Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Some cards were simplified because they were put into the starter decks, such as Combat Engineer. Others got changed into less situational cards (Lubberkin, Botchling, Wyvern, Fiend, etc) because no one ever used them the way they were. Some cards were certainly simplified but that post dismisses the fact that a bunch of those cards were simply too situational the way they worked before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Double Bill posted:

I haven't played this in a while, but this patch looks godawful: https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/7krbyw/dumbed_down_or_simplified_cards/

Did they give any reasoning besides the obvious "we want to make this more Hearthstoney"?

complexity for complexity's sake isn't good. some of these cards needed the change because they were god-awful (wyvern). some were changed to kill interactions that were unintended (dimeritium shackles). some aren't actually less complex but help shape certain approaches to be more clear (dagon).

the game has plenty of complexity still and with all the new cards there are even more possibilities than before. interestingly, the cards with RNG elements that reddit also loves to bitch about add complexity to the game as well.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, almost every single one of these was a card that was never played and was being made more powerful and less situational like fiend or assasin. I felt like I hadn't seen a single combat engineer, wyvern, fiend, lubberkin, ale, etc. Not a single player using those cards at any rank. Exceptions are dagon (no one ever picked frost anyway), fringilla and letho (presumable they don't want fringilla + ambassadors coming back), and dshackles (mill can stay dead), and field medic, which is the only actual loss.

Oh, all the 'play this from deck' triples are the same stats, so northern realms and scoiatel ones are better. Doesn't really bother me, but I guess I'm in the minority, there.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

What people should be focusing on is the stupid amount of bugs or cards that simply don't work as the text says they should on the current patch (and to be fair there are some threads about it), not """"dumbed down"""" cards or "muhh cards RNG :qq:"

Why did CDPR only make the PTR last one day is beyond me

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Strongly agree with that. Literal incorrect text like spotter and the 'clicking too fast bug' giving you only two consumes on arachas queen and such.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013

frajaq posted:

Its pretty clear with the amount of bugs, exploits and wrong card texts that made it in that they rushed this patch out for christmas.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

frajaq posted:

What people should be focusing on is the stupid amount of bugs or cards that simply don't work as the text says they should on the current patch (and to be fair there are some threads about it), not """"dumbed down"""" cards or "muhh cards RNG :qq:"

yeah 100% this. the release was very obviously premature.

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy
Free Arachas Queens given out to everyone

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Despite everything I dislike about the patch, I found a fun mulligan variant again. half elf hunters, mahakam volunteers, wardancers and BLUE MOUNTAIN COMMANDOS and triss butt can add up to a lot of points in a long round

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

LOL. Forfeits don’t count as wins towards the new daily quests.

Edit: never mind it must have been glitched.

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 23, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

MarshyMcFly posted:

LOL. Forfeits don’t count as wins towards the new daily quests.

great I know what to do when faced with NG Spies/SK Bears now

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Overall I'm happy with the patch, but the huge number of bugs need to get fixed, create shouldn't spawn spies ever (even on Hym for example) and there needs to be some minor balance tuning.

A lot of the changes make sense going forward, like removing regressing and veteran, but timing the changes for the release of a major card expansion kind of led to the expansion not changing as much as people expected. Old archetypes were nerfed or sometimes removed and new archetypes are only half fleshed out (such as moonlight). Also the rushed nature meant that they couldn't even make the changes make sense across the board; shieldmaidens were probably supposed to become Tuirseach so they can actually get buffed like all the other "pull two more" cards such as the new dorfs, temerian infantryman, etc etc.

As far as balance... Generic bear token shouldn't have curse and maybe needs 1 less point, restore probably needs another redesign entirely, greatswords and tuirseach could use a buff to make up for the huge freya nerf, enforcer shouldn't have been buffed, monsters needs some minor buffs kind of... everywhere, but imo especially just some buffs to d'ao and rotfiend, maybe try foglet at 5, stuff like that but mostly just points going up or down by 1 in a lot of places in every faction.

Goblin posted:

hell yeah time to play some triss butt monster swarm

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

brb tanking my rank

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

GoldenPrice posted:

Its pretty clear with the amount of bugs, exploits and wrong card texts that made it in that they rushed this patch out for christmas.

https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/932224394541314055

haha

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

frajaq posted:

brb tanking my rank

btw, the numbers on this for those interested

Each season end, from 4000-4250 mmr you'd be booted to 2000-2125 MMR.

All of the rank rewards below 13, which is 2,250 mmr, include

Rank 12: 2k, 150 scraps
Rank 11: 1750, 4 kegs
Rank 10, 1500: 200 meteorite powder
Rank 9: 1300, 125 scraps
Rank 8: 1100, 3 kegs
Rank 7: 900, 100 scraps
Rank 6: 750, 2 kegs
Rank 5: 600, 100 meteorite powder
Rank 4: 450, 1 keg
Rank 3: 300, 50 scraps
Rank 2: 150, 1 keg
In total, 11 kegs, 425 scraps, 300 meteorite powder.

in summary, tank mmr to sub 3000 if you want 200 meteorite powder + 4 kegs, tank to sub 3500 if you want 4 kegs, anything else and you'll probably need more than 6 round wins a day for a month to get back to 4k MMR.

considering rewards may get reduced, there's a good chance it probably won't even be worth tanking mmr more than like a hundred points to hit some break point. they may just change it to setting your mmr to half your current rank instead, to stop people doing that.

Minera fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 23, 2017

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Also holy poo poo what did they do to the premium cards in this game???? I can barely play my main deck because of the lag from my premiums on my PS4. Makes me really wish I had a pro or a pc :(

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Is GwentTracker broken for you guys too?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

MarshyMcFly posted:

Also holy poo poo what did they do to the premium cards in this game???? I can barely play my main deck because of the lag from my premiums on my PS4. Makes me really wish I had a pro or a pc :(

i have a laptop that really struggles with more than 1 premium card too, for some reason they are especially bad in game and in the card collection it's not as brutal

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Minrad posted:

in summary, tank mmr to sub 3000 if you want 200 meteorite powder + 4 kegs, tank to sub 3500 if you want 4 kegs, anything else and you'll probably need more than 6 round wins a day for a month to get back to 4k MMR.

considering rewards may get reduced, there's a good chance it probably won't even be worth tanking mmr more than like a hundred points to hit some break point. they may just change it to setting your mmr to half your current rank instead, to stop people doing that.

lol if that happens in the current mood people have towards CDPR

in any case I'm gonna wait some time before tanking just to see if CDPR didn't word that very well/go back on their word/need to clarify more

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Goblin posted:

My scraps :saddowns:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

GwentTracker is broken and the creator said he won't update it, but instead release a bettee version before the end of the year IIRC from the reddit post they made

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Knowlue posted:

Is GwentTracker broken for you guys too?

GwentUP is working if you need something while you wait for GwentTracker.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCImRDh0pHw

great video

it's really disheartening to see someone as good at the game as Petrify tear apart every aspect of Gwent and what CDPR is doing. "This game, right now, as of the time of this video, is worse than what it was in closed beta."

Like, uh, drat. I'm used to seeing him salty about things like coinflip (and he does bring it up in this video), but he finishes going over the patch at like 9 minutes in and keeps tearing into Gwent.

Minera fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 23, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yeah this whole situation just reeks of behind-the-scenes stuff in CDPR that we'll never know about

They do get to see most of the data of whats going on in the game that we don't

Maybe they're seeing that a lot of new players are getting confused at the old, complex cards and want something simpler

Maybe they know the money is on the mobile market and faster/easier to understand cards are better for that

Maybe gwent is actually making them lose money and they desperately want to change something about the game

Maybe the upper tier of management just straight up told the design team to suck it and make the game easier/more accessible regardless of what they think is the best for the game

e: or maybe they just suck at making card games lmao

frajaq fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 23, 2017

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
The patch has plenty of bullshit associated with it, and I do hope they fix and rework as necessary, but I still keep it all in perspective. At the end of the day, Gwent at its absolute worst is still a big step up from Hearthstone at its absolute best. Even with the reduced rewards, Gwent is still best or near-best in class for generosity in this genre of game. It's still beta, so I'm hoping they get these major overhauls and experiments out of the way now. CDPR has earned some patience from me for doing a pretty solid job with the game up to this point.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I think they have a really muddy vision of where they want to go with the game and what the "finished" product should be. It's neat that they will make drastic changes, but the various changes don't feel in sync and the game has gone all over the place.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Part of their problem is that the game is in for real actual beta, not a glorified demo or soft release as people have now been conditioned to expect when they hear that term.

They gently caress up a whole lot and lurch around but they're also extremely more responsive about their fuckups than, say, blizzard, which instead of swerving will always stay the course in the most idiotic boring fashion possible. It may not all come together in the end but I respect that they're clearly trying. In the worst case we trust in thronebreaker, which is a pretty safe bet to own

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

Minrad posted:

great video

it's really disheartening to see someone as good at the game as Petrify tear apart every aspect of Gwent and what CDPR is doing. "This game, right now, as of the time of this video, is worse than what it was in closed beta."

Like, uh, drat. I'm used to seeing him salty about things like coinflip (and he does bring it up in this video), but he finishes going over the patch at like 9 minutes in and keeps tearing into Gwent.

I suck poo poo at this game and don't play that much, but Gwent isn't as fun as used to be for me.

The whole 'every card is agile' thing probably makes balancing a lot easier, but it killed the flavor of the game, like, there isn't any war metaphor left in the game.
Also the choice of choosing what row to summon your units doesn't feel intuitive and meaningful - rather than feeling like reading your opponent's minds, the mechanic only comes to my mind when I make stupid mistakes getting my units igni'd because I was not thinking about rows.

I'm pretty sure there are still a lot of mind games and reading your opponent's hands in competitive level, but in my scrub skill tier, it feels less like that than before. The game feels so much more about finding card interactions that works and deck building, which I'm not good at all and probably rather just find a deck online.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
i've been playing since closed beta and with the amount of sweeping changes that the game has had i think it's pretty obvious that they're not sure what they want to do with the game

kinda done with the game tbh

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Minrad posted:

great video

Ha, I knew I wasn't crazy. When someone said the Spotter not targeting gold units was a new change, I felt like I had been a huge idiot because I had forgotten to read the card. But nope, Spotter just straight up doesn't mention that. Geez, Gwent.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I found that video hilarious. "Create is too strong, you shoudn't be able to win a game by being lucky!" while playing a game with card draw is silly. Maybe because I'm not playing for money or fame or whatever.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Seedge posted:

I found that video hilarious. "Create is too strong, you shoudn't be able to win a game by being lucky!" while playing a game with card draw is silly. Maybe because I'm not playing for money or fame or whatever.

I think I'm still at the shitter ranks because I haven't seen any SK abuse the Hym Creates Spies thing, so maybe it's a problem only the #1% of Gwent cares about

e: oh yeah also gently caress him for saying Closed Beta was better than currently it is, Closed Beta was loving miserable to play as a new player

frajaq fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 23, 2017

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I haven't run into anyone fishing for silver spies from hym or runestones at rank 18 ish, but joke is on them: I'm playing bad decks without silver spies :smuggo:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

honestly just delete the silver spies from the game

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

singateco posted:

I suck poo poo at this game and don't play that much, but Gwent isn't as fun as used to be for me.

The whole 'every card is agile' thing probably makes balancing a lot easier, but it killed the flavor of the game, like, there isn't any war metaphor left in the game.
Also the choice of choosing what row to summon your units doesn't feel intuitive and meaningful - rather than feeling like reading your opponent's minds, the mechanic only comes to my mind when I make stupid mistakes getting my units igni'd because I was not thinking about rows.

I'm pretty sure there are still a lot of mind games and reading your opponent's hands in competitive level, but in my scrub skill tier, it feels less like that than before. The game feels so much more about finding card interactions that works and deck building, which I'm not good at all and probably rather just find a deck online.

This is fair criticism. I also think they messed up when they expanded agility to all units, both thematically and mechanically. Being able to predict where units were probably going to go and play around that was one of my favorite aspects of open beta patch 1 fog monsters. I got to the point where I was winning games on the back of knowing where to put fog pre-emptively, along with good frightener use (frightener's ability of course no longer makes sense, it's more like attractor now). I haven't been that "in tune" with a deck since then, though Radovid Bloody Baron control got somewhat close.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I don't want to beat a dead horse about other points that have been made, but I for one have been really, really disappointed by how lovely they have executed some things lately.

The faction challenge reward handout was completely botched. The correct move was to give SK Supporters a premium Lugos.

Nobody is complaining about the Midwinter Challenge because it was so easy I think they have forgotten it was even a thing already. I'm not asking for them to be balls hard, but it should maybe at least be memorable?

Arachas Queen being handed out? Thanks. No, really, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, I really appreciate it. But what about those poor bastards that already got it out of a pack or crafted it? I think the better move was to have given a 48 hour period of full milling the queen for anyone in that boat, and then closing that window and handing it out.

Speaking of full milling, there are a SHITLOAD of cards that should have been eligible for it with the patch. I'm fine if they decide certain mechanics or whatever need changed for the future of the game, but if that is the case, let me get my investment back on those cards if I think what you changed them into is now a dumpster fire that in no way resembles what I thought I had invested into. Maybe they will enable this later, but it shouldn't be later, they dropped the ball on this.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

In lighter news I made a dumb meme deck based on the American military adage "If we don't know what we're doing, the enemy certainly can't anticipate our future actions!"

Usurper

Uma
Avalla'ch the Sage
Blue Dream
Aguara True Form

Summoning Circle
Johnny
Dazhbog Runestone
Dorregagray
Portcullis
Decoy

Doppler x 3
Vicovaro Medic x 3
Slave Driver x 3
Ointment x 3
Magne Division x 3

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

jeez I know you're memeing but there's no reason to use Dorregaray, he's that bad now

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

frajaq posted:

jeez I know you're memeing but there's no reason to use Dorregaray, he's that bad now

Is there a better Silver random card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Seedge posted:

Is there a better Silver random card?

fringilla to pull johnnny again1?!?!?!?

edit : wait I mean assire