Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/bitmexrekt/status/945010902650191872
That’s about $400k lost betting on video card number values amirite?

oversteer fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

vortmax posted:

I'm still waiting on that list of large bitcoin companies and exchanges that have submitted to an external audit, since Uranium seems to think they exist.
lol what, i never said that

someone asked specifically about coinbase and i said that submitting to an external audit is a condition of their bitlicense

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

XK posted:

Still nobody can say what Ethereum does.

they have a partnership with microsoft just so you know !!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

oversteer posted:

https://twitter.com/bitmexrekt/status/945010902650191872
That’s about $400k lost betting on video card number values amirite?

I think the 5,312,500 is actual dollar value. And, that exchange offers 1,000x leverage? Might only be $5,000 lost?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

XK posted:

Dogecoin was the only functional and non-exploitive crypto. What a world.

You don't want to know what the side who inflated the price of dogecoin did

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/78xqxb/the-guy-who-ruined-dogecoin

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 24, 2017

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jikes posted:

how odd when bitcoiners are known for their good financial sense

i'm hodlmoon.com and bitcoins are totally not a meme

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

XK posted:

I think the 5,312,500 is actual dollar value. And, that exchange offers 1,000x leverage? Might only be $5,000 lost?
only up to 100x, so it would be 50k

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

You idiots, Amazon is going to start taking bitcoin payments next year and you will be left crying, like a filthy NoCoiner, as you deserve

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Uranium 235 posted:

someone asked specifically about coinbase and i said that submitting to an external audit is a condition of their bitlicense

Did they do it? I’d think you’d know better than most here. Coinbase is like the biggest exchange in all of btc I thought. Today at least.

Lols throughout

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/technology/coinbase-bitcoin.html

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 24, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

You idiots, Amazon is going to start taking bitcoin payments next year and you will be left crying, like a filthy NoCoiner, as you deserve
It is funny because if Amazon came up with some kind of inhouse store credit coin they could actually probably pull it off. The Tinglecoin.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Nessus posted:

It is funny because if Amazon came up with some kind of inhouse store credit coin they could actually probably pull it off. The Tinglecoin.
I believe you can use your Amazon balance (from gift cards or whatever) to buy not just stuff on Amazon but any website that supports Amazon Pay. They also have their own currency called Amazon Coins but I think it's only for purchases on their Google Play Store competitor.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I'm traveling for Christmas and my bitcoin balance wasn't enough to cover the hostel plus transaction fees so now I'm sleeping with my wife and dog at the homeless shelter. Thanks roger verr

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Nessus posted:

I think they'll do this, and it will work, because unlike Bitcoin they have an entire ecosystem of goods and services they can offer at a discount when you use their coin. You can buy almost anything on Amazon, so Amazon gift cards are really almost as good as money. All they'd have to do is throw you like 5-10% off when you use their coin and it's a no brainer.

If you're an Amazon employee and they offered you a percent of your salary in the coin and you don't pay taxes on it or whatever, why wouldn't you do that? Save on taxes plus get discounts on things you were going to buy anyway.

If you're an Amazon seller and they offer to pay you in their coin in exchange for subsidized seller fees, why wouldn't you do that? Increase your margins plus get discounts on things you were going to buy anyway.

They'd basically be a bank at that point.

It probably lets them circumvent taxes in some way that I'm not tax-smart enough to know about too

And then we're the United States of Amazon.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

paternity suitor posted:

I think they'll do this, and it will work, because unlike Bitcoin they have an entire ecosystem of goods and services they can offer at a discount when you use their coin. You can buy almost anything on Amazon, so Amazon gift cards are really almost as good as money. All they'd have to do is throw you like 5-10% off when you use their coin and it's a no brainer.

If you're an Amazon employee and they offered you a percent of your salary in the coin and you don't pay taxes on it or whatever, why wouldn't you do that? Save on taxes plus get discounts on things you were going to buy anyway.

If you're an Amazon seller and they offer to pay you in their coin in exchange for subsidized seller fees, why wouldn't you do that? Increase your margins plus get discounts on things you were going to buy anyway.
I imagine the primary reasons would be that rent and medical care are not denominated in Amazoncoins

What is probably more plausible is that they would waive some fees of some kind if your transaction is done through their system, of whatever sort.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

Did they do it? I’d think you’d know better than most here. Coinbase is like the biggest exchange in all of btc I thought. Today at least.

Lols throughout

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/technology/coinbase-bitcoin.html
do you have amnesia

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

paternity suitor posted:

They'd basically be a bank at that point.

It probably lets them circumvent taxes in some way that I'm not tax-smart enough to know about too

And then we're the United States of Amazon.
i don't think you can avoid taxes by getting paid in gift cards

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

Uranium 235 posted:

i don't think you can avoid taxes by getting paid in gift cards

As soon as you turn it into goods or services its a taxable event the same as turning it into fiat currency.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think the idea is that in some way Amazon could use this system to avoid taxes, not that you, J. Random Blowjob, would be able to do so.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Uranium 235 posted:

Powershift posted:

Here's a comprehensive list of large bitcoin companies that act as banks or trading platforms that have submitted to an external audit:

Uranium 235 posted:

lol look at you being wrong

So I figured you thought at least one of the large bitcoin companies has submitted to an external audit. You keep saying Coinbase has to, but not that they actually have.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Just wanted to throw it out there, consider putting your money in things that generate income.
:siren: early millennial spotted :siren:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

If nobody can tell me what Ethereum does, by noon EST, tomorrow, December 25th, I'm going to declare that anyone putting money into ETH is a big dummy.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
You can buy drugs online with it, just like all the others.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jikes posted:

You can buy drugs online with it, just like all the others.
Apparently all the junkies hate it now because of the high fees and lengthy transaction times.

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017

XK posted:

If nobody can tell me what Ethereum does, by noon EST, tomorrow, December 25th, I'm going to declare that anyone putting money into ETH is a big dummy.

:wth:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Uranium 235 posted:

do you have amnesia

I do. Is coinbase a public or private company?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

XK posted:

It's a crytpocurrency that you can run code on to make smart contracts but if you don't have enough of a fee(gas) attached to run all the code you lose everything, and also some people make it reference external libraries for their smart contracts, and some dude accidentally took control of one of those libraries and deleted it locking up everybody's money forever and also cryptokitties is on it and started causing delays for other, non-cryptokitty stuff on it.

They had the DAO which was supposed to be a "decentralized autonomous organization" on it that some dude robbed, and half of the people using etherium wanted to fork it back to before the hack erasing like a week of transactions so they ended up forking into the pre-hack fork that kept calling itself ethereum, and the post-hack fork called ethereum classic. This should have been a massive wake-up call to everyone involved that if the people in power in this poo poo, the developers and miners, decide to gently caress you over to defend their own interests, there's not much you can do about it.

TL;DR :gas:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Ethereum is for distributed processing. What is it processing? What has it ever calculated that wasn't a programming loop hole that took magic tokens from one person and gave them to another?

I literally want to know just one thing of any value that ETH has done, ever. The actual distributed processing functionality itself. Any thing.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Uranium 235 posted:

What is a bit licence,? Who decides who gets one? Is someone regulating the trading of bitcoin with licences?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Powershift posted:

It's a crytpocurrency that you can run code on to make smart contracts but if you don't have enough of a fee(gas) attached to run all the code you lose everything, and also some people make it reference external libraries for their smart contracts, and some dude accidentally took control of one of those libraries and deleted it locking up everybody's money forever and also cryptokitties is on it and started causing delays for other, non-cryptokitty stuff on it.

They had the DAO which was supposed to be a "decentralized autonomous organization" on it that some dude robbed, and half of the people using etherium wanted to fork it back to before the hack erasing like a week of transactions so they ended up forking into the pre-hack fork that kept calling itself ethereum, and the post-hack fork called ethereum classic. This should have been a massive wake-up call to everyone involved that if the people in power in this poo poo, the developers and miners, decide to gently caress you over to defend their own interests, there's not much you can do about it.

Crypto kitties almost counts for my challenge, but not quite. Closest it's gotten, though.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Thinking about getting one of these credit cards.
https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2228646-the-shift-card

Any downsides? I just wish they had a rewards program.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
From my understanding, etherium is distributing computing for idiots. In normal distributed computing, you have huge data sets or problems, so break it up into small chunks. Etherium, on the other hand, takes a single small program, and has everyone run it the exact same way to make sure everyone agrees on the outcome. So the entire network will always have the processing power of a late 90s cellphone, regardless of how many people are actually mining.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Burt Sexual posted:

Thinking about getting one of these credit cards.
https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2228646-the-shift-card

Any downsides? I just wish they had a rewards program.

I desperately want a debit account where I have no idea how much money I have from moment to moment.

Daily ATM withdrawal limit of $200.

Daily spending limit of $1,000. But I can choose to lower this limit to any amount below $1,000.

This is my poo poo.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why would anyone want that card. Really dumb.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Powershift posted:

whoever said bitcoin is one weird trick to get libertarians to reinvent government had it right

being able to change monetary policy, or numbers in a computer based ledger, or whatever, based on the consensus of actual human beings is a feature, not a bug

like, that's our main power as sentient beings, it's not some kind of societal design flaw

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
Consensus is hard to achieve, though, and so you end up with messes like the BTC-Bitcoin Cash fork.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

XK posted:

Ethereum is for distributed processing. What is it processing? What has it ever calculated that wasn't a programming loop hole that took magic tokens from one person and gave them to another?

I literally want to know just one thing of any value that ETH has done, ever. The actual distributed processing functionality itself. Any thing.

I don't know the details of Ethereum, so here's instead how it works in Bitcoin. It should give you an idea why somebody sufficiently autistic might find it a good idea.

Bitcoin doesn't have most of what you think of when thinking of bitcoin. It doesn't even have butts. Addresses and wallets are not part of Bitcoin.

Instead, there's only transactions. Transactions transfer funbux from "inputs" to "outputs." You can think of it as if A wants to transfer 20 funbux to B, they use their own wallet as input and transfer the money to two outputs: 20 goes to B and all the rest goes back to A.

As mentioned, this is an over-simplification. Inputs are not wallets or addresses, but instead little programs. The most common program is called P2PKH (pay to public key hash). In order to transfer some funbux to somebody else, you write a small program that returns 1 if they other user is allowed to spend the money and 0 otherwise. This program is constructed so this is difficult. That's where the crypto part comes in. A Bitcoin transaction output is literally such a program, called a pubkey script.

A Bitcoin input is another program which tries to satisfy the output program. This is called the signature script. If you hate yourself, you can view the standard templates for this at https://bitcoin.org/en/developer-guide#p2pkh-script-validation

Now, aside from using the standard P2PKH script, you can also use other scripts. For example, you can use a script that requires two out of three signatures. That way, no single person can spend the funbux on their own: it requires the cooperation of at least two out of three. This would for example be useful when Bitcoin becomes the preferred way of payment for real companies (LOL!), where at least part of the management need to sign for spending money. Or exchanges could use it so no single person can steal all the butts, but there's no reason anybody would want that.

It is in principle possible to put in any program. Also in Bitcoin (they just disabled it because it's a big loving security risk). This is a smart contract. You can in principle make up the exact rules for when money can be spent. For example, you can implement escrow by requiring two out of two signatures. Or a more fancy contract taking time into account (can be transferred with 2 signatures now or with just one in a year, similar to what is needed for lightening).

So, you can in principle put any regular contract as we know it today into a pubkey script and have the money be available transferred in the right conditions. The problem is that only a super-autist believes that 1) they can code the contract without errors, 2) they can code the contract so it takes every case into account, and 3) anybody would want this in reality ever. Fact is, contracts are typically ambiguous and that's a good thing - you can focus on what's important and discuss the details if it ever becomes essential.

What you know as a Bitcoin address is an encoded version of a hashed version of the public key of the public/private keypair used to sign transactions. This is enough to create the pubkey script for P2PKH transactions. A wallet is a program that generates the standard transactions for you and keeps track of which transaction outputs have not been spent.

TL;DR: there is no real usage scenario.

klafbang fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 25, 2017

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jikes posted:

Consensus is hard to achieve, though, and so you end up with messes like the BTC-Bitcoin Cash fork.

That's why Bitcoin Gold is the currency of the future.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

XK posted:

You're getting mad, online.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

You're getting mad, online.

Nah. I just think ETH has somehow managed to be even more stupid and worthless than bitcoin, and it makes me lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

vortmax posted:

So I figured you thought at least one of the large bitcoin companies has submitted to an external audit. You keep saying Coinbase has to, but not that they actually have.
every company licensed by the nysdfs has to submit annual audits

i trust them to enforce that condition but i can't prove they do

gemini has been licensed for longer than a year iirc, while coinbase has been for 11 months. if there's a way to get proof then it's probably easier for gemini, but i'm not going to do it