Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Apparently Palladium Eagles are gonna be a thing? :eyepop:

Anyone here collect palladium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Super Waffle posted:

Huh, last I read they were cancelling it. Goes to show how little numismatic news is really out there. What research I did do a few months ago makes palladium seem like it's price is more dependent on the computer production than any of the other bullion metals.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I just noticed the egale is ripping apart the olive branch. Not the best imagery :ohdear:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Never really got into Palladium, just heard it has no real luster and looked kind of like lead. But hey, can't bash anyone for branching out of gold & silver.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Super Waffle posted:

I need one of these, but I sure as poo poo can't afford 1oz of Pd. I'd jump on it if there were a tenth ounce version,
or they make it in silver. I do have a tenth ounce palladium round, though:

Super Waffle posted:

That is so cool, I've never seen NK money. How does anyone get NK notes out of the country?

I *think* China prints it for them. Pretty much anything NK related (on eBay) comes from China.
There was a person on Reddit a year or so ago that visited NK and managed to sneak out a few banknotes.

I've also added this to my banknotes:

2017 England polymer 10 Pounds

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

meat police posted:

I love Silver Eagles, but I'd really like to grab some silver Hungary Koronas while silver is at 17. Anyone have an idea of what the avg prices would normally be for them?

Welp, I bought a few 1 Korona coins, found a few OK deals on eBay of all places. Like to get some 2 and 5's as well but I'll just have to be patient.

Sorry for the rushed photo but I've got someone re-doing my wood flooring so I'm gonna gtfo before this varnish high turns into a headache. Also Silver sub-17 and Gold below 1300 again? I might have to hit up the coin store today.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Two quick additions, from Finland:

These are the previous two I had:

Love the toning on that one.

They have a few more that I want as well. No idea why they kept changing up the weights of the coins. They're all four 50% silver, but slightly different weights.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Pending gold stays below 1.3k and silver hopefully dips below 17 I should make a fun trip on Friday. Any interesting world pieces I should keep an eye out for? I’ve got my eyes largely set on Sovereigns and francs but I welcome any ideas.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Ended up settling for 2 Swiss 20 Francs, 2 Sovereigns, and finally got my feet wet with some pre-33 US. Was a fun run, I think I'll start keeping my eyes out for pre-33 over anything else.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

meat police posted:

Ended up settling for 2 Swiss 20 Francs, 2 Sovereigns, and finally got my feet wet with some pre-33 US. Was a fun run, I think I'll start keeping my eyes out for pre-33 over anything else.

Beautiful stuff! How much did all those cost you?

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Super Waffle posted:

Beautiful stuff! How much did all those cost you?

It ran a little north of 2.3k, but I put 120toz of generic silver towards it so I only owed a few hundred. Had ~ $100 loss on the trade-in since I was too lazy to private sell the silver, but that slabbed $5 Indian was calling my name. I'm still not ballsy enough to go whole-hog on graded Saint Gaudens/Gold Eagles though, the thought of putting 1.5k+ into just one coin would make me uneasy if I had to try and resell years down the road. Fractional gold and silver coins/rounds/bars up to 10toz seem to resell in no time, so I'll probably stick to that.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I want to eventually own a pre-33 double eagle, its just such a beautiful coin.

In other news, heres a big rear end copper nugget I picked up at a Rock and Gem show :buddy:

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

meat police posted:

Neat, I have one of those 2 1/2 Dollar Indian heads around here somewhere. My grandfather found it in a drain in an old house.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Long time no see! Yesterday I found a couple boxes with the rest of my grandad's coin collection. Nothing really worth noting, mostly heavily circulated coins he'd picked up on his travels, but I did find some silver in there!

3 medio balboas from Panama, all from 1975

Some Egyptian coin depicting Farouk, king of Egypt. Can't figure out when it was issued, or even its face value.

One well worn Mexican peso from 1955

One 1934 Lempira from the Honduras

An 1898 Morgan

20 Egyptian Piastres from 1916

A well-worn 1943 Walking Liberty half

Nothing supremely beautiful, but will still make nice additions to the collection :)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A good friend of mine is looking to invest some money in gold, do you guys know the best way to avoid excessive markups? It's as an investment so it could be coins or bullion. He's checked out the Canadian coins, krugerands, and bars but they all seem to have a 5% markup over the current rate.

Any suggestions?

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

^Snowy, total spitball, but have you tried metalsmithing suppliers?

Hi collectors! The "how much is my x" thread is closed, so I'm not sure where to turn. I found this cool $20 today and I'm curious:

Some things I know:
-It's from 1969 (C)
-Serial number is high and includes 666 :twisted: (even better being 1969, am child)
-It's in very good shape, is crisp and has no real creases, but is smudged a *little* on the back at top
-There is NO star in the serial number

Thoughts? I can probably take better pictures, too. Thanks in advance!

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

So I, uh, lied about never getting a Saint-Gaudens double eagle. There was a coin show, and one thing led to another and I got everything at a good price. Getting an NGC membership for Christmas, so I can't wait to ship off a fair amount of things to be graded.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Silvers going down real low, might have to buy myself a few ounces :getin:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Super Waffle posted:

Silvers going down real low, might have to buy myself a few ounces :getin:

Sub-16, its an early Christmas present from COMEX. I bought one of those 10oz RMC silver cast bars because they look really cool imho.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Where’s the best place to get silver and take advantage of the low price?

meat police posted:

I bought one of those 10oz RMC silver cast bars because they look really cool imho.

Like these in particular, is there somewhere better than kitco or sd bullion?

Snowy fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 8, 2017

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Snowy posted:

Where’s the best place to get silver and take advantage of the low price?

Like these in particular, is there somewhere better than kitco or sd bullion?

I bought mine through JM Bullion, but if it’s a specific bar/brand I’ll window shop through sd bullion, kitco, provident metals, JM, or APMEX. If you’re just looking for the flat out cheapest bullion by any means from a vendor there’s Compare silver prices and it’s gold counterpart Compare gold prices. Otherwise r/PMsforsale and other FB buy/sell groups for private sales.

Edit: also JM Bullion & Silver Gold Bull have a one per household new customer special where you can buy 10oz of rounds/bar for spot price which is a pretty sweet deal.

meat police fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 8, 2017

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Awesome thank you that helps a lot, especially the new customer deal

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Is there a magnifying lamp any of y'all would recommend? My dad loves his Indian Head pennies and I thought that might be a nice gift for him, since he's getting up there (and is weirdly far-sighted).

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Got this little bugger in:

The rest of my British stuff.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

poo poo that's an impressive collection

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Anyone get something cool in the dip? Got my cast bar in and I'm kind of regretting not getting more. :(

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

meat police posted:

Anyone get something cool in the dip? Got my cast bar in and I'm kind of regretting not getting more. :(

Please clap

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Pooper Trooper posted:

poo poo that's an impressive collection

Thanks. Just added this one:

It's almost as big as a US 50 cent piece, but about a quarter the thickness and weighs about 5.8 grams.

Also got a couple new banknotes:

Venezuela 100,000 Bolivares

Scotland 10 Pounds. The "ZZ" in the serial number means this is a replacement note, like our star notes in the US.

South Korea 2000 Won, uncut sheet of two notes, 2018 Winter Olympics commemorative

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 3, 2018

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

DominusDeus posted:

Scotland 10 Pounds. The "ZZ" in the serial number means this is a replacement note, like our star notes in the US.

Now I want some cool Otter dollars I never knew existed.

New Year, new double eagle. Gold pricing is a bit ridiculous atm so I'm trying to wait it out til it gets below 1.3k :(

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

I've been looking for a brass tanka for a while, on account of its interesting history (early example of token currency, crazy amount of medieval counterfeiting). Most of the ones I've seen on e-bay looked pretty rough, and then lo-and-behold I found this one at a small but awesome coin store in Calgary, Alberta for a great price. It might be a counterfeit, but if it is, it's probably a really old counterfeit?

The owner was also in the process of grading and pricing some ancient Indian punch-mark coins so I nabbed one of those as well:

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

:eyepop: I would definitely ship those out to be graded. Especially that Indian punch-marked coin, that is too cool.

Speaking of punch marks I’ve been looking at adding a Mexican 8 Reales to the collection. A few I’ve seen over time has Chinese punch-marks during their use in trade. Does anyone know of any good resources to read regarding the 8 Reales and also the trade punches?

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
10 Pound not from the Clydesdale Bank, Scotland, arrived.

Also a replacement note, as noted by the ZZ in the serial.

Also on the way is a 10 Pound replacement note from the Bank of Scotland (the final of the three issuing banks in Scotland), a 2008 Bank of Ireland 10 Pound note, and a 1957–69 Japanese 500 Yen banknote.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
I've been a moderate silver stacker for awhile, not for Ron Paul 2012 reasons, but to help diversify the portfolio/have fun scrooge mcducking stacks of silver bullion. I just got another of my orders in and tried to pick up some more of the unique numismatic coins along with the usual Britannias, Roos, and Kookaburras. I have to say i'm usually not a fan of a lot of the Lunar series out there but I am loving the Rwandan Lunar series quite a bit, such a cool looking design! On top of that I picked up my first South Korean Zi:Sin Gallus which is pretty neat and looks like it leaped straight off a Final Fantasy game cover. I'm still waiting on my Krugerrand and Archangel later this week to fill in the cool world silver coins.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
I need to catch up on some Rwandan stuff... I did finally get a silver Krugerrand, as wall as that Gallus and some other pieces.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

DominusDeus posted:

I need to catch up on some Rwandan stuff... I did finally get a silver Krugerrand, as wall as that Gallus and some other pieces.

Nice! I thought the Krugerrand was a little pricey but since this is part of a collection I felt like it was worth it. Yeah the Rwandan stuff is pretty interesting, the stained glass looking designs for the lunar animals are pretty neat.

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 26, 2018

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
To go with the Royal Bank of Scotland and the Clydesdale Bank of Scotland, I got a Bank of Scotland 10 Pound note, completing the trifecta of Scottish banks. Also a replacement note like the other two:

And grabbed a Bank of Ireland 10 pound note:

Grabbed a last year issue Japanese 500 yen banknote:

And my pièce de résistance, a US $500 bill:

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

DominusDeus posted:

To go with the Royal Bank of Scotland and the Clydesdale Bank of Scotland, I got a Bank of Scotland 10 Pound note, completing the trifecta of Scottish banks. Also a replacement note like the other two:

And grabbed a Bank of Ireland 10 pound note:

Grabbed a last year issue Japanese 500 yen banknote:

And my pièce de résistance, a US $500 bill:

Nice! That $500 bill is rad!

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Podothehobbit posted:

Nice! That $500 bill is rad!

Thanks!

Got this neat bit of WWI hyperinflationary history in:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

You all should watch this guy refine down $10k worth of scrap jewelry into a bar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuwbwYNnAKA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Super Waffle posted:

You all should watch this guy refine down $10k worth of scrap jewelry into a bar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuwbwYNnAKA

Or just watch Cody'sLab in general.