Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Nash posted:

What do people do for army composition late campaign Brettonia? I am used to playing factions that are not focused on cavalry and am at a loss of how much of my army should be inf/missile/cav. Playing as Louen, whom I have gotten some buffs for cav then pumped his personal combat skills.

Forgo infantry, knights for life - Go grail guardians and grail knights. Former to anchor the line, the latter for cycle charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

JBP posted:

You have to at least break that up with some Pegasus knights for fun surely.

Those guys are lame, but I'll allow some hippo knights

e: speaking of Brettonia, has CA elaborated on the changes they're making to them with the tomb kings patch?

ee: wait, did I make up that there are brettonia changes coming?

feller fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 28, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Brettonia are real bad in multi right now so they'll probably get some buffs with the next patch.

The only thing we know for sure though is Cygor accuracy is getting nerfed iirc.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just refer to the Cygor as Metal Gear.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zore posted:

Brettonia are real bad in multi right now so they'll probably get some buffs with the next patch.

The only thing we know for sure though is Cygor accuracy is getting nerfed iirc.

It should be nerfed except when tossing at wizards when they then become more accurate.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

MonsterEnvy posted:

It should be nerfed except when tossing at wizards when they then become more accurate.

They should just be able to toss wizards around. The projectiles should be wizards.

I just remember playing Dawn of War and having an Avatar of Khaine smack a Chaos sorcerer so hard it sailed halfway across the map.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Holy poo poo I did not believe this was a thing.

Somehow I still don’t.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The true Everchosen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

It's a thing saw him in person at a store the other day.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
So I got TW:W a few days ago, gifted by a friend, and I'm having a blast. The only downside I can think of right now is basically just lore-related, which is that I dislike how the warhammer universe puts the equivalents of their culture rip-offs in the exact same spots they are IRL. Like Bretonnia is clearly medieval France, with a fairly generic Spain and Italy in their respective positions to its south, and the Empire is clearly some late renaissance/early modern Holy Roman Empire. There's even a Praag (Prague) in the east of the Empire, and Carcassonne, Aquitaine and Bord(el)eaux are real places!!

However I'm confused wrt Norsca. Is there any lore reason they join up with chaos? Are they evil and okay with chaos, or is it just a thing that Chaos canonically subjugated these vikings and turned them evil through conquest? What are wintertooth and al, and why the hell did chaos-related vikings (skaelings...?) set sail from the south in my Dwarves campaign?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

what do you mean why? beacuse IRL scandinavians are exactly like that :shrug:

And they do in fact invade Prague IRL with hordes of feral teenagers every year after graduation

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 28, 2017

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
They live too close to the hellscape that is the chaos wastes and this has turned them into servants/faithfuls of the twisted powers that live there. Not all Norscans are 100% believers though, but they are few and are usually quickly turned if found out.

Basically think of them as chernobyl victims, the chaos wastes are more or less fantasy-irradiated.

As for that last part, well its a mechanic to make sure you get some vikings down in the badlands to fight when the chaos invasion comes, also sort of works since norsemen irl would sail EVERYWHERE back in the day.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Norsca worship the chaos gods and gain benefit from doing so. They live in a corrupted place, fight giant foes and earn the favour of their patrons so they can fight even more powerful foes. They join with chaos armies because they're the same religion basically, but they'd just as likely try to kill a champion of chaos for the credit (if they were strong enough).

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Deltasquid posted:

However I'm confused wrt Norsca. Is there any lore reason they join up with chaos? Are they evil and okay with chaos, or is it just a thing that Chaos canonically subjugated these vikings and turned them evil through conquest? What are wintertooth and al, and why the hell did chaos-related vikings (skaelings...?) set sail from the south in my Dwarves campaign?

The lore reason is that Norsca is just closer to the chaos wastes and therefore more affected by the creeping corruption of chaos. Norscans aren't inherently evil but a lot of them worship gods that are thinly-veiled versions of the Chaos gods (the Hound is Khorne, the Eagle is Tzeentch, etc). Some of them also worship the same gods as some of the Empire, but that's not represented in the game.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Ok cool. I'll feel a tiny bit guilty as my cannons tear them to shreds, but not too much

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Deltasquid posted:

Ok cool. I'll feel a tiny bit guilty as my cannons tear them to shreds, but not too much

They're not dawi. At the end of the day, gently caress em.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Don't feel guilty. They used to be the most annoying and unfun enemy for a long while, and still are in TWW2.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Ah yes, that reminds me:

What the hell did Bretonnia look like before their FLC? Was it just a region full of generic human swordsmen and stuff? :psyduck:

What about regions in TWW2 that haven't gotten their DLC factions/units/lords yet?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Deltasquid posted:

Ah yes, that reminds me:

What the hell did Bretonnia look like before their FLC? Was it just a region full of generic human swordsmen and stuff? :psyduck:

What about regions in TWW2 that haven't gotten their DLC factions/units/lords yet?

Bretonnia were a half-done faction on release - they didn't have their full roster but they had a fair bit of it and were actually semi-competitive in multiplayer for a while I think. Other bits like the Wood Elf forest were just blank on release, they didn't have any provinces there. And Norsca's roster was essentially a super-limited Chaos one, although with unique buildings.

For TWW2, the approach has been to have the areas on the map but occupied by other factions. So the bits where the Tomb Kings will go are held by lore-appropriate vampire factions, who'll probably remain as minor regional enemies for the Tomb Kings come January.

Cocomonk3
Oct 21, 2010
Everyone says that Tyrion's start is easier/better than Teclis, so i thought I'd give it a shot while I wait for Tomb Kings.

Holy poo poo, Tyrion's start is so much better in every way. You start with a Noble, so you can use Influence almost right away and can have non-terrible Lords. There are people to trade with, and you have trade resources available! There's a clear progression of who to fight for the first part of the game, and then you have a nice secure base to go and gently caress around in other parts of the world if you like, or sail north and dunk on Malekith. You don't have to use your Mage to clear Corruption all day long. Your choices in the Influence game can actually matter since those people you piss off are actually nearby.

I've carved out my niche on Ulthuan, and now I just sail out and stomp on people for fun. Better in every way.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cocomonk3 posted:

Everyone says that Tyrion's start is easier/better than Teclis, so i thought I'd give it a shot while I wait for Tomb Kings.

Holy poo poo, Tyrion's start is so much better in every way. You start with a Noble, so you can use Influence almost right away and can have non-terrible Lords. There are people to trade with, and you have trade resources available! There's a clear progression of who to fight for the first part of the game, and then you have a nice secure base to go and gently caress around in other parts of the world if you like, or sail north and dunk on Malekith. You don't have to use your Mage to clear Corruption all day long. Your choices in the Influence game can actually matter since those people you piss off are actually nearby.

I've carved out my niche on Ulthuan, and now I just sail out and stomp on people for fun. Better in every way.

The only problem is Tyrion's only magical power is inducing sleep in the player.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Cocomonk3 posted:

I mean, there’s a reason his start is listed as “Easy”

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

JBP posted:

The only problem is Tyrion's only magical power is inducing sleep in the player.

Send a ship south. Teclis' start is bad enough that more often than not you can confederate him before turn 10.

Now you have magic too.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Few things people didn't mention about Norsca.

- They aren't mutant spawn. They are normal men and women. When a Chaos Invasion isn't happening they trade with the Southern Humans and intermingle just fine. You see a lot of Norsca sailors in Marienburg, or Norsca adults looking for work in Praag.

- They don't see themselves as worshipping the "Chaos Gods" the Empire is so angry about. Many worship Empire gods ( Ulric, Taal, even Sigmar ) alongside the Hound, Serpent and Crow. Hound is not your Khorne! Hound is Hound!

- Chaos Invasions happen every thousand years or so. This is the only time Norsca comes out to fight. It is not all of Norsca though, only the most devoted. So a Norscan in Praag would likely either leave or help the people of Praag fight Chaos. Because the issue for Norscans is that the Chaos Gate is in fantasy North Pole, and it drives them slightly crazy. During Invasions that Chaos Gate is pumping out energy and driving them to fight

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also the Norscans are only where they are because Sigmar exiled them for refusing to bow to him back during his conquests. The first Everchosen was a Norscan who united the Norse around 'Hey gently caress that rear end in a top hat who left us in a frozen hellhole to die' named Morkhar the United. Sigmar basically made one of his peoples' own biggest problems by accidentally exiling a ton of people straight into the path of horror radiation.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
On a tangent, going off someone mentioning it earlier:

STALKER's Zone has an equivalent in Warhammer Fantasy: Mordheim, Ostland's former capital that caught a direct hit from a Warpstone meteorite (that locals mistook as the twin-tailed comet), turning it into a hellish urban wasteland that is also one of the most profitable places to loot for adventurers and their ilk. Since Warpstone distorts and corrupts whatever is exposed to it with enough time or proximity, both the land and its denizens are dangerous, and that doesn't even include the various warbands of adventurers from all over the Old World that fight with each other over Warpstone deposits in the area. And demand for Warpstone is always high: apart from Skaven using it in every part of their civilization, it is also valuable for magic-users, which includes the numerous wizards in the Empire.

Sadly it's not included in any Warhammer campaign, but if it does end up being included one day, I wonder how valuable it'll be to whoever tames it...

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

The lore reason is that Norsca is just closer to the chaos wastes and therefore more affected by the creeping corruption of chaos. Norscans aren't inherently evil but a lot of them worship gods that are thinly-veiled versions of the Chaos gods (the Hound is Khorne, the Eagle is Tzeentch, etc). Some of them also worship the same gods as some of the Empire, but that's not represented in the game.

aren't there non-evil chaos gods or aspects of chaos gods that "good" norscans worship, like Ulric or the martial-prowess/honor aspects only of Khorne or something?

would make for a nice change for chaos, the non-destructive aspect of it fighting against the obvious "AAAAAAAAAAAhAhAhAHAhaHAhahAHAHAHA BURN IT ALL" lunacy

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Technically the Chaos Gods weren't all Grimdork in some of the older publications, but GW gradually stripped both Fantasy and 40K of nuance, making their destruction of WFRP actually a blessing in disguise, given we are getting cool games and even a new edition of the RPG all set before the End of Times with relatively minimal Games Workshop micromanagement and without the entire setting being End of Times stupid.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Technically the Chaos Gods weren't all Grimdork in some of the older publications, but GW gradually stripped both Fantasy and 40K of nuance, making their destruction of WFRP actually a blessing in disguise, given we are getting cool games and even a new edition of the RPG all set before the End of Times with relatively minimal Games Workshop micromanagement and without the entire setting being End of Times stupid.

Yeah, og WHFB Khorne was Blood but also Honor. Tzeentch was Change but also Hope. Slaanesh was Excess but also Love. Nurgle was Health.

So you had Empire Swordsmen praying to Khorne for Honor in battle alongside Sigmar/Ulric. If your family was starving you might pray to Tzeentch for Hope, if you fancied someone you might pray to Slaneesh for luck in Love.

It's why they were so corrupting and Witch Hunters were so needed. Because nobody is going to pray to a sex demon or a fat disease creature. But to pray for health? For love? Sure.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Warhammer Fantasy survives as a bunch of floating football pitches in space, ran by a fickle god of luck. I am okay with this.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It's also worth pointing out that the reason the north and south poles are full of crazy demons in the Warhammer universe is because they used to have neat warp gates built at them by space gods, allowing for travel to other planets or whatever. These blew up at one point and started dumping distilled Warp energy, which is what Chaos gods and magic seem to be made out of. The physical form of the Warp is Warpstone and demons.

Rookersh posted:

Few things people didn't mention about Norsca.

- They aren't mutant spawn. They are normal men and women. When a Chaos Invasion isn't happening they trade with the Southern Humans and intermingle just fine. You see a lot of Norsca sailors in Marienburg, or Norsca adults looking for work in Praag.

- They don't see themselves as worshipping the "Chaos Gods" the Empire is so angry about. Many worship Empire gods ( Ulric, Taal, even Sigmar ) alongside the Hound, Serpent and Crow. Hound is not your Khorne! Hound is Hound!

- Chaos Invasions happen every thousand years or so. This is the only time Norsca comes out to fight. It is not all of Norsca though, only the most devoted. So a Norscan in Praag would likely either leave or help the people of Praag fight Chaos. Because the issue for Norscans is that the Chaos Gate is in fantasy North Pole, and it drives them slightly crazy. During Invasions that Chaos Gate is pumping out energy and driving them to fight

This is kind of true for a lot of Norscans, but not all of them. In ~the lore~ that I've read the term Norscan doesn't really exist outside of the Empire and other southern realms, the people in the north are a bunch of different tribes and petty kingdoms. The ones in the south of Norsca, along the coast, are pretty normal, but as you go further and further north things start to get more metal, until you get to the actual chaos wastes where you start to run into mutant charioteers being pulled around by demons.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 28, 2017

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I don't really use chariots in the game, but, they are all, without exception. Extremely metal.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm pretty sure my marauder dudes chant NORSCA as a battle cry.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Southpaugh posted:

I don't really use chariots in the game, but, they are all, without exception. Extremely metal.

Even things largely immune to Chaos become more metal the longer they are exposed to the Warp. A Chameleon Skink that was sucked into the Warp around the time that the Vortex was created and basically goes full rambo for the next 7,000 years until he managed to find a way out, then proceeded to kill demons back in the mortal world until it blew up, at which point he traveled into space and became an anti-demon with lightning for blood.

Fangz posted:

I'm pretty sure my marauder dudes chant NORSCA as a battle cry.

They do. :shrug:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
The greatest crime CA have made is that when i select a unit of Knights of the Realm to order them into another glorious charge, they don't sometimes answer back with a suspiciously high-pitched "Knights of the Realm!"

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

Even things largely immune to Chaos become more metal the longer they are exposed to the Warp. A Chameleon Skink that was sucked into the Warp around the time that the Vortex was created and basically goes full rambo for the next 7,000 years until he managed to find a way out, then proceeded to kill demons back in the mortal world until it blew up, at which point he traveled into space and became an anti-demon with lightning for blood.

Out of curiosity, what was his name?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Stephen9001 posted:

Out of curiosity, what was his name?

Oxyotl, who lives on in Age of Sigmar as an unnamed Chameleon Skink Stalker.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

ZearothK posted:

This gets repeated every time the lore is discussed anywhere online and it simply isn't true. Straight from Slaves to Darkness, the very first Chaos sourcebook:

'Khorne is the Power of Chaos in its aspect of mindless and absolute violence, destroying everything and everyone within its reach, slaying both friend and foe alke.'

'He looks with particular favour upon those who take the lives of their friends and allies'

They've always been one dimensional villains and nobody can ever come up with a source for the supposed positive aspects.

[Edit] Tell a lie, apparently the source is the Adeptus Titanicus and Space Marine source books from 1988. Still, it's in direct contradiction to the previous material and to just about everything else ever published. The idea that Khorne is at all honourable in particular just doesn't wash. The Point of him is that he's war stripped of excuses and glorification. You want a god of honour and duty, that's what Sigmar and Ulric are for.

ZeusJupitar fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 28, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Empire used to have a legitimate party god of parties and fun, according to the RPG books, but then someone was like "THAT SOUNDS LIKE SLAANESH" and banned his worship. Which made more and more people turn to Slaanesh as Party God, because they had no source of legitimate parties anymore, and gently caress if people are going to give up parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the warp is full of emotions

the chaos gods warp all positive emotions to negative emotions

there for the chaos gods are responsible for some positive emotions