Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I note a distinct lack of "gently caress the Yankees" in the thread title, I hope if they get Cole for very little this can be rectified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

I note a distinct lack of "gently caress the Yankees" in the thread title, I hope if they get Cole for very little this can be rectified

The only one whose going to gently caress the Yankees is Cole with the billion dingers he's going to give up in Yankee Stadium.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros are apparently talking to Darvish? Which would make for an awkward clubhouse but also an amazing rotation :stare:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Cards Against Humanity bought the naming rights for a minor league stadium in Joliet and named it "The Cards Against Humanity Baseball Place."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

The Astros are apparently talking to Darvish? Which would make for an awkward clubhouse but also an amazing rotation :stare:

The Cubs, Twins, and Astros are apparently in fairly hard on Darvish, the Rangers are in the mix too albeit less so, and the Dodgers/Yankees are reportedly kicking the tires to see if they can get him to drop his price low enough to for them to stay under the tax this year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'd be shocked if the Astros signed him, they're already about where they want their payroll to be after the estimated arbitration raises

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sydin posted:

The Cubs, Twins, and Astros are apparently in fairly hard on Darvish, the Rangers are in the mix too albeit less so, and the Dodgers/Yankees are reportedly kicking the tires to see if they can get him to drop his price low enough to for them to stay under the tax this year.

I could have sworn someone mentioning the Twins were in on Cole, too, but there’s no way they compete with the Yankees.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

I see no way the Yankees could possibly get this done unless they manage to jettison Ellsbury's contract. Which would be a loving coup.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Currently lobbying for Memphis to play in “Vlaada Chvatil is Better” Park.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Gleyber/Ellsbury for Cole :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:perfect:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

And somewhere in his Trump cave, Arrieta is thinking to himself, "Pitchers are popular, why won't anyone talk to me for 7 / 200?"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The idea of a Verlander/Keuchel/Darvish/McCullers/Morton or Peacock rotation gets me moist, but I also got super erect at the idea of injecting Stanton in the lineup and welp

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Isn’t Minaya very good at some things, and just hopelessly out of his depth as GM?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

I could have sworn someone mentioning the Twins were in on Cole, too, but there’s no way they compete with the Yankees.

They talked at the winter meetings but the Pirates were asking for Gordon + a couple pitchers I don't remember Granite and Tyler Jay

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Pancakes posted:

I appreciate this.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This rules, CAH is fun

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I would rather spend money on Darvish, trade for Corbin, poo poo even sign Alex Cobb over trading anything worth a drat for Cole.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
What happened to Cole anyways. Specifically his HR/9... It was great for 4 straight years and then essentially tripled last year.

Also, didn't realize the Yankees drafted him out of high school in the first round, offered a big 'ol signing bonus, and he went to college anyways.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What happened to Cole anyways. Specifically his HR/9... It was great for 4 straight years and then essentially tripled last year.

Jeff Sullivan was actually asked something similar in FanGraphs chat today.

quote:

Matt E G: How much of Gerrit Cole’s high HR/FB% last year was bad luck vs throwing far less fastballs and more changeups in order to decrease stress on his elbow? Seems to me he’s valued way too high right now and he may be heading to Matt Harvey territory…

Jeff Sullivan: Absolutely no reason to worry about a little home-run blip like that. These things practically always regress. You won’t find signal in a one-year home-run bump. If you believe Statcast, Cole is actually coming off his lowest average EV allowed, in three years.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Also, didn't realize the Yankees drafted him out of high school in the first round, offered a big 'ol signing bonus, and he went to college anyways.

The Yankees never offered him a signing bonus. The Yankees waited to talk to Cole until August when most of their picks signed because they knew they’d have to exceed the recommended bonus and by then Cole and his family decided that he would enroll at UCLA. They told the Yankees not to make an offer, so they didn’t.

A lot of Yankees fans are also angry about this possible trade for Cole because they feel like he burned them by wasting a first rounder, when it was the Yankees’ own fault in selecting him when he was really leaning towards going to college.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ihatepants posted:

The Yankees never offered him a signing bonus. The Yankees waited to talk to Cole until August when most of their picks signed because they knew they’d have to exceed the recommended bonus and by then Cole and his family decided that he would enroll at UCLA. They told the Yankees not to make an offer, so they didn’t.

A lot of Yankees fans are also angry about this possible trade for Cole because they feel like he burned them by wasting a first rounder, when it was the Yankees’ own fault in selecting him when he was really leaning towards going to college.

Ah I totally did read that wrong, it definitely said "planning to give large bonus." My bad!

I mean if the version of Cole they are trading for is version 2013-16 its probably a great trade. He did have a bad year last year, though.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This rules, CAH is fun

Counterpoint: Cards Against Humanity is mildly amusing for 15 mins or so then becomes unbearably tedious for the rest of your life; anyone who genuinely wants to play it a second time is a simpleton or a sociopath.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

elentar posted:

Counterpoint: Cards Against Humanity is mildly amusing for 15 mins or so then becomes unbearably tedious for the rest of your life; anyone who genuinely wants to play it a second time is a simpleton or a sociopath.

I dread going to parties and instead of, you know, like talking to people and getting to know them, someone just pulls out CAH and we spent the next 90 minutes trapped in this hell game until we finally get sick of it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
CAH is fun if you’re playing it with good friends that have a handle on everyone’s sense of humor, but I can’t fathom why anyone would play it at a party with total strangers

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
CAH is cool and good and easy for 10+ people to play and have a good time. If you don't want to play it then don't and spend the rest of your evening setting up your Gloomhaven board and drinking alone.

I prefer Telestrations or something like that but CAH is fine, and I don't even own CAH.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

Hooray, I'm not crazy!

ihatepants posted:

I don't know if Yankees fans are angry about it, but lots of people seem to be under the impression that Cashman will overpay because Cole is "one that got away." They said the same thing during the Quintana rumors.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Drawful is the best party game anyway

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I bet a lot of pitchers' hr/fb spiked last season, on account of the baseballs being juiced

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

CAH isn’t even the best party game that one of the co-creators made. That would be Secret Hitler.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

He realized that the Pirates management wasn't going to do anything to win a championship and did what most good to great players who have been on the Pirates for the last 20 odd years of done, stop giving a poo poo and hope to get traded to a better team.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

I bet a lot of pitchers' hr/fb spiked last season, on account of the baseballs being juiced

Yeah but the question remains if they can get it back down, unless you think they're gonna un-juice the ball in time for opening day.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/status/944321834543087616

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Pancakes posted:

A+ post right here.

People should check out Baseball Highlights 2045. It's a deck builder about baseball in the future with robots and cyborgs with hilarious names like Jon Sale or Calyton Scherzer.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

ChiTownEddie posted:

A+ post right here.

People should check out Baseball Highlights 2045. It's a deck builder about baseball in the future with robots and cyborgs with hilarious names like Jon Sale or Calyton Scherzer.

homer_simpson_yelling_neeeeeeeerds.wmv

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Comptroll The Forums posted:

homer_simpson_yelling_neeeeeeeerds.wmv

Nobody tell him we have a goon-based ootp dynasties.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Manfred went and tattled to ESPN after Dan Le Batard/Stugotz/The Shipping Container didn't show enough #RE2PECT to the new Marlins management

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angry Grimace posted:

Most fans I know who are hardcore enough to know anything about their team’s farm system are in love with all of their own prospects and generally balk at trading them for almost anything.

Years of having Dave Dombrowski as a GM of the Tigers has taught me that all prospects are a mirage and holding back my team from fleecing the Marlins.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
CAH is best played with like 6-10 good friends to wind down from a game night. Anything else is tedious insanity.

Plus this little batch of cards gave us "teaching my son to love the Red Sox and hate minorities" and "we want a pitcher not a ________!"

which are both pro-tier cards

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

64% of respondents are negative toward the trade. That dude's interpretation of his own poll makes my head hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The best game of CAH I have ever played, and this is a game I normally don't like playing, was with two groups that didn't really know one another. One of the guys from the other group became increasingly frustrated when his answers weren't being picked by members from our group, and finally just yelled out, "WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU EVEN FIND FUNNY?"

• Locked thread