Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

readingatwork posted:

How in the hell is the EotS special not a Kraumpus/Gerimlins-esque horror-comedy? I feel like an opportunity was missed here.

It should be made if it hasn't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Imagine my shock and relief this week when I noticed they actually played multiple reruns of Gumball and WBB on The Teen Titans Go Channel

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Well Gumball is the channel's second most reran show behind TTG (and is the most reran show this week, the week before the TTGopalypse)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They're not even gonna have new episodes of TTG on Fridays starting in January, unless they're being considered outside Newnewnewnew.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Well Gumball is the channel's second most reran show behind TTG (and is the most reran show this week, the week before the TTGopalypse)

Gumball is? Over Adventure Time and Regular Show?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mr Interweb posted:

Yup, and apparently it's CN's most popular show in a lot of countries, well it or Ben 10 depending on the country

Adventure Time and Regular Show never really took off quite as much internationally as both shows ran into censorship issues a lot

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I have to imagine AT and the later seasons of Regular Show having continuity and Gumball having next-to-none has to do with their scheduling decisions, too.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pakled posted:

I'm mad I can't even make a post about how Canadian animation is universally terrible, because Canada gave us Ed, Edd, n Eddy.

So, yes, Canadian animation is universally terrible then

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

So, yes, Canadian animation is universally terrible then

Wow that is some terrible taste there

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

E, E, and E is a show built entirely around punch-down "jokes" based around stereotypes-as-characters, including some super duper awesome ethnic ones, and it's a cynical and ugly show where everyone is a selfish rear end in a top hat trying to take advantage of everyone else.

It's like if someone took Recess and removed all the charm and heart.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Waffleman_ posted:

Because it's just a commercial for the drat toy. It's blatant.

Elf on the shelf is so bad that even "normies" are lashing back against them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, my comparison of the special to a corpse is unfair. A corpse at least had a soul at one point.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

including some super duper awesome ethnic ones

The only character like that I can think of is Rolf and he's based off of the creator's immigrant relatives

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

E, E, and E is a show built entirely around punch-down "jokes" based around stereotypes-as-characters, including some super duper awesome ethnic ones, and it's a cynical and ugly show where everyone is a selfish rear end in a top hat trying to take advantage of everyone else.

There's only one ethnic character and that's Rolf who's "unspecified eastern European." Only about half the cast is any sort of selfish and even out of them two of them are actually terrible because they were emulating an even worse person. It's cynical, sure, but that's not bad

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Okay Ed, it's your horse, it's your horse

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

my favorite ed edd and eddy joke is when the kid with the headgear says, regarding pillows, “I’m a good fluffer, aren’t I, Sarah?”

the one where they’re all dared to be each other is incredible too

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Quest For Glory II posted:

Okay Ed, it's your horse, it's your horse

The delivery on "I like this song" is so goddamn perfect.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Adventure Time and Regular Show never really took off quite as much internationally as both shows ran into censorship issues a lot

They didn't? Okay, RS I get since it did rely on a lot of American humor and 80s references but I could've sworn I saw some pic a while back (granted I mean a while back) where a Japanese rail train was colored to look like Jake The Dog, I figured that'd be a good indicator if its popularity overseas.

Also mentioning Regular Show reminded me that RS made a few of possibly the best Christmas episodes ever in animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3ipt9HoQeY

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 25, 2017

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
https://twitter.com/zagtoon/status/945173288740900864

Or you could, y'know, concentrate on actually finishing the episodes already in production. (Jeremy Zag is the owner of the company that makes Miraculous - which pulled a scheduled new episode from broadcast in France a couple of weeks ago because they needed to redo some of the animation. The English dubbing is reportedly way behind schedule as well, which is probably why Netflix has delayed season 2; the weird thing is that the animation is lip-synced to English even though it's a French show, so you'd think they'd get that done first...)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Yup, and apparently it's CN's most popular show in a lot of countries, well it or Ben 10 depending on the country

Huh. I find that quite surprising since Gumball wasn't even that popular when it was still airing new episodes.

TwoPair posted:

Also mentioning Regular Show reminded me that RS made a few of possibly the best Christmas episodes ever in animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3ipt9HoQeY

I lost it when the elf came out and tapped his elbow.

I like EE&E visual humor, but the show did get quite worse the more it went on. Compare the first few episodes of the very first season to later on, and they're almost different shows. Specifically regarding Eddy. He became way more of a jerk and opportunist, constantly selling out the other Eds with no remorse as time went on. The show also got needlessly more violent, and even the other Eds who had nothing to do with Eddy's larger scams got the brunt of the punishments.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Most of your posts in this thread are complaining there are too many lesbians in cartoons

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Corek posted:

Most of your posts in this thread are complaining there are too many lesbians in cartoons

complaining about goons who have to stumble over each other to prove their progressive bona fides with a cartoon written for children which not coincidentally has the only "acceptable" version of pop culture gayness != complaining about lesbians in cartoons

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mr Interweb posted:

Do they even show Regular Show at all anymore? I haven't seen a single rerun since it ended.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
They used to air it in the mornings before the holidays started.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And they also showed the Halloween specials in late October.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Xelkelvos posted:

There's only one ethnic character and that's Rolf who's "unspecified eastern European." Only about half the cast is any sort of selfish and even out of them two of them are actually terrible because they were emulating an even worse person. It's cynical, sure, but that's not bad
And for all its cynicism, the show does end with everyone being friends after realizing what a complete douchebag Eddy's brother is

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I will defend Ed Edd n' Eddy's Big Picture Show as like the genuinely best Cartoon Network movie they've ever done. The Eds are weirdly well-written in it?? There's character dynamics introduced that retroactively can be applied to their relationship throughout the entire show and it works really well. Plus you might not remember it, but the background work in that movie was gorgeous.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I haven't seen it in years, but I thought the Dexter movie was pretty good.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I haven't seen it in years, but I thought the Dexter movie was pretty good.

I take umbrage with the idea that Dexter will get that pathetic in his 20s. He may not be as smart as Mandark, but he is about half Mandark's Age. Dexter looks about 6, maybe 8 years old, while Mandark is more 12. By the time Dexter hits 12 he'll probably match Mandark as he is now, and keep on catching him up until he surpasses him while Mandark rests on his overly cocky laurels. He should have a bunch of Patents by his 20s at least, and not have to work for anyone else.

That's why I appreciated the finale of Phineas and Ferb - they never stopped, because they cannot stop. It's long been established that their genius in an addiction - they can't not do something in the most creative possible way, they react very badly if they are prevented, so of course by late teens they have so many acceptance letters to every college in the loving world they are paralysed by choice, and in their 30s they are receiving awards and prizes abroad for all their ludicrous poo poo.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Ego Trip, but Dexter would never have let Mandark get that far, at the very least Monkey and Agent Honey would have put a stop to that poo poo.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I take umbrage with the idea that Dexter will get that pathetic in his 20s. He may not be as smart as Mandark, but he is about half Mandark's Age. Dexter looks about 6, maybe 8 years old, while Mandark is more 12. By the time Dexter hits 12 he'll probably match Mandark as he is now, and keep on catching him up until he surpasses him while Mandark rests on his overly cocky laurels. He should have a bunch of Patents by his 20s at least, and not have to work for anyone else.

That's why I appreciated the finale of Phineas and Ferb - they never stopped, because they cannot stop. It's long been established that their genius in an addiction - they can't not do something in the most creative possible way, they react very badly if they are prevented, so of course by late teens they have so many acceptance letters to every college in the loving world they are paralysed by choice, and in their 30s they are receiving awards and prizes abroad for all their ludicrous poo poo.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Ego Trip, but Dexter would never have let Mandark get that far, at the very least Monkey and Agent Honey would have put a stop to that poo poo.

Eh I always figured that Dexter and Mandark were the same age, Dexter is just short for his age and Mandark is tall for his(as for age I figure 9 to 10 sounds about right for them, with Dee Dee being 12 to 13, especially in the Chris Savino seasons where she definitely felt written as being a young teen)

Also her name is Honeydew not Honey

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Weren't the other Dexters in Ego Trip supposed to be from alternate universes, not future versions?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I thought that they were going further and further into the future - From wimpy 20 year old dexter slaving under lovely boss Mandark, to Bearded Badass Dexter fighting Fat rear end in a top hat Mandark, eventually defeating him during Ego Trip and paving the way for Utopian Octogenarian Dexter chilling with Brain-in-a-Jar Mandark in his trophy room.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Brain-in-a-jar Mandark was the best. "I want the core because I'm old, bitter, and jealous!"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Wasn't Deedee the one to save the day in Ego Trip?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

PhazonLink posted:

Wasn't Deedee the one to save the day in Ego Trip?

She's literally the whole reason the entire movie happened.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Eh I always figured that Dexter and Mandark were the same age, Dexter is just short for his age and Mandark is tall for his(as for age I figure 9 to 10 sounds about right for them, with Dee Dee being 12 to 13, especially in the Chris Savino seasons where she definitely felt written as being a young teen)

Also her name is Honeydew not Honey

Dexter and Mandark are roughly around the same age as they're in the same class together in Elementary school so the make age difference might be about a year.

raditts posted:

Weren't the other Dexters in Ego Trip supposed to be from alternate universes, not future versions?

Nope. It's time travel.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Dexter and Mandark are roughly around the same age as they're in the same class together in Elementary school so the make age difference might be about a year.

Nope. It's time travel.

That's what I said

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wasn't kind of the point of Ego Trip, down to the name, is that while Dexter can and likely will accomplish great things he's massively shackled by his own colossal ego? And there's quite a few episodes demonstrating that despite his technical genius, Dexter has barely existent social skills and is likely to struggle once he has to actually start working. Hell, Deedee is practically his only real friend. There's a borderline Venture Bros thing going on with them all.

Also, now I'm suddenly picturing Dexter and Mandark ending up in the Think Tank.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

Wasn't kind of the point of Ego Trip, down to the name, is that while Dexter can and likely will accomplish great things he's massively shackled by his own colossal ego? And there's quite a few episodes demonstrating that despite his technical genius, Dexter has barely existent social skills and is likely to struggle once he has to actually start working. Hell, Deedee is practically his only real friend. There's a borderline Venture Bros thing going on with them all.

Also, now I'm suddenly picturing Dexter and Mandark ending up in the Think Tank.

Eh the show was highly inconsistent about how anti-social Dexter was, some episodes did have him as a friendless loser who barely comprehended anything that didn't have to do with science(indeed a common running gag and/or plot catalyst was Dexter misinterpreting some social or language construct and treating it literally and applying science to it with extreme results), while others treated him as a fairly normal(if nerdy) kid who just happened to have a funny accent and the knowledge to make the laws of physics his bitch

Similarly the show was inconsistent about how dumb Dee Dee was(some episodes she was basically special needs, while others had her as relatively average in book smarts, but very wise in more emotional and social matters), or how old she was meant to come off(some episodes she'd act like a first grader, others like a teenager)

TLDR: both Dexter and Dee Dee were written extremely inconsistently even by cartoon writing standards

Mandark on the other hand was pretty consistent, the only real variable was how evil they'd depict him in a given episode(ranging from just wanting to one up Dexter in matters of science to wanting to rule the world as a vicious tyrant)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rhonne posted:

She's literally the whole reason the entire movie happened.

Dexter building killer robots to go back in time and kill Deedee because he was so angry about her being the one who saved the future always struck me as really weird and cruel even by Dexter's standards. That and the whole weird BDSM thing where adult Mandark was literally whipping a shirtless bound Dexter.