Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

HopperUK posted:

Congrats! And I love your lipstick, drat. I'm always on the lookout for good purples.
I'll get you the brand when I get home. Unless I forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's interesting to me- both this, and "Day of the Doctor" both probably are the most Important episodes of Moffat's run- and in both of them the main conflict is rather small. A couple of Zygons in the Museum- the life of a single Soldier. And in both cases the Doctor realizes something and makes a very important choice.

One thing I was sort of disappointed with in Capaldi's run, there were very few "The Doctor heads to a planet and there's something wrong and he fixes it" kind of stories. Like just plain being a hero and doing good. But that was sort of the conflict of his era, wasn't it? He wasn't sure he was a hero. He was trying to figure out if his presence in the universe was in fact a net good.

So I like that his final story is deciding, okay, yeah, it's worth continuing. Even if it means surrendering some of who he is now. As long as he can save a life here and there and make things a little better than what they were, that's good.

I'll miss Capaldi a bunch. He was so drat good. It was still a fun show- I'll be hard pressed to ever point to an era of Doctor Who that I thought was actually bad- but I wanted him to be around forever.

But drat that first scene of Whitaker has all the promise in the world. I'm glad that it's inspiring people already. I love that it's "Aw, Brilliant!" I am charmed already.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Edward Mass posted:

FINALLY watched the episode (had to wait for my sister to come to town). I thought it was a good close for Capaldi and Moffat. I don't think we needed the "709 episodes ago" graphic, though.

thrawn527 posted:

Nah, c’mon, that was great. No other show (outside of Soap Operas) can do that.

It's a really cheesy way to link the old and the new, but I think it works when they do it very sparingly and in stories that suit that tone. I think the only times they've done something like it are this time, and with Day of the Doctor starting with the original opening theme.

EDIT: I think it's perfect for this one, though, because how the gently caress else were you going to quantify this one?

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 28, 2017

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

HopperUK posted:

Congrats! And I love your lipstick, drat. I'm always on the lookout for good purples.
Nyx liquid suede. Amethyst. Got it at Target, of all places. Target, P.S., was super awesome. Which is unsurprising as they were the company that started the trans bathroom poo poo by proclaiming that they weren't going to police that, and that the bigots could suck it.

I walked up to the dressing rooms with a CIS woman in tow, her carrying a pile of clothes for me, and the woman straight asked, "And who will be trying these on?" Unprompted. I was wearing dude blue jeans and a white t-shirt. I looked like a dude. She had every reason to make assumptions and didn't. And she gestured me into the ladies' dressing room once we announced who was trying on the clothes.

Anyway, it's good lipstick, and that's where to find it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

Nyx liquid suede. Amethyst. Got it at Target, of all places. Target, P.S., was super awesome. Which is unsurprising as they were the company that started the trans bathroom poo poo by proclaiming that they weren't going to police that, and that the bigots could suck it.

I walked up to the dressing rooms with a CIS woman in tow, her carrying a pile of clothes for me, and the woman straight asked, "And who will be trying these on?" Unprompted. I was wearing dude blue jeans and a white t-shirt. I looked like a dude. She had every reason to make assumptions and didn't. And she gestured me into the ladies' dressing room once we announced who was trying on the clothes.

What a nice story to end the year with, I'm glad Doctor Who made you so happy.

One question about this post though: gendered dressing rooms?

In my country, gendered bathrooms are quite common. But clothes stores tend to have a row of dressing rooms in the back which are just small cubbies with a curtain in front of each one. And that's not a new thing. I've never seen gendered dressing rooms, I don't think anybody ever considered making them gendered here.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Carbon dioxide posted:

What a nice story to end the year with, I'm glad Doctor Who made you so happy.

One question about this post though: gendered dressing rooms?

In my country, gendered bathrooms are quite common. But clothes stores tend to have a row of dressing rooms in the back which are just small cubbies with a curtain in front of each one. And that's not a new thing. I've never seen gendered dressing rooms, I don't think anybody ever considered making them gendered here.

Most retail stores here in the states tend to have Men's and Women's dressing rooms. Although YMMV on if they're two separate banks of rooms, or if it's all one big dressing room area with an arbitrary dividing line down the middle.

And in that second case, I've more than once seen women shown into one of the men's designated dressing rooms if all the women's are full, or vice versa.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

LividLiquid posted:

Thank you! I'm really glad it went so well at Target. You should email the store praising them if you get time - I work retail and it's always nice to get good feedback.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's gendered dressing rooms in my local M&S because the clothes on the floors are gendered, but I think anyone can actually use them.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Two things:

1. Congrats Livid! Thanks for sharing your story and I wish you all the best!

2. That episode was awesome from a non-1-knowing perspective. Then again, I would've been quite pleased with a full special of Capaldi and Bradley bickering so keep that in mind :)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Burkion posted:

I get the sneaking suspicion that Moffat doesn't give a poo poo about the First Doctor or his era

Then that would make it an odd choice to chose to feature One in his final episode...

happyhippy posted:

You know the Doctor just hosed things up for the soldier's family.

The glass people make a copy of you just before you die.
So they will make a copy of the soldier and for the rest of time he thinks he died in that crater.
All is good for the first 50 or so years, until his wife and children die, then they get scanned and they will have different memories.
AND there will be a second copy of the soldier, the one who lived later.
So they all meet up in the glass computer in the sky and there's two soldiers and both havent a clue why there are two of them.

Not to mention The Brig growing uo with a grandfather or uncle he'd previously not known. If he's even born at all! :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Do I have to post the Moffat quotes again

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Did people hate David Bradley's performance in An Adventure in Space and Time? I thought he looks like Hartnell to an uncanny degree.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do I have to post the Moffat quotes again

I think it's pretty firmly established that Moffat likes hearing himself talk. Like, he'll just say what he feels at the moment, and then change his mind after lunch.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

SpaceAceJase posted:

Did people hate David Bradley's performance in An Adventure in Space and Time? I thought he looks like Hartnell to an uncanny degree.

The big difference is that there he's playing William Hartnell - the man - not William Hartnell playing the Doctor (outside of the very brief snippets of episodes we see).

This is him playing the Doctor, and it's a bit odd, as, mostly due to the scripting, it feels very...un-First Doctorish. He comes close, but it still feels a bit off.

Big Finish recently released a First Doctor boxset, with Bradley as the Doctor, and it's a bit better characterised than in TUAT. It's not that Bradley's bad, it's just the same thing as Richard Hurndall - it feels like an impersonation than a performance. On that topic James Dreyfus is pretty good as the First Master - he plays it in a more low-key sinister Delgado type.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Murderion posted:

Y'know, I think the omniscient future computer can handle that one.

It didn't notice the doctor loving with it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I like Bradley, but his cadence is all wrong for the 1st Doctor. He stops in the middle of sentences in a way Hartnell never did.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, what was the point of that? Moffat is really big on introducing a concept and then returning to it with a new perspective and imbuing it with new meaning, it's a part of what makes so many of his other stories have impact and symmetry . It really feels like something was cut there, because they had all these weird, pregnant lines that felt like they ended with an ellipses, and then we never went back there. There's something about the special that felt weirdly unfinished, like there were a bunch of loosely connected concepts thrown together at the last second, like a Terry Nation script.

If it weren't for the fact that there was a lot of time between this and the previous episode and the fact that it has so many Moffat signatures, I'd say it was a franken-script in which someone else's half-finished concept was given to somebody else or there was a rushed deadline. A lot of it felt like it lacked intention and was just trying to hit some of the notes.

After thinking about it for a few minutes, I think the only conclusion that makes any sense is that Moffat figured that if he had the budget of a Christmas show, then he could finally redo the end of The Tenth Planet while in the midst of a current episode. That would explain why not much attention was paid to Ben and Polly despite them being there: so they can be stand-ins so the whole of fandom could finally get the end of The Tenth Planet without waiting around for it. In short, making a Christmas Special that Chris Chibnall couldn't do and make it into a glorified moving reconstruction of a popular missing episode. And it almost worked, aside from Ben and Polly not looking or behaving even remotely the same. The whole thing was basically there to set the existing soundtrack into.

That said, I wonder if we'll get an extended version of this episode now that shows just how much Tenth Planet footage they shot. They definitely made a Cyberman set, so it stands to reason that maybe they filmed the last five to ten minutes of the recap and then cut it for the televised broadcast.

The_Doctor posted:

I like Bradley, but his cadence is all wrong for the 1st Doctor. He stops in the middle of sentences in a way Hartnell never did.

Given how Hartnell used to pepper his performance with little bits of vocal tics and misquotes (well, until he got sick and couldn't help it), I imagine he's harder to mimic than most. As someone said before, any impersonation of the First Doctor is basically impersonating a performance. It's kinda odd that the show has taken great liberties in recasting Hartnell at any opportunity yet don't touch Troughton or Pertwee. I wonder if that's because the character of the First Doctor is seen as such an outlier that enforcing an idea in place of the actual character is preferable?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

happyhippy posted:

You know the Doctor just hosed things up for the soldier's family.

The glass people make a copy of you just before you die.
So they will make a copy of the soldier and for the rest of time he thinks he died in that crater.
All is good for the first 50 or so years, until his wife and children die, then they get scanned and they will have different memories.
AND there will be a second copy of the soldier, the one who lived later.
So they all meet up in the glass computer in the sky and there's two soldiers and both havent a clue why there are two of them.

Eh, it's World War I, the dude is probably dying tomorrow anyway, so it's not really a huge problem. Two copies, sure, but they can probably just scan the (slightly) later version and integrate the (small amount of) memories into the first copy. I'm sure, once they get the second copy they would figure out he's the same guy, the computer seemed pretty smart.

He was in the crater because he was sent over the top. He's probably going over again.

edit: Uh...sorry to gently caress up the happy ending?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zucdAzNi4

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

thrawn527 posted:

Eh, it's World War I, the dude is probably dying tomorrow anyway, so it's not really a huge problem. Two copies, sure, but they can probably just scan the (slightly) later version and integrate the (small amount of) memories into the first copy. I'm sure, once they get the second copy they would figure out he's the same guy, the computer seemed pretty smart.

He was in the crater because he was sent over the top. He's probably going over again.

edit: Uh...sorry to gently caress up the happy ending?

It's WWI

The happy ending never happened.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Burkion posted:

It's WWI

The happy ending never happened.

Nonsense, if World War I were that bad, they wouldn't have set lighthearted comedy series Blackadder Goes Forth during...

watches last episode

...never mind

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

docbeard posted:

Nonsense, if World War I were that bad, they wouldn't have set lighthearted comedy series Blackadder Goes Forth during...

watches last episode

...never mind

I'll have you know most soldiers in WW1 had a jolly old time.

Source: the education secretary, 3 years ago

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'd wager that since their interaction made #1 change his mind and decide to regenerate, which had happened the whole time, that the Captain had actually always survived the whole time, and so the story we saw was just the unfolding of the time line as we know it.

Paradoxes! :spergin:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CommonShore posted:

I'd wager that since their interaction made #1 change his mind and decide to regenerate, which had happened the whole time, that the Captain had actually always survived the whole time, and so the story we saw was just the unfolding of the time line as we know it.

Pair o' Docs!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

CommonShore posted:

*guitar riff of Beethoven’s 5th symphony, first movement*

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Markgatiss/status/946339442473750528

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
god he looks so fuckin happy

so does Gatiss

nerds

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I'm looking very much forward to Whittaker, but drat, will I miss Capaldi.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I hope Peter does come back in a couple of years for a multi-Doctor episode, if not Big Finish. I'm sure his career will be fine in the meantime and he'll get some great projects, but he really seems to love Doctor Who.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That hair is loving majestic.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

god he looks so fuckin happy

so does Gatiss

nerds

I love the fact that it's the jacket from "Planet of the Daleks".

BBC Audio does books on tape of the old Target Novelizations. Michael Stevens, the producer of the range, said he was once contacted by Gatiss who told them that when they got around to doing "Planet", he told he was going to be the reader for it. And, when it came time to do it, Gatiss was indeed, the reader.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What the hell is Gatiss' twitter profile pic?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Amazing, that's what.

As is this :allears:

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

A promo for the new League of Gentlemen episodes, where the cast recreated famous movie scenes. In this case American Beauty.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HappyCamperGL posted:

A promo for the new League of Gentlemen episodes, where the cast recreated famous movie scenes. In this case American Beauty.

Oh my. What the hell did Gatiss and Shearsmith have Papa Lazarou do?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

HappyCamperGL posted:

Wait, there’s new League of Gentlemen episodes coming? This I need to see!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CommonShore posted:

I can't help but (affectionately) gripe about any time the 12th Doctor ends up retroactively affecting something before it. It already takes place in an alternate timeline and the events which caused the creation of the alternate timeline originated themselves within the alternate timeline, and now it turns out the 1st Doctor would have refused to regenerate and died without meeting the 12th Doctor, meaning the original timeline was actually also an alternate timeline caused by the second alternate timeline interacting with the original timeline! My head is exploding!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

2house2fly posted:

I can't help but (affectionately) gripe about any time the 12th Doctor ends up retroactively affecting something before it. It already takes place in an alternate timeline and the events which caused the creation of the alternate timeline originated themselves within the alternate timeline, and now it turns out the 1st Doctor would have refused to regenerate and died without meeting the 12th Doctor, meaning the original timeline was actually also an alternate timeline caused by the second alternate timeline interacting with the original timeline! My head is exploding!

The one good thing that came out of the RTD era -- other than Oxxipation's infinite suffering -- is the show's overt acknowledgement that time travel is a bunch of dumb bullshit and we shouldn't think too hard about it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Edward Mass posted:

Wait, there’s new League of Gentlemen episodes coming? This I need to see!

It's already been on and it was really loving good, with an oddly uplifting message at the end - You can't go back... but you can visit from time to time :shobon:

Everything about this absolutely rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

This is only acceptable if he asked if it was ok to... kiss... peter every few minutes

• Locked thread