Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Why are people saying the first mario rabbids midboss is unfair?
Twas nothing with high ground and shields

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

No part of Mario x Rabbids is unfair, in fact most of it is very easy.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

bladeworksmaster posted:

Cmoooon Tropical Freeze re-release......

cmoooon Wave Race and F-Zero

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ok good, i was reading last night about people quitting over the piranha plant and im scratching my head

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Real hurthling! posted:

Ok good, i was reading last night about people quitting over the piranha plant and im scratching my head

Usually this is a case of Mad Because Bad

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

Huh how does that work? I know a browser pops up if you try and connect to a router from your Switch with a login page and even though there's no address bar I figured it would be pretty easy to flash router firmware to redirect you to Google or something if you really wanted that for some reason

The 1.0.0 firmware that was shipped couldn't connect to anything requiring a login page. Those with launch firmware consoles would need Japanese Puyo Puyo Tetris to launch the browser. Later firmware could of course just do a redirect for the browser to appear.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

IcePhoenix posted:

Usually this is a case of Mad Because Bad

Some people really don't click with how Mario×Rabbids works. I watched some streams/played some with my brother and it was absolutely painful.

The way movement works especially seems to throw people off

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zore posted:

Some people really don't click with how Mario×Rabbids works. I watched some streams/played some with my brother and it was absolutely painful.

The way movement works especially seems to throw people off

A lot of this, at least from what I've watched, is people expecting it to work one way because that's how they want it to work and then getting frustrated and mad because they didn't pay attention to the game telling them how it actually works so they have no idea why they can't get it to work how they think it should.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Has anyone bought or played with the insignia portable dock they sell at Best Buy? Looks like a decent portable solution and at a glance it’s got good reviews?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
When is Nintendo going to tell us what's coming out next year?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Guy Goodbody posted:

When is Nintendo going to tell us what's coming out next year?

Next year. Rumor is there will be a January direct.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

hi I'm from Nintendo, I regret to inform the thread that we will not be releasing any games next year, please look forward to 2019.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Leaked EA press material confirmed it, I believe?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BisterdDave posted:

Next year. Rumor is there will be a January direct.

They’ll announce the Switch was too successful and as such they’ve decide to shut down the entire division to focus on the 2DS.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 28, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They’ll announce the Switch was too successful and as such they’ve decide to poo poo down the entire division to focus on the 2DS.

please don't leak our corporate secrets, this was supposed to be in the january direct.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Phantasium posted:

hi I'm from Nintendo, I regret to inform the thread that we will not be releasing any games next year, please look forward to 2019.

Please understand.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Is there any word on if Nintendo will be bringing some kind of Streetpass functionality or anything to the Switch?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DLC Inc posted:

they wasted an incredible idea for Mario Party on WiiU, because Bowser Party Mode would have worked on the Switch as well and probably sold a lot more.

How would it have worked on the Switch without requiring two consoles? Bowser Party is dependent on the gamepad.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BisterdDave posted:

Is there any word on if Nintendo will be bringing some kind of Streetpass functionality or anything to the Switch?

No. They straight up said it wasn’t returning along with Miiverse. I’ll really miss it whenever Animal Crossing Switch comes out. I love checking out stranger’s houses on New Leaf.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
People ITT seem to think the Switch works identically to the WiiU except you can also bring the tablet part wherever you want.

It comes up weirdly often and makes me think the WiiU probably could have done well if it had been marketed better and had more power for easier ports.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Captain Oblivious posted:

I will never really understand Japan's love of Dragon Quest.

It's a basic solid gameplay formula wrapped up in nicely designed worlds with charming characters and goofy looking monsters, and if you mash A enough you'll eventually win no matter what.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I really get the impression that the switch is what everyone expected and wanted the wii u to be.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zore posted:

People ITT seem to think the Switch works identically to the WiiU except you can also bring the tablet part wherever you want.

It comes up weirdly often and makes me think the WiiU probably could have done well if it had been marketed better and had more power for easier ports.

I'm still not sure why they packaged the Wii U with a Wii instead of just letting you sync it with your existing Wii.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zore posted:

The marketing for it, what little there was, made it just seem like an addon to the Wii, so yeah, their marketing really couldn't have been much worse.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

The marketing for it, what little there was, made it just seem like an addon to the Wii, so yeah, their marketing really couldn't have been much worse.

It also focused on family fun which is very dumb for selling a cool tech device to early adopters and the reason all the switch launch ads featured single adults

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm still not sure why they packaged the Wii U with a Wii instead of just letting you sync it with your existing Wii.

not sure if kidding

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Xeno2 got better and is now Good

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
God drat I have 1 moon left and it's the koopa race in Wooded Kingdom. I have no idea how to properly do the extended hat jump in order to cross the final gap to the finish line.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BisterdDave posted:

God drat I have 1 moon left and it's the koopa race in Wooded Kingdom. I have no idea how to properly do the extended hat jump in order to cross the final gap to the finish line.

Watch a YouTube vid on someone finishing that challenge.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Look for the world record clips, actually. They’re always fun and cool ways to see someone absolutely break the movement system.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Watch a YouTube vid on someone finishing that challenge.

I instead watched a video on how to do the extra hat jump. Got the moon!

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Hello friendos!

I caved and bought a Switch today for £220, and I also got Mario: Throw Hats and Arms.

They’re very cool.

What are other good games to pick up, bearing in mind I have a PS4 and used to have an Xbone so have probably played all the multi platform stuff (although I bought Enter The Gungeon again because that’s a loving cool game)?

Also is it worth buying a Rocket League again to clown on kids or is the community still way better than me (I’m not great).

Thanks!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Rocket league has cross console play so prepare to get dunked on over and over again by da pros

Absolutely worth having it on switch for the asking price though, such an incredible game to kick back on the couch with

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KingSlime posted:

Rocket league has cross console play so prepare to get dunked on over and over again by da pros

Absolutely worth having it on switch for the asking price though, such an incredible game to kick back on the couch with

I think you can choose to just play with Switch people so maybe that’s a better idea before jumping into cross play games.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh really? Cool! I need to poke around the menus more, I always jump right into a match whenever I boot it up

Also, time spent getting dunked on is time spent getting gud. Pretty solid philosophy to carry both in and out of gaming contexts :shrug:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah cross-platform is an option. Rocket League in handheld owns. I’m absolutely loving terrible at it, though. Is there a guide on how not to whiff balls and get scored on constantly?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

There’s no gyro fine tuning for trick shocks or some poo poo. Shake to back flip

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Idk about y'all but to me rocket league is the closest I've managed to get a video game to emulate the exact thrills and emotions you get from team based sports hijinks in the "real world"

FIFA, Madden, all those games are for sports nerds, not people who want to feel like they're actually playing a sport. I hate them. But rocket league?? Oh man

It's pure and "clean" team based mayhem that reminds me of having impromptu soccer matches with the other idiot kids in the ol neighborhood. Get a group of irl friends in a party, throw in the inevitable trash talking, and you are set for a jolly good time

Gaming is so good these days

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

KingSlime posted:

Idk about y'all but to me rocket league is the closest I've managed to get a video game to emulate the exact thrills and emotions you get from team based sports hijinks in the "real world"

FIFA, Madden, all those games are for sports nerds, not people who want to feel like they're actually playing a sport. I hate them. But rocket league?? Oh man

It's pure and "clean" team based mayhem that reminds me of having impromptu soccer matches with the other idiot kids in the ol neighborhood. Get a group of irl friends in a party, throw in the inevitable trash talking, and you are set for a jolly good time

Gaming is so good these days

Nah totally, 100%. RL is amazing. I've never put so much time into a game (370+ hours on PC, 25+ on Switch now). It's great to watch too, the official esport and the comp scene in general.

Couple general beginner tips for the thread: Turn screen shake off, turn rumble off, make your car look fabulous, play casual matches, do the built-in training regimens sometime. Definitely set up your quickchat preferences beforehand. There is text chat bound to the - button but memorize your dpad quickchats asap.

Manky fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Oxenfree was good for 5 bucks. The game has strange stutters though and the load times are excrutiating, especially when you're going around collecting the lore.

• Locked thread