Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don’t really know of anywhere in ohio that gets the Steelers games that isn’t geographically closer to Pittsburgh anyway.

And most of those places are getting Pittsburgh’s CBS channel because it’s the closest major metro area. The only place that might have a complaint is the Marietta area but even then it’s predominantly Pittsburgh fans anyway.

Not only that, if you tried to air Browns games there, those people would riot. All along the Ohio River in SE Ohio is Steelers Country.

But I think all of this bullshit is one of the many reasons why NFL ratings are down across the board. I am a college football fan, and armed with nothing more than a WatchESPN and Fox Sports Go capable streaming device and my OTA antenna, I can watch 99.9% of all college football games. I think maybe a few games on Pac 12 Network are the only things out of my reach.

Meanwhile, with the same exact setup I can watch exactly 6 NFL games (and ONLY those 6 games) over the course of 3 different days. And only ever 2 games at once. NFL RedZone and Sunday Ticket are bullshit half-measures. And Sunday Ticket's exclusivity with DirecTV was fine in the beginning before streaming became so popular, but with cord-cutting happening more and more, it's only going to result in more people simply not watching. I have to sign up for a satellite service I don't want AND pay for NFL Sunday Ticket on top of that? No thanks.

More games in front of more eyeballs is what the NFL should be trying to do, but they seem to be perpetually stuck in the early 2000's when they made all these exclusivity deals and didn't have to worry about streaming. In the meantime, Verizon just shelled out $1.5 billion for mobile streaming rights to the NFL just two weeks ago. So the NFL doesn't really need to learn its lesson yet, as long as these dumb media companies keep shelling out cash.

The bubble is going to burst, it just hasn't burst yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

And most of those places are getting Pittsburgh’s CBS channel because it’s the closest major metro area. The only place that might have a complaint is the Marietta area but even then it’s predominantly Pittsburgh fans anyway.

OTA football games here are an atrocious, about equal mix of Steelers/Bengals/Browns games with Ravens games when none of those are playing, a weight towards the Redskins after that, and then maybe the national game eventually. It's god-awful.

Mahoning posted:

Not only that, if you tried to air Browns games there, those people would riot. All along the Ohio River in SE Ohio is Steelers Country.

Oh it used to be Browns and Bengals fans but conveniently they're all Steelers fans now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sportsgenius86 posted:

The biggest crock of poo poo is that the Pirates are still blacked out in Columbus on mlb.tv. Outside of nationally televised games, there’s literally no legal way to watch the Pirates in Columbus without using a VPN. If you get all the sports channels on satellite, they blackout Pirates games there too.

Well, MLB.tv relaxed its blackout rules this year as part of a lawsuit settlement. Now the mlb.tv blackouts don't apply if you actually have a valid cable / satellite subscription.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Is it still impossible to watch baseball from the states of Iowa or Nevada?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Timby posted:

Well, MLB.tv relaxed its blackout rules this year as part of a lawsuit settlement. Now the mlb.tv blackouts don't apply if you actually have a valid cable / satellite subscription.

That's not how that works. It means you can watch your local team if you subscribe to the channel that shows them. No channel in Columbus shows the Pirates, so you can't subscribe to it, so you can't watch it on MLB TV either.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Not to mention there is no streaming app for the channel that shows the Pirates last I checked. Like, I’m in Pirates/Indians territory and I can use my parents DirecTV login to watch the Tribe on Fox Sports Go, but there is literally no streaming solution for the Pirates. So I cannot watch the Pirates unless I go to a bar or go to my parents house. As a Reds fan it’s infuriating since they play the Pirates a lot. Thank god the Reds aren’t worth watching much.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Is MLB.tv owned by Disney/ESPN now? Disney bought a controlling interest in BAMTech, the streaming company that was spun off from MLB Advanced Media, and ESPN plans on rolling out a new sports streaming service next year, including baseball games, but I can't figure out if they bought MLB.tv itself.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bip Roberts posted:

Is it still impossible to watch baseball from the states of Iowa or Nevada?

As far as I know they still black out almost literally every single Midwestern team in iowa for some reason

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

The Pussy Boss posted:

Is MLB.tv owned by Disney/ESPN now? Disney bought a controlling interest in BAMTech, the streaming company that was spun off from MLB Advanced Media, and ESPN plans on rolling out a new sports streaming service next year, including baseball games, but I can't figure out if they bought MLB.tv itself.

No. BAMTech is 15% owned by MLBAM (which is 100% owned by the 30 MLB teams), but other than that they are separate entities. I think that, while they share technology because they were once the same entity, the breakdown now is MLBAM does all of MLB.tv and BAMTech does all of the outsourced stuff than MLBAM used to do like WWE Network, Watch ESPN, HBO Go/Now, Playstation Vue, etc.

edit: How about the irony that Major League Baseball was the most forward thinking sports league when it came to streaming online? So much so that huge media conglomerates came to them to provide their streaming solutions. Baseball is still backwards in a lot of ways (not the least of which is blackout areas) but holy poo poo did they hit a homerun in that department.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 28, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I know NHL and NBA followed suit into streaming. NHL has blackout rules for local games but NHL.tv is pretty much "hey, here's all the games!"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

iospace posted:

I know NHL and NBA followed suit into streaming. NHL has blackout rules for local games but NHL.tv is pretty much "hey, here's all the games!"

Yeah, the NHL just threw their money at MLB and asked them to do it. But BAMTech does NHL now.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
A quick reminder with all this talk of blackouts is that no football of any kind (even European football) can be shown in the uk between 2:45pm and 5:15pm on a Saturday. This led in the past to the frankly ridiculous broadcast of a Real Madrid vs Barcelona game which kicked off at 5pm, where the first fifteen minutes consisted of nothing but a shot of the half-time pundits watching the game on tablets (turned away from the cameras) and commentating on it until 5:15

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

A quick reminder with all this talk of blackouts is that no football of any kind (even European football) can be shown in the uk between 2:45pm and 5:15pm on a Saturday. This led in the past to the frankly ridiculous broadcast of a Real Madrid vs Barcelona game which kicked off at 5pm, where the first fifteen minutes consisted of nothing but a shot of the half-time pundits watching the game on tablets (turned away from the cameras) and commentating on it until 5:15

lmao, what the reason for that? Drunken hooligans?

BAMTech

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

lmao, what the reason for that? Drunken hooligans?

BAMTech

allow me to quote Wikipedia:

"In the 1960s, Burnley F.C. Chairman Bob Lord successfully convinced fellow Football League Chairmen that televised matches on a Saturday afternoon would have a negative effect on the attendances of other football league games that were not being televised and as a result reduce their financial income.

As a result, the FA, Premier League and Football League do not permit English matches to be televised live between 2:45pm and 5:15pm on a Saturday within the United Kingdom. Until recently, the FA Cup Final was an exception and had been broadcast at 3pm on a Saturday in May; however, in 2012, the FA Cup Final was moved to 5pm."

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

lol what the heck

that's the most interesting nonsense I've learned this week thank you

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It’s kind of like New York Giants fans having to rent a hotel room in Connecticut to see their team on TV.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

EvanTH posted:

lol what the heck

that's the most interesting nonsense I've learned this week thank you

it's really not going to matter as pretty soon the Premier League is going to have 9 potential live broadcast windows, so only one game will be played at 3pm on a Saturday

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

It’s kind of like New York Giants fans having to rent a hotel room in Connecticut to see their team on TV.

yea that's definitely one explanation for when married guys get caught with hotel receipts.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Premier League is like MLB in that I, an Australian can watch every game under the sun at all times where as people living in the country that the sport originates cannot.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

https://deadspin.com/why-wont-the-fcc-let-orphan-counties-watch-their-local-1821328307

This is an interesting article about Western Massachussets, where they don't get Patriots games on TV due to being close to Albany. There are also some other examples:

It's a bit confusing and there doesn't seem to be a solution coming any time soon.

reminds me of how the cbs station in orlando would apologize because they were forced to air jaguars games

https://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2013/09/15/jacksonville-jaguars-broadcast-apology

also i've seen stuff on how harrisburg pa is forced to air ravens games

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Somebody used to publish those maps every week with a breakdown by county of which NFL games you were getting, but I haven't seen one in a while. I guess because of Red Zone and Sunday Ticket.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

That's not how that works. It means you can watch your local team if you subscribe to the channel that shows them. No channel in Columbus shows the Pirates, so you can't subscribe to it, so you can't watch it on MLB TV either.

Yep. I can watch with my parents cable login because they get Root Pittsburgh but there’s no way at all for me to watch without that.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

Somebody used to publish those maps every week with a breakdown by county of which NFL games you were getting, but I haven't seen one in a while. I guess because of Red Zone and Sunday Ticket.

http://506sports.com/nfl/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Looks like the long suffering Citizens of Western Massachusetts will get their patriots game this week.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

The 506 forums are full of....special people. Autistic Savants if you will. If someone confuses the 2011 Week 12 late-game on CBS with the 2012 Week 14 late-game on CBS, they will mock you.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I wouldn't want to have to look that closely at the Orioles, either.

https://twitter.com/masnSteve/status/947665825238044673

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

re: blackout chat. Cuyahoga County (the one that houses Cleveland) does not show Penguins games due to blackout restrictions on NHL.tv. Summit County (the one that houses Akron) does show Penguins games. I learned that when I moved last year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hockles posted:

re: blackout chat. Cuyahoga County (the one that houses Cleveland) does not show Penguins games due to blackout restrictions on NHL.tv. Summit County (the one that houses Akron) does show Penguins games. I learned that when I moved last year.

Good, gently caress the penguins.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Who is the favored hockey team of Cleveland? They’re pretty equidistant from Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Columbus.

I forget who the Lake Erie Monsters are affiliated with.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Who is the favored hockey team of Cleveland? They’re pretty equidistant from Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Columbus.

Monsters are a Jackets affiliate.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

the Barons :rip:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

They changed their name to be the Cleveland Monsters before the start of last season, much to the chagrin of the fans, and they changed their color scheme to match up more with the Cavs than before. The Monsters are owned by Dan Gilbert, who also owns the Cavs, so that makes a bit of sense. The Monsters switched from being the AHL affiliate of the Avalanche to the Blue Jackets before the 15-16 season, and won the Calder Cup (AHL's Stanley Cup) that same year. As for the favored hockey team, it is pretty split between being a Blue Jackets fan and being a Pens fan. Most people my age grew up without an NHL team, and the Penguins would occasionally play the Red Wings in pre-season games in Cleveland. The Monsters get no coverage locally, and only have 6 TV games all year; and the Blue Jackets get 0 coverage outside of their games and pre-game show.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/948992399019257856

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtB3YSdLQR4&t=798s

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
Number one show in late night, ballbags!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Katie Nolan calling Tom Brady simple in that interview goes so well with the ESPN report that came out today

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Number 1 Jamiroquai Fan Katie Nolan

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Certain groups on Twitter are real mad about Katie Nolan for that interview.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What exactly is her job at ESPN other than the upcoming podcast?

also lol
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/949419002442534912

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lmao at least they didnt go with retard like she originally said.