Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Very tempting to get that Envy x360 with the R5 2500U for $575:

https://search.app.goo.gl/yySV

I genuinely don't need it. Hopefully the RR APUs will hit for desktop soon so I can do science to those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You tell me if it's not for PCs, when an i5-8250U ships with dual-LPDDR3/DDR4 support.

https://techreport.com/review/32863/intel-core-i5-8250u-cpu-reviewed

Ehh that's a notebook.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

HamHawkes posted:

Ehh that's a notebook.

Do you think notebooks are an insignificant portion of the market?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
New benchmarks of Adrenalin drivers are in. Another piss-poor showing for AMD.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 23, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

/r/ayymd is leaking. =P

quote:

Baidu and AMD announced today that Baidu is officially rolling out its single socket AMD EPYC platform targeted at AI, big data and cloud. While we do not cover every cloud design win in the industry, this is a big deal. The prevalent architecture for cloud servers has been dual socket Intel Xeon (E5) for years. The fact that one of the largest cloud providers is using AMD EPYC in a single socket deployment is a notable validation to AMD’s EPYC strategy.

Recently, we saw Microsoft Azure Lv2 Series Instances Featuring AMD EPYC. That followed a familiar pattern of a dual socket x86 server platform deployed in a cloud data center. With this announcement, Baidu is putting its stamp of approval on the single socket EPYC platform. One huge advantage we see with the EPYC single socket platform is that it can still use up to 128 lanes of high speed I/O (PCIe or SATA.)

That's two big wins for AMD: https://www.servethehome.com/baidu-validates-amd-single-socket-epyc-strategy/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The key is ramp though. How many servers and how quick?

Everyone knows that EPYC is great on paper but chips haven't been available for the last 6 months, and first-tier partners like HP/Dell have been getting frustrated by the lack of supply. 48 lanes in hand beats 64/128 in the bush. The reality here is that Intel is about 9-12 months ahead of AMD in terms of sampling out and validation.

Good to hear that Baidu has OK'd it though.

I am real curious whether the production ramp happens on B2 or a new stepping, and whether the segfault issue happens on Epyc.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Paul MaudDib posted:

Everyone knows that EPYC is great on paper but chips haven't been available for the last 6 months, and first-tier partners like HP/Dell have been getting frustrated by the lack of supply. 48 lanes in hand beats 64/128 in the bush. The reality here is that Intel is about 9-12 months ahead of AMD in terms of sampling out and validation.

Good to hear that Baidu has OK'd it though.

I am real curious whether the production ramp happens on B2 or a new stepping, and whether the segfault issue happens on Epyc.

I don't think putting off a multi million dollar purchase by 9-12 month for a product that will last years is that important.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Everyone knows that EPYC is great on paper but chips haven't been available for the last 6 months, and first-tier partners like HP/Dell have been getting frustrated by the lack of supply.

I would be quite surprised if there is a lack of supply. We bought couple Supermicro EPYC servers in November and the delivery didn't take any longer than HPE or Dell usually do. We aren't that significant customer and we bought through smallish Finnish reseller so I would doubt they get any preferential treatment.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
I think a lot of it is that every chip they have is going into validated boards for partner sales through HP/Supermicro, etc.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I would like an Epyc based Dell server or something. Something like a T330 with a single Epyc and room for 128GB RAM would be an awesome home-server.

My 32GB in the E3 is becoming a little cramped.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

No one has linked the Hardware Unboxed HP Envy x360 review?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOdFZYuG78w[

Looks pretty good.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
poo poo, the Envy x360 is a convertible, too, right?

I might be getting one some time in the foreseeable future, then. :hmm:

3peat
May 6, 2010

I finally managed to upgrade to Ryzen 1600

I posted that on r/amd and mentioned that I find tempered glass windows stupid, which made a bunch of people angry.. oops

Now I need to buy some case fans, which are the best these days? I read that Corsair ML are on par with Noctua, is there anything else worth considering? I need 3 regular fans and a slim one, all 120mm PWM

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
The MLs are head and shoulders above anything noctua can do these days

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

3peat posted:

I posted that on r/amd and mentioned that I find tempered glass windows stupid, which made a bunch of people angry.. oops

Now I need to buy some case fans, which are the best these days? I read that Corsair ML are on par with Noctua, is there anything else worth considering? I need 3 regular fans and a slim one, all 120mm PWM

Try fractal design fans, also I saw your thread earlier on reddit. Must have great temps with the open side

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

3peat posted:

*looks* OH HELL YES THE CIRCUIT BOARDS STILL THERE WOOHOOO

That looks clean. Reverse ATX mini case? That owns.

E - I found comments on your post.

quote:

That layout confuses me so much.

OK, so the motherboard is 180 degrees from normal, I can handle that.

But the power supply? There's no mains cable in the world that can fit in that space, is there a hole in the table?
Never change, Reddit.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 25, 2017

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
yeah its just a right angle cable or something right

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I have the same case and like it a lot, though I mod'ed in my own power cable since I didn't quite trust the one provided...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

underage at the vape shop posted:

yeah its just a right angle cable or something right

Right-angle cable leading off to a female socket somewhere on the exterior, probably, yes. Basically an extension cable.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
The PSU fan spits air outside, right?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's similar to a lian li case I had, front mounted power supply. Neat use of space. The Lian had it horizontal though.

It's a neat case and well built apparently. I like reverse matx / ATX etc.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Well for one, GPU cooling is almost universally better in a reverse configuration.

I'm personally looking for split compartment, with PSU/HDD/SSD on one side and everything else on the other, space for a 240mm Rad on the front and a clean, not-gamer aesthetic.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I should really just get a Fractal Design tattoo at some point. Have you seen the Define R6? Mmm-mmm! =P

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I should really just get a Fractal Design tattoo at some point. Have you seen the Define R6? Mmm-mmm! =P

The burrito place by me has a thing where if you get their name tattooed you get a year of free burritos

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Wirth1000 posted:

The burrito place by me has a thing where if you get their name tattooed you get a year of free burritos

Are they good?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Kilson posted:

Are they good?

Really fuckin' good.

https://www.instagram.com/bangbangburritos/

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

FaustianQ posted:

Well for one, GPU cooling is almost universally better in a reverse configuration.

It is. It's great for quiet systems.

I'd like a MITX, horizontal motherboard, space for a 360mm rad in the front. Just a mesh panel on the front and slanted top vents.

Similar to a Thermaltake X1 but compact as possible, no consideration for a top rad, solid build quality and as little plastic as possible (so not really like an X1 at all). Maybe with wheels like the V1000.

That's my dream case and nobody is ever going to make it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 26, 2017

3peat
May 6, 2010

Scarecow posted:

The MLs are head and shoulders above anything noctua can do these days

And turns out they are also much cheaper if you buy the 2 pack no-led version. I ordered one 2 pack for the top intake and a Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 12 for the bottom intake (it was the only slim fan they had in stock). 3 fans for less than the price of 2 Noctuas.
I'll keep the stock exhaust case fan for now.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Right-angle cable leading off to a female socket somewhere on the exterior, probably, yes. Basically an extension cable.

Yeah, though the adapter/extension cable they provided appears to be a 20 or 22 AWG cord and likely rated for 7-8-ish amps max, when most modern power supplies can pull up to 10 amps (and the larger units, even more). It seems like a weird place to slightly cheapen out. If the extension were on the outside it would be less of an issue, but since it's inside the case, it's subject to whatever the temperature inside the case is and with it the temperature derating.

Most power supplies will come with an 18 AWG cord which can easily handle the amperage, while some of the really high end units will go up to 16 AWG, so it's a bit frustrating.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 26, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

3peat posted:

I'm a fan of the bequiet silent wings 3, because i hate noise, but they aren't the best for static pressure/radiator applications.

Honestly, with the system you have in that picture, you don't really need anymore/different case fans... unless they are for a different system or somethin.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This business of 20 dollars a fan chaps my hide. I have a bunch of old Dell boxes with the Delta 120mm 4000rpm PWM fans. Yeah they will cut your loving finger off if you don't watch it at full bore. I've had them in a box for years intending on using them for something sometime.

So I found a page that explains how to swap the 4 PWM pins in the Dell proprietary header to work on a normal mobo. Fans work great at this point but I am having a little trouble 'tuning' the fans to run quiet but crank up when needed. The other thing is when I boot the PWM controller hasn't 'kicked in' yet and the fans start at 4000RPM and HOLY poo poo LOUD.

Before anyone freaks out I checked the amperage draw at 12v with these and it was around .7a (mobo max should be around 1.0a) Should not blow up my mobo.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 26, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Those 4k Deltas are great if your PC is in another county so you don't have to hear it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cygni posted:

Those 4k Deltas are great if your PC is in another county so you don't have to hear it.

They are PWM controlled. It's quite possible to make them silent. I just can't get the control-curve to my liking. The fans themselves though, amazing fans.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

redeyes posted:

They are PWM controlled. It's quite possible to make them silent. I just can't get the control-curve to my liking. The fans themselves though, amazing fans.

PWM doesn't mean they will be quiet. PWM fans have a pwm range that they work in. A 4000 rpm fan could work from 3000-4000rpm.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

PWM doesn't mean they will be quiet. PWM fans have a pwm range that they work in. A 4000 rpm fan could work from 3000-4000rpm.

These work fine at like 400rpm. Just my mobo doesn't give me enough control to keep them at a low speed range.

3peat
May 6, 2010

On my old PC I was getting download speeds between 40-60 MB/s maybe 70 on a good day, and I was blaming my ISP. Now with actually good NIC and CPU this is what I'm getting on steam and torrents, and basically im retarded for not upgrading earlier

Merry christmas to me :toot:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

3peat posted:

On my old PC I was getting download speeds between 40-60 MB/s maybe 70 on a good day, and I was blaming my ISP. Now with actually good NIC and CPU this is what I'm getting on steam and torrents, and basically im retarded for not upgrading earlier

Merry christmas to me :toot:

How many linux distros does one person need?!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

redeyes posted:

These work fine at like 400rpm. Just my mobo doesn't give me enough control to keep them at a low speed range.

I kept meaning to make a hovercraft drone out of thos fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

redeyes posted:

Get an aquaero