Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

multijoe posted:

Hi thread, just starting with this game and my colonists are starving because they can't prepare any meals. I've already googled this issue and it appears my commands are set up correctly but I'm still unable to cook, would anyone advise?

I have a fueled stove supplied with fuel, I have all my colonists enabled to cook, I have 40 units of fresh venison in my stockpile zone and I have a bill for one serving of ingredient-agnostic simple food on the stove. Despite this any colonist I try to assign to cooking gets 'Cannot cook fueled stove (needs materials)' when I try to make them cook, is there any reason this might be?
Ingredients are forbidden
Ingredients are reserved
Stove is unfueled
Venisson isn't checked in bill
Cook isn't in allowed skill range for bill
Ingrediants aren't within ingredient radius of bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Fine/lavish meal bill with only venison available?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay, I've confirmed the meat is not reserved, the bill definitely has meat enabled, the stove is fueled, my colonists are otherwise fine to haul for other tasks and they are qualified to make a simple meal and I've moved the meat so it is directly next to the stove. Still no luck.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Show a screenshot of the bill details please.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Show a screenshot of the bill details please.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Now show us your venison. Do you have a butcher table? Edit: I see it there in the upper right, with the 25 meat units in the inventory.

Edit: hell show us your base.

Edit: Is diver hungry and going after the raw food chunks?

GodspeedSphere fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 28, 2017

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Diver's gone crazy from eating raw meat, some of the raw venison had since been given to my prisoner who I've now released so I now have all 40 units of venison again

Here's the venison:

highlighting the stove:

and the stove itself:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

multijoe posted:

Diver's gone crazy from eating raw meat, some of the raw venison had since been given to my prisoner who I've now released so I now have all 40 units of venison again

Here's the venison:

highlighting the stove:

and the stove itself:

Your stove is backwards, that circle is the crafting spot.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

AceClown posted:

lmao fantastic

Thanks, that's a lesson well learnt

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

multijoe posted:

lmao fantastic

Thanks, that's a lesson well learnt

Build a nice chair for your crafting stations, too. Pawns get things done more efficiently when they're comfortable and happy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AceClown posted:

New thread title.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay, I've created a new colony with fully functioning stoves and seating, the layout is much lighter and the colony is functioning much more smoothly. I'm concerned by by slowly diminishing supplies. If worst came to worst how traumatised would my colonists be if I butchered by currently uncompliant prisoner?

For reference:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

multijoe posted:

Okay, I've created a new colony with fully functioning stoves and seating, the layout is much lighter and the colony is functioning much more smoothly. I'm concerned by by slowly diminishing supplies. If worst came to worst how traumatised would my colonists be if I butchered by currently uncompliant prisoner?

For reference:

Butchering and eating people produces a pretty significant malus. You can release the prisoner to stretch out supplies more, but your food should last long enough to get a rice harvest going.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

multijoe posted:

how traumatised would my colonists be if I butchered by currently uncompliant prisoner?

Considerably. I think it's -5 for killing an "innocent" prisoner, -6 for butchered humanlike and then -20 each time they have to eat a cooked human meal (25 for raw).

You should be able to squeeze by growing rice on the rich soil and harvesting berries.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You've got live animals nearby - draft your colonists with guns and do some manual hunting. Don't rely on the individual pawns to hunt effectively in early game, in my opinion. Let the dead or near dead animal lie, move onto the next. Your non-drafted colonists that can haul or cook can come after them and pick up the bodies, then when you're done have the recently undrafted carry something back.

And unless you're planting in gravel, use rice or corn. Potatoes to me just aren't that worth it in standard soil.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Update: My dudes have avoided starvation by slaughtering a pack of rampaging beavers and they have successful integrated their prisoner into colonist society. They are now producing a large food surplus though due to poor food bill construction they did produce a huge excess of simple meals that are now spoiling in the larder, which apparently isn't refrigerated despite coolers being built in there. Next up it looks like they're going to have to start a proper industrial base?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also they've tamed a squirrel and a buck self-tamed and now they're both wandering freely about the house

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
passive coolers like you have in the larder won't keep things below something like 20C. they are for avoiding heatstroke without electricity.

you need actual active coolers to set up a freezer, and those are basically wall mounted AC units. alternately, research and make pemmican, which will last about a year unrefrigerated.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Be careful of aligning rooms to bedrooms so that in order to get out of their bedroom, they need to go through someone else's. The sleeping colonists will get the "Disturbed Sleep" mod debuff.

You can also consider bringing the dead animal corpses closer to the butcher table, or at least keep them under a roof - the former will minimize cook travel time to get corpses, the latter will keep them from deteriorating (but not from rotting).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Basic foods like rice and corn will keep over winter without preservation, even assuming you don't use the cold weather to keep your food cool too, you just don't want to cook them all up at once. Set up a bill to make a day or two's worth of prepared food and leave the rest as raw food, put it in an unheated shed somewhere and the weather will help preserve it longer. That's ample as long as you can grow more next year. The issue is that if your harvest fails for some reason it creates issues which is, well, how real life works for people in that situation.

You can try to get trade going and produce things to sell, or you can try to get a proper long term freezer going, but tribals will basically have food insecurity as a thing they have to live with.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 28, 2017

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay, I'm bulk producing Pemmican throughout the day, though I'm still losing huge quantities of food to decay. I don't have electricity yet so freezers are not an option. I've also started building a separate dormitory building to house the colonists in spacious, isolated rooms.

Also, is there any way to manually place items? One of my dudes has had a mental break and he's currently starving to death in his room, how can I deliver some food to him?

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

multijoe posted:

Also, is there any way to manually place items? One of my dudes has had a mental break and he's currently starving to death in his room, how can I deliver some food to him?

You can't, at least not in a way that will make him eat it. He'll eventually snap out of it and have to feed himself. The way malnutrition works, if he didn't snap out of it in time he'd collapse from starvation (and then be able to be rescued and fed by a doctor) before he could actually die, so under normal conditions pawns can't fully starve to death by having mental breaks.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You can always try arresting the mental breakee or form a possee and beat them to downed and then rescue them, but those bring problematic interpersonal relationship issues, berserk mental break, and potential loss of limb or life so only use that in catastrophic cases - of which starvation isn’t one.

When they are dying of plague or something and decide to have a mental break and cannot be treated, they get the whoopin’.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

multijoe posted:

Okay, I'm bulk producing Pemmican throughout the day, though I'm still losing huge quantities of food to decay. I don't have electricity yet so freezers are not an option. I've also started building a separate dormitory building to house the colonists in spacious, isolated rooms.

Beat him up then rescue him, feeding him while he's bedbound.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I bodged it in the end by placing a high priority food-only storage zone in his room and delivering meals that way

Also, what the gently caress is up with hares? I left my expert hunter alone for a minute and she's unconscious and bleeding out for ten different hare wounds. I had to muster the entire colony armed with clubs and bows to save her.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Hares in Rimworld are basically the rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

multijoe posted:

Okay, I'm bulk producing Pemmican throughout the day, though I'm still losing huge quantities of food to decay.
yep, welcome to being a tribal! either load up the excess food in caravans to sell it or just live with it until you have electricity.

multijoe posted:

Also, what the gently caress is up with hares? I left my expert hunter alone for a minute and she's unconscious and bleeding out for ten different hare wounds. I had to muster the entire colony armed with clubs and bows to save her.

ahahhahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhaha

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahah

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Unless your food situation is so perilous that the sad wander dumbass WILL starve if he doesn't eat RIGHT NOW, it's usually better to let the morons starve themselves until it ends, so they get the catharsis bonus to give you breathing room to fix whatever broke their fragile goddamn minds in the first place.

Edit: never auto hunt. Draft a couple plebs or the whole colony and have them murder poo poo as a group. It's just not worth the hassle of discovering that one of your hunters ambled halfway across the map to trigger a pack revenge.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 28, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

okay real answer time:

melee is hosed in this game. things do a ton of damage and it's stomach-turningly easy to take major wounds like scars on your goddamn eyes from poo poo like squirrels, hares, etc. if your hunter sucks at melee and the hare closed to melee, she just was not able to tag the hare with a good swat for a while, but the hare got in a good string of hits and took her down.

do a search in this thread for "manhunter" and revel in the stories of colonies past.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Consider getting your hunter a Painstopper

I hate that that is legit advice but for real,

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

lol maybe consider getting electricity first

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Three of my timber wolves have gotten brain damage and has their eyes destroyed from trying to hunt deer in the past year. Deer.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

multijoe posted:

I bodged it in the end by placing a high priority food-only storage zone in his room and delivering meals that way

Hares? You ain't seen poo poo yet. Let me tell you about the real danger in this game.

Squirrels.

Now your average squirrel is fast. Fast and smart. They'll attack when you aren't looking. Run across the entire map in the blink of an eye, and then remove that eye in melee. A manhunter pack of squirrels will swarm a man and reduce them to bones just about the time the screams make it to your ears.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:smugbert: Why don't these tribals just have their parents buy them bionic arms? It's so easy to not be space-poor :smugbert:

but for later when your colony's established :v: hunting is wicked dangerous, and Painstoppers will make your hunters use infinitely more medicine, but you won't end up losing them at least. Plus they'll be better in raids! Painstoppers own

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Never go outside the wire. Hunt with massed artillery strikes like a pro gamer. It pre tenderizes the meat.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

My preferred hunting strategy is toxic fallout.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Oh god, so much food. I planted two big fields of corn and potatoes and now I'm out of space. I'm building a covered dumping ground outside of my compound just to get some space in any of my freezers or regular stockpiles.

This is only a problem since I'm playing on a tile that has year round growing.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Demon_Corsair posted:

Oh god, so much food. I planted two big fields of corn and potatoes and now I'm out of space. I'm building a covered dumping ground outside of my compound just to get some space in any of my freezers or regular stockpiles.

This is only a problem since I'm playing on a tile that has year round growing.
If you have extra food selling cooked meals to any passing trader is a fairly reasonable source of income

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

ShadowHawk posted:

If you have extra food selling cooked meals to any passing trader is a fairly reasonable source of income

A trader willing to buy corn and potatoes came by, so I sold all the stuff that was still sitting in my fields. Now I'm down to 5600 raw veg.

E: I wish they were smart enough to mine without constantly caving the roof in on top of them. I want to just select a pile of poo poo to mine, not have to constantly pick of little pieces so they don't loving crush themselves.

How the gently caress does a 2x2 square of collapse rock collapse again?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Demon_Corsair posted:

A trader willing to buy corn and potatoes came by, so I sold all the stuff that was still sitting in my fields. Now I'm down to 5600 raw veg.

E: I wish they were smart enough to mine without constantly caving the roof in on top of them. I want to just select a pile of poo poo to mine, not have to constantly pick of little pieces so they don't loving crush themselves.

How the gently caress does a 2x2 square of collapse rock collapse again?
Click the show roofs button in the lower right.

To avoid collapse/cave in, there needs to be a continuous connection of roof within 6 tiles of a wall or natural wall.

You can add a "remove roof area" to take down light green roofs (natural rock roof or constructed roof). Otherwise you'll need to add a support pillar.

If you really really want to remove an overhead mountain, you can do it gradually by causing a large number of cave ins. But generally overhead mountain is good, because it's more insulated and immune to mortars, space debris, tornadoes, and drop pods.