Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I mean, we've been asking for more good trek for years, and we got Enterprise and Discovery. And The reboot series. And Nemesis. And Insurrection.

So when the Orville just does the same poo poo that we actually liked, it's a breath of fresh air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Aleph Null posted:

Oh thank God that they don't use the hand-held, mockumentary camera thing on The Orville.

Although it is weird that people who liked TOS and TNG 30 years ago actually find The Orville fresh and new even though it is just the same old thing. I guess we just like what we like. And that's why we don't get paid the big bucks (lol) to tell people what they should be watching.

It may be an old thing, but at the same time its fresh to see a sci fi show again, finally, where the best scene of an episode won't be the epic space battle fire fight, but people in a conference room arguing about the ethics of sentient screw drivers. That formula might be old, but it hasn't been done in a while, and the real fun came from the new ideas and stories told each week being handled in such a way.

The Orville is old packaging, hopefully with some new contents in it as it goes on, but considering we haven't even seen that box in like, 15 years its a breath of fresh air. If no one had made a police procedural show in 20 years, it would probably be real exciting to finally see a new police procedural after all that time.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
I think one of the things keeping it fresh too is the more natural and casual dialog between the characters. We never got that in Trek, because everyone was some sort of hyper-evolved 24th century mature professional. Now we get characters who crack stupid jokes, have interpersonal drama, play pranks on each other, and aren't the best in the fleet. It makes them feel more real, and it's an interesting way to mix up the Trek formula.

But I can't understate how nice it is to have an episodic, optimistic sci-fi show among all of the dark, gritty, cynical, epic shows that are so popular now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tom Guycot posted:

The Orville is old packaging, hopefully with some new contents in it as it goes on, but considering we haven't even seen that box in like, 15 years its a breath of fresh air. If no one had made a police procedural show in 20 years, it would probably be real exciting to finally see a new police procedural after all that time.

TBH if they brought back the non SVU Law and Orders I would be pretty excited.

And maybe CSI:NY since that show got shafted in it's last season.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
It would be awesome if someone gave Other Space another chance now that this show proved that folks like off brand Star Trek with (occasional) jokes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GuyGizmo posted:

I think one of the things keeping it fresh too is the more natural and casual dialog between the characters. We never got that in Trek, because everyone was some sort of hyper-evolved 24th century mature professional. Now we get characters who crack stupid jokes, have interpersonal drama, play pranks on each other, and aren't the best in the fleet. It makes them feel more real, and it's an interesting way to mix up the Trek formula.

But I can't understate how nice it is to have an episodic, optimistic sci-fi show among all of the dark, gritty, cynical, epic shows that are so popular now.

DS9 was way better for this than TNG, we got to see the crew socializing and gossiping and generally just being people a lot more.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

All I need is a cozy living room full of friends with a big TV that shows the galaxy

I wish they'd gone full-on with the design sketches from TNG that had like couches and cafe tables in front of the viewscreen. Make it like a loft apartment for the bridge crew.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

This explains so much.

https://youtu.be/sn_Sgcxg5PQ

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nice lens flare at 1:15.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

GuyGizmo posted:

Did you not watch DS9 Obrien/Bashier were pretty much normal dudes hanging out for quite a while.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Julian was a genetic freak; the Scott Steiner of his day.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention

socialsecurity posted:

Did you not watch DS9 Obrien/Bashier were pretty much normal dudes hanging out for quite a while.

Yup, I watched it all, and DS9 did add elements to the characters that TNG was lacking, particularly with the non-Starfleet characters like Quark and Garak.

However, both O'Brien and Bashir were still among the absolutely best in their fields in Starfleet, and more to the point they (as well as the other Starfleet characters) still talked in a way that was recognizably the same kind of voice that started with TNG, which is to say generally professional, and not really like ordinary people today. Same is true with Voyager and Enterprise. It was Star Trek's particular take on how dramatic TV speech should sound. The Orville is obviously a departure from that. The mannerisms of most of its characters would seem awkwardly out of place in a Trek show.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'd imagine a good quarter of the average everyday Orville social interactions would end with a filed complaint on the Enterprise.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think at least three characters have had formal reprimands added to their file (though one was undone by time fuckery)

Edit: Four, I forgot the captain himself got chewed out for failing to put a first contact protocol breach in a report about his ex-wife

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Oh my goodness this is amazing.

The Orville is literally his childhood dream coming to life. You don't usually get photographic proof of that.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

That's legit better than a lot of fan films I've seen.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hipster_Doofus posted:

That's legit better than a lot of fan films I've seen.

That's surprisingly well acted.

Elmerus Juniorus
Aug 17, 2014

Aleph Null posted:

It's interesting to see the number of best / worst TV of 2017 lists that have The Orville among the worst, because, inevitably, there are more comments defending it than any other critically maligned show. I still don't understand why critics, whose job it is to watch TV shows and judge them, cannot understand why The Orville is actually a good show. Not perfect, no; but good.

Has more to do with their personal feelings towards MacFARLANE. Guy I work with would love the show but just cannot get past the "Seth MacFARLANE made it therefore it is racist and BAD" stage

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Can I just butt in here with my hot take on how bad Seth McFarlane is and how cool and refined I am? Well, it's all true, thanks for reading!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

You can hear bits and pieces of early voice acting talent there--a few of his lines sound kinda like Shatner on a bad day

I want to go back in time and make him shave better though

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I want to go back in time and make him shave better though

Well, teenagers are gonna teenage.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
I've been looking for a 3D model of the Orville to print out as a desktop caddy, to no avail. People ARE modelling it, but so far they aren't sharing their files or want to charge for them.

Has anyone stumbled across anything yet that I've missed? I really don't want or need anything suuuuper special or detailed. I just wanted an Orville to vroom vroom around while I'm working and the quest to find one has become annoying. I know it's going to become available out there eventually. I'm actually surprised there haven't been any popping up on sites like Thingiverse yet. I've seen the badges and props but no attempt at ships.

Meanwhile, as a side effect of my search if I ever want to print a fleet of Star Trek ships I have 'em all bookmarked now. People have cranked out so many varieties of them it's mentally overwhelming! :D

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tom Guycot posted:

Oh my goodness this is amazing.

The Orville is literally his childhood dream coming to life. You don't usually get photographic proof of that.

He is basically the American/Star Trek version of David Tennant or Peter Capaldi. :allears:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Except in this case it turned out good.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I love this show so much. It’s TNG only a few steps more towards comedy than serious drama. It’s got the exact same feel though. I like how they do explore some really interesting ideas and topics that I find myself thinking about afterwards, a lot like I did with TNG.

Also lol at one of the biggest divides on tv between critic and viewer reviews.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Pawn 17 posted:

I love this show so much. It’s TNG only a few steps more towards comedy than serious drama. It’s got the exact same feel though. I like how they do explore some really interesting ideas and topics that I find myself thinking about afterwards, a lot like I did with TNG.

Also lol at one of the biggest divides on tv between critic and viewer reviews.

I think that critics may think people want to be offended about stuff? Like, there's a trend. Bright is also getting panned by critics but has great Rotten Tomato audience scores.

Bright is pretty good, IMO. Like a Shadowrun set in 2017. No cyberpunk (yet) but all the The dystopia and corruption and metahumans are there. Elves are trash, as always, so it's okay by me. Orc music is likewise the best so nobody listens to it and there's none on the soundtrack.

Sorry about the slight derail, I just don't know what it is about critics. Perhaps their hold on their jobs is super tenuous and they need to generate the dreaded clicks.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

evilmiera posted:

Unfortunately the people involved in making it send up a lot of red flags. We shall see tho.

It was a decent buddy cop movie that happens to take place in a semi-fantasy world.

At the same time Landis decided to call his company "Trigger Warning Entertainment" and the movie does feel like it veers into "gently caress your feelings, libruls" at times with its "social commentary." This is in addition to all the nasty crap Landis has done his entire career coming back to bite him finally.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mokinokaro posted:

It was a decent buddy cop movie that happens to take place in a semi-fantasy world.

At the same time Landis decided to call his company "Trigger Warning Entertainment" and the movie does feel like it veers into "gently caress your feelings, libruls" at times with its "social commentary." This is in addition to all the nasty crap Landis has done his entire career coming back to bite him finally.

I am a sensitive liberal and I really enjoyed Bright. Shame that Max Landis is behind it. Netflix has already ordered a sequel.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

"Somebody put that that out!"
"What happened to automatic fire suppression?"
"that's the panel that caught fire!"

still the best

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

"open a hailing channel"
"attention Krill ship, this is the USS --"
"oh, I haven't done it yet... okay you're on."

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
Gordon trying to teach Isaac about being human and having it backfire each time are still the best gags.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"Entering the glory hole."

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Are we bonding?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ramen Pride! posted:

I've been looking for a 3D model of the Orville to print out as a desktop caddy, to no avail. People ARE modelling it, but so far they aren't sharing their files or want to charge for them.

Has anyone stumbled across anything yet that I've missed? I really don't want or need anything suuuuper special or detailed. I just wanted an Orville to vroom vroom around while I'm working and the quest to find one has become annoying. I know it's going to become available out there eventually. I'm actually surprised there haven't been any popping up on sites like Thingiverse yet. I've seen the badges and props but no attempt at ships.

Meanwhile, as a side effect of my search if I ever want to print a fleet of Star Trek ships I have 'em all bookmarked now. People have cranked out so many varieties of them it's mentally overwhelming! :D

This is probably of no use because of the way it was made, but I was playing around with a VR sculpting program and decided to try my hand at making the orville. I traced the cross section images so at least that should all be in the correct proportions, but the curves... my god the curves on this god drat ship were a nightmare trying to sculpt. It was like trying to make a model of an M.C. Escher drawing, like it didn't seem bad at first glance but trying to go into details was really a nightmare at points.

I might go back at some point and try to clean it up, smooth it out and everything, but it was more of a doodle than some big project. Still, if anyone does want a lumpy model of the orville, you can download it:
https://sketchfab.com/models/41de2cbd1ae14343af53ca24f667fac2

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Play-D'Orville

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Thern posted:

Gordon trying to teach Isaac about being human and having it backfire each time are still the best gags.

I thought this was a bit too obvious.

Now it's actually on here in the UK and people are talking about it a bit more and most people's responses to it have been how bad the humour is. I'm glad he's cutting it down.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Do tons of screengrabs from varying angles and run that through some photogrammetry app like PhotoScan or whatever. Maybe that results in a reasonable model.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Taear posted:

I thought this was a bit too obvious.

Now it's actually on here in the UK and people are talking about it a bit more and most people's responses to it have been how bad the humour is. I'm glad he's cutting it down.

You're wrong. The humor is exactly where it needs to be. The leg prank was amazing, Bortus' one liners are amazing, the show is amazing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I will not fail you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the uk just got the first episode so they're still in the "oh god a divorce comedy in space" stage of misunderstanding