Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
My wife has been on the T-Mobile dork plan since 2014 and recently lost her phone so we're going to need to replace her SIM.

Has anyone been able to get a new SIM and keep the dork plan or are they going to force me into a different prepaid plan now that they no longer offer it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
I've done SIM changes a few times, most recently last year, no trouble (the current ones are the 3-in-1 anyway). Maybe it's different at non-corporate stores? They might try to up-sell you, but won't force anything.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
The rumour mill (Howard Forums) is saying the Cricket Wireless group save could be changing. The claim is new group saves will stop tomorrow (10/22). Existing accounts will be grandfathered in, but any changes to a grandfathered account after 11/4 will change the group save discount. Changing a line's plan would be enough to remove the old discounts.

If true, this would be bad for me, and I'd probably look elsewhere. I tend to switch my family's lines between basic and smart fairly often, depending on usage or if someone is going to Canada. For now I have the two heaviest users on smart and the other three on basic, but I'm considering bumping up more before 11/4.

For people like me with five lines, its effectively a $30/month increase.

edit: Nothing is confirmed yet, this is all rumour

poppingseagull fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 21, 2017

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Dunno about the group save part, but I just got the text informing me that my $40/$35-with-autopay Cricket plan just got bumped from 4GB to 5GB. So the rest may well be legit.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Does Cricket Wireless do anything for Black Friday/Cyber Monday? I'm looking at the Stylo 3 and it's 129 right now, wanting something with a good camera that's on the lower end of prices. Do they typically drop the prices around this time of year for the holidays?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They always have a few models of iphone/etc on sale around the afternoon of BF.

Goos deal if you plan to keep it.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

whatever7 posted:

They always have a few models of iphone/etc on sale around the afternoon of BF.

Goos deal if you plan to keep it.

Geez, i checked their website and they don't have the cheap iphones like the 6 or SE available anymore.

That's unfortunate.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Two questions for anyone who might know Cricket as I'm trying to convince my gf who has a father who works at Verizon to switch over:

1) The Verizon MVNOs basically all still suck compared to Cricket right?

2) So the Unlimited 2 plan at $80 is the same price as the 2x$50 plans ($100 - $5 autopay - $10 line discount)... and you get 22GB of less-than-highspeed compared to the regular plan's 8GB of actual-highspeed? I'm not sure I see the value. Am I missing something?

Mister Fister posted:

Geez, i checked their website and they don't have the cheap iphones like the 6 or SE available anymore.

That's unfortunate.

Byod bro.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Afaik every verizon mvno is throttled to 5 down, cricket is 8 I think

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I'm on Total Wireless and ran a speedtest on Thanksgiving and got about 26 mbps down, 42 mbps up.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm on Total Wireless and ran a speedtest on Thanksgiving and got about 26 mbps down, 42 mbps up.

I was sure that you were wrong because I had total wireless but apparently they changed this in like August, seems like it only applies to the tracfone ones

https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2017/08/tracfone-confirms-end-of-5-mbps.html?m=1

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

revwinnebago posted:

2) So the Unlimited 2 plan at $80 is the same price as the 2x$50 plans ($100 - $5 autopay - $10 line discount)... and you get 22GB of less-than-highspeed compared to the regular plan's 8GB of actual-highspeed? I'm not sure I see the value. Am I missing something?

I don't think Cricket has an 8GB plan anymore. It goes 5GB for $40 ($35 with auto pay), then Unlimited 2 for $55 ($50 with auto pay, 22GB of terrible 3mbps speed), followed lastly with Unlimited @ $60 ($55 w/autopay, 22GB at 8mbps which let's you stream HD). I don't think the group discounts for multiple lines is combinable with the autopay discount either. So if you just need two lines of slow data and don't want to have to worry about hitting a cap, it's kind of a value.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 30, 2017

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Nokia 2 is now available in the US:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FLG6MV/

$99

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rastor posted:

The Nokia 2 is now available in the US:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FLG6MV/

$99

That's a pretty lovely phone for 2017. I don't know if I could really recommend that to anyone. One of the weakest CPUs that's going on 3 years old, not even 2gb of ram, but hey it's got a massive battery so it should probably last a few days.

Honestly there are much better choices in that price range or even going a few generations back to a higher end phone would be better.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Blue Train posted:

I was sure that you were wrong because I had total wireless but apparently they changed this in like August, seems like it only applies to the tracfone ones

https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2017/08/tracfone-confirms-end-of-5-mbps.html?m=1

Don't know what to tell you. I've got a Pixel from Verizon. I've never used anything from or through tracfone.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Total wireless is owned by the same company as tracfone and straight talk it's all america movil

In the United States, it operates through its subsidiary TracFone Wireless, Inc. under the brands TracFone, NET10 Wireless, Straight Talk, SIMPLE Mobile, Telcel América, Page Plus Cellular and Total Wireless. It is one of the leading national pre-paid wireless service provider in the U.S.

So other Verizon resellers not under that umbrella will still see the throttled speeds

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 30, 2017

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Mental Hospitality posted:

I don't think Cricket has an 8GB plan anymore. It goes 5GB for $40 ($35 with auto pay), then Unlimited 2 for $55 ($50 with auto pay, 22GB of terrible 3mbps speed), followed lastly with Unlimited @ $60 ($55 w/autopay, 22GB at 8mbps which let's you stream HD). I don't think the group discounts for multiple lines is combinable with the autopay discount either. So if you just need two lines of slow data and don't want to have to worry about hitting a cap, it's kind of a value.

So I guess I'm grandfathered into the old 8GB plan then, that's news.

This new plan seems like a really strange substitute. High-speed* unlimited** data***!

*Throttled to 3GB
**Throttled more at 22GB
***We're totally not going to sell an add-on service to get HD video we swear!****
****Deezer video coming soon.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

How miserable will I be on ATT prepaid service? I want to go back to that sweet, sweet iPhone SE life and $150 for the phone and $45 for the service is a pretty solid deal on paper.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's fine

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

How miserable will I be on ATT prepaid service? I want to go back to that sweet, sweet iPhone SE life and $150 for the phone and $45 for the service is a pretty solid deal on paper.

I just switched to it from postpaid and haven't noticed a difference other than paying $20 less for the exact same thing I had before (6GB UT&T) - even with the 25% corporate discount I had on my postpaid plan

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

IuniusBrutus posted:

You can buy an iPhone SE unlocked for close to that price and use it anywhere?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I used to champion Cricket Wireless but lately their service in my area seems to be slipping quite a bit. I'm considering Verizon's prepaid plans. I mean, $50 a month for 7 gigs isn't really that bad (I typically use about 3-4), especially if you get Verizon's coverage and apparently un-capped Verizon speeds? Is there something I'm missing?

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 27, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I used to champion Cricket Wireless but lately their service in my area seems to be slipping quite a bit. I'm considering Verizon's prepaid plans. I mean, $50 a month for 7 gigs isn't really that bad (I typically use about 3-4), especially if you get Verizon's coverage and apparently un-capped Verizon speeds? Is there something I'm missing?

Eh, there's some groat that goes with dealing with Verizon but I wouldn't say they're leagues worse than any other carrier. Like if you can tolerate Comcast fuckery then Verizon shouldn't be too bad.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

If you're only using 3-4 gb then just go with Total Wireless (Verizon) to get 5gb for $35.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Another slightly disgruntled Cricket customer considering switching. Is there a site I can use to see if Tmo (MetroPCS) in my area has whatever is needed to get good signal inside buildings?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I recharged my tracfone for $100+ fees and taxes (2k minutes/texts/data but for the entire year)

It is a poor phone but it does what I need.

Just chuckling because I'm fairly certain tracfone and Net10 (thread title) are the same corporate entity.

It's a burner and I do like my iPhone better, and pay more for it but I have to use something to call all my exes in texas

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

Another slightly disgruntled Cricket customer considering switching. Is there a site I can use to see if Tmo (MetroPCS) in my area has whatever is needed to get good signal inside buildings?

make sue your phone supports 700mhz/band 12 and then view the map here http://www.spectrumgateway.com/t-mobile-700a-spectrum

syscall girl posted:

Just chuckling because I'm fairly certain tracfone and Net10 (thread title) are the same corporate entity.

they are they own a bunch of mvnos

TracFone, NET10 Wireless, Total Wireless, Straight Talk, SafeLink Wireless, Telcel América, SIMPLE Mobile, Page Plus Cellular, GoSmart Mobile, and Walmart Family Mobile

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you're only using 3-4 gb then just go with Total Wireless (Verizon) to get 5gb for $35.

Are the speeds throttled/capped though? If I'm out in the suburbs, my speeds are fine, but if I'm in a busy area my speeds tend to dwindle down to almost unusable levels at times. The lack of a speed cap would be worth the extra money in my area.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Total wireless is not capped but all mvnos get deprioritized so you will likely have the same experience. I did

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Like the day that made me switch I was in a large city and getting 56k speeds

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

Like the day that made me switch I was in a large city and getting 56k speeds

fifty-six-kay?

no way

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea it was bs the forums wouldn't even load in the app. Speedtest app wouldn't connect. Only way I know is the network speed can show in the status bar

Moral is total wireless is not good in the city

E: also I was exaggerating a bit it was 0.1 mb/s

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 27, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I live in Orlando, the tourist section, and at busy vacationing times (ie right now) there are so many additional people here that my speeds on Cricket drop to a crawl. Occasionally nothing will load. Typically most of the time I'm probably getting between 1-3 mbps unless it's late at night where I can get 8 mbps. Cricket has never been as bad as Virgin Mobile, my previous service, where literally half the time I couldn't get anything to load at all, but Cricket is getting noticeably slower.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It looks like AT&T's prepaid $40 6GB plan is also not capped and includes rollover data like Verizon's plan so I'm going to choose one of those. Now that all the big carriers have decent prepaid plans and offer BYO device, I don't really see any reason to stick with mvnos unless you really need the extra $5-10 you might save.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

It looks like AT&T's prepaid $40 6GB plan is also not capped and includes rollover data like Verizon's plan so I'm going to choose one of those. Now that all the big carriers have decent prepaid plans and offer BYO device, I don't really see any reason to stick with mvnos unless you really need the extra $5-10 you might save.

IMHO: That's like saying (local internet carrier) is only $5 cheaper than Comcast so everybody back on board the monopoly.

The whole reason you can BYOD to a reasonable free 2g after highspeed cap plan is thanks to the MVNOs forcing competition.

I'd be hesitant to go back until it's a serious issue.

Yeah, I live in Orlando, the tourist section, and at busy vacationing times (ie right now) there are so many additional people here that my speeds on Cricket drop to a crawl. Occasionally nothing will load. Typically most of the time I'm probably getting between 1-3 mbps unless it's late at night where I can get 8 mbps. Cricket has never been as bad as Virgin Mobile, my previous service, where literally half the time I couldn't get anything to load at all, but Cricket is getting noticeably slower.

But are the tourists actually getting full speed on the big carriers at those times, or is coverage a bit crap for everyone because the towers are overloaded?

Back when I was on Verizon, there were lots of times when I'd be in a tourist area and effectively lose my data connection. I have zero trust there.

Anecdote: I use Cricket in Chicago, lots of coworkers to compare with at office lunch and etc. It's very rare for me to have trouble doing something, and someone on Verizon to have to come to the rescue.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
So happy Cricket added WiFi calling recently. I like in a new, concrete apartment building and its a signal death zone except right by the windows. Doesn't matter Verizon/ATT/T-Mobile/Sprint. Now I can actually get/make calls reliably at home.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

revwinnebago posted:

IMHO: That's like saying (local internet carrier) is only $5 cheaper than Comcast so everybody back on board the monopoly.

The whole reason you can BYOD to a reasonable free 2g after highspeed cap plan is thanks to the MVNOs forcing competition.

I'd be hesitant to go back until it's a serious issue.
That's true, but currently it means I can get higher than 1-mbps during the day which is all I seem to get with Cricket anymore.

Upon checking out the fine print, it seems that Verizon does state that all prepaid users may be throttled in times/areas of heavy traffic, whereas AT&T only states that for their unlimited prepaid plan, which is also capped at 3 mbps while their other prepaid plans aren't. I don't know how accurate that is, but since Cricket is on AT&T's network and I've had great connections and coverage (just slow data), I'm going to try AT&T instead of Verizon when i'm closer to the end of my plan month. That's the great thing about no contract plans, I guess. If you don't like the service, you can always easily switch.

revwinnebago posted:

But are the tourists actually getting full speed on the big carriers at those times, or is coverage a bit crap for everyone because the towers are overloaded?

They're getting slower speeds too, but while they're getting slow data, it means I'm getting almost none. There times when I can't get anything to load. It's rare, but enough of an annoyance that I don't mind paying an extra $5 a month if it improves things, which I guess I'll find out.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

poppingseagull posted:

So happy Cricket added WiFi calling recently. I like in a new, concrete apartment building and its a signal death zone except right by the windows. Doesn't matter Verizon/ATT/T-Mobile/Sprint. Now I can actually get/make calls reliably at home.

Hangouts Dialer works most of the time if you don't mind Google listening to your calls.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
As I posted earlier, I have been using Cricket Wireless and it was great for a while, but lately the data speeds have suffered. I decided to check out AT&T's Prepaid service since Cricket uses AT&T's network and I've had great luck with coverage, just heavy data throttling that sometimes renders it unusable for a while.

Note that AT&T's unlimited prepaid plan caps speeds at 3Mbps per the fine print, however, the other plans are not capped. I chose the $45 ($40 with autopay) 6GB plan. Here are some Speedtest comparisons:

Cricket mid-day (typical speed, though today I was getting 7 mbps):

AT&T mid-day:

Cricket late night:

AT&T late night (Wow!!):

(not sure why it was saying 950 miles away)

To me this is well worth the extra $5 a month compared to Cricket's $40 ($35 with auto pay) plan, which is also 1GB less.

In heavy traffic areas and times, my Cricket data sometimes trickles down to this:

Note the upload speed still being high. I'll have to run another speed test in a busy area with AT&T to see what it drops to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I believe the answer is yes, but I want to double check. I am looking at an iPhone SE that the seller said was used on GoPhone. I use Cricket, will I have any trouble activating since they're both AT&T or will it work right away?

Should I be worried about buying an iPhone on swappa?