Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Bitcoin was essentially an art project made with code, and it's not the creators fault it got turned into a gambling vehicle for "investors". Crypto currencies are pretty cool from a conceptual standpoint and imagine if etherium version 2 or 3 succeed in turning all of the world's mining power towards solving difficult research problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

ilmucche posted:

What is a bit licence,? Who decides who gets one? Is someone regulating the trading of bitcoin with licences?
bitlicense is what the new york state department of financial services calls their license for cryptocurrency businesses

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Uranium 235 posted:

every company licensed by the nysdfs has to submit annual audits

i trust them to enforce that condition but i can't prove they do

gemini has been licensed for longer than a year iirc, while coinbase has been for 11 months. if there's a way to get proof then it's probably easier for gemini, but i'm not going to do it

So like blind faith with your money? Sounds very fiatish

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

So like blind faith with your money? Sounds very fiatish
faith in the nysdfs

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Salt Fish posted:

imagine if etherium version 2 or 3 succeed in turning all of the world's mining power towards solving difficult research problems.

Ha ha.

Great story, Mark.

Anyway, how's your sex life?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

smoobles posted:

Bitcoin Millionaires can afford such things, scrub

But apparently they can't afford a less tacky tree

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Uranium 235 posted:

faith in the nysdfs

https://www.sec.gov/reportspubs/investor-publications/investorpubsaboutauditorshtm.html

So they have to file a 10-k and Edgar will have the auditors listed there

https://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?company=Coinbase&owner=exclude&action=getcompany

Hmm idk again but they filed to do securities like 5 years ago?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

Did they do it? I’d think you’d know better than most here. Coinbase is like the biggest exchange in all of btc I thought. Today at least.

Lols throughout

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/technology/coinbase-bitcoin.html

IIRC Bitfinex is still the biggest exchange in all of btc

Bitfinex, the same shady-rear end exchange that all banks refuse to deal with due to their connections to fraud and money laundering, and who blatantly violated laws that most countries have by stealing from customers to pay off a "theft". The one that prints off a ton of Tethers and buys bitcoins from depositors every time that the price begins to fall, making $50M show up on their books in an afternoon out of nowhere like it's nothing

The same Bitfinex that basically everyone agrees no one should ever use. That's the most popular bitcoin exchange

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

QuarkJets posted:

IIRC Bitfinex is still the biggest exchange in all of btc

Bitfinex, the same shady-rear end exchange that all banks refuse to deal with due to their connections to fraud and money laundering, and who blatantly violated laws that most countries have by stealing from customers to pay off a "theft". The one that prints off a ton of Tethers and buys bitcoins from depositors every time that the price begins to fall, making $50M show up on their books in an afternoon out of nowhere like it's nothing

The same Bitfinex that basically everyone agrees no one should ever use. That's the most popular bitcoin exchange

Let's trade futures everybody.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

paternity suitor posted:

I think they'll do this, and it will work, because unlike Bitcoin they have an entire ecosystem of goods and services they can offer at a discount when you use their coin. You can buy almost anything on Amazon, so Amazon gift cards are really almost as good as money. All they'd have to do is throw you like 5-10% off when you use their coin and it's a no brainer.

If you're an Amazon employee and they offered you a percent of your salary in the coin and you don't pay taxes on it or whatever, why wouldn't you do that? Save on taxes plus get discounts on things you were going to buy anyway.

If you're an Amazon seller and they offer to pay you in their coin in exchange for subsidized seller fees, why wouldn't you do that? Increase your margins plus get discounts on things you were going to buy anyway.

They'd basically be a bank at that point.

It probably lets them circumvent taxes in some way that I'm not tax-smart enough to know about too

And then we're the United States of Amazon.

This idea has been brought up here before, but the question that no one could answer was: Why would Amazon bother doing any of this? There's no advantage to creating a cryptocurrency for gift card money. It transfers away control of your own balances if you make it public, and it is insanely wasteful if you keep it private.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

https://www.sec.gov/reportspubs/investor-publications/investorpubsaboutauditorshtm.html

So they have to file a 10-k and Edgar will have the auditors listed there

https://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?company=Coinbase&owner=exclude&action=getcompany

Hmm idk again but they filed to do securities like 5 years ago?
coinbase isn't publicly traded

i'm definitely not an expert on sec filings but could that result in edgar be for a private sale of equity in coinbase to venture capital?

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 25, 2017

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
https://medium.com/@bitfinexed/meet-picasso-the-painter-on-gdax-c478ff8f50e5

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Rewind the tape. Run MtGox again.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

XK posted:

If nobody can tell me what Ethereum does, by noon EST, tomorrow, December 25th, I'm going to declare that anyone putting money into ETH is a big dummy.

I know exactly what it does, but I’m NEVER telling you people, because it’s such an incredible, once in a lifetime money-making opportunity, I’d be scared of you idiots diluting my earnings. All I can say ? 1 ETH= 1 Lambo, and I’m putting ALL my money AND life savings in crypto currency, because it’s so freaking amazing, it’s like buying Apple stock BEFORE the iPhone, or Amazon stock 5 years ago!!!!!!!

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 25, 2017

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
new from johnny Bcash

quote:

A hodler arrived just the other day
He came to the bitcoin in the usual way
there were dips to buy, and fees to pay
He learned to meme while I was away
And he was shitpostin 'fore I knew it and as he grew
He said, I'm gonna be a fool, Dad
You know I'm gonna be like you
And the margin loans guaranteed by the crib and the silver spoon
Little bitcoin is going to the moon
When you gonna buy Dad?
I don't know when but we'll get rich together then
You know we'll have a good time then
My son bought ten just the other day,
He said "Thanks for the coins, Dad, come on help me pay
Can you teach me to hold?", I said
"Not today, I got a lot to do", he said, "That's okay"
And he walked away but his smile never dimmed
He said, "I'm gonna hodl for him, yeah
You know I'm gonna hodl for him"
And the coins in the cradle and the fiats no boon
Little bitcoins are going to the moon
When you gonna hodl, Dad?
I don't know when but we'll get buy together then
You know we'll have a good time then

He came from reddit just the other day
Not much like a man, I just had to say
"Son I'm proud of you, but can you sell your crypto pile?"
He shook his head, and said with a smile
"What I'd really like, Dad, is to borrow equity
See ya later, can I have some please?"
And the margin loans guaranteed by the home, and all our silver spoons
Little bitcoin is going to the moon
When you gonna sell Son?
I don't know when but I’ll hodl till then, Dad
You know we'll have lots of money then

Now I've retired, my son's run away
I called him up just the other day
I said, "I'd like to see my money, if you don't mind"
He said, "I'd love to, Dad, if I could find the time
My new job's a hassle and the banks got a clue they’re garnishing my wages too
But it's nice talkin' to you Dad, it's sure nice talkin' to you"
As I hung up the phone it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me
And my kids in debt, lost all my silver spoons
Little bitcoin never made it to the moon
When you gonna sell, Son?
I don't know if I can, but we’ll get together then Dad
You gonna have a lambo then

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

All the videos in that wouldn’t play because of “violations of do not track in your browser” lol

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I know you have many questions. I hope this explains everything.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
Thank you, I'm going to print out twenty color copies of this and bring them to family dinner tomorrow. I'm so tired of trying to explain this bullshit.

Nessus posted:

Apparently all the junkies hate it now because of the high fees and lengthy transaction times.

The markets are all switching to monero.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Cheat sheet for family holiday interactions where bitcoin or any crypto currency is brought up:

"No, don't."

I've researched this for years, and now I'm sharing my hard earned labor with you.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

XK posted:

Cheat sheet for family holiday interactions where bitcoin or any crypto currency is brought up:

"No, don't."

I've researched this for years, and now I'm sharing my hard earned labor with you.

It really does hurt to see people you care about get sucked in by this thing. :( On the other hand, you can't save them from themselves.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

XK posted:

If nobody can tell me what Ethereum does, by noon EST, tomorrow, December 25th, I'm going to declare that anyone putting money into ETH is a big dummy.

Wow what a threat

XK
Jul 9, 2001

CassandraZara posted:

Wow what a threat

I can't take credit. I think Liam Neeson said it in that "Taken" movie.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

XK posted:

I can't take credit. I think Liam Neeson said it in that "Taken" movie.

It was actually in Taken 2

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
might've been posted before but this thread spits out like 300 pages a day

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gywqem/now-you-can-literally-get-hosed-by-the-price-of-bitcoin

XK
Jul 9, 2001

quote:

You might remember CamSoda from previous sex tech stunts. There was Ocast, which had me lick my disgusting phone screen to remotely control a sex toy, and OhRama, which allowed me to smell sweaty balls in virtual reality.

I think this guy actually has a problem, and he's pretending he only knows of these things because he's a quirky off-beat reporter, ha ha.

You can be a sex weirdo without writing articles about it, guy.

motherboard is poo poo, vice is poo poo

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Salt Fish posted:

Bitcoin was essentially an art project made with code, and it's not the creators fault it got turned into a gambling vehicle for "investors". Crypto currencies are pretty cool from a conceptual standpoint and imagine if etherium version 2 or 3 succeed in turning all of the world's mining power towards solving difficult research problems.
We already had a system for this called Folding@Home and other opt-in cloud-computing endeavors. The problem is, when the ledger gets long enough, people stop really spending a lot of time "mining" (doing the hard problems) and start spending a lot more time doing the bullshit transaction logic. The mining was a reward to keep the lights on, the purpose of having said lights on was to allow for the transaction ledger to continually be updated.

A system designed to solve hard problems that slowly gets worse at solving hard problems over time because of the overhead of everything that's happening in the system is not really a system that's good at solving problems.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

You idiots, Amazon is going to start taking bitcoin payments next year and you will be left crying, like a filthy NoCoiner, as you deserve
once bitcoin replaces all dirty fiat currencies in the world, you will be begging and pleading with your neofeudal lord to increase the granularity of bitcoins so that you can receive at least some satoshi shavings

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sestze posted:

We already had a system for this called Folding@Home and other opt-in cloud-computing endeavors. The problem is, when the ledger gets long enough, people stop really spending a lot of time "mining" (doing the hard problems) and start spending a lot more time doing the bullshit transaction logic. The mining was a reward to keep the lights on, the purpose of having said lights on was to allow for the transaction ledger to continually be updated.

A system designed to solve hard problems that slowly gets worse at solving hard problems over time because of the overhead of everything that's happening in the system is not really a system that's good at solving problems.

This post reads like you took 3-4 other posts that were basically factual and then glued them together into a new one that doesn't make any sense. The dude wanted to know why etherium exists and the answer is roughly that the author wanted to fix the wasteful nature of mining. I've seen dozens of people in this thread complain about all the waste involved in mining, so you'd think it'd be well received to have someone playing around with the basis of a partial fix. This iteration has some clear issues, but that's part of the process of inventing. It's not the protocol's fault that idiots pick up the open source project and try to speculate with it.

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!
https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/944362194837360640

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

This post reads like you took 3-4 other posts that were basically factual and then glued them together into a new one that doesn't make any sense. The dude wanted to know why etherium exists and the answer is roughly that the author wanted to fix the wasteful nature of mining. I've seen dozens of people in this thread complain about all the waste involved in mining, so you'd think it'd be well received to have someone playing around with the basis of a partial fix. This iteration has some clear issues, but that's part of the process of inventing. It's not the protocol's fault that idiots pick up the open source project and try to speculate with it.

The reason for Ethereum existing is that roughly the author wanted to fix the wasteful nature of mining? Playing around with a partial fix?

I'm just a dumb rear end on the Internet, and the only reason I threw down on Ethereum is because it's self-evidently dumb, and I know that nobody can provide a reasonable usage scenario for it. I haven't even gotten decent comedy answers. The best is crypto kitties, and near second is "playing around".

It's like the third ranked crypto?

:lol:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Merry Bitmas

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
cum

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Here in Australia:
New Payments Platform to deliver instant bank transfers

quote:

BANKING customers will soon be able to farewell painful payment delays with money transferred to another person’s account to appear within a matter of seconds.

Getting a customer’s payment details including a BSB and account number will no longer be required and instead a person’s phone number or email address will be enough to transfer cash.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Glad to know that news.com.au articles get a pass through Google translate.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

i have $4k in tether trapped in 'pending withdrawal' on hitbtc because i wanted to sell my shitcoin DENT and it had the best DENT volume. turns out hitbtc is freezing random withdrawals and hasn't responded to anybody for weeks :newlol:

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 25, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

new gf she a gamer posted:

i have $4k in tether trapped in 'pending withdrawal' on hitbtc because i wanted to sell my shitcoin DENT and it had the best DENT volume. turns out hitbtc is freezing random withdrawals and hasn't responded to anybody for weeks :newlol:

Freezing random withdrawals eh?

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Bitcoin Santa came and he made me convert my present into elfbux before disappearing completely

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
My favorite crypto currency is Augur, which had an insane spike like a week ago for no reason. I had never even heard of it before and saw the reddit for it, where everyone is like “uhh, why is it going so high? Cool, I guess.”

I don’t understand why so many currencies exist! Looking at the exchanges give me a huge list, along with the “popular” ones there are several I never heard of like Zcash trading for several hundred.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Original_Z posted:

I don’t understand why so many currencies exist! Looking at the exchanges give me a huge list, along with the “popular” ones there are several I never heard of like Zcash trading for several hundred.

All of them will be necessary in immediate future and due to their extremely limited supply and advanced Technologies they will change the Global industries and become new God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Let me explain why there are so many coins

Wikipedia posted:

Dogecoin (/ˈdoʊʒkɔɪn/ DOHZH-koyn,[2] code: DOGE, symbol: Ð[3] and D) is a cryptocurrency featuring a likeness of the Shiba Inu dog from the "Doge" Internet meme as its logo.[4][5][6][7] Introduced as a "joke currency" on 6 December 2013, Dogecoin quickly developed its own online community and reached a capitalization of US$60 million in January 2014;[8] as of December 2017, it has a capitalization of US$308 million. (note: this is outdated the market cap is actually now $1.2 billion)
So that's why everyone is making their own coins.