them but then do absolutely nothing for them, instead using the “support our troops” bullshit to justify high military budgets.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Maybe I can find a way to soften the blow for the new jury member and also not look like a total doofus when Ben surprises me with yet another idol.

The latter is a fair point, although he's gonna look good regardless.

As for the former, actually I think the extra time to "soften the blow" could just as well lead to a messy sour grapes situation that might jeopardize a jury vote. Mike obviously wasn't holding a grudge against Chrissy, so that information was unnecessary for that particular purpose.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I’m watching All Stars for the first time. Holy poo poo did production drop the ball with Sue. When she called Probst out at the next challenge I was cheering so loud for her (while feeling so disheartened).

Also it’s refreshing not having idols popping up everywhere.

Liking this season so far.

edit: how did this go over when it aired?

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 24, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The heavy handed rah rah our troops poo poo came from editing, not Ben himself. He strikes me as a really genuine guy, not someone trying to champion himself/the military. But like I mentioned during final tribal, the somber music cues and the cuts over to the jury solemnly nodding along to him talking about his military experiences were what was starting to tick me off. Production couldn't just let him be a guy. He suddenly has to be this great symbol and huge drat tragic figure.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

pokeyman posted:

I’m watching All Stars for the first time. Holy poo poo did production drop the ball with Sue. When she called Probst out at the next challenge I was cheering so loud for her (while feeling so disheartened).

Rupert was America's Hero. Jerri was still super hated for some reason. Rob and Ambah got a lot of reality tv mileage out of their relationship so I guess they must have been testing well. Superfans were still pretty rare; they were more innocent times.

But the reunion has the biggest bullshit ever.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

pokeyman posted:

All-Stars was not well received at all at the time of its original airing - look at how they didn't do another returning players season until season 16, and even then they abandoned the All-Stars format. I can't go too much into details why until you watch the whole season.

P.S. How they handled that Richard/Sue incident has not aged well at all. I remember everyone kind of brushing it off/ignoring it/asking if she was just doing it for the money back in 2004.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
FUnny thing about Richard was that he was the original choice for Rwdemption Island, but he still couldn't get a visa so they went with Boston Rob instead.

In less happy news apparently he's getting divorced this year because his husband found someone younger. Oof.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
^Ouch.

Yeah, All-Stars is a weird season. You have to remember that at this point, Survivor was way bigger than it is now (and it's still pretty solid in ratings) and everyone involved in that season had developed pretty huge egos because of the fervor surrounding them and the show. When egos clash, it gets ugly, and All-Stars is a pretty ugly season.

One thing I will say though is that I actually kind of enjoyed seeing Rob and Amber fall for each other, because it seems so sincere. If you're with someone basically 24 hours a day for 39 days in miserable conditions where you're both hungry, tired, and filthy basically all the time and you're STILL into each other after it's all over... well, you crazy kids might just make it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My favourite Survivor story is how Colby and Jerri went from schoolyard crushes to frothing hate to sweet reconciliation over 18 seasons.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I remember the egos being obnoxious and all but it was great timing for an All Star season. Love or hate it people were into It. The finale filled up Madison Square Garden and Jerri was booed offstage. Maybe the negative reaction is what led to the show's near-immediate decline, but I moved away for college and stopped caring for a few seasons at that point until the "wait, that show's still on the air?" Cook Islands stunt casting publicity.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Finished watching. That was some "twist" alright. Seemed like a "how can we eke one more episode out of this" gambit, but I understand there were some conspiracy theories at the time? I guess Rupert was super popular? I haven’t watched his seasons in order but the more I see of him the less I like him.

The Rob and Amber stuff was cool and seemed genuine (easier to say with some years' retrospective). It did take any suspense out of the final vote but oh well.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Rupert is a big cry baby but managed to be cast in the perfect season where his character was the full embodiment of the pirate season... So he was super popular and popular enough the CBS made up a fan favorite award to give him money.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Wasn’t that 1 million as well?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
To give Rupert some credit, he was the least dumb of the Heroes in HvV (mostly because he had a bond with Sandra).

On the upside, Rupert met a swift end in BvW.

• Locked thread