Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

NoSQL NoProblems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Uber is a transport services company, the European court of justice (ECJ) has ruled, requiring it to accept stricter regulation and licensing within the EU as a taxi operator.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rime posted:

So 2018 is when this house of cards collapses and takes the US economy down with it as billions in VC is wiped out overnight, right?

Well it's either that or bitcoin with all the leveraged investors jumping on the bitcoin derivatives train.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
There were 57 new unicorn startups this year. One of them is loving Coinbase.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this is satire right

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/12/iced-tea-company-stock-triples-after-adding-blockchain-to-name/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If you believe the current value of bitcoin I guess

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Following the dot-com branding trend. That went well the first time, right? No signs of history repeating itself here, no sir.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

I lost it when I saw the loving nasdaq link. It's true

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
April 1 coming earlier every year.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Same thing happened last year when a bunch of penny-stock mining exploration companies suddenly decided to pivot into the marijuana market overnight. It was hilarious.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
http://www.nme.com/news/you-can-now-get-a-sex-toy-that-changes-intensity-according-to-the-price-of-bitcoin-cam-soda-lovense-bitchat-2182170
It's not really unicorn related, but it's mildly amusing. Someone's come out with a vibrator that changes intensity based on the price of bitcoin

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Awwww you guys beat me to posting the iced tea company that put blockchain in its name and raised its stock price by 200% overnight.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

T-man's LongFish Ridesharing Blockchain Marijuana and Juice Suppliers Inc. shares now available for the low, low price of $500 or RND()*50000 bitcoins each.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

withak posted:

April 1 coming earlier every year.

2017 will be remembered as "The Year Every Day Was Fool's Day".

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And we'll reminisce fondly how all that was the worst thing we had to worry about.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I wish the nazi resurgence thing was a joke...

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Moatman posted:

http://www.nme.com/news/you-can-now-get-a-sex-toy-that-changes-intensity-according-to-the-price-of-bitcoin-cam-soda-lovense-bitchat-2182170
It's not really unicorn related, but it's mildly amusing. Someone's come out with a vibrator that changes intensity based on the price of bitcoin

oh boy a vibrator that simulates erectile disfunction

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 22, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

poemdexter posted:

I wish the nazi resurgence thing was a joke...

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/942789560941064193

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

"Chain Migration also undermines national security, by failing to establish merit-based criteria for evaluating entrants into the United States – instead, familial relations are all that is required to obtain a green card and, in turn, become a voting U.S. Citizen within a short period of time, with access to Federal welfare and government benefits."

Uh... how does this undermine national security?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
"Something something those fuckers our poo poo"

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

That immigration thing is just trying to dogwhistle refugees and dreamers again. The whole slideshow is an attempt to contrast "skill-based" immigrants with all the other categories of immigrants, who are then presented as a cohesive unit of talentless wellfare queens. I'm guessing the new anti-immigration talking point will be "we should prioritize work-based visas" rather than "brown people fleeing warzones are bad and scary" or "children who've lived their entire lives in america are unamerican".

I'm starting to think we need a Lee Atwater smiley.

Serous
Jul 31, 2010
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/12/bitcoins-price-is-down-33-percent-from-highs-earlier-this-week/

Pop goes the bubble. It dropped to 12k tho its starting to climb up again. 14.5k at the time of this posting.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Moatman posted:

Did anyone say buttcoin yet??

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Serous posted:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/12/bitcoins-price-is-down-33-percent-from-highs-earlier-this-week/

Pop goes the bubble. It dropped to 12k tho its starting to climb up again. 14.5k at the time of this posting.

A huge number of idiots who didn't buy in the first time will do so this round, which will allow others to liquidate their positions and probably drive the price back to where it was 12 months ago.

RIP the idiots who put in their life savings at $19k. :laffo:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
On the other hand, I could totally see buttcoin go up to $100k (and then down to $30k and up to $120k and down to $1k and up to $110k and down to $0.05) in the next decade, offering even greater potential for schadenfreude and cheap laffs.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

People seem to think BTC will be a hedge in case of a traditional economic downturn. I have no idea why they think this, I don't believe it's counter-cyclical at all.

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
concept: batcoin

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Aliquid posted:

People seem to think BTC will be a hedge in case of a traditional economic downturn. I have no idea why they think this, I don't believe it's counter-cyclical at all.

They think this because they believe in discredited economic theories like commodity-backed currency and laissez-faire.

You can tell because they take Bitcoin seriously.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

eschaton posted:

They think this because they believe in discredited economic theories like commodity-backed currency and laissez-faire.

You can tell because they take Bitcoin seriously.

Some guy brought up the use of Bitcoin in Venezuela and Zimbabwe AS A PLUS.

Did not back down when I mocked him essentially pushing a currency mostly used in black markets as a plus.

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Did not back down when I mocked him essentially pushing a currency mostly used in black markets as a plus.

never argue sincerely with a bitcoiner, they have endless patience due to their participation in a currency that is solely based on market confidence

edit - commodity, cryptocurrencies cannot by any reasonable definition be called a currency

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

pfizerman posted:

never argue sincerely with a bitcoiner, they have endless patience due to their participation in a currency that is solely based on market confidence

edit - commodity, cryptocurrencies cannot by any reasonable definition be called a currency

Currently it's a currency; in future it will be a pastry. :v:

I don't know if he's a "bitcoiner" as much as a "libertarian who surprisingly always has the shittiest take on every single thing that ever comes up that I've ever seen him respond to".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know if he's a "bitcoiner" as much as a "libertarian who surprisingly always has the shittiest take on every single thing that ever comes up that I've ever seen him respond to".

There's a difference?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Inescapable Duck posted:

There's a difference?

Pretty sure not all bitcoiners are stupid libertarians. Some of them are stupid for different reasons. :v:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Being Bitcoiners they’re at least Libertarian-adjacent, which is still plenty shameful.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

eschaton posted:

Being Bitcoiners they’re at least Libertarian-adjacent, which is still plenty shameful.

Being a bitcoiner is its own shame.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Both "use cases" are basically bullshit. Approximately nobody uses bitcoin in either country. Every story in the news about bitcoins in Venezuela is a few local libertarians pumping it up, usually elecctricity thieves.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
There was some noise about the Venezuelan government launching its own cryptocurrency. Which is Good News For Bitcoin, probably.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Polygynous posted:

Good News For Bitcoin
http://bitcalc.beepboopbitcoin.com/

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

pretend i posted brazilian_child_sex_assault_bitcoin.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

boner confessor posted:

pretend i posted brazilian_child_sex_assault_bitcoin.txt

actually :smug:, the age of consent is 14 in some countries