Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

John Murdoch posted:

The Crew, maybe?

If you're really desperate you could always grab one of a dozen open world games and just drive around taking in the scenery.

Thanks for this suggestion. Scooped this up in the steam holiday sale and it's scratching that itch for sure.

To the other person who suggested Euro Truck simulator, I'll keep that in mind if/when I get bored of The Crew! :)

Unrelated:
I grabbed Hacknet on sale too, and it is a fantastic immersive game about hacking (shocker). It just kind of throws you out there with some emails and a sweet interface where you're expected to use console commands and stuff. You can choose stuff from the menu with the mouse if you want, but I think most of the commands have to be entered via keyboard. Not 100% sure if you can only use mouse, since I went all in and typed like it was 1991! The game gobbled up almost my whole evening, I was just following cryptic instructions via email from someone who died apparently and there is some shady poo poo going on! Definitely worth the 4 bux or whatever it's on sale for if that sounds like it's your jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Seconding Hacknet. It's really fun. If you liked Uplink but wanted something that felt a little less like a retro hacker film simulator it's a good choice.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The thing that made Uplink sing though was its use of a mouse driven interface, rather than command line. Really wish something could hit those notes again.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Any games with good mysteries? I'm looking for things that involve whodunnits or just investigating cases. Genre isn't as important as the theme, since I've liked games with "mystery/crime" themes regardless. I've played Ace Attorney, Deadly Premonition, Planescape Torment, LA Noire, Murdered Soul Suspect, Wolf Among Us, Heavy Rain, Her Story, Alan Wake...basically anything with a big reveal/mystery type situation. Any ideas?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Capsaicin posted:

Any games with good mysteries? I'm looking for things that involve whodunnits or just investigating cases. Genre isn't as important as the theme, since I've liked games with "mystery/crime" themes regardless. I've played Ace Attorney, Deadly Premonition, Planescape Torment, LA Noire, Murdered Soul Suspect, Wolf Among Us, Heavy Rain, Her Story, Alan Wake...basically anything with a big reveal/mystery type situation. Any ideas?

Umineko no naku koro ni. It's a visual novel so it doesn't have gameplay as such but it's a really good mystery and you're very much intended to think about and solve it yourself.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

Does the "basically anything" include Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective and/or Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Really Pants posted:

Does the "basically anything" include Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective and/or Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments?

Ghost Trick is super rad and I've been told to check out Sherlock Holmes. Only one I own is vs. Jack The Ripper.

I should say that I have access to PC, XB1, PS4, Vita, 3DS for recent systems.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack the Ripper was pretty good, but Crimes and Punishments is the best Sherlock Holmes game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Contradiction is a fun FMV mystery game set in a small English village. The gameplay revolves and finding clues and spotting inconsistencies in what suspects / witnesses say.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Looking for something mildly competitive for our Discord server; either a truly real-time game like Neptune's Pride (but not actually NP, that game destroys friendships) or something that can be worked into a casual/fun/funny round-robin sort of thing, like Blood Bowl or Clash Royale - something with either a high degree of randomness or a high degree of skill required, that we can collectively suck at and have fun doing it.

Ideally it would be phone-based, but pc can work too; as long as it's free or relatively cheap, or can be gotten for free. Thanks

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Contradiction is a fun FMV mystery game set in a small English village. The gameplay revolves and finding clues and spotting inconsistencies in what suspects / witnesses say.

Contradiction is charming as all hell. It's a little rough, but it feels like a labor of love.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Is there a good game for learning geography? Perhaps something where you identify countries/capitals on a map, or have to construct a map out of different countries (perhaps also needing to resize/rotate countries). Preferably something that starts quite easy and then ramp up in difficulty as you go along.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Capsaicin posted:

I'm looking for something similar to this but specifically a game like Alien Legacy where a mystery is revealed that changes the game fundamentally.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
My question has evolved a bit; everyone is interested in a game that you can customise a team or an individual to be AI controlled and put into an AI only tournament; digital cock-fighting, essentially.

We looked at FIFA games but it seems like all (most?) of them limit you to switching players around between existing teams, which is simultaneously too much fiddling and not enough personalisation. It doesn't have to be a full tournament in-game, just as long as we can organise individual representatives for each human and have them duke it out by proxy, 1v1 preferred.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ovenboy posted:

Is there a good game for learning geography? Perhaps something where you identify countries/capitals on a map, or have to construct a map out of different countries (perhaps also needing to resize/rotate countries). Preferably something that starts quite easy and then ramp up in difficulty as you go along.

Carmen Sandiego? I don't think any of those were ever easy, though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Konig posted:

My question has evolved a bit; everyone is interested in a game that you can customise a team or an individual to be AI controlled and put into an AI only tournament; digital cock-fighting, essentially.

We looked at FIFA games but it seems like all (most?) of them limit you to switching players around between existing teams, which is simultaneously too much fiddling and not enough personalisation. It doesn't have to be a full tournament in-game, just as long as we can organise individual representatives for each human and have them duke it out by proxy, 1v1 preferred.

Fire Pro Wrestling or WWE.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Wasn't there a ftp bloodbowl game like that?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Normy posted:

I'm looking for something similar to this but specifically a game like Alien Legacy where a mystery is revealed that changes the game fundamentally.

I would actually put The Witness as having something like that.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I got a preowned Wii U for Breath of the Wild a while back, and I loved it. Now I'm looking for some other things, but all the really interesting looking things I know about are first party games. I'm interested in some third party Wii U recommendations because apart from The Wonderful 101 I don't know what to look for.

Meldonox posted:

Seconding Hacknet. It's really fun. If you liked Uplink but wanted something that felt a little less like a retro hacker film simulator it's a good choice.

Thirding this. The main and DLC campaigns are fun and the game has Steam Workshop support for custom campaigns. The finalists from their recent contest are pretty substantial from what I've played, so you get a lot of hacking for your buck.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dr Snofeld posted:

I got a preowned Wii U for Breath of the Wild a while back, and I loved it. Now I'm looking for some other things, but all the really interesting looking things I know about are first party games. I'm interested in some third party Wii U recommendations because apart from The Wonderful 101 I don't know what to look for.

Bayonetta 2

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Capsaicin posted:

Until Dawn?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Konig posted:

It's an old example and I have no idea how difficult it is to set up, but the FFT romhacking people have been doing this for quite a few years now. It uses the 1.3 romhack mechanics/AI, so there's lots of reviving dead units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZrtdhNXA_g

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What good PC or Nintendo games are out there that get into mythological settings that aren't ancient Greek? No offense to God of War et al. but I feel like that setting gets used a lot. Also yes I've had both Titan Quest and Age of Mythology sitting on my Steam account for a while now (which draw from several different cultural settings), I should probably just play those instead of buying something new.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Is Torment Tides of Numenera actually good, even if I don't mind the combat apparently disappearing halfway through the game?
Even if I don't want to play as a 'nano' (mage type)?

I played Tyranny and enjoyed that. I played Pillars of Eternity and finally beat that and enjoyed it, partially after being overlevelled enough to stomp things into the ground. I'm currently making my way through Divinity Original Sin 2, which is a fun experience and grabbed me way more than DOS1 which was too tryhard-humorous and which I never made it out of Cyseal.

If I get though DOS2 I'm currently tossing up between Torment and going back to Neverwinter Nights 2. On the one hand, I know that NWN2 has an awkward initial campaign, but it's supposedly made up for by the great expansion. On the flipside, it is what it is, and tied to the DnD3.5 ruleset.

Torment could be fun instead to explore a new world, and I'd like to try the general rules and strategy it uses (even though I'm aware of its many many flaws) but I don't know if it's actually worth it or just kind of bleh after the start.

If it helps, my vote for 'best isometric RPGs' goes to the new Shadowrun games.

C-Euro posted:

What good PC or Nintendo games are out there that get into mythological settings that aren't ancient Greek? No offense to God of War et al. but I feel like that setting gets used a lot. Also yes I've had both Titan Quest and Age of Mythology sitting on my Steam account for a while now (which draw from several different cultural settings), I should probably just play those instead of buying something new.

Banner Saga is faux-viking. Honestly most games titled 'Viking' or 'Valhalla' or similar are actually pretty good.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 27, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Not wholly mythological, but does interact with mythos and culture: The Expeditions series. Conquistador as an outsider and Vikings as a member of the culture of interest. Assassins Creed Origins is great for that too, Ancient Egyptian there. Hellblade is kinda mythos adjacent and there is a plethora of titles drawing from Japanese mythology, but none really within it. Perhaps Okami may suit you?

And if you're tired of greek, don't play those. They're great games but Greek is primary in those so maybe after a palate cleanser or two.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Perhaps Okami may suit you?

Okami is great because the start is pretty slow and handholdy but then it builds up to a final-dungeon feel and a satisfying endboss after 20ish hours and everyone's happy and then Issun is all "Hey that's cool but you only have like half your powers right?"
SURPRISE you're only a third of the way into the game you have an enormous amount of content left to go!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

And if you're tired of greek, don't play those. They're great games but Greek is primary in those so maybe after a palate cleanser or two.

Eh, it's less that I'm sick of Greek mythology and more that I'm sitting here trying to think of prolific games with mythological trappings and I feel like the vast majority of them are Greek.

What I really want is a God of War-style game in an Eastern mythology setting but I doubt I'll ever see it :( Think Asura's Wrath but with deeper gameplay.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Jade Empire is a little old, but a solid Bioware title set in ancient mystical China.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't play RTS games anymore because all I want to do is turtle.
Is there a game that is all about building a base and defending it?

I've hear They Are Billions is pretty okay.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I bought They Are Billions, played it for a bit and happened to close it out at exactly 119 minutes. I chose to refund it. It's a fine enough game but by design if something starts to go wrong it snowballs out of control. Structures die to even single zombies rather quickly and when a zombie kills a structure, it spawns a bunch more zombies that then attack the adjacent structures and within the span of maybe 15 seconds a single zombie slipping past your defenses has zombified half of your colony with no hope of recovery.

That being said, it's definitely a turtle-y RTS and I enjoyed it when I wasn't getting wiped out before I even realized I was under attack.

I bought Rise to Ruins instead which is a very similar style of game with the complexity ramped up to 10 and an overwhelming UI. I'm having fun with it but I'm not too far in. If that sounds fun to you, it's only $5 right now

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 27, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ah, I'm actually hoping for something less complex.

I'm looking for what Fallout 4 settlements promised but never delivered.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Ah, I'm actually hoping for something less complex.

I'm looking for what Fallout 4 settlements promised but never delivered.

You may want to check out 7 Days to Die. It's basically very in depth Minecraft with zombies that attack your base at night. It is highly recommended by goons and pubbies alike.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
My favorite game ever is S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl and I crave a game that can give me some of the same feels, but the only way I can play electronic games right now is on an Xbox One S. Is there anything that will get me there? 360 games that play on One are fine, too. Obvious choice seems like Fallout 4, but Fallout 3 and Skyrim both end up feeling "overstuffed" to me in comparison to my beloved Stalker, both in terms of game mechanics and the supposedly huge, empty worlds having stuff too close together.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You may want to check out 7 Days to Die. It's basically very in depth Minecraft with zombies that attack your base at night. It is highly recommended by goons and pubbies alike.

Really?
Turns out I own it but I never tried because it seemed like a lovely cash-in. Can you play solo effectively or is it more like Rust and Ark?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

My favorite game ever is S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl and I crave a game that can give me some of the same feels, but the only way I can play electronic games right now is on an Xbox One S. Is there anything that will get me there? 360 games that play on One are fine, too. Obvious choice seems like Fallout 4, but Fallout 3 and Skyrim both end up feeling "overstuffed" to me in comparison to my beloved Stalker, both in terms of game mechanics and the supposedly huge, empty worlds having stuff too close together.
The Metro games might be worth a look. They are far more linear than STALKER but have a similar atmosphere.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
When it comes to stalking around the wilderness, dismantling an outpost with fun guns, and then being mauled by a wild animal there's always the modern Farcry games. They're more tropical/exotic than dingy and oppressive in terms of atmosphere, however.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Yeah I just found Metro Exodus while trying to google my way to an answer. It looks like it's practically identical settingwise, though hard to tell if the gameplay will scratch the same itch. It looks like it might be a little more amped up than I can deal with. The thing I love about Stalker is walking for a half hour IRL time, maybe encountering almost nothing, maybe a big fuckoff ambush. It's chill and tense at the same time.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Inzombiac posted:

Really?
Turns out I own it but I never tried because it seemed like a lovely cash-in. Can you play solo effectively or is it more like Rust and Ark?

*explodes out of the wall*

7 Days To Die is just the best, the ur-evolution of Minecraft-likes. It's a hair dry to play singleplayer but no moreso than Minecraft, similarly it gains a lot of value from cooperation with your friends in building a solid concrete fortress with turrets (both 'castle' and 'automatic shotgun' flavors), drawbridges, lights, what have you. Unlike purely-creative build types like MC, in 7DTD everything is destructible and the zombies are persistent-- they will get through any wall given enough time. (But careful design and upkeep means your fort can last a long time!)

You can look through my post history to see me never fuckin shut up about it. Long story short: game owns

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Evilreaver posted:

*explodes out of the wall*

7 Days To Die is just the best, the ur-evolution of Minecraft-likes. It's a hair dry to play singleplayer but no moreso than Minecraft, similarly it gains a lot of value from cooperation with your friends in building a solid concrete fortress with turrets (both 'castle' and 'automatic shotgun' flavors), drawbridges, lights, what have you. Unlike purely-creative build types like MC, in 7DTD everything is destructible and the zombies are persistent-- they will get through any wall given enough time. (But careful design and upkeep means your fort can last a long time!)

You can look through my post history to see me never fuckin shut up about it. Long story short: game owns

Sold! Thanks. Having auto turrets is my FAVORITE.
I don't care if they only shoot pointy stick, I just love passive fighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Sold! Thanks. Having auto turrets is my FAVORITE.
I don't care if they only shoot pointy stick, I just love passive fighting

Yeah I think it is going to be exactly what you're looking for tbh