Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

people seem to be suggesting that platonic solids with rounded edges are not the correct form factor for all objects in the universe, please report to your local apple town square [chicago branch excepted] for education

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
another apple thermal design problem

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

let me help you parse this by rearranging some words

it will be available world wide from the end of january (2018) to the end of december 2018, at which point the offer will end and the replacement battery will go back to being $79

so you read it correctly, i just don't know where your surprise falls into things here.

The battery is only 79 bucks? So this whole thing was people who could afford a 1000 dollar phone whining that they didn't want to pay 80 dollars for a battery and therefore Apple should defy physics to extend their battery life without decreasing performance? Apple users are fuckin babies apparently.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cis autodrag posted:

The battery is only 79 bucks? So this whole thing was people who could afford a 1000 dollar phone whining that they didn't want to pay 80 dollars for a battery and therefore Apple should defy physics to extend their battery life without decreasing performance? Apple users are fuckin babies apparently.

tbf it seems they will in some cases refuse to replace the battery, at least according to people in this thread. also, they were mad because apple didn't tell them to go get their battery swapped until after the throttling kicked in, because they totally wouldn't have thrown a tantrum over their phone telling them their battery is dying while it still appeared to work.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shaggar posted:

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

tbf it seems they will in some cases refuse to replace the battery, at least according to people in this thread. also, they were mad because apple didn't tell them to go get their battery swapped until after the throttling kicked in, because they totally wouldn't have thrown a tantrum over their phone telling them their battery is dying while it still appeared to work.

also loads of apple employees in this very thread have claimed old device slowdown was because the old cpus just cant deal with the newer oses.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

also loads of apple employees in this very thread have claimed old device slowdown was because the old cpus just cant deal with the newer oses.

yes, that can also be a factor. it turns out more than one thing can affect device performance

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
in either case the problem is bad software

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shaggar posted:

in either case the problem is bad software

yes we all remember windows vista

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

cis autodrag posted:

the cost wasn't the hang up, it was that there was no way to know whether you should get a battery replacement or not. it sucks always wondering "is my phone slow because iOS is poo poo now or is my phone throttled and $80 will fix it? :iiam: "

you could bring your phone into an Apple store and the tech would say "no battery problems at all! green light!" even though the phone was throttled. I've seen a few people claim that Apple techs really tried to talk them out of paying for a battery replacement, which makes sense because from them tech's perspective every test they have is indicating that the battery is fine and a replacement is a waste of money.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

lol. I remember on the original mac you put a frying pan on the top and fry an egg because it got so goddamn hot

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shaggar posted:

yeah they could throw up some gutters on there in an afternoon and it would be all set.

they're holding out until 2018 so it'll match the upcoming MBP with Touch Gutters™️

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
80 dollars for a battery replacement is also a real hang up for people who monthly pay for the iphones

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’m surprised we haven’t heard about design problems in the new Apple campus yet

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

The Management posted:

I’m surprised we haven’t heard about design problems in the new Apple campus yet

what do you mean, there were definitely entire articles about how everything being insanely bespoke and tight fitting caused doors to jam etc

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

people were bitching about lovely open floor plan stuff but that's lovely by design so I don't think it counts

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The Management posted:

everyone who works there is probably under NDA to not complain about anything

to be serious though I definitely remember that during the first event at the ~~steve jobs theater~~ it had just rained and they had to station apple people every 4 feet to watch for anyone falling down because the polished granite sidewalk or whatever was insanely slippery

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh yeah lmao @ that

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Linguica posted:

to be serious though I definitely remember that during the first event at the ~~steve jobs theater~~ it had just rained and they had to station apple people every 4 feet to watch for anyone falling down because the polished granite sidewalk or whatever was insanely slippery

yep, but that’s minor. my money was on the hvac system not working

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

The Management posted:

Actual design problem -- the campus's reflection of Apple's corporate values.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

yep, but that’s minor. my money was on the hvac system not working

it’ll work but it’ll keep the interior at exactly the maximum legally allowed temperature

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

until someone lets a cat in

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

people were bitching about lovely open floor plan stuff but that's lovely by design so I don't think it counts

Quick reminder if your work has private offices and you don’t have one you’re expendable scum.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You can put Now Playing in the dock and get to it by pressing the side button.

Or put the Now Playing complication on a face with a bottom complication area and tap that.

Or go to Settings - General - Wake Screen in the Watch app and turn on Auto-launch Audio Apps to have controls always pop up automatically when you play music on your phone (which is kind of annoying).

thanks, I was aware of these but I still think they are all more annoying than the simple swipe in the previous watchOS. I’ll try a complication, it’s just the watch faces I like don’t use complications so I haven’t really tried that

The dock keeps changing apps depending on recently used etc so to me it’s confusing on the go, and the last option was too annoying so I turned it off.

anyway this is all subjective, in my opinion the watch loving sucks, and I’ve given it a very fair shake. some things improved but a few details have gotten worse with every release, feels like they’ve got no loving clue what works and what doesn’t. they should’ve started with no app screen and designed from there, IMO

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

80 dollars for a battery replacement is also a real hang up for people who monthly pay for the iphones

those people get a new phone every year so why would they encounter a problem for geriatric batteries

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

you aren’t allowed to have your own mini fridge or coffee maker in the new campus, you have to use the official apple ones in the official kitchen area

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Apples campus coffee is loving trash compared to my old job btw. Apple comes up short on a lot of amenities for some reason given they have like 1000x the cash on hand as my last gig.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

cis autodrag posted:

Apples campus coffee is loving trash compared to my old job btw. Apple comes up short on a lot of amenities for some reason given they have like 1000x the cash on hand as my last gig.

the articles gushed about the cafeteria and how it had all kinds of food available and stuff, with specially designed round boxes for pizzas and all that

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

the articles gushed about the cafeteria and how it had all kinds of food available and stuff, with specially designed round boxes for pizzas and all that

Food services is another thing I think they do worse lol. The major reason to work there is salary and rsus imo.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

this depends greatly on which cafe you go to, though the main two and my building’s are quite good, not just OK

same with the coffee bars

the robot coffee machines though, ugh

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

cool startup feel posted:

How much does it cost to go to the android store for a battery replacement

its free

(the android store is the dumpster)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

zen death robot posted:

the number of people in yospos who are mystified by snow and ice is worrisome

all i know about snow and ice is that it happens in places that are too cold to live.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

poty posted:

its free

(the android store is the dumpster)

this is all office coffee, though the automated units in one of our offices ground the coffee fresh so it was bad beans but better than the bags they used to use. now i have those instant pouches so its like a k cup minus the k and the cup. they are a special kind of new bad that i didnt think office coffee could be

the right solution is to drink lots of free and delicious water

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Agile Vector posted:

this is all office coffee, though the automated units in one of our offices ground the coffee fresh so it was bad beans but better than the bags they used to use. now i have those instant pouches so its like a k cup minus the k and the cup. they are a special kind of new bad that i didnt think office coffee could be

the right solution is to drink lots of free and delicious water

Epic had a house blend custom made by a local coffee roaster and it was genuinely delicious. It was called Make It So blend.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Agile Vector posted:

this is all office coffee

Nah. My office's automatic cappuccino/espresso machine makes a great americano.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

nah, the whole thing was that apple seems to have failed to inform people that this battery management solution existed, and thus that battery replacement was an actually effective way to maintain device performance. should have been fine print somewhere, and support should have suggested battery replacement for performance complaints, just enough that to make it somewhat discoverable

for all i know the fine print existed, but i alluded to it before and haven't heard any suggestion there was anything discoverable for even insistent users, which would make it pretty stupid and negligent

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Last Chance posted:

i don't have much issue with the watchOS user interface, but by god they've slowed down my apple watch series 2 to irritating levels with the newest watchOS.

your watch battery is dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

cis autodrag posted:

Epic had a house blend custom made by a local coffee roaster and it was genuinely delicious. It was called Make It So blend.

i heard about golden handcuffs but golden coffee cups is a first