Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

wish we got more dawning boons per day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

kzin602 posted:

Applied for [TIME] 2 Chill 2 Serious as geekboi#1528
Got you.

Related, if anyone here applied to TIME with the name @OddPirahna or BEAR as @Haquer you're either not on any of the Discord servers I frequent (Overchill, Hotdog, Naan) or your name/nickname doesn't line up with your BattleTag. Please either join the Overchill Discord (since you've applied to an Overchill affiliated clan) and say something or shoot me a DM on Discord at Mercurius#7547.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Mercurius posted:

Got you.

Related, if anyone here applied to TIME with the name @OddPirahna or BEAR as @Haquer you're either not on any of the Discord servers I frequent (Overchill, Hotdog, Naan) or your name/nickname doesn't line up with your BattleTag. Please either join the Overchill Discord (since you've applied to an Overchill affiliated clan) and say something or shoot me a DM on Discord at Mercurius#7547.

Uhhh hm. Haquer applied to Shaxxon-Mobil; I picked up his app, but if he reads this, he's welcome to leave & switch, if he meant to apply to Hoot Dog

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Bust Rodd posted:

I know that crafting is a sticking point that has permeated too many games, but a multiplayer game like this with a healthy PLAYER economy Destiny 2 has good use for crafting. It could both boost player interaction and make the Tower/Farm useful.

What if players could pick a trade: Gunsmithing, Engineering, Chemistry

Gunsmithing allows players to make specific mods for their weapons, tune their masterworks to either PvP/PvE, or creat weird perks like “this gun is both arc & solar damage” or “this gun heals your teammate if you shoot them”

Engineering would allow players to build or mod their Sparrow/Ghost/Armor Stats as well as modifying your ship with some kind of buff, like an orbital weapons air strike attack or a from orbit satellite allowing you to find specific types of mobs/resources. This would also allow you to engineer a stat point or two to your cape/mark/focus.

Chemistry would allow players to craft a variety of PvE/PvP buffs that function like medallions, except they could do way more, like boost sprint speed, or a potion that improves health regen for each teammate within 10 feet who also has that buff, or you explode in Arc energy when you die like the Vex.

The game already has a dozen worthless materials. What if Alkane, Phasedust, Dusklight, Simulation Seeds, etc had value? What if grinding for gun telemetry was worth it in any appreciable way?

By giving players trade-skills you encourage player economy and interaction, both of which improve the longevity of your game. It also further diversifies the game because instead of all 9 sub classes playing identically, a Solar Hunter with chemistry buffs moving and supering faster would then be different from a solar Hunter who had rare personal mods or whatever. These changes when tuned can make the player behind the wheel feel very cool and smart for tuning their load out, but don’t feel mechanically different to play against, which means it’s not as challenging to balance for PvP.

I’m just saying that all those resources are in the game, the skeleton for a player trade/crafting system is here and I earnestly believe it would create a meaningful and exciting end-game that fosters more player interaction and less hiding in your discord waiting for something to happen.

While I’m drawing up a magic pony wishlist:

Sparrow Racing League at the Farm

A PvE horde mode event in the Dark Forest with the shard, your fire team queues up and sees how long it can last until eventually the game is just shutting out yellow bar super Minotaurs and legionnaires

Create planetary tile sets for Infinite Forest and allow me to run Infinite Forest Rifts

Giant World Raid Bosses (A sea dragon on titan, a Vex Milk swamp thing on IO, a rogue AI swarm on Nessus, etc.)

gently caress off

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Planetary bosses that have some kind of cool down timer like SW TOR has would be cool though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Skoll posted:

Planetary bosses that have some kind of cool down timer like SW TOR has would be cool though.

Yeah, like, the other suggestions that weren't crafting poo poo were sound.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm not certain why shooters in TYOOL 2017 still launch without Horde modes so yeah we need one of those.

Orv
May 4, 2011

1stGear posted:

I'm not certain why shooters in TYOOL 2017 still launch without Horde modes so yeah we need one of those.

I think you could make a pretty decent argument that once you've seen one you've kind of seen them all, since no one has really shaken them up all that much beyond just adding their own bits and bobs mechanics, so I'm not chomping at the bit for one.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Destiny 2 introduces Crucible Battle Royale

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Best horde mode I've played is still Gears of War 2, personally. I loved the defensive aspects of it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Orv posted:

I think you could make a pretty decent argument that once you've seen one you've kind of seen them all, since no one has really shaken them up all that much beyond just adding their own bits and bobs mechanics, so I'm not chomping at the bit for one.

Basically

Skoll posted:

Best horde mode I've played is still Gears of War 2, personally. I loved the defensive aspects of it.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Some UT2K4 game modes would be very welcome. Assault, Onslaught and Bombing Run could all work within the game's framework if they just drop the asinine 4v4 restriction and make some larger maps.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
they should add in Invasion, the greatest asymmetrical pvp game mode ever designed (also made by bungie)

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Skoll posted:

So true. SO TRUE.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
horde was good (and why almost every wave-based game mode was called ‘horde’ after it) but it was super simple and there were like no defensive aspects at all? you would just kill enemies until they were all dead or you were.

Orv
May 4, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

horde was good (and why almost every wave-based game mode was called ‘horde’ after it) but it was super simple and there were like no defensive aspects at all? you would just kill enemies until they were all dead or you were.

To be fair they probably both mean GoW 3 Horde which was the one that introduced a point system for buying deployables and such.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Republicans posted:

Some UT2K4 game modes would be very welcome. Assault, Onslaught and Bombing Run could all work within the game's framework if they just drop the asinine 4v4 restriction and make some larger maps.

I expect Rift to come back at some point, which is sorta Bombing Run/extremely Space Jam.
I also expect Combined Arms to come back, Onslaught style; it's similar, minus the base-network mechanic which was aite. In D1 previously it was Control on larger scale maps, with vehicles.
I'm pretty sure 8v8 is on the horizon somewhere, to suit this...

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 25, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
No, I legit meant GoW 2. There were parts of the map that were ideal to hold cause if you spent the entire game just rushing, you'd die. My friends and I used to find places to dig in and deploy captured shields so we'd have a little fortified area and whatnot. I actually didn't play 3 because I had gotten rid of my consoles by the time that released.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mango Polo posted:

Buddy, if you hover over an ornament you'll notice it sayd "Unlock" instead of "Discard". You don't need to keep ornaments in your inventory.

Again, the problem is that you can't do that when your inventory is ALREADY full. Gotta delete poo poo to make room for them in the first place, or it's straight to the mailbox on the initial unlock. "Oh cool, I found the golden Sweet business unlock-whoops, into the mail it goes."

Unless you have discovered the secret cheat code to use and discard items that are inside your mailbox? Mine is filling up again and that would be great.

Real hell is the paints. Even if I stopped to erase ten+ kinds of shaders so I could clean out the season 2/Osiris/Dawning paints clogging up the mailbox, all that would do is replace what dozen different paint stacks go to the mailbox. Then even more once they release even more paints.

But the more frequent annoyance is having to decide what kind of armor modification I want to throw in the garbage this time if I want to be allowed to craft a purple mod, unlock an ornament banished to my mailbox, or clean out my mailbox because I can't retrieve teleportation effects for the sole purpose of deleting them without first deleting something I already have. Because of apparent limits where your mailbox will start eating stuff you actually want once it gets too full.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 25, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i mean i’ll concede you should have more inventory space but your entire cascading Rube Goldberg-esque problem is entirely solved by proactively managing your inventory given that like eighty percent of the mods in the game are some degree of useless

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Having to manage one's inventory is kind of the problem.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
you do know you can stick shaders in the vault right

Also Gears 2 Horde mode was the poo poo, and there's only been a few games that came close to it. Reach/ODST's mode (firefight?) was neat and good, Nazi Zombies started out pretty bare bones and pretty much got fleshed out into it's own loving game. Honestly you don't wholly need a horde mode, all you need to do is bring back the Court of Oryx/Archon's Forge set up from Destiny 1. Just add an area (like, say, in the infinite forest), add a few things that you can feed a consumable item into (some random token for enemies to drop when killed) and you get a public event, maybe with varying difficulty based on the rarity of the thing that was dropped. Make it a public instance so random fucks can come in and feed their tokens to the mix, and you can spend an hour or three, hanging around, murdering dudes and collecting loot.

Court summoned a little miniboss with some random gimmick; one dude had a rotating shield (poor, poor Vorlog), one was a pair of knights who you were invulnerable if they were too far apart form each other, one dude was invulnerable if there were any adds alive, one dude would regenerate like a motherfucker if left alone, there was a trio of wizards that had to be killed roughly at the same time or they would start respawning. Archon's forge literally just spawned a bunch of enemies, you had to kill a bunch within the timelimit to spawn the boss and then there was a boss and you killed him and got loot.

Also enemies dropped loot like motherfuckers. And you could raise your light level with it!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Companies type A: productive programmers, low art production. You get many gamemodes and subsystems, patch notes are two pages long. Art is reused again and again.

Companies type B: slow programmers, hyperactive artist. You get many models and creative environments. It takes too long to see a new patch, but when you get it, is beautiful.

Bungie: slow programmers, low art production. You never see new game modes. Everything is reused content. It takes 6 months to see a new weapon, and is a re-skined Origin Story. But the art is beautiful and the pew pew pew is fun.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Here's the clan page. Apply and let's get back to earning our 4 engrams here: https://www.bungie.net/en/ClanV2?groupid=2120274

Never ever log off, play forever.

Applied as DeusVult

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Destiny 2 inventory is hot garbage and if everyone had like 500 slots there would be a significant reduction of legitimate complaints

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Eej posted:

Destiny 2 inventory is hot garbage and if everyone had like 500 slots there would be a significant reduction of legitimate complaints

With fixed rolls there's literally zero reason for not running a kiosk system and keeping the inventory at a reasonable size.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There isn't a technical reason for a finite vault size, right? It's just a MMO tradition?

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

With diablo 3 it was gameplay reasons. At least a designer at some point said “if we add more room, the same people will scream for more”, so they didn’t. Until they did add more space.

It’s never technical

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

There isn't a technical reason for a finite vault size, right? It's just a MMO tradition?

There isn't, especially when loot is fixed, but at some point you have so many slots that inventory management just gets dumb as poo poo.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i mean i’ll concede you should have more inventory space but your entire cascading Rube Goldberg-esque problem is entirely solved by proactively managing your inventory given that like eighty percent of the mods in the game are some degree of useless

Luv 2 proactively manage inventory

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
One of the most annoying issues in D1 was how your postmastered loot needed to be shuttled over to the cryptarch for decryption,even though it was useless blues. This meant after a play sesh you’d spend 5-10 minutes running back and forth decrypting one of each item type per run.

It appeared D2 fixed this, and I was effuse with my praise that they acknowledged the issue and move to a loot/inventory system with a little thought.

Boy was I wrong. It just took a little time to discover that this iteration was even more actively hostile to the player. It’s so bad.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

One of the most annoying issues in D1 was how your postmastered loot needed to be shuttled over to the cryptarch for decryption,even though it was useless blues. This meant after a play sesh you’d spend 5-10 minutes running back and forth decrypting one of each item type per run.

It appeared D2 fixed this, and I was effuse with my praise that they acknowledged the issue and move to a loot/inventory system with a little thought.

Boy was I wrong. It just took a little time to discover that this iteration was even more actively hostile to the player. It’s so bad.
I don’t think it’s worse because the shuttling thing you mentioned was more terrible than anything in D2, but it’s certainly not much better. But maybe this opinion is skewed because we’ve had DIM for the entire length of D2’s run and didn’t have it at the beginning of D1.

It’s actually impressive how badly mod and shader inventory is handled, it’s like no one at Bungie actually played the game at 280+ for any amount of time when they were testing.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

wyoak posted:

I don’t think it’s worse because the shuttling thing you mentioned was more terrible than anything in D2, but it’s certainly not much better. But maybe this opinion is skewed because we’ve had DIM for the entire length of D2’s run and didn’t have it at the beginning of D1.

It’s actually impressive how badly mod and shader inventory is handled, it’s like no one at Bungie actually played the game at 280+ for any amount of time when they were testing.

Yeah I guess the weapon/armor situation isn’t bad save for the effects of the unified vault that the mods and shaders spill over into.

But holy poo poo the mod and shader situation. My theory is after being shell shocked at D1 release they had two priorities for D2 release: 1) put a shine on the game for the initial impression/review eyeballs and 2) monetization via eververse. With the release date crunch to keep from getting owned (literally) by Activision they didn’t even worry about making an endgame that kept you from wanting to stab yourself.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

So I gifted and was gifted this game. I liked the mindless, endless shooting of payday 2 and the coordination required for some of the harder heists, which would take 30-40 mins, so I think I will jive with the game. I'm assuming the raids fill the role of longer, tougher missions.

I only have one question, can you respec your characters? I see some talk of bullshit abilities and stuff and I don't want to start over a character because I made a bad decision. Apart from that any tips would be appreciated if it's not already in the OP, I haven't played destiny og

I'm assuming I just shoot guns and poo poo

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Penpal posted:

So I gifted and was gifted this game. I liked the mindless, endless shooting of payday 2 and the coordination required for some of the harder heists, which would take 30-40 mins, so I think I will jive with the game. I'm assuming the raids fill the role of longer, tougher missions.

I only have one question, can you respec your characters? I see some talk of bullshit abilities and stuff and I don't want to start over a character because I made a bad decision. Apart from that any tips would be appreciated if it's not already in the OP, I haven't played destiny og

I'm assuming I just shoot guns and poo poo

You eventually unlock everything. The only thing that distinguishes characters is what build and gear they're using at that moment. If you're just starting, just do the story campaign.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You can freely switch your class whenever you want except during the harder missions and you get enough skill points for everything and they pathed all the skills to not be traps anymore

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Mobius quiver still sucks poo poo

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Jack B Nimble posted:

"Technical" == "God damnit I have a million other things to program this is the least of my problems right now"

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Firebert posted:

Mobius quiver still sucks poo poo

I don't have Orpheus Rig yet but I still haven't taken that in case I ever do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
The game is 80% inventory management, mostly done outside of the game. Then about 2% PvP, 8% PvE and 10% commuting.

• Locked thread