Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Skandranon posted:

How much loot do you lose from doing this?

Got a level 4 chest still in this cat1. I'm not sure what's regular, but in cat 3 I still got a level 5 chest.

In theory you could let 3 people run around and do bonus stuff, 1 can hold the fort with ease. Could let 2 stay just in case.

I can solo cat3 this way fairly easily though.

E: with the average player, you're actually safer to defend alone. In this case someone ran close to the kill boxes at 0:30 and a keg was thrown towards him. Needless to say almost everything exploded after accumulating tons of explosive kegs over time. :v:

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
What traps ignite the cans? Is it just the gas trap, or all ceiling?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Skandranon posted:

What traps ignite the cans? Is it just the gas trap, or all ceiling?

None of the traps do anymore, since a patch or 2 ago. Before that this wouldn't work as Gas Traps do the bulk of the damage.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Seditiar posted:

None of the traps do anymore, since a patch or 2 ago. Before that this wouldn't work as Gas Traps do the bulk of the damage.

Wait, doesn't this trivialize tank throwers then? As long as no people are near, they'll never explode?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Skandranon posted:

Wait, doesn't this trivialize tank throwers then? As long as no people are near, they'll never explode?

Lmao you'd think, you poor naive bastard. I saw a lobber look at me, turn 90 degrees to the right, and target a propane can inside a box traps.

It set off two others as well and erased the whole loving thing

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Skandranon posted:

Pretty much. But the kegs do stay forever, so after like 3-4 made it into your kill box, a single misfired bullet/ability will completely destroy everything within 2-3 tiles. Including players if they're close.

E: You don't even have to be close, someone ran within ~3 tiles of a kegger, which threw a keg and if it's even remotely close to the bulk on the ground, you're gone. By practically looking at a kegger. :v:

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 20, 2017

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

*takes notes* interesting...

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So I heard that smashers only use their instant wall smash spin attack towards players so if you run away from the base they don't run through it.

It seems to be really working for me, does anyone else know for sure?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So I heard that smashers only use their instant wall smash spin attack towards players so if you run away from the base they don't run through it.

It seems to be really working for me, does anyone else know for sure?

Outdated I'm afraid. Chargers who spawn in attacks against your defenses cannot be distracted. Only the wild ones that sleep on the map in CV/TP.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
so is this game good if i liked the concept of pubg but hated the execution of it

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Do you hate milsperg and like fun?

sogekihei
Jul 15, 2001
Never played pubg but seen a few streams. Watching them manipulate the menus with items/equipping/unequipping made me want to blow my brains out. Fortnite Battle Royale distills it down to simple weapons and equipment that makes the focus gameplay. Rare weapons help, but only to an extent. You could win the game with a poo poo common weapon by no stretch of the imagination.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
hell, people have won games without using a weapon. there was a famous vid of a dude landing on a tree and not moving for like 15 minutes as both a weapons crate spawned on him, gave him a rocket launcher, and the circle narrowed down to right on top of him and all he did was move in the last 10 seconds to fire one rocket and win the game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Minrad posted:

hell, people have won games without using a weapon. there was a famous vid of a dude landing on a tree and not moving for like 15 minutes as both a weapons crate spawned on him, gave him a rocket launcher, and the circle narrowed down to right on top of him and all he did was move in the last 10 seconds to fire one rocket and win the game.

If I remember correctly, the rocket did not even hit, the other dude died of fall damage tryiing to reach the youtuber.

I have played mostly the PvE side, so I am a newbie on the PvP side. But seems sneaking alone can get you in the top 20 easily, top 10 with luck. Theres a point in Battle Royale where everyone turtle in castles and people have nothing to do than scan for random bastards. If you are hiding in a bush is when you usually get killed.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Turtling is an oversimplification because you have to be really lucky with the storm to be able to stay in one place. A base provides cover but it also makes you a huge target and can lead to hilarious endings like sneaking into the foundation, placing a trap under the base and destroying the floor to drop the guy to a horrible death. Or you can go jumppad and rocket launcher to destroy their base before they realize what you've done.

Realistically any strategy you think of can probably work, whether you want to be aggressive or defensive, be sneaky or be Rambo, and most encounters come down to a nice combination of skill and luck.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Dubar posted:

Turtling is an oversimplification because you have to be really lucky with the storm to be able to stay in one place. A base provides cover but it also makes you a huge target and can lead to hilarious endings like sneaking into the foundation, placing a trap under the base and destroying the floor to drop the guy to a horrible death. Or you can go jumppad and rocket launcher to destroy their base before they realize what you've done.

Realistically any strategy you think of can probably work, whether you want to be aggressive or defensive, be sneaky or be Rambo, and most encounters come down to a nice combination of skill and luck.

Battle Royale is truly a beautiful game.

I only lament that they have not made it a different title. Having two games over the same title means that when I want to search for videos of the PvE side, I have to swim over a flood of Battle Royale videos. It make very hard to access PvE content on the Internet, and thats a huge problem in 2017.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Tei posted:

Battle Royale is truly a beautiful game.

I only lament that they have not made it a different title. Having two games over the same title means that when I want to search for videos of the PvE side, I have to swim over a flood of Battle Royale videos. It make very hard to access PvE content on the Internet, and thats a huge problem in 2017.

Yeap, it's really annoying. Even the Fortnite reddit gets a ton of posts by BR idiots. Luckily they seem to get removed after a bit but still.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Any goons playing on the PS4? I'm tired of small children demanding to know if I'm black or white.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have a epic version of the new soldier, and while it is probably not better than urban assault, the secondary mini explosions of the grenades is a good thing to have. Kind of good to clear camps.

I don't have a good video to show it, but this is how it feel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRItYDKSqpQ

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Any goons playing on the PS4? I'm tired of small children demanding to know if I'm black or white.

I'll play, but only if you answer the question

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Minrad posted:

My first win came by dropping near the edge of the map and sneaking from bush to bush until there were half a dozen people left. One person killed another, stood behind a tree to heal and I sniped them with a sniper rifle I'd gotten from a supply drop while they fought another player and thus never noticed me. Couldn't find the remaining 3 people and realized they were above me. Shot out their skybridge and watched the 3 of them fall to their deaths (I was soloing in squads for a daily challenge). My only weapons for the match were a white burst AR (used to shoot out the sky bridge) and the legendary bolt action sniper rifle from that air drop. If I hadn't need to snipe that person healing by a tree I'd have won the match with 0 kills.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Think I made a big mistake, I've basically only been using my legendary Grave Digger assault rifle lately. ( Once I stopped using dropped weapons and started crafting stuff. ) I evolved it so it could be leveled from 20-30 and didn't realize it was going to take Canny Valley parts which I'm way off from unlocking :smith:

I've been trying other stuff, but haven't really liked any of my other drops so I just put them in the collection book. The only other weapon I have is the Nightclaw shotgun which seems like it sucks. My last Grave Digger has a sliver of durability left, really wish I could still craft the two star version.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

Think I made a big mistake, I've basically only been using my legendary Grave Digger assault rifle lately. ( Once I stopped using dropped weapons and started crafting stuff. ) I evolved it so it could be leveled from 20-30 and didn't realize it was going to take Canny Valley parts which I'm way off from unlocking :smith:

I've been trying other stuff, but haven't really liked any of my other drops so I just put them in the collection book. The only other weapon I have is the Nightclaw shotgun which seems like it sucks. My last Grave Digger has a sliver of durability left, really wish I could still craft the two star version.

why are you putting all your guns in the collection book? you definitely put good guns away if you're that far and you say you 'have no guns'.

Also level 34 and 40 plankerton give 20-30 parts. you can also survive entirely off what drops from level 34-40 storm chests as well. You'll get high silver/Malachite weapons out of there.

I would look into a Dragon Scorch or Sara Hotep if you have her to save on ammo if you get desperate

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

If you're playing on PC I can drop you some mats if you'd like. Or weapons if you prefer that.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

why are you putting all your guns in the collection book? you definitely put good guns away if you're that far and you say you 'have no guns'.

Also level 34 and 40 plankerton give 20-30 parts. you can also survive entirely off what drops from level 34-40 storm chests as well. You'll get high silver/Malachite weapons out of there.

I would look into a Dragon Scorch or Sara Hotep if you have her to save on ammo if you get desperate

Keep in mind that the SC weapons don't have any perks, they might be high level but you'll definitely easily miss 25-33% damage compared with semi-decent rolled weapons. 50-75% if you have godlike schematic weapons.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

When you are in the next area, the mats of the area below are meaningless.
Like if you are level 70, you can probably give a low level player 20 units of the green metal just has a gift (or 99 if you really like this person).
And somebody in canny probably have few uses for copper.

Don't put things in the collection book if are not dupes or low quality stuff or you have inventory problems (that are easy to solve with the new shop items).

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah I was more just trying to give the poor bastard hope while shooing him away from the collection book.

The book rewards are incredibly diminishing returns after level 26 or so and you'd be better off transforming them into weapons to get +++ schematic XP or straight up recycling them for schematic XP.

Gonna be completely honest here, Skulltrooper Jonesy and whatever his equivalent regular soldier is are the only heroes that make weapons feel like they should. I have some great rolls on a few guns and they feel weak AF in the hands of a Ninja or outlander.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Tei posted:

When you are in the next area, the mats of the area below are meaningless.
Like if you are level 70, you can probably give a low level player 20 units of the green metal just has a gift (or 99 if you really like this person).
And somebody in canny probably have few uses for copper.

Don't put things in the collection book if are not dupes or low quality stuff or you have inventory problems (that are easy to solve with the new shop items).

This is correct. Apart from trap materials, they usually last well into the next zone. In my case I started upgrading my first traps at about the end of the 82 zone (2nd in Twine Peaks), then in the 88 I got the rest to 4*. Mostly because I started running out of CV mats though, and I couldn't be bothered to keep trading people for CV stuff or getting CV stuff myself.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ForniteBR devs are awesome
https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/944597798711803905

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How this game has not completely eclipsed pubg at this point is beyond me

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

With the amount of weapon XP I've got so far, it seems like I could have about 2 weapons appropriately leveled. If I get something that looks interesting I'll try it out before putting it into the collection book, but I keep getting weapons that feel like poo poo to me. So knowing I don't really have the weapon XP to level much anything else and maybe bad luck with weapon drops I've just been putting a lot into the collection.

Canny Valley says it's 40+ if I remember right, my power level is 24 and where I'm at on the skill tree to have the tier 3 stuff unlocked I didn't even think twice about it. I did spend a lot of time grinding the Halloween event rather than progressing through the story, so maybe my skills compared to power level is screwed up. I'll give those lvl 34-40 plankerton missions a try, I've been finding malachite semi-regularly but still need 25 weapon parts.

The limited founders pack is super tempting at $54.99. When it says "+66 Daily Loot Pinata Packs", I'm assuming that's 1 per day for 66 days and not 66 per day right?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Question for you guys - my son plays Fortnite BR pretty regularly and really likes it, and I'm thinking of getting the paid version on the Xbone for him - but is the whole game worth the $30 or whatever? I know it's going f2p "sometime in 2018," but I suspect not any time soon.

My son thinks he would like PUBG too, but it seems like it still needs a lot of work.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The paid version is a different type of game. Is coop zombie wave defense game with building. You may not like it. Not many people like both the PvP and the PvE fortnite.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

katkillad2 posted:

With the amount of weapon XP I've got so far, it seems like I could have about 2 weapons appropriately leveled. If I get something that looks interesting I'll try it out before putting it into the collection book, but I keep getting weapons that feel like poo poo to me. So knowing I don't really have the weapon XP to level much anything else and maybe bad luck with weapon drops I've just been putting a lot into the collection.

Canny Valley says it's 40+ if I remember right, my power level is 24 and where I'm at on the skill tree to have the tier 3 stuff unlocked I didn't even think twice about it. I did spend a lot of time grinding the Halloween event rather than progressing through the story, so maybe my skills compared to power level is screwed up. I'll give those lvl 34-40 plankerton missions a try, I've been finding malachite semi-regularly but still need 25 weapon parts.

The limited founders pack is super tempting at $54.99. When it says "+66 Daily Loot Pinata Packs", I'm assuming that's 1 per day for 66 days and not 66 per day right?
You should never, ever put purple or orange stuff into the collection book unless you're whaling. You'll want it later for when you get legendary transform keys. It takes 5 purples of the same item category (guns, traps, hero survivor) to make an orange. The collection book is not where you put stuff that you don't want to use. It's where you put stuff when you have 50 too many items in your armory. The only things you might want to just throw in there before you're overflowing by quite a bit is white and green stuff. Blue stuff can go in there once you have a nice pile of manuals of every type.

You can get a bunch of mechanical parts by going into an industrial park zone and breaking all the transformers, heavy equipment, cars, and so on. Find a level 34+ plankerton one (higher is better), start a private game and just clean it out.

And yeah, that is 1 llama a day for 66 days.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 23, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

PvE is a lot of fun as long as you always listen to Seditiar and Whitesushi

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

And yeah find a power plant in industrial zone in Plankerton. Also always search pipes and the chain rolls.

Cars and parking meters are overrated for nuts and bolts.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Cars and parking meters are overrated for nuts and bolts.
Cars are still pretty good for mech parts, which is what's needed for the Gravedigger.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I too evolved the gravedigger to the point where it needed malachite when I was in the 20s. Fortunately I also had the epic AR burst rifle to 20 and a bolt action sniper to 20 which I like both of. I'm level 40 now and still in Plankerton because I end up doing more seasonal quests than main plot quests, but I have a few things at 10-20 that I cycle through. Also I get malachite from level 40 and 46 maps often enough to keep me in gravediggers.

The seasonal events are great for weapon schematics. I haven't been wowed by all of them but there's been a couple of good Vindertech and vacuum tube weapons. Also, the Founder's blazing Masamune is nice if you like to play a ninja, but one of those lasts me weeks because I mostly play Jonesy and shoot everything. I just picked up Ralphie's Revenge last night with seasonal gold and may end up replacing my usual scavenger's bolt action with it because it's got slightly better stats, but I may level up a death ray first.

One nice thing about the new event loot tab is that the 100 daily quest tokens you get can be used to purchase schematics at the bottom of the weekly side of the menu. I've had rare wall darts plans forever and finally bought legendary ones last night for 700 daily tokens. There's also weapon schematics but it feels like trap schematics are harder to find.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Took like 4 hours to get those parts on not Canny Valley missions... nobody make my mistake.

Is there anything in particular I should be saving my seasonal gold up for? I've got an epic Skull Trooper Jonesy I wouldn't mind upgrading to legendary.

Edit: Motherfucking lagged off a cliff due to someone coming into the game, there goes like 10% of my new Gravedigger.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 24, 2017

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Armory slots, legendary/epic flux and probably the seasonal heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Wait, people think that the seasonal heroes are good? How / why?

• Locked thread