Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Samopsa posted:

It's up, the song they chose is The Lovers from Add Violence.
http://songexploder.net/nine-inch-nails
If Trent ever wrote an autobiography and did the audiobook for it himself, I think I'd be the happiest person alive :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If Trent ever wrote an autobiography and did the audiobook for it himself, I think I'd be the happiest person alive :swoon:

Will never happen.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah I don't think Trent's really the autobiography type, probably not even the authorized biography type. He's always been really a really private person.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I know, I just adore hearing him speak about what he loves and I think there's insight to be gained from it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah I don't think Trent's really the autobiography type, probably not even the authorized biography type. He's always been really a really private person.

I could see him writing a sort of in depth technical breakdown of the recording process of each album and how they put all the tours together. which would be cool to read.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR_2sbeuNTU

They put this out earlier.

I'm seeing them for the 4th time on Saturday night in Houston. So loving hype.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR_2sbeuNTU

They put this out earlier.

I'm seeing them for the 4th time on Saturday night in Houston. So loving hype.

I will be the bearded guy with a t-shirt and glasses. Say Hi!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/942068415740571648

Tonight's their first show in almost 2 months, where the setlist was as follows:

I drove 5 hours away for it and I'm loving stoked. If the setlist tonight is anything like that last one, I'll be happy. I'm real interested to hear the songs from both the new EPs since it'll be my first time seeing them play those live.

Letting You is an interesting choice too since they haven't played that in a long time, have they?

e: Huh, setlist.fm says they played it 14 times in 2014, but they didn't play it when I saw them in 2014 (the Houston show at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion).

e2: Holy gently caress, I was looking up the setlists for their previous shows I've seen and the first time I saw them in New Orleans in 2008 had an absolutely bonkers setlist :eyepop:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 16, 2017

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Tonight's their first show in almost 2 months, where the setlist was as follows:

I drove 5 hours away for it and I'm loving stoked. If the setlist tonight is anything like that last one, I'll be happy. I'm real interested to hear the songs from both the new EPs since it'll be my first time seeing them play those live.

Wow. I hope you enjoyed the somewhat varied and shorted set list. It was a super tight experience seeing him with the weather as an added aesthetic, but I'm disappointed that we got denied "Burning Bright (Field of Fire)" live.

Did you dig the rest of the festival?

hatelull fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 20, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

hatelull posted:

Wow. I hope you enjoyed the somewhat varied and shorted set list. It was an super tight experience seeing him with the weather as an added aesthetic, but I'm disappointed that we got denied "Burning Bright (Field of Fire)" live.

Did you dig the rest of the festival?
Yeah, the hour I got to see of it ruled. I was pretty bummed that they left the stage and didn't come back though :( At Day for Night last year, Aphex Twin played while it rained and they didn't cut his set short or anything.

And yeah, I saw this on setlist.fm later and that made me pretty sad:

But The Background World was a great set closer, even if it was completely unintentional.

After NIN left the stage, the festival staff was being dicks and basically forced me to leave. I had to Uber back to my hotel (which was 10 miles away from the fest), and since it was surging after NIN ended, the ride would've cost me $60. There was no way I was paying that, so I waited outside for an hour and a half in the cold in my soaking wet clothes for the price to go down. Finally the lowest it got was $45, so I just said "gently caress it" and paid that and went back to the hotel.

Basically poo poo sucked from the minute NIN left the stage so I didn't even go back Sunday haha. Pussy Riot owned a whole lot on Saturday, though. It was worth it for them and the hour of NIN I got to see.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Yeah, the hour I got to see of it ruled. I was pretty bummed that they left the stage and didn't come back though :( At Day for Night last year, Aphex Twin played while it rained and they didn't cut his set short or anything.

After NIN left the stage, the festival staff was being dicks and basically forced me to leave.

The rain thing is weird for sure. I remember it being extremely windy and the rain coming down at an angle, but he was still making robots gently caress on stage. All I can offer is that when they shut NIN down, the rain was pretty much pouring straight down fairly steady. I'm surprised they forced you to leave though? There was a lack of communication from the DFN staff, (which is something they need to improve) but I think they had decided earlier in the day that all outdoor shows were ending at 10. Tyler was still going after they shut the red stage down. We debated staying since there was some good stuff on the Blue and Yellow stages but the crowd to get back inside was insane so we just bailed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

hatelull posted:

The rain thing is weird for sure. I remember it being extremely windy and the rain coming down at an angle, but he was still making robots gently caress on stage. All I can offer is that when they shut NIN down, the rain was pretty much pouring straight down fairly steady. I'm surprised they forced you to leave though? There was a lack of communication from the DFN staff, (which is something they need to improve) but I think they had decided earlier in the day that all outdoor shows were ending at 10. Tyler was still going after they shut the red stage down. We debated staying since there was some good stuff on the Blue and Yellow stages but the crowd to get back inside was insane so we just bailed.
Yeah, starting with Pussy Riot, they cut every afternoon/evening set short in an attempt to end at 10 to beat the rain. That didn't work though because it started raining at like 7:30 or 8 anyway.

I really hate walking in massive crowds (makes me panic), so at festivals like that, I tend to wait until the crowd has thinned out to leave. The security staff wasn't even letting me hang around to breathe for a minute. Then when I got close to the gate, they were literally telling people "You have to either get inside or leave the premises." I wanted to see some artists at the Yellow stage, but like you said, it looked packed as gently caress inside and I'd heard from multiple sources that it smelled like piss inside so I just left.

I'm far enough away from it now to be able to appreciate the good parts of the festival and my trip there, but also it was mismanaged enough (partially due to what I've said earlier and partially due to other issues listed in that article you linked) that I won't be going back in the future.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Here are some short videos I found from it, but yeah, it ruled while it lasted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms_moAPbV0U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKoamiuUVE0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOIBspiqbGk

Because of the rain/smoke machines/lights, they appeared as shadowy figures for most of the set.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
Fuuuuuuuck, Reptile is so loving good. I think that's one of the few of my top NIN songs that I haven't seen them play live yet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sai-kun posted:

Fuuuuuuuck, Reptile is so loving good. I think that's one of the few of my top NIN songs that I haven't seen them play live yet.
I've been lucky enough to see it 3 out of the 4 times I've seen them and it's sooooooooooo good live :swoon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, I'm watching some of these old live from rehearsal videos and they loving rule:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZmXLlytvIg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmULtDnBw7E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ulwvhpwDXs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg4Yif8yniQ

You can really see the raw energy Trent is fueling into these.

Also Josh Freese is a loving insane drummer, Jesus Christ

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 23, 2017

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
https://youtu.be/MrPnwLjZbHs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

'tis the season to fist gently caress

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this was a good shot

Only registered members can see post attachments!

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
The episode "Crocodile" from the new series of Black Mirror was scored by 12 Rounds.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm watching old videos of NIN/Bowie playing together live and honestly this is probably the best version of Hurt that has ever existed and will ever exist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Wlwg7DKPw

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

I'm watching old videos of NIN/Bowie playing together live and honestly this is probably the best version of Hurt that has ever existed and will ever exist:

I was there opening night of that tour, first real show I'd ever been to. :cool:

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Molestationary Store posted:

I was there opening night of that tour, first real show I'd ever been to. :cool:

That was the first time I ever paid through the nose to get front row/center seats for any concert, just behind the GA pit section. I was astonished when people started walking out to get beer as soon as Bowie took the stage. I mean... WTF?

On a different note, it's 2018. Where's the third EP Trent!? HUH? HUH!?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Stryder posted:

That was the first time I ever paid through the nose to get front row/center seats for any concert, just behind the GA pit section. I was astonished when people started walking out to get beer as soon as Bowie took the stage. I mean... WTF?

On a different note, it's 2018. Where's the third EP Trent!? HUH? HUH!?
I updated the OP with this recently because despite Trent promising it in an interview, unless the cover of the Halloween theme was a major NIN release (it was majorly cool to me at least :v:), we didn't get it :smith:

2) Trent gave an interview on Beats 1 Radio, including the following statement:

Rolling Stone posted:

"I'm teeing up the next quote I'll have to live up to, but the idea has been to do two new major works come out next year," Reznor said, adding that the "major works" would be released under the Nine Inch Nails umbrella, as opposed to Reznor and Atticus Ross' film score work.

(January 2018 edit: To my knowledge, the only NIN releases in 2017 were the Add Violence EP, The Fragile Deviations 1 physical release which came a year after the digital release and their version of the Halloween theme.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
He's still on track for the third EP, it would come out somewhere around early spring by the timeline he's given. Not holding my breath for that other major work though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I mean the first 2 EPs didn't come out particularly far apart from each other, so I trust him if he says he's got another one in the pipeline, but given that it's Trent, I don't think it's reasonable to expect it to come out on schedule.

I thought he originally said he wanted to have them all out by the time the 2017 tour cycle wrapped up, but that didn't happen.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I recall an "about 8 months between EPs" timeline. So late December 2016, then late July 2017 (so that was 7), and 8 months after that would be late March 2018.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

You can’t expect King Gizzard productivity out of (NIN)Trent.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Johnny Cash did it better.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MikeyTsi posted:

Johnny Cash did it better.
You're dead to me.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
He did tho. Trent agrees.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Better than TR's studio version, that doesn't mean it's better than the Outside tour version. 'nd yeah, where's that third EP at? :colbert:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

Trent's wrong about his own song then. I love some of Cash's other music, but that song suuuuuuucks and is overplayed to death by now and it always annoys me when people don't know there's an original and think Cash wrote that song.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Trent's wrong about his own song then. I love some of Cash's other music, but that song suuuuuuucks and is overplayed to death by now and it always annoys me when people don't know there's an original and think Cash wrote that song.

Agreed, I think Cash's cover is great but the original is better. I also listened to a ton of Further Down the Spiral's version(along with the rest of that album) when it came out.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Get off my lawn, you drat degenerate kids.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The way an artist relates to his song is often different from the way others do. I think for Trent, the song is so intensely personal to him, and yet also intensely personal to Johnny Cash when he covered it, that it kind of had to be one or the other after that point. As he often says, it was like seeing someone else with his girlfriend. He couldn't just feel "cool" with it like it was no big deal, he had to either take it back or break up with it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

That doesn't seem to accurately represent what Trent said back closer to when it came out:

quote:

"I'd been friends with Rick Rubin for several years. He called me to ask how I'd feel if Johnny Cash covered Hurt. I said I'd be very flattered but was given no indication it would actually be recorded.

"Hearing it was like someone kissing your girlfriend."

"Two weeks went by. Then I got a CD in the post. I listened to it and it was very strange. It was this other person inhabiting my most personal song.

"I'd known where I was when I wrote it. I know what I was thinking about. I know how I felt. Hearing it was like someone kissing your girlfriend. It felt invasive".

It was the moving video, though, that made it all fall into place for the Nine Inch Nails star: "It really, really made sense and I thought what a powerful piece of art.

"I never got to meet Johnny but I'm happy I contributed the way I did. It felt like a warm hug. For anyone who hasn't seen it, I highly recommend checking it out. I have goose bumps right now thinking about it.

"Having Johnny Cash, one of the greatest singer-songwriters of all time, want to cover your song, that's something that matters to me. It's not so much what other people think but the fact that this guy felt that it was worthy of interpreting.

"He said afterwards it was a song that sounds like one he would have written in the '60s and that's wonderful".

If he later said he preferred Johnny Cash's version, are you expecting him to really not say that about a dead music hero - even if he didn't really believe it?

Cash's version was good but the original is still the best IMO.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

MikeyTsi posted:

Get off my lawn, you drat degenerate kids.

Hey you sound just like Trent's neighbor!

http://www.tmz.com/2018/01/16/trent-reznor-nine-inch-nails-restraining-order-neighbor/

Also the Cash version of Hurt has it's own awesome take to it, but the raw/drained/drugfueld emotion for some of Reznor's intent to the song and album just aren't there.

The Bowie/NiN live version is still may fav.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The Cash version is very good, but I’ve grown to hate it due to drunk idiots that seem to pop up at every bar I go to and think it’s a good song to play on the jukebox. Seriously what the gently caress I’m trying to not be depressed out here man.