Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Twin Cinema posted:

The best game of CAH I have ever played, and this is a game I normally don't like playing, was with two groups that didn't really know one another. One of the guys from the other group became increasingly frustrated when his answers weren't being picked by members from our group, and finally just yelled out, "WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU EVEN FIND FUNNY?"

It almost always devolves into well-thought-out Ironic Racism vs. Monkey Cheese, even in groups with relatively decent senses of humor.

My biggest problem is that I tend to sit with 6-8 dead/edge case cards in my hand that are only funny (even in a monkey cheese way) in really specific cases or only make syntactic sense in black cards of a certain construction. So the grammar nerd/writer part of me gets frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

rickiep00h posted:

It almost always devolves into well-thought-out Ironic Racism vs. Monkey Cheese, even in groups with relatively decent senses of humor.

this is America, right here

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yonder Alonso signed with Cleveland. 1 year 20M, 9M vesting option.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

rickiep00h posted:

My biggest problem is that I tend to sit with 6-8 dead/edge case cards in my hand that are only funny (even in a monkey cheese way) in really specific cases or only make syntactic sense in black cards of a certain construction. So the grammar nerd/writer part of me gets frustrated.

My brother made a house rule that you can discard and redraw one additional card each turn and it improved the games immensely

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The only good thing CAH ever did was Prongles.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

AsInHowe posted:

The only good thing CAH ever did was Prongles.

once you pop, that's great!

The only thing worse than CAH is Apples to Apples, because it's basically the same thing but trying to be family friendly.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also the D backs signed a Japanese closer

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.azsnakepit.com/platform/amp/2017/12/22/16809642/diamondbacks-sign-japanese-closer-yoshihisa-hirano

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

Cole is league average pitcher in the NL

Haha wtf is this.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Berzerker posted:

once you pop, that's great!

The only thing worse than CAH is Apples to Apples, because it's basically the same thing but trying to be family friendly.

CAH is a ripoff of the other one.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CAH knew why most people played apples to apples and did away with the pretense of being family friendly.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
CAH is easier to for people to make off color humor.

I enjoy apples way more because of the effort required.
(Word to the Hellen Keller card)

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
This is the worst this thread has ever gotten. Can we please talk about hot dogs or something

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Someone please talk about the next generational talent the Yankees are about to acquire so I can start hating that player.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Popete posted:

Someone please talk about the next generational talent the Yankees are about to acquire so I can start hating that player.

That would be one B. Harper

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yonder Alonso signed with Cleveland. 1 year 20M, 9M vesting option.

That seems like an overpay, maybe higher due to only 1 year?

Edit: Yea because that's not accurate.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 23, 2017

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
16m/2 years, with an 8m vesting option on a third based on PAs and a physical, I think.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The funniest of the many funny things about the Marlins’ new ownership is they named their cost-cutting op Project Wolverine. Just imagining Jeter walking around making ‘Snikt snikt’ noises.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

This is the worst this thread has ever gotten. Can we please talk about hot dogs or something

MY GIRLFRIEND is so excited about $1 hot dogs on Wednesdays in combination with our season tickets. She's said she'll even plan on going to the park for lunch when they're day games. Not for the game, mind you, just for the $1 hot dogs. She remains skinny as hell, I think she has a tapeworm.

Popete posted:

I feel like the phrase "generational talent" is overused. Albert Pujols was a generational talent in his prime. Bonds and Clemons, obviously. Trout and Kershaw, fine. Stanton doesn't count in my book, neither does Harper or Machado. McGwire didn't count in his day either, just in case people think I'm picking on non-
Cardinals. For me "generational talent" should only be inner circle of the Hall of Fame, not just someone who's one of the best for a few years.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

107 ERA+ and injured in 2016. 101 ERA+ in 2017. We can get that production from say, Mike Leake, for a lot less. With Cole you're paying a premium based on his supposed potential.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

First, that's not the definition of a league average pitcher, because league average pitchers don't throw 200innings.

Second, lets use your two years (Cole was fantastic in 2015 but you want to omit that to prove a point).

Over the last 2 seasons, for pitchers that have thrown 300 innings, Cole is 25th in FIP and xFIP.

But sure, he's league average.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Monkey Wrangler posted:

64% of respondents are negative toward the trade. That dude's interpretation of his own poll makes my head hurt.

I think it's the 2nd category that's open to interpretation, the "I don't like it but it's part of baseball" thing, that you could consider both "unhappy" and yet "accepting." It's a bad poll.... :shrug:

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

elentar posted:

The funniest of the many funny things about the Marlins’ new ownership is they named their cost-cutting op Project Wolverine. Just imagining Jeter walking around making ‘Snikt snikt’ noises.

I'm pretty sure it's named that because Jeter's from Michigan, is a huge Michigan Wolverines fan, and was supposed to attend UM if he didn't sign with the Yankees. Yes, the Marvel comics character would have been cooler.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I thought it was because they were slashing payroll.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Jeter is from Michigan so it's actually just a reference to UM.

EDIT: What ihatepants said.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

elentar posted:

It could be the (likely incorrect) impression I have of Jeter as a preening egotist, but I read this and I just think of Whedon's best Wolverine moment:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

don't you ever make a loving trivial factual error in the SAS MLB thread

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

First, that's not the definition of a league average pitcher, because league average pitchers don't throw 200innings.

Second, lets use your two years (Cole was fantastic in 2015 but you want to omit that to prove a point).

Over the last 2 seasons, for pitchers that have thrown 300 innings, Cole is 25th in FIP and xFIP.

But sure, he's league average.

If you want innings eating at an average ERA, you can get that for a lot cheaper. He's in the NL and it's a pitchers' park, the latter being why I didn't use something like xFIP.

2015 isn't being omitted to prove a point, it's ancient history at this point. Frazier for Cole would be a poor use of resources for the Yankees. If you want to talk about being arbitrary, you picked 300 innings because he missed half of 2016.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gerrit Cole is good.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Gerrit Cole is nearly top 25 in K%-BB% over the last 3 seasons, sandwiched between Jon Gray and Jose Quintana, and he's only about to pitch his age 27 season. He good.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gerrit Cole is a generational talent.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

If you want innings eating at an average ERA, you can get that for a lot cheaper. He's in the NL and it's a pitchers' park, the latter being why I didn't use something like xFIP.

2015 isn't being omitted to prove a point, it's ancient history at this point. Frazier for Cole would be a poor use of resources for the Yankees. If you want to talk about being arbitrary, you picked 300 innings because he missed half of 2016.

I picked 300 innings because its about the number he pitched over the last 2 seasons.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Pancakes posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND is so excited about $1 hot dogs on Wednesdays in combination with our season tickets. She's said she'll even plan on going to the park for lunch when they're day games. Not for the game, mind you, just for the $1 hot dogs. She remains skinny as hell, I think she has a tapeworm.

If your girl is concerned about her weight for Christmas, get her a tapeworm

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Someone please post the comparison image between the dollar dogs and normal dogs again. I think it was kensei who posted it? I keep forgetting to save it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The dollar dogs at MMP suck. They’re always overcooked.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

They used to be so much worse

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intruder posted:

Someone please post the comparison image between the dollar dogs and normal dogs again. I think it was kensei who posted it? I keep forgetting to save it

Was this it?

http://thebiglead.com/2015/04/21/the-1-hot-dogs-at-kauffman-stadium-still-look-disgusting/

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

They used to be so much worse

I will never complain about the MMP dogs again :stonk:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yes that's the one, thanks

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I will never complain about the MMP dogs again :stonk:

The MMP ones didn't used to be so different from that

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

Yes that's the one, thanks

The MMP ones didn't used to be so different from that

I don’t remember, but I’ll take your word for it. Before this season, the last dollar dog night I attended was in ‘06 or ‘07 and the dogs seemed pretty average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t remember, but I’ll take your word for it. Before this season, the last dollar dog night I attended was in ‘06 or ‘07 and the dogs seemed pretty average.

They used to just have a giant tub of dollar dogs wrapped in foil and you'd grab as many as you want and take them to the register. Now at least they cook them not quite to order but you know your dog was cooked within the last 5 minutes or so when you buy it (mostly because of how long the lines are so they're constantly being doled out)

• Locked thread