Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Also I have a question about Leftheria that I didn't really understand:
The game says it's a bunch of jellyfish titans spinning around a much larger titan hidden in the cloud wall. But as far as I can tell we never see that titan? Or was that big titan supposed to be Fonsett itself? Because between the "We need someone from Leftheria to open this seal" from the intro and then "giant vertical cloud sea anomaly hiding a giant titan", I figured something was gonna be there, and yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gravy Jones posted:

I am enjoying this video game, but for me almost every aspect of it is just not quite as good as XC1 (or no where near as good as XC1 in a couple of areas). I really enjoy the goofy tone and characters though. Only 10 hours or so in, so some of that may change, but at the moment a little disappointed. A lot of the quest/social/town type stuff seems a little incomplete and unpolished and there are a few areas where the interface just seems rushed and doesn't really fit with the level of presentation in the rest of the game. Having fun though, so will keep going.

I'm kind of the opposite; the side quests feel a lot less tedious/pointless and, while the field skill stuff is still kinda annoying, I prefer it to running around finding individual collectables. I also feel like the areas are generally a more reasonable size; big, but without quite as much empty space.

The main thing I liked more about 1 was the characters, though Zeke in this is pretty great. Rex is usually pretty lame, with what unique personality he has only really coming out whenever the topic of salvaging comes up (which is the only time he really gets a chance to shine and come off as an individual rather than just a "shounen protagonist" template). I think I enjoyed the broad strokes of 1's plot more as well, though there are some things about 2 I really like, like the general plot stuff surrounding blades (not referring to any big reveals or anything, but just the general premise).

I'm wondering if a lot of the comments about XC1 are just ignoring its more annoying aspects through the lens of nostalgia, or possibly were able to play it with the benefit of guides that don't really exist much for XC2 yet. A couple bad things are also more defined as "the absense of good"; for example the dumb poo poo involving limited overdrives or the rare blade gacha. If someone just plays normally, they'll still get plenty of rare blades on the right characters, but since they went through the trouble of making all these voiced side quests and heart 2 heart's for these blades it's a shame to miss out on that content.

MechaX posted:

I'm partly into Chapter 5, and man... I like the game, but there are so many parts where I'm just like "why would the devs even do this"

And I say this as I'm playing an entirely different game on an entirely different system waiting for one of Zenobia's merc missions to finish (and I drew her on the 4th party member too when she seems like she's more suited for Rex). And some of my other blades (like Perun) require me to do something in this new town, but then backtrack to old territory to fight weak monsters to fulfill her affinity.

I think that all the Blade stuff honestly should have been a mix between plot gifts and completing side quests, especially considering if you get unlucky in the RNG lottery and get a good blade on the wrong person, the main suggestion is "just throw it back in the lottery and start drawing again and hope for the best."

Yeah, making all the rare blades the rewards from side quests would have been much better, and it's not like they didn't already go through the trouble of giving them their own side quests after you acquire them (so it's not like something done for expedience). What's especially bizarre is the fact that the whole point of gacha games is to make money, but the devs aren't earning any money from this gacha. I could understand in a kind of hosed up way if they gave the option to pay for overdrives or legendary cores as a DLC, but as is it's just an annoying thing there for basically no reason.

edit: Ursula's side quest aside, the rare blade gacha is probably the only annoying thing about this game that actually bothers me. Stuff like the minimap bug (the one fixed in the patch) never bothered me much for whatever reason, but the drop rate is extremely small once you get down to the last 5-6 rare blades (and it just so happens the last 2 loving DPS blades for me are Zenobia and KOS-MOS!). Like, someone complained about party dialogue when chatting with NPCs with the star above their head, and something like that would never really bother me; I mean, the whole reason you're talking to them is just to hear what the NPC says. Even if it's a little goofy, I don't really give a poo poo if the party responses aren't that interesting or relevant.

MechaX posted:

I'm partly into Chapter 5, and man... I like the game, but there are so many parts where I'm just like "why would the devs even do this"

And I say this as I'm playing an entirely different game on an entirely different system waiting for one of Zenobia's merc missions to finish (and I drew her on the 4th party member too when she seems like she's more suited for Rex). And some of my other blades (like Perun) require me to do something in this new town, but then backtrack to old territory to fight weak monsters to fulfill her affinity.

I think that all the Blade stuff honestly should have been a mix between plot gifts and completing side quests, especially considering if you get unlucky in the RNG lottery and get a good blade on the wrong person, the main suggestion is "just throw it back in the lottery and start drawing again and hope for the best."

Yeah, switching out Nia pretty much always represents a strict downgrade and risk in big fights (though I think the risk can stay pretty small as long as another character is 2/3 healing blades). At least with Tora/Four there's a tradeoff of sorts since Four will be able to use three separate elements (that you can choose) much earlier in the game, and having a full elemental spread is a fairly big deal. Big endgame I imagine Tora is pretty much objectively superior, though I still prefer using Four just for the variety of blades.

edit: The whole thing with (chapter 7 spoilers)Nia being able to switch to a blade makes me especially wish there were a second healer character (or that Rex could remove Pyra/Mythra and become a full healer himself). I mean, they gave us 2 of every other role! While I'd probably get by okay with Rex having 2 Nia, another healer, and Pyra/Mythra (especially if I was controlling him), I just don't like the idea of not having a dedicated healer in case things go south at the wrong moment.

Pollyanna posted:

A lot of those went into Blade affinities, actually. A good chunk of them are outright "go kill X of Y monster" or "eat X pant".

I've found that it's usually easier and possibly quicker to just send blades on mercenary missions to fill most of their affinity charts.

There's one thing you gotta watch out for if you're doing this, especially if you're trying to fill commons' charts for weapon points. For whatever reason, the "Do X damage in one hit" and "Do X total damage" affinity nodes can't be filled by mercenary missions. Neither can the "Do X mercenary missions", though that's more understandable. I had a number of blades stuck with 1 or 2 nodes remaining and didn't know why until checking them.

TurnipFritter posted:

Also I have a question about Leftheria that I didn't really understand:
The game says it's a bunch of jellyfish titans spinning around a much larger titan hidden in the cloud wall. But as far as I can tell we never see that titan? Or was that big titan supposed to be Fonsett itself? Because between the "We need someone from Leftheria to open this seal" from the intro and then "giant vertical cloud sea anomaly hiding a giant titan", I figured something was gonna be there, and yet...

This will be answered later, I think. Or it may have been a Heart 2 Heart it was specifically mentioned in, not sure. If it's the Heart 2 Heart, I'm pretty sure it was in (location name, not a big spoiler but just in case)the end of Spirit Crucible Elpys.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 26, 2017

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The biggest problem with this game is the mercenary missions. I'm trying to grind Ursula's quest right now (which is apparently all I have to do?) and I am giving each mission the bare minimum of blades because otherwise I'd have to sit through their levelup screens. It really is a huge oversight that making missions take longer is the more desirable solution because of your UI.

Other than that, so many of the unique blades I've gotten essentially have the exact same structure to their sidequests. Foren and Electra's and Phoenix Girl who's name I forget and Agate all seem to have the exact same thing, talking to random people in each country and hoping your skill is high enough to actually continue. It's really obnoxious and boring when all they did was change what skill they each needed.

Also, sidequest structure in general can be pretty annoying. I'm glad they didn't really go for many collect x quests, but so many of them involve going to a place, killing something, going back, getting another objective to kill something else, and then getting the reward if you're lucky. I kind of dread turning quests in because I know they're going to ask for more.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Momomo posted:

The biggest problem with this game is the mercenary missions. I'm trying to grind Ursula's quest right now (which is apparently all I have to do?) and I am giving each mission the bare minimum of blades because otherwise I'd have to sit through their levelup screens. It really is a huge oversight that making missions take longer is the more desirable solution because of your UI.

Other than that, so many of the unique blades I've gotten essentially have the exact same structure to their sidequests. Foren and Electra's and Phoenix Girl who's name I forget and Agate all seem to have the exact same thing, talking to random people in each country and hoping your skill is high enough to actually continue. It's really obnoxious and boring when all they did was change what skill they each needed.

Also, sidequest structure in general can be pretty annoying. I'm glad they didn't really go for many collect x quests, but so many of them involve going to a place, killing something, going back, getting another objective to kill something else, and then getting the reward if you're lucky. I kind of dread turning quests in because I know they're going to ask for more.

Do not do Ursula’s quest

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Andrast posted:

Do not do Ursula’s quest

this is correct

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
In the postgame, leech tanking incidental damage is pretty easy with Avant-Garde medals--Rex and Tora's last blade are both pretty good at this. To tank the really big hits, you either need to be supremely spongey (read: Poppi Alpha with Ultimate Shield and 85+% block) or be abusing invincibility frames (Four's initial blade has a really good dodge move).

The problem is that both of those options aren't fully reliable--Tora will switch out of Alpha right when the boss is readying a tankbuster, and Four's AI doesn't know when to use its iframe art. So you either actually play as them or try to cover for them by using IV specials or Chain Attacks when you notice they're messing up.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

If you have a good setup you don't even need a dedicated healer anymore. I have one healer blade on Rex I can pull out in an emergency, but anchor shot potions are usually enough to keep the party alive (when they aren't spawning on the complete opposite side of a large enemy)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you're good at getting chain gauge, usually every healer has a full heal on the second round when used.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Questions I haven't been able to find answers for in the game so far:

-Is there a named NPC chart ala XC1 and XCX? I really enjoyed filling out the NPC maps and building affinity via quests. Seems like the named NPCs are around but don't need to be spoken with in general.
-Can you transfer Blades between party members or are they bound to a character for good when they're summoned? Curious if you can delete or dump duplicate blades.
-Do only active Blades in battle gain affinity or rank up field arts? How do you level up field arts? I'm missing out on a lot of chests that I know I'll never find again.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The "Do x damage in one hit" affinity chart spots can be accomplished during a Merc mission, they just have to have a weapon remotely capable of dealing that damage.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Question: Do rare blades maintain their trust/unlocked affinity/weapon chips if you dismiss them and redraw them?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Louisgod posted:

Questions I haven't been able to find answers for in the game so far:

-Is there a named NPC chart ala XC1 and XCX? I really enjoyed filling out the NPC maps and building affinity via quests. Seems like the named NPCs are around but don't need to be spoken with in general.
-Can you transfer Blades between party members or are they bound to a character for good when they're summoned? Curious if you can delete or dump duplicate blades.
-Do only active Blades in battle gain affinity or rank up field arts? How do you level up field arts? I'm missing out on a lot of chests that I know I'll never find again.

No NPC chart.
You can transfer Blades between party members using an Overdrive protocol, which are extremely rare, consumable items. Like, I found two in the entire game.

The affinity chart stuff counts as long as the Blade is currently engaged to a character unless otherwise noted. If you check their affinity charts, it should list the requirements for leveling up their field skills (the field skills are the ones on the right side of the chart, you can use L/R to switch between the levels to see what you need to do). If the requirement is listed as ???? that means you haven't gotten to the location where you can actually do it.

Also, if you check your quicktravel map, it marks the locations of field skill checks that you've encountered.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 26, 2017

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Is there a quickest way to get the ingredients for merc level 2? Like are there just two gathering points I can run back and forth between for 30 minutes and get what I need?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Good Citizen posted:

Is there a quickest way to get the ingredients for merc level 2? Like are there just two gathering points I can run back and forth between for 30 minutes and get what I need?

after you get like 1/4 of the way through the bar, you'll be offered a sidequest that will fill it the rest of the way iirc.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
How many chapters are there anyways?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

PJOmega posted:

How many chapters are there anyways?

There are _ten_

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Holy poo poo the fixed minimap button is the greatest patch in the history of gaming

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I asked the same thing like 80 times. Gotta go to the Gates of Ulcaria skip travel spot. There will be a place nearby you can use ice mastery to make a bridge to another island that if you climb all the way to the top you get a secret location and the Airborne Throne skip travel spot. On that island is an ice ramp that if you slide down will launch you to the island with the quest (It's quest is to go to Airborne Throne).

Thanks for this. I noticed that sidequest thingy way out and wondered how to get to it, but hadn't gotten around to actually hunting for a way up there.

Where is the necessary Skip Travel point? Is it up that tower in the northeast of the lower area with all the high-level Tirkins running around? Or do you get there from somewhere else?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Does anyone actually know where to go for the fifth Mercenary rank mission? I genuinely have no idea how to get there

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

Does anyone actually know where to go for the fifth Mercenary rank mission? I genuinely have no idea how to get there

Take the waterslide on either side of the LOOOOOONG staircase in Fonsa Myma, then time your jump to launch across the broken bridge. Continue down the stairs and take the dive point to the gardens.

Edit:

PJOmega posted:

The "Do x damage in one hit" affinity chart spots can be accomplished during a Merc mission, they just have to have a weapon remotely capable of dealing that damage.

Are you sure about this? Because Dark Matter Chips in Chapter 9 aren't enough to even fill a "Do 800 damage in one hit" node while on a Merc mission. Am I missing some other element to what you're doing?

Invenerable fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 26, 2017

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Chapter 9: All these people sure are calm for their entire continents just deciding to start fighting a giant tree. Also I really haven no idea how society relates to these titans physically, I thought they were supposed to be on the titans' backs (except Uraya which is inside). Surely these titans moving around like this would throw everyone off. Same thing as when Tantal was diving under the cloud sea, how are these people supposed to be staying on?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Invenerable posted:

Take the waterslide on either side of the LOOOOOONG staircase in Fonsa Myma, then time your jump to launch across the broken bridge. Continue down the stairs and take the dive point to the gardens.

Edit:

Are you sure about this? Because Dark Matter Chips in Chapter 9 aren't enough to even fill a "Do 800 damage in one hit" node while on a Merc mission. Am I missing some other element to what you're doing?

I'm not sure if it's even possible to make that jump but once you get to that spot you get the landmark which puts you on the other side anyways.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Andrast posted:

Do not do Ursula’s quest

Counterpoint - don't finish it, but use the short missions to fulfill random unlocks for other blades.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not sure if it's even possible to make that jump but once you get to that spot you get the landmark which puts you on the other side anyways.

I mean, that's how I got there to start with before the mercs even sent me looking for it? If there's an easier/better way, don't hide it from TurnipFritter!

Momomo posted:

Chapter 9: All these people sure are calm for their entire continents just deciding to start fighting a giant tree. Also I really haven no idea how society relates to these titans physically, I thought they were supposed to be on the titans' backs (except Uraya which is inside). Surely these titans moving around like this would throw everyone off. Same thing as when Tantal was diving under the cloud sea, how are these people supposed to be staying on?

On your way to Tantal for the first time, a party member explicitly says it's the same "titan-type as Uraya" and that they live inside it. Completely agree with you regarding how everyone should be falling off Indol, and to a significantly lesser extent, Mor Ardain, but eh: anime.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Invenerable posted:

If there's an easier/better way, don't hide it from TurnipFritter!

well if you insist

IcePhoenix posted:

:v:

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

well if you insist

:v:

OH I thought you meant once you got to the Aquagardens. I am dumb.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Wow, thanks. I never would have found that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So in chapter 7, I have to go through a stone door. Unless I'm missing something, the only way I got through was through a secret path right before the door, climb up with a Earth 3/Leap 3 requirement, and then hop down to pull the lever.

I'm asking if there's another path because that was a Secret area, and the game never had me do a non-story blade requirement for plot stuff.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Hoooly poo poo this side quest boss in Ch 5 pushed me to my limit in terms of bullshit I'm willing to tolerate in the game's battle system.

Like, I was almost able to forgive how the game played like an MMO except if the GCD was like 10 seconds between skills. I can forgive how some enemies have massive HP, seem manageable at first, but then suddenly get Enraged and one shots the entire party. I can even kind of forgive why the developers make you fight some bosses next to oceans/lakes/etc despite how the game is clearly not meant to fight enemies in certain spots in the map.

But introducing bosses that have counter stances? With these slow-rear end arts? And if your party member attacks everyone get blown away for a poo poo-ton of damage? Hell, I got nailed at one point because I was in the middle of an auto attack and at the last possible milisecond, boss activates his counter stance; the boss doesn't even do a loving animation or nothing; the popup comes up, my attack registers despite the animation not fully completing, and the entire party is just blown away. No game, you don't get to try to get fancy with your bosses like this, not with this combat system.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why are your arts slow in chapter five.

Two hits should be recharging by now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

MechaX posted:

Hoooly poo poo this side quest boss in Ch 5 pushed me to my limit in terms of bullshit I'm willing to tolerate in the game's battle system.

Like, I was almost able to forgive how the game played like an MMO except if the GCD was like 10 seconds between skills. I can forgive how some enemies have massive HP, seem manageable at first, but then suddenly get Enraged and one shots the entire party. I can even kind of forgive why the developers make you fight some bosses next to oceans/lakes/etc despite how the game is clearly not meant to fight enemies in certain spots in the map.

But introducing bosses that have counter stances? With these slow-rear end arts? And if your party member attacks everyone get blown away for a poo poo-ton of damage? Hell, I got nailed at one point because I was in the middle of an auto attack and at the last possible milisecond, boss activates his counter stance; the boss doesn't even do a loving animation or nothing; the popup comes up, my attack registers despite the animation not fully completing, and the entire party is just blown away. No game, you don't get to try to get fancy with your bosses like this, not with this combat system.

Dude, flick the stick after the first attack hits. Rex hits like 8 times in the time it takes for a normal 3 hit auto-attack

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, please tell me you at have at least two pouches going for your main character with arts regen and the skill that lets you cancel arts into arts. If not, you really should make those a priority.

At that point I could literally loop driver arts indefinitely with a bitball.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Tae posted:

Dude, flick the stick after the first attack hits. Rex hits like 8 times in the time it takes for a normal 3 hit auto-attack

That's what I've been doing since Ch 2 once I heard about it; it usually got Anchor Shot back up in at least... 6 hits, but still well before any Break effect would wear off.

nerdz posted:

Yeah, please tell me you at have at least two pouches going for your main character with arts regen and the skill that lets you cancel arts into arts. If not, you really should make those a priority.

At that point I could literally loop driver arts indefinitely with a bitball.

I have mostly been using the pouches for the -dmg abilities, but after you mentioned it, I tried to look up the Recharge foot and for science, put Rex, 4th, and 5th with them (and used a Pouch Expansion I didn't even know I had on Rex).

... This makes the difference between seeing an elemental blade combo every minute or so to seeing it at least every 20 seconds (which I think might have been the intent on the devs with the Chain Attacks).

But... why even gate this kind of difference behind Food that has a timer, instead of just building in Arte Recharging like this into the actual leveling? It's not actually an MMO where you need food buffs before each raid :cripes:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is it true all salvage points in the game give the same loot and the only differences are the level of mobs they spawn? Just got to the first area that sells gold cylinders and I want to go to town.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pierson posted:

Is it true all salvage points in the game give the same loot and the only differences are the level of mobs they spawn? Just got to the first area that sells gold cylinders and I want to go to town.

No? Each town has its own salvage as each trader trades his own poo poo.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

IcePhoenix posted:

I made the jump by staying to the right side since there is a lower lip there.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

MechaX posted:

But... why even gate this kind of difference behind Food that has a timer, instead of just building in Arte Recharging like this into the actual leveling? It's not actually an MMO where you need food buffs before each raid :cripes:

really, it's more remarkable that your party can even swing those weapons if they haven't eaten for 19 ingame days

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I've essentially been ignoring pouch items for anything other than skill requirements and it's been fine. Feels more like what they intended as the flow of battle instead of gaming it through animations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Momomo posted:

I've essentially been ignoring pouch items for anything other than skill requirements and it's been fine. Feels more like what they intended as the flow of battle instead of gaming it through animations.

Pouches automatically refill when they expire, grant trust each time they refresh to all your equipped blades. You should be running a passive trust rotation with all youe blades thanks to pouches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Momomo posted:

pouch items have nothing to do with animations and you're absolutely meant to take advantage of them because you can actually squish enemies well below your level that way