Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

iospace posted:

Yeah, modern consumer PC tech is plateauing hard and Moore's Law is about ready to break down. Threadripper is cool and showing that there's still improvement to be made on the multi-thread/core standpoint on the hardware side, but single core performance is reaching the point where it's nearly fully optimized. Monitor and TV makers are trying to push 8k now (despite the fact that no one can really notice the difference between it and 4k), but 1080p is still suitable for most people and 4k is still a bit too pricy for most people. I know most modern GPUs can put out 120 FPS at 1080p with a demanding game, and I'm pretty sure 60+ at 4k is possible now as well.

Quantum computing is a ways off from being feasible from even an prototype standpoint, let alone consumer.

If you can't make a game that's optimized for this day and age of the tech plateau, then I don't know what to tell you.

Monitor manufacturers are still working on 120Hz 4k monitors but they should be coming sometime soon. The only one I know of that you can get now is actually a DIY kit with no back panel so the PCBs are exposed.

Here's a Linus Tech Tips video from September showing it off

He had to use 2 displayport 1.2 cables because one can't handle the bandwidth needed for 4k 120Hz and one of the exposed PCBs got damaged in shipping so there's a lot of flickering and color problems but it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

CrazyLoon posted:

An alpha game for alpha males.

so when the game hits beta.................................

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

The funny part about computer gaming in general is that as things got prettier, the scopes shrank.

I've noticed this over the decades, and oft wondered if its an artifact of art being unable to keep pace with engineering, or eating all of the budget.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Just popping in to say happy xmas commandos!
*jitters off wearing a paper crown hat*

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Incitatus posted:

so when the game hits beta.................................

Backers will feel cheated.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

CrazyLoon posted:

A pre-alpha game for pre-alpha males.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

iospace posted:

Yeah, modern consumer PC tech is plateauing hard and Moore's Law is about ready to break down. Threadripper is cool and showing that there's still improvement to be made on the multi-thread/core standpoint on the hardware side, but single core performance is reaching the point where it's nearly fully optimized. Monitor and TV makers are trying to push 8k now (despite the fact that no one can really notice the difference between it and 4k), but 1080p is still suitable for most people and 4k is still a bit too pricy for most people. I know most modern GPUs can put out 120 FPS at 1080p with a demanding game, and I'm pretty sure 60+ at 4k is possible now as well.

Quantum computing is a ways off from being feasible from even an prototype standpoint, let alone consumer.

If you can't make a game that's optimized for this day and age of the tech plateau, then I don't know what to tell you.

Roberts mentioned Moores law itself as one of the founding pillars of star citizen development and used it as an excuse for the performance nightmare in previous patches ("we Code for future hardware")

Intel already dropped Moores law orientation in its Roadmaps by early 2016 after continued problems to get 10 nanometer architectures to work in mass production.

Traditional FET design processors end at about 3nm anyway as you get into quantum tunneling at that point so there's 1, maybe 2 iterations left after 10nm before FET processors reach saturation and you can only go higher count by sizing up the die.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

iospace posted:

Yeah, this is really interesting, and warms my bitter old programmer heart. There are such massive gains to be had from proper optimization, that I think most non-programmers and even many less skilled/experienced programmers, would be surprised if they knew the full extent of the gunk running on their hardware.

The rapid advances in hardware have allowed software developers to get away with terrible code that would have been a no-go in the previous millenium. A good example are the chromium-powered applications popular these days: Hacked together javascript code running in a bloated browser/VM running on top of an equally bloated OS. And with crappy and/or bloated libraries sprinkled across every single layer. Games are less guilty of this, but there's still a lot of potential for improvements based purely on writing better code and wasting fewer clock cycles on stupid overhead and redundancy.

I think there's a good chance the next killer game engine will not be one which pushes the boundaries of render technology and fidelity. Instead we could be looking at one with a lean, mean and rock-solid core that allows it to trash the performance of other engines, even when dealing with massive scenes, large numbers of objects, etc. The current generation of engines (Unity3D, Unreal, CryEngine/LY, Frostbyte, etc.) are all mired in technical debt, gunky code and backwards compatibility.

Even if Star Citizen had the best technical and managerial leadership in the world, it still could not achieve what they want with the current generation of engines. The ambition and scale they boast so much about does not "merely" require skillfully adapting current technology. It requires a paradigm shift applied to an entirely new engine.

Nevertheless, with the massive budget they had, there was a chance to make the best of the engine they were contractually obligated to use. This would involve doing the proper analysis and protoworking. Working out what the challenges were, taking the time and effort to decide where to compromise, where to develop entirely new technology and where to experiment. And not actively building a playable game while doing this.

Instead they've simply layered every single thing on top of the existing systems. I am hard pressed to see an instance of actual innovation and novel development. Everything is CryEngine hammered into shape until it fits or breaks - and then duct-taped or covered up, if it broke. I am baffled by this approach. Why didn't they build actual server technology? Why is there no custom network protocol? Why didn't they build a custom system to handle scalability of physics? Every single issue they're having to solve now just to make 3.0 playable, could've addressed at the beginning of the project. Even with the vague and ever-expanding scope, they knew they were build an MMO with spaceships.

I wasn't along for this bizarro ride early on, as I took one look at the original pitch, was tempted but then remembered how difficult it is to build a space MMO, and decided to keep my wallet closed until they had more to show and I was confident this was not going to be a shallow pay-to-win game. But can someone who was a backer and fan back then comment on why early development took this weird path of refusing to make any new technology, and instead simply pretend CryEngine could be hammered into an MMO engine?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/6MCsa57.gifv

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

PederP posted:

Coding efficiency.

I started programming back when whiz bang coding tricks, carefully crafting your C++, and inserting asm segments, could make or break your programming superstar reputation.

Now, just do it in C#, or script it. Minecraft was made in Java, for gently caress's sake. It's a more widely marketable employment skill to be able to do those things, than be the niche weirdo who can fine tune loops of assembly.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Bootcha posted:

Let's try this again, Merry Christmas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU3uEBUBIEA

:sotw::parrot:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I’m still loling at tonk

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Just asking for my own curiosity. Why are high end monitors focusing on specifically 144hz? I understand the 60hz standard for framerate, and electricity distribution, because it's dividable by 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 15, 20, 30 (fyi, the countries that went with 50hz hosed up). Why 144?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Dusty Lens posted:

So long and tanks for all the cash.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

XK posted:

Just asking for my own curiosity. Why are high end monitors focusing on specifically 144hz? I understand the 60hz standard for framerate, and electricity distribution, because it's dividable by 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 15, 20, 30 (fyi, the countries that went with 50hz hosed up). Why 144?

24hz x 6.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Merry Christmas one and all

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's so weird that 120, 144 and 240 all play movies correctly.

But the ubiquitous standard just doesn't.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Yes, but it's bad for 30, 50, 60hz content.

It's less of an issue with stuff like g-sync, where the monitor will automatically adjust its refresh to the content. 144 just seems arbitrary to me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah but it's literally the next 24hz step and that's why they've done it. Because 24hz is "cinematic".

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Galarox posted:

:five::five::five:

Never not Galarox

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

XK posted:

Yes, but it's bad for 30, 50, 60hz content.

It's less of an issue with stuff like g-sync, where the monitor will automatically adjust its refresh to the content. 144 just seems arbitrary to me.

There shouldn't be a whole lot of locked 30/50/60 content for PCs outside of poo poo ports

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 25, 2017

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

XK posted:

I started programming back when whiz bang coding tricks, carefully crafting your C++, and inserting asm segments, could make or break your programming superstar reputation.

Now, just do it in C#, or script it. Minecraft was made in Java, for gently caress's sake. It's a more widely marketable employment skill to be able to do those things, than be the niche weirdo who can fine tune loops of assembly.

Yeah, but my point is that we're reaching that point where the free ride is over, and the ever-increasing hackery has to come to an end. I am not suggesting that we'll be going back to optimization style of the C/C++ era. Just that the blatant disregard for performance, insane magpie mentality of cobbling together libraries, and other bad habits will hopefully be coming to an end. There is so much untapped potential in the current hardware, and unlocking it requires somewhat of a paradigm shift, not just in coding practices but in development methodologies as well. I'll resist the temptation to veer off into a longer rant, but I think Star Citizen is a prime example of why money, ambition and agile bravago simply can't cut it, if the foundation is poo poo and the engineering discipline simply isn't in place.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Incitatus posted:

My post to counter the non-goon post.

gently caress you devs. Don't be a dirty leaver. Fuckface.

Congrats on being an even worse noise poster than I am

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Cao Ni Ma posted:

There shouldn't be a whole lot of locked 30/50/60 content for PCs outside of poo poo ports

I was referring more to stuff like recorded video, where it was created for PAL or NTSC.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Galarox posted:

give me the loving jpegs you cock sucker

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Scruffpuff posted:

Star Citizen is #2

new thread title

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo you forgot to check your stocking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hPxnBAdbbo

XK
Jul 9, 2001

PederP posted:

Yeah, but my point is that we're reaching that point where the free ride is over, and the ever-increasing hackery has to come to an end. I am not suggesting that we'll be going back to optimization style of the C/C++ era. Just that the blatant disregard for performance, insane magpie mentality of cobbling together libraries, and other bad habits will hopefully be coming to an end. There is so much untapped potential in the current hardware, and unlocking it requires somewhat of a paradigm shift, not just in coding practices but in development methodologies as well. I'll resist the temptation to veer off into a longer rant, but I think Star Citizen is a prime example of why money, ambition and agile bravago simply can't cut it, if the foundation is poo poo and the engineering discipline simply isn't in place.

I totally agree with you. I'd like to see coding efficiency become a thing again. We've had a decade+ of just slamming poo poo together because the hardware keeps getting faster. Now that's hitting a wall, symmetric processing is the way forward, and if you can't write efficient code, your multi-threaded performance is going to be a nightmare. Hence Star Citizen blowing out a single core at 100% utilization, while everything chugs.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Bootcha posted:

Thank You, Goon blessings

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

CrazyLoon posted:

An alpha game for alpha males.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Slow_Moe posted:

Just to add a little to your argument, which is absolutely right btw.

Another cryengine game i've played recently, Prey, run on my gtx970, with most options cranked up to max, at between 120 and 130 fps.

It looks as good, if not better than Star Citizen. Compare that to the 20ish fps people get with a gtx1080.

Star Citizen is not optimized AT ALL. Throw in all the physics bugs and spinlocks and it all goes to poo poo. Throw in all of crobbers obsession of fidelity, what with the hirez textures, the absurd amounts of polygons, and the lack of commonly used rendering techniques like normal mapping (because that would be cheating), and it all goes from "just poo poo" to "ho lee poo poo"

I'm sorry, that came off as rambling. :shrug:

And Prey is considered a game that's not particularly well optimised.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bootcha posted:

hope you like ur injuction

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Kilmers Elbow posted:

give me the loving jpegs you cock sucker

:five:

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Bootcha posted:

:five:

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Bootcha posted:

Truly a parpmass miracle!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Galarox posted:

:lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz: :sandance: :sandance: :sandance:

GunChat just now made me realize that I might be a better shot if I had ever shot left-handed. I golf left and bat left, but I write with my right so it never occurred to me to shoot left. Will experiment at some point in the future!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Bootcha posted:

Dang. This is going to be good.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Meanwhile over at FDdev, MTBFritz has written another one of his epic efforts posts

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bootcha posted:

:f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Hand movement at a 3, I'm going to need you to take it up to a 10.