Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Asproigerosis posted:

Hi why do these yorkshire terriers keep eating all my drugs and becoming addicts thanks

Did you get invaded by that weirdly frequent yorkie pack? Make a new animal area thats everything outside and only a little sliver to their feeding squares and beds indoors. Then sell the fuckers next chance you get before anyone bonds with your goddamn druggie dogs. I like to think of them was rimworld's tribbles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Asproigerosis posted:

Hi why do these yorkshire terriers keep eating all my drugs and becoming addicts thanks

rimworld.txt

e: Brin dumped Ambassador and he wants to go crawling back to Lavina :kiddo:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 24, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

misguided rage posted:

The guy doing the dumping is still gonna be sad every time he goes over there, and if it's far enough away that you're not passing by it on the way to doing other things then the extra time hauling is more than you'd spend burying them anyway.

untrue on both counts; the amount of time required to dig and refill grave is enough time for a pawn to walk halfway across a medium map and back (which is WAY more than enough to get out of town) and 'saw corpse' thoughts do not stack directly so whomever is doing the hauling is already sad as they're going to be for the next hour or so.

you see 'saw corpse' thoughts 'stacking' because the thought has a cooldown that is shorter than its duration, so if you refuse to move bodies it becomes a bigger problem - if you shove the drat things out of sight then it's not an issue.

e: there's also the note that graves are very heavy -beauty so if you're putting those close to town you're just contributing to the ever-lovely "hideous environment" thought

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That really depends a lot on the skill of the grave digger, if you have a highly skilled and/or high manip guy constructing graves it takes very little time. Not that I'm a fan of graves, but that isn't because it takes a lot of time to dig them (I'd rather butcher them or burn them).

Also if you do bother with graves, yeah you should decorate them with monuments and flowers like real cemeteries are decorated.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i just don't see the point in a grave at all. distracting a skilled constructor makes the time cost even higher imo, since you have to also question what that constructor could have been building otherwise (if nothing else, beds to sell or walls to help in the NEXT attack). just have some clod hauler throw stranger corpses around a convenient corner or near the edge of the map. if someone you actually care about dies, you don't want a grave, you want a sarcophagus both for the immediate happy thought to counter the bad ones, and for the persistent beauty bonus it will give you. hell, you can place a sarcophagus in the drat dining room for people to easily pay their respects and its presence is outright good because it increases the richness and impressiveness of the room.

i kinda came to this after trying a couple of different things, including building wooden sarcophagi for dead strangers for the happy thoughts it gave my colonists, but the reality is that any resources (land or effort) allocated to stranger corpses is wasted. even crematoriums don't really make sense until super late game when you've got so many bodies it's a pain to get rid of them all; though i can definitely see an argument for them earlier if you want to just drop a trade beacon and stockpile underneath the crematorium so you can just sell the trash you strip off corpses for extra chump change.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 24, 2017

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Coolguye posted:

i just don't see the point in a grave at all. distracting a skilled constructor makes the time cost even higher imo, since you have to also question what that constructor could have been building otherwise (if nothing else, beds to sell or walls to help in the NEXT attack). just have some clod hauler throw stranger corpses around a convenient corner or near the edge of the map. if someone you actually care about dies, you don't want a grave, you want a sarcophagus both for the immediate happy thought to counter the bad ones, and for the persistent beauty bonus it will give you. hell, you can place a sarcophagus in the drat dining room for people to easily pay their respects and its presence is outright good because it increases the richness and impressiveness of the room.

i kinda came to this after trying a couple of different things, including building wooden sarcophagi for dead strangers for the happy thoughts it gave my colonists, but the reality is that any resources (land or effort) allocated to stranger corpses is wasted. even crematoriums don't really make sense until super late game when you've got so many bodies it's a pain to get rid of them all; though i can definitely see an argument for them earlier if you want to just drop a trade beacon and stockpile underneath the crematorium so you can just sell the trash you strip off corpses for extra chump change.

If you've never played dwarf fortress until the ends, you do a drat good impression of it. I just like the idea of a grave of my guys and a grave of their guys outside the wall to warn them, to warn them motherfucker.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The game isn't totally about maximum efficiency and it's OK to have suboptimal poo poo like decorated graves that your emo colonists who are into that sort of thing can hang out at :shrug:

Sarcophagi are way cooler though, that's true, but you can plant a bed of roses around your dead cat's grave and have a huge statue of a surgeon cutting off a guy's dick decorating it instead and that counts for something

e: AAAAAAAAAAAA

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 24, 2017

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

The game isn't totally about maximum efficiency and it's OK to have suboptimal poo poo like decorated graves that your emo colonists who are into that sort of thing can hang out at :shrug:

:same:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
This game really seems to hate gardening. My 11 skill passionate gardener just loving refuses to go pick some ready to harvest strawberries. I have taken off every other priority and he just sits idle. This is the second game in a row where this happens.

What am I doing wrong? He seems to occasionally harvest some stuff, so I don't think I have to manually select every loving plant and tell him to harvest it. But I'm running low on food because of his lazyness, so I may have to.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

This game really seems to hate gardening. My 11 skill passionate gardener just loving refuses to go pick some ready to harvest strawberries. I have taken off every other priority and he just sits idle. This is the second game in a row where this happens.

What am I doing wrong? He seems to occasionally harvest some stuff, so I don't think I have to manually select every loving plant and tell him to harvest it. But I'm running low on food because of his lazyness, so I may have to.

This happens to me when I forget to change out allowed areas or stockpiles. Did you assign him indoors? Wait. Also, harvesting is different from sowing and I think counts as hauling.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

In the vanilla game they're the same labor but I'm not sure which task is done first - but in any case he shouldn't be sitting there idling unless he has some zone restriction or is incapable of "plant work" (but you'd have noticed that)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Coolguye posted:

If you do put sarcophagi in your dining room, you need to rename it The Hall of Champions.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Flesh Forge posted:

In the vanilla game they're the same labor but I'm not sure which task is done first - but in any case he shouldn't be sitting there idling unless he has some zone restriction or is incapable of "plant work" (but you'd have noticed that)
If it's fully grown and not in a growing zone, it won't be harvested unless you've selected it for harvest, in which case it uses the Plant Cut job.
If it's fully grown and in a growing zone, it will be harvested as a Growing job, I believe even if the zone has sowing disabled.

You can use this to micromanage "incapable of plant cutting/dumb labor" colonists into harvesting wild trees/berries at 100% growth.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

ShadowHawk posted:

If it's fully grown and not in a growing zone, it won't be harvested unless you've selected it for harvest, in which case it uses the Plant Cut job.
If it's fully grown and in a growing zone, it will be harvested as a Growing job, I believe even if the zone has sowing disabled.

You can use this to micromanage "incapable of plant cutting/dumb labor" colonists into harvesting wild trees/berries at 100% growth.

To my knowledge, in the vanilla game harvesting is always confusingly put under the "Plant Cut" labor, because this game isn't obtuse enough, apparently.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I'm actually wondering if dropping a wind turbine on top removed the growing zone and that's why he won't automatically harvest.

Edit: That was it. Half the field was no longer a growing zone.

Is there a way to prioritize a hauler to take all of a certain thing? Now that I have picked the berries I want to move them to the kitchen, but my hauler has decided a random chunk of steel is her priority. I can only seem to tell her to haul one pile of berries before she runs off again.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 24, 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is there a way to prioritize a hauler to take all of a certain thing? Now that I have picked the berries I want to move them to the kitchen, but my hauler has decided a random chunk of steel is her priority. I can only seem to tell her to haul one pile of berries before she runs off again.

It's all mods, but:

I think work tab let's you change subjob priorities.

Allow tool gives adds a priority haul tool for a more brute force approach.

And I'm pretty sure there's one called "please haul perishables" that makes haulers prioritize things that will degrade within the year (pretty much just food).

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 24, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Finally getting some proper teaching classes going:

That's a really neat mod even if you don't want to mess with the whole children thing, having trainers teaching other colonists stuff is just neat.
e: the "Learn [skill]" job does have an age req of between 4 and 16 though, looks like (no one else will come do it)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 24, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Whatever mod adds fertilizer and let's you burn corpses into compost is great.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

gently caress this game is frustrating. And for all the wrong reasons. One dude with a priority 4 cut plants loves it and will do it instead of any other task unless its priority one. One person loves building so much that when I tell her to prioritize mining, she walks over, looks at the rock, decides gently caress that back to building!

Is there a mod or something that makes the priority levels actually work

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

gently caress this game is frustrating. And for all the wrong reasons. One dude with a priority 4 cut plants loves it and will do it instead of any other task unless its priority one. One person loves building so much that when I tell her to prioritize mining, she walks over, looks at the rock, decides gently caress that back to building!

are you sure you understand how they work? they are evaluated from left to right, anything with a lower priority number gets done first

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Loving the new named geographical features

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

Theres a kink in your system somewhere, but it works as intended. The challenge of the game is to make it all work together. Theres an extended priorities mod and a quality builder mod to fine tune who does precisely what but I don't think that's your issue. You need to get creative!

Priorities work in a really robotic way. The only things all pawns at all times should have priority 1 in my opinion is firefighting and being a patient. Getting a supply chain working with only priorities is like sudoku mixed with lemmings. I find temporary area restriction (you do nothing but haul around the home area today), selecting blueprints and forbidding work (so that you can unforbid plans bit by bit) and time of day management (if you've more than like 8 pawns you should make a night shift hauler) are things I endlessly tinker with.

I think hauling (perishables left by the day shift), or use of a work station (double research by having two researchers on shifts) are the only things worth putting on night shift, everything else can work concurrently during the day.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A Moose posted:

Loving the new named geographical features

VERY NICE!

Lavinia and her piece of poo poo husband are mending fences:

What could have changed? :shrug:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

boar guy posted:

are you sure you understand how they work? they are evaluated from left to right, anything with a lower priority number gets done first

Is mining a single stone a bunch of actions and not just one? I would tell her mining was her priority, she would tap it once then run back to her regular duties.

The other guy had cooking 2 and cutting 4, with a bill to make 250 simple meals and top up below 150. There was so much corn that I had to build a new supply since my freezer was full. I actually ran out of meals because cutting grass for the free fire area in front of my bunkers was more fun.

My hauler right now is a night owl and for the most part it's nice. She will run around stocking up all the crafting areas so when someone gets to it all the materials are already there. Getting a good kitchen production line is tough though.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I want to say that they will do what you tell them to with the "prioritize" command exactly once, unless it is also something they have a high priority to do anyway, which works for hauling and constructing, but not so much for crafting or mining or cooking or basically anything.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is mining a single stone a bunch of actions and not just one? I would tell her mining was her priority, she would tap it once then run back to her regular duties.

yep. if you manually override a priority by right clicking they'll just do what you tell them once. for a dedicated miner, i set priority 1 for firefight, patient, doctor, switch and mine. nothing else. maybe haul and clean at 2 in case she runs out of stuff to mine.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
You can hold shift now and force jobs the next jobs in order to stop a pawn say grabbing one bag of meat and leaving the others. i think you can do it up to 10 times. But if its not something the pawn feels like its on the circuit for, be it sleep allocated time or whatever, they'll do those tasks and nothing else and work left to right priorities based on what is available to do and where. Realistically you'll want to have a lot of 4s and 0 priorities. For example if you have a super miner guy, disable all hauling for him. Game is ridiculously in depth.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Note if you have a work table job that uses an "unfinished" item and a pawn starts that job and goes off to do something else, that job (not necessarily other jobs on that table) is locked up until completed. Eg. If you're using a bulk meals job, meal production will stop unless you have other meal jobs queued behind the unfinished one, or you have multiple cook tables (stoves or whatever).

e: You can do this and it helps:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 24, 2017

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The AI is bad about going to work without eating first so that might be what's happening. I think it can be fixed by scheduling one or two hours of joy activities in the morning.

In unrelated news, are there any really good mods that are available on the forums but not the workshop for whatever reason? There doesn't seem to be that many but figured I'd ask.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Note if you have a work table job that uses an "unfinished" item and a pawn starts that job and goes off to do something else, that job (not necessarily other jobs on that table) is locked up until completed. Eg. If you're using a bulk meals job, meal production will stop unless you have other meal jobs queued behind the unfinished one, or you have multiple cook tables (stoves or whatever).

also if a crafter dies in the middle of making something you have to click on the unfinished item and cancel it to free up the bench/smith/whatever

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Good point :science:

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Also, with the hospitality mod, people will craft stuff for you. When they dont finish, and leave, then you’ll have unfinished whatever clutter in up your workshop for all time.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Dalaram posted:

Also, with the hospitality mod, people will craft stuff for you. When they dont finish, and leave, then you’ll have unfinished whatever clutter in up your workshop for all time.

click on the unfinished item and hit cancel - it'll refund the materials and cancel the job

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I've had to break my "no rerolling pawns" rule because holy poo poo are pyromaniacs super common now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
There's too many things that make a pawn nearly unusable for me to not ever reroll. It's one thing to deal with a depressive slowpoke who sucks at everything and refuses to clean, it's another thing to deal with a pyromaniac who refuses to do anything.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

AceClown posted:

I've had to break my "no rerolling pawns" rule because holy poo poo are pyromaniacs super common now.

Yeah I’ve also been doing No Rerolls* where I reroll only to remove annoying handicaps. Things I reroll:

Terrible Traits
- Pyromaniac
- Nudist
- Abrasive
- etc

Permanent Injuries
- Anxiety
- Scars
- Addictions
- Asthma
- Bad Back
- etc

Hated job types beyond one or two.

I don’t reroll for skills or passion, and I don’t reroll negative but balanced traits. I figure I can pick up people with these problems, so why bother starting the game with them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nudist is actually really good if you can support it (e.g. climate is safe for it), it gives a gigantic all-the-time happy thought for running around airing out your junk.

Lavinia has another bun in the oven! Or I guess, some tako on the sushi table!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Flesh Forge these two mods really do not seem right together

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

On that note, protip don't try to give a tiny child the psionic lobe, it, ah, isn't good for them :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I love nudist if I can get it on a crafter or cook or something that stays in the base all the time. Nudists are super happy all the time with their goods flapping in the breeze.