Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'd say Gojira has, not necessarily a note of hope, but a strong ethical sense for the nuclear era- Serizawa's choice is one others will have to make if we're to survive.

Yes.

The reason why I can't say it's even got a note of hope is the ending. The rumination that there are more horrors like Godzilla waiting in the depths that they could awaken with such reckless behavior.

Though Godzilla King of the Monsters used the same ending but did manage to have some hope to it. I do genuinely appreciate King of the Monsters as its own film- it works mostly flawlessly with Gojira just from another character's perspective.

My ideal version of Gojira would just have Raymond Burr edited into the background of some scene or other taking notes or one of his media scenes spliced in.

King of the Monsters has two lines in it that make it invaluable to me as a monster movie. One of them is even, to me, superior to its counterpart in Gojira.

" The menace was gone... so was a great man. But the whole world could wake up and live again. "

Which is a great line entirely for who it came from. Steve Martin in universe and out was removed from the other characters enough to take that kind of hopeful outlook on things, compared to the rest who could only mourn who had been lost and what could come next.

But then there is this

" Then you have a responsibility no man has ever faced. You have your fear which might become reality. And you have Godzilla, which *is* reality. "

This is just a god drat good line.

King of the Monsters isn't as good a movie as Shin or Gojira, of course, but it stands heads and shoulders above its American contemporaries and is a fascinating film from a historical stand point.

The original to me is untouchable beyond some unfortunate puppet shots. Shin isn't as great a film but drat if it isn't one of the best in the franchise. The only other movie that MIGHT beat it is Return of Godzilla and that's a huge dice roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Watching Mothra for the first time and I love how the movie ends up in this weird made up American/European hybrid city.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Burkion posted:

The original to me is untouchable beyond some unfortunate puppet shots.

This is true, and also I still can't square the fact that one of the first people the Japanese government calls after the initial shipping disasters is a renowned Paleontologist, for some reason.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Watching Mothra for the first time and I love how the movie ends up in this weird made up American/European hybrid city.

A U.S./U.S.S.R. hybrid, to be precise, which makes it all the funnier.

Mothra rules.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The scene where Godzilla first reveals himself from behind a mountain is, to me, one of the scariest shots in all of film. For some reason it automatically transports me back to age 7 when I watched it for the first time. It's helped by the fact that the original Godzilla design has such an element of cruel, belligerent stupidity to it. Later Godzillas (I haven't seen Shin yet and I hear this is more an exception) always seemed to have a bit more intelligence or awareness.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Burkion posted:

It's definitely blood, it's just Shin's blood.

The main form we see, the adult form I guess, is his fourth form. He stops bleeding after he settles into his second form- his first form is unseen, and it is the thing that attacked the underground and bled everywhere.

Then he decided he wanted to go on land so he mutated into his second form and bled everywhere until that form matured enough and he adapted into a more hardy third form. Which itself led to the fourth form.

The reason why he stopped bleeding ties into a generally accepted thing with all Godzillas- they can regenerate.

How or why Godzilla regenerates is generally not gone into too much, but it's been a power of his since the 70s at least. Godzilla can be grievously wounded and then heal that injury in short order.

The effects to show it properly weren't really there until Godzilla 2000, and even there we only see Orga doing it on screen, but the idea of it has been present for most of the franchise. In theory that's what's up with Shin's wounds, he just heals faster than his body can fall apart early on, and then heals the injuries the army manages to give him near instantly.
Neato!! Thing that confused me was, we only see cutie-patootie Kamata-kun goosh blood on two 'strides' out of all the ones we see him take, and waaay before he grows up. It's kinda what made me question my 'oh he bleeds when he mutates' inference into 'is that the radiation he's just dispensing like when they say trace amounts are dripping from his [then dormant] mouth?' Then again, I also have been interpreting the red (as I said) on his body as membranous tissue (since they pumped the coolant into something, but not just... openly into his mouth like it'd be going down any kind of digestive tract) but it could've been bloody-raw tissue as well.

Burkion posted:

For the lack of blood, it's just a matter of scale.
[...]
there's lots of chances to see the heroes be personally affected by the Angels and what they do.

With Godzilla, in this movie and elsewhere, it wouldn't really make sense. None of the humans are up close and personal with Godzilla- those that are get wiped out in an instant or vaporized.

Humans are just too small to matter to Godzilla, and showing gorey aftermath stuff would be very gratuitous.
One thing I like about Anno is he does take the time to spend on the human toll, the cost in labor and/or time, the what would otherwise be 'behind-the-scenes' in a generic Action Flick/show. Like showing the workers hooking poo poo up frantically. That's one thing I liked about the original NGE anime was the angels didn't explode into a tsunami of blood/LCL on termination but stayed around and had to be dismantled over the course of several episodes while characters continually complained at that costing money.

Seriously, I'm a bit of a dunderhead, so it took my 3rd or so viewing to be like "oh, poo poo, this really looks like the 2011 aftermath, this is bad" and not "oh aha wait is that a shoe some guy lost in that wreckage while Yaguchi silently honors/apologizes to the populace?" or "lol anno and his trains/power lines." Since I've known Godzilla since a young kiddo, he's never been scary to me/I never got the implications. It took that many watches for the latter to fade enough for me to really be able to appreciate the horror and the weight of how many people died/were affected in this film. It hits very hard now, but on contemplating how much Godzilla blood we see versus very little 'human damage' it made me start to think.

And well, honestly, my first exposure to Anno was actually my brothers showing me EoE when I was ten, of which the Asuka death scene made the biggest impression and the only thing I remembered/was coherent knowledge of NGE aside from that scene of Unit-01 eating Zeruel for eh about a decade, so for me, 'gratuitous' and Anno aren't necessarily... :sweatdrop:

Burkion posted:

Though, that is something that is unique to the original film if you've never seen it. We get to explicitly see the victims of Godzilla's attack and actions, through out the film. The burned bodies that washed ashore and those that survived after the city was destroyed. It's some of the strongest stuff in Gojira and entirely unique to that film and its tone.
Huuuhhhh! I'm about 80-85% sure I have, but then again, as a young child, so I don't remember very much at all, certainly nothing like that. Could have been because I was a kid, could have been the dub version I saw 'cleaning' it up. I recall as a kid even kinda thinking they were probably having some 'creative licensing' with some of the stories.

Basically my childhood remembrance of Godzilla generally is:
Godzilla: of course the best and when he goes from bad guy to good guy it's awesome go go godzilla!
Bambi vs. Godzilla [...wait monty python didn't do this?]
King Kong: They're enemies, then they take turns smashing a pagoda(?) to Decide Something (????), and then they're cool
Mothra: She is Awesome because she is the Good Guy in fights and I liked her cry
Gamera: Turtle guy? boring
Rodan: name sounds familiar
Ghidorah: GHIDORAH BEST ENEMY my favorite because he looked like a dragon and had three heads and is gold, the three most important components for being cool. I think I even had a little ghidorah figurine whose necks you could barely move. ...wonder what happened to it.
Mechagodzilla/robo godzilla/alien-sent godzilla thing(s): oh man godzilla is totally outmatched how is he gonna win this one he just got beat!
???: I've seen gifs of this guy in the thread, the one with the scythes that looks like the pokemon Bisharp, he was a pretty good threat
1998: ... this is the new york lizard egg one, right, i think i saw this in theaters

... Seems like I've got some (re)watching to do, huh. Shame nothing's on netflix.

E-flat fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 28, 2017

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

E-flat posted:

???: I've seen gifs of this guy in the thread, the one with the scythes that looks like the pokemon Bisharp, he was a pretty good threat

I think you mean Gigan, you should watch that one again because it fuckin' rules. In my top 5 easy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
King of the Monsters, the American version of Gojira, didn't actually pull any punches when it came to showing the victims of Godzilla. In fact, Raymond Burr the American lead is one of them and that's how he starts the movie- shoved into a hospital filled with the maimed and the dead.

It does lessen the context in a few places- the woman and her children are still there but what they say is left untranslated in Japanese.

So you don't hear the woman, who is hugging her children close, crying that they'll be with their father soon as a wall of flames comes to consume them

And then you see them later, the mother dead and the children orphans.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Mostly the editing makes KOTM into more of a thriller. By starting on the destruction, they replace the early anxiety- the sense that there's something in the ocean that's lashing out and killing everyone- with more of a sense of certain doom. It's leaner, has more of a driving forward pace. It doesn't really neuter the anti-nuclear message- famously Raymond Burr took it to heart- but the parallels are a little less explicit, and specifically eliminates any allusions to America. (In the original they talk about not making Godzilla's atomic origins public because it might damage international relations, and that's very much talking about the Lucky Dragon incident.)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, if it had been a typical Hollywood white washing of a great foreign film, I'd never really defend it.

Instead they do an incredible job making the film into something 1950s America would accept without taking away from the point of the whole thing. This was a mainstream success in American theaters, and it had A White Guy and a whole bunch of Japanese talking Japanese people. They even cast Asian American actors to voice the Japanese lines and Asian American Actors to fill in for the Japanese people.

It is such a unique film on its own I'm not sure there could be another like it. Godzilla 1985 does not count. Also yeah, compared to the films that came out alongside it, you pretty much just have Them! on the American side to compare it with.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

E-flat posted:

Gamera: Turtle guy? boring
Rodan: name sounds familiar

Gamera and Rodan kick rear end, bud

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Next Godzilla movie needs eternal bros Gigan and Megalon.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I will lobby for a cinematic return of secret best monster Biollante until the heat death of the universe. It'll never happen because Toho will never forgive that film's failure to make any money, but I can dream.

God, Godzilla vs Biollante is so goddamn good. So very, very 80's.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Also the space ghost rose at the end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Also the space ghost rose at the end.

I can't think of a single Space Ghost joke, but if I could, I'd post a big picture with it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

I can't think of a single Space Ghost joke, but if I could, I'd post a big picture with it.

Same but just describing the thing is funny enough for me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Nakajima talks about the dangers of performing in a daikaiju suit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbQaGSLLTbE

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Desumaytah posted:

I will lobby for a cinematic return of secret best monster Biollante until the heat death of the universe. It'll never happen because Toho will never forgive that film's failure to make any money, but I can dream.

God, Godzilla vs Biollante is so goddamn good. So very, very 80's.

Doesn't spacegodzilla have a line about biolante being the reason he exists? Bam, there's your sequel, hope the monkeys paw was worth it

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

mandatory lesbian posted:

Doesn't spacegodzilla have a line about biolante being the reason he exists? Bam, there's your sequel, hope the monkeys paw was worth it

iirc, when Mothra left earth in Battra's place to go stop that meteor, she got a bunch of the orbiting Biollante G-Cell pollen in her wings, which then in turn got all over the rock. It in turn flew through a black hole, then somehow bounced back, and because a wizard did it, the combination of animal, vegetable, and mineral, as well as space magic and radiation created Space Godzilla. And now we're all a little bit dumber for it.

Edit: Wait, there's more dumb continuity! After Mecha-King Ghidorah got smashed up, the GDF used the Futurian tech in it to create Super Mechagodzilla. After that whole debacle, when it got trashed, the Japanese Space Agency then cannibalized the parts to make M.O.G.U.E.R.A. for extraterrestrial exploration--he was never intended to be used as an anti-kaiju measure!

Choco1980 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 29, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

JANUARY 17

https://twitter.com/GODZILLA_ANIME/status/949839889591287808

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

For everywhere or just Netflix Japan?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I believe they said way back that the Netflix release would be worldwide.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I'm just curious if any of the other Godzilla baddies will show up and if they'll be suitably giganticized. It's be funny to see regular sized Rodan just perching on Megazilla though.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I hope that whenever we see the Legendary take on King Ghidorah he's got something more like the old school eerie cackling roar instead of the "Rodan, but worse" special he's been saddled with since 91.

Actually, I kind of liked his Final Wars hyena grunting, even though I hated basically everything else about his design in that film.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Agreed. Rodan and King Ghidorah both peaked in Showa. Every iteration since has been a pale imitation.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

HannibalBarca posted:

Agreed. The Godzilla series as a whole peaked in Showa. Every iteration since has been a pale imitation.

:same:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HannibalBarca posted:

Agreed. Rodan and King Ghidorah both peaked in Showa. Every iteration since has been a pale imitation.

That's a strong claim to make in the Shin Godzilla thread.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Ghidorah's chattering is cool and unique and I don't know why they got rid of it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Grand Ghidorah's design is great but the actual costume didn't have the budget to make it work right

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I liked the various Ghidorahs from the Mothra series myself.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Choco1980 posted:

I liked the various Ghidorahs from the Mothra series myself.

Death Ghidorah has a beautiful costume, especially the quadraped form, but it's not really a traditional Ghidorah design

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Schwarzwald posted:

That's a strong claim to make in the Shin Godzilla thread.

1) this is basically the Godzilla general thread
2) there hasn't been a Rodan or Ghidorah iteration since Final Wars?????
3) Showa Godzilla was also the best, fight me

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, this thread convinced me to watch Skull Island so thanks for that. Great stuff. I have to get off my rear end and watch some Godzilla films soon, I'm getting a taste for them.

Some drat cool giant critters in there. The big stick insect was cute. :3:

Also was the big turtle thing in the opening credits Gamera? He's the big turtle one, right?

E: gently caress credits just ended and that post credit scene unreasonably hyped me up

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

McDragon posted:

E: gently caress credits just ended and that post credit scene unreasonably hyped me up

It was so good :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gamera is not owned by Toho and thus will not be in the MonsterVerse.

....yet.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Toho is the only reason that hasn't happened yet.

Gamera's creators have been all for some kind of crossover

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

I'll probably get flak for saying that Gamera's really lame.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Actually, you will find that he is really neat and filled with turtle meat.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rough Lobster posted:

I'll probably get flak for saying that Gamera's really lame.

Showa Gamera is utter trash tier.

Like, the first movie is just a really bad (and SUPER late!) cash in on Godzilla 1954 that was out dated even by the standards of its release. Barugon is just a boring movie. Gyaos is actually cool and has good fights but looks like poo poo.

The rest are sub Megalon level. The worst Gamera movie is so much worse than the worst Godzilla movie.

The Heisei Trilogy and Gamera the Brave are very good though. Guardian of the Universe suffers from the Gamera prop looking too much like a muppet, but after that they nail the design.

Gamera the Brave is basically the best Kids Movie giant monster movie you're going to find. It goes all in on being a kids rear end kids movie with kid protagonists and a kid Gamera and it does not flinch from it at all.

But yeah there's a reason why Gyaos is the only Showa Gamera monster to keep coming back- he was the ONLY GOOD THING in the entire showa era.

Gurion was cool though and Barugon had great powers. Shame he was just a big lizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The original Gamera movie has the Japanese military smugly assuring themselves that "he's a turtle, if we flip him on his back, he'll be helpless" only to discover that he can fly by emitting flames from his shell to right himself, which would singlehandedly redeem the movie even if it weren't also pretty good overall.