Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
There's a fuckton of various never-built Tomcat variants in the DB, from the Super 21 down to less ambitious F-14E upgrades. WarfareSims really loves the Tom as well. I'm not completely sure why the USN moved so completely to Super Hornets (well, actually I do know--JSF--but the details are still kind of puzzling).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

bibliosabreur posted:

I'm not completely sure why the USN moved so completely to Super Hornets (well, actually I do know--JSF--but the details are still kind of puzzling).

Afaik it was more because the F-14 was a big, expensive one-trick-pony of a hangar queen. Just getting more Superbugs and the flexibility and ease of logistics that came with them was considered the better option.

Magni fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 23, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I maintain that Bote is an appropiate name for a merc vessel.

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

I maintain that Bote is an appropiate name for a merc vessel.

A good and clever point! But we should keep such goofy shipnames for vessels that directly belong to HG, like Commodore Hunter's mighty Tokyo Bay Fortress. Why, you may ask?

It's because the Karel Doormans are owned and mostly crewed by the Watergeuzen. These guys are - by all indications and also probably due to the more regimented nature of shipboard life - much more professional fellows than Hayard-Gunnes, and heirs to a centuries-long naval tradition to boot.

HG, on the other hand, is generally depicted as a cartoonishly shoestring outfit who halfass or even quarter-rear end basically everything not directly related to the maintainance, equipping, and operation of the planes themselves.

Tl;dr: please give dumb names for HG's own ships like the ELINT bote and good names for our subcontractors' vessels, because they aren't as much of a careless herd of slackers and will probably laugh in your face anyway. :v:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Also how goes our HUMINT operation of sending in off-duty maintenance personnel to bars wearing Hawaiian shirts claiming to be American tourists?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

wedgekree posted:

Also how goes our HUMINT operation of sending in off-duty maintenance personnel to bars wearing Hawaiian shirts claiming to be American tourists?

It started out well, but corporate soon realized that the maintenance crews were just driving down the road and staying shitfaced drunk for three days. It's the thought that counts, right?

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Heartsh an' mindsh, right? *hic*

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Yooper posted:

It started out well, but corporate soon realized that the maintenance crews were just driving down the road and staying shitfaced drunk for three days. It's the thought that counts, right?

Dammit, I was hoping no one would catch on!

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Realbarrow posted:

A good and clever point! But we should keep such goofy shipnames for vessels that directly belong to HG, like Commodore Hunter's mighty Tokyo Bay Fortress. Why, you may ask?

It's because the Karel Doormans are owned and mostly crewed by the Watergeuzen. These guys are - by all indications and also probably due to the more regimented nature of shipboard life - much more professional fellows than Hayard-Gunnes, and heirs to a centuries-long naval tradition to boot.

HG, on the other hand, is generally depicted as a cartoonishly shoestring outfit who halfass or even quarter-rear end basically everything not directly related to the maintainance, equipping, and operation of the planes themselves.

Tl;dr: please give dumb names for HG's own ships like the ELINT bote and good names for our subcontractors' vessels, because they aren't as much of a careless herd of slackers and will probably laugh in your face anyway. :v:

Pretty sure watergeuzen are wholly HG at this point and have been fully integrated.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Whether you celebrate it or not, Merry Christmas my fellow Hired Goons!

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

orcbuster posted:

Pretty sure watergeuzen are wholly HG at this point and have been fully integrated.

I don't recall Yooper definitely stating this. But even if it is the case, it would be really great if we had both shoestring frat-house slackers (HG) and cool, collected types (WG, Cobbie). Both sides of the mercenary coin, you know?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
i like to think we're kept afloat by like, really really good support staff and ground crews.

like they cheaped out on the pilots and mission planners and leadership but paid out top dollar for the cafeteria staff and the person that orders spare parts

omegasgundam
Mar 30, 2010
I think that the HG and WH count have distinctly different cultures organizational wise. Also, the Air Force and the Navy being similar to each other is heresy.

omegasgundam fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 25, 2017

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Merry Christmas, one and all, Gunnes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

cool, collected types (WG, Cobbie)

lol

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

Cooler and more collected than most of the chuckleheads at HG, at any rate. :v

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk0RPdmNeDA

Ho ho ho holy poo poo! It's Christmas! Merry Christmas Hired Goons.

The Commissary will be serving candied yams, yesterdays bread stuffing, goat-carved-like-a-ham, this crazy phyllo dough thing, and "British style" grog.

The locals are waiting outside the facility with some special "gifts" that, as near as security can tell, is straight up liquor. Please, we don't want a repeat of the December 17th incident. You know who you are.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

If you bought the game (like me), it's worth poking around the Steam workshop, there's a lot of good stuff. The Community Scenario Pack adds a ton of new scenarios to dick with and is pretty polished for user content. There's even a Top Gun scenario where you control Maverick's Tomcat against the Soviets. Warthogs over Latakia lets you take A-10s out for a spin. There's one where you control the air groups on Yankee Station and enough Cold War shenanigans to keep you satisfied. And a Black Buck mission if you've ever thought "You know what, I want to do MORE refueling."

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 25, 2017

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yooper posted:

the December 17th incident

In my defense, I didn't know it was 190 proof when I poured it on the generator.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Is there a list of all these Merc groups we got running around? It's hard to remember who has what.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ground Crews are reminded that the Stratotanker still constitutes 'indoors', and you're all welcome to party with Big Pig. No touching the still though, it's hard to set up one that doesn't mind all the altitude changes as it is.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Aaaaaaaaand there go all my future plans to 3DP F-14s. Dammit, other mercs! Stop ruining my fun!

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

WOOOO! The grand soar is canon!

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Ikasuhito posted:

Is there a list of all these Merc groups we got running around? It's hard to remember who has what.

There is one floating round in the discord for the fan proposed ones but there is no real set list that we know of that outlies our known opponents complete lineup.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

orcbuster posted:

(Top gear theme plays in background)

Jeremy Clarkson: TONIGHT! Hammond goes to choir practice!

(cut to high pitched scream as hammond ejects from Eurofighter)

Jeremy Clarkson: A lady makes new friends.

(Cut to Judi Dench laughing gleefully as she strafes a van while flying a BAE HAWK)

Jeremy Clarkson: And I forget something unimportant.

(Cut to Clarkson bellylanding an F-16, his only comment at the end being an understated: "ah yes, that was it")

(cut to studio)

Jeremy Clarkson: Goooood evening ladies and gentlemen and welcome to tonights show, now.... (pause for applause) Tonight.... We have a very special plane to show you. (points to centre of stage).

Hammond: Yes because this is the Chengdu J-20, it is the most advanced fighter operated by the Peoples republic of china today!

May: And never seen outside its borders until now, isn't that right?

Hammond: Correct! We got it especially for this show! Its amazing! It's got stealth! its got a fantastic radar! Two Engines!

May (nods while interjecting): Love that.

Hammond: Sexy Canards! missiles to die for! I can't wait to do a special on it and....

Clarkson (interrupts): It's rubbish.

Hammond: Wot?

Clarkson: Dunno why you're showing this thing off, its not the plane I had in mind.

Hammond: What do you mean its not what you had in mind! We paid a fortune to have this sent here! It the highlight of this series! You yourself said you would sacrifice your firstborn to get a ride in it.

Clarkson: Yes well, I've got something better.

May: Better?

Clarkson: Yeeeees, I bought it myself for cheap.

May: What rubbish heap that you got on short notice could possibly be better than this thing?

Clarkson: Well my thing.... Has a confirmed 8:0 kill ratio IN COMBAT against that cheap knockoff you have tucked over there.

Hammond: Wot?

Clarkson: In fact! This very plane we have in our posession here, a nearly 60 year old trainer plane from SWEDEN of all places has killed one of those child labour manufactured deathtraps. Because this! is the SK 60B!

(camera pans over to SK 60 with Dragonslayer paintjob)

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 29, 2017

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

:perfect:

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I love you :allears:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:golfclap:

That was pitch perfect.

omegasgundam
Mar 30, 2010
:master: :iia: :five:

Srsly, that was AMAZING.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
:discourse:

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Amazing simply amazing orcbuster.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

That was absolutely perfect, I could see and hear it like it was a real episode. Truly, my hat is off to you for that flawless gem.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
This thread remains life-affirming.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Thanks guys!

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
You should get the guy from the Aurora 4x thread to do a VO of that

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

If you guys want to plot some acquisitions of your own for IRL, might I suggest Raptor Aviation. As a goon project, we could buy a fleet of 20 Fougas, a couple MiG-21s, a Skyraider that's seen combat, or a very nice MiG-29. They have Hueys and Blackhawks, for those of you who like choppers. Let's take this thread to the next level. Goon project, I'll make the wiki.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Switzerland posted:

You should get the guy from the Aurora 4x thread to do a VO of that

I'll have a crack at it, I'll need to listen to a few episodes first it's been a while.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

orcbuster posted:

(Top gear theme plays in background)

I would actually subscribe to Amazon Prime to watch this show.

If, you know, fantasy = reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

I would actually subscribe to Amazon Prime to watch this show.

If, you know, fantasy = reality.

Having just blazed through the four currently available episodes of Grand Tour only to bemoan the wait for more content, I would very much like to see the Grand Soar become a regular thing.