Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Wirth1000 posted:

How many linux distros does one person need?!

Haha, legitimately I personally spent half an evening downloading a poo poo tonne of Linux ISOs to try out recent distros and see what those crazy free range kids are up to. It's actually the only use my torrent client has gotten in a long, long time. So sometimes it is Linux!

Oh also my question. What's the hubbub about TR4? AMD has promised AM4 will be several generations but I haven't seen squat on TR4. What's the official word? Not that I can afford it, I'm just curious as to why they'd tout the longevity of one and have zip on the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

My system, wonderfully crowded as it should be. :getin:

I have no complaints about the reliability or performance of the system, which is indeed great, but it seems that in 2017 you just can't build a system without a bunch of "bling bling" LEDs. I obviously "have a problem" with bling bling - and I'd very much like if I could turn off the lights on my 1080 and RAM sticks. :(

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

What with the two GPUs with no SLI bridge?

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

SlayVus posted:

What with the two GPUs with no SLI bridge?

You can't bridge a 970 with a 1080 y'know. ;) I'm using the GPUs as standalone daughterboards for BOINC/number crunching. Nerd poo poo. :)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

You can't bridge a 970 with a 1080 y'know. ;) I'm using the GPUs as standalone daughterboards for BOINC/number crunching. Nerd poo poo. :)

Is DC even popular anymore with the gpu mining craze?

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Risky Bisquick posted:

Is DC even popular anymore with the gpu mining craze?

nope it ain't buttcoin, it's staaaaaaaaaaaaaars and radio telescopes and extreme nerdom :buddy:

Einstein@home project. We're analyzing data from radio telescopes and mapping new stars :)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Also doesn’t crossfire or whatever the multi amd gpu thing is not require the gpu bridging?

E: but those ones in the pic have the fingers for it nm :downs:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

nope it ain't buttcoin, it's staaaaaaaaaaaaaars and radio telescopes and extreme nerdom :buddy:

Einstein@home project. We're analyzing data from radio telescopes and mapping new stars :)

My man.

I used the crunch for Einstein@home with my old 7850 and World Community Grid too with my CPU with the old goon team when that was a thing.

With a little Folding@home thrown in as well.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

My system, wonderfully crowded as it should be. :getin:

I have no complaints about the reliability or performance of the system, which is indeed great, but it seems that in 2017 you just can't build a system without a bunch of "bling bling" LEDs. I obviously "have a problem" with bling bling - and I'd very much like if I could turn off the lights on my 1080 and RAM sticks. :(

My kind of nerd. That is one uglay system haha.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Your CPU cooling fan looks like it's about to suck in and chop apart all your SATA cables :ohdear:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I need to post my lego case

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Building a new system (i7-3770K to Ryzen 7 1700) and I'm prepping my flash drive with motherboard drivers for the ASRock X370 Taichi. Does anyone happen to know what's in their "AMD all in 1 driver"? It's dated for February so I'm assuming whatever is on there is way out of date anyway.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I run an X399, I haven't installed any drivers from Asrock. Win10 has everything needed on board. I don't think the X370 will be that different.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I run an X399, I haven't installed any drivers from Asrock. Win10 has everything needed on board. I don't think the X370 will be that different.

Yeah, I'm on it now and there was nothing missing in device manager, didn't need them after all. All good though. 1700 is running really nice and cool.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

3peat posted:

I finally managed to upgrade to Ryzen 1600

I posted that on r/amd and mentioned that I find tempered glass windows stupid, which made a bunch of people angry.. oops

Now I need to buy some case fans, which are the best these days? I read that Corsair ML are on par with Noctua, is there anything else worth considering? I need 3 regular fans and a slim one, all 120mm PWM

I don't know if you've heard already, but those Raijintek cases have a huge problem with airflow. The PSU fan and exhaust fan both pull air away from the CPU. If you flip that exhaust you'll get cool air pulled in over your cpu, and maybe you pick up a magnetic dust filter and slap it on there. You can also open up your psu and flip the fan, but that voids your psu warrantee.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Maybe some *actual* movement on DRAM.

quote:

China’s economic regulator is paying close attention to a recent surge in the price of mobile phone storage chips and could look into possible price fixing by the firms that make them, a senior official told the state-run China Daily newspaper.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-chips/china-regulator-flags-greater-scrutiny-on-chips-after-price-surge-idUSKBN1EL017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ah, the invisible hand :ms:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I think historically (well since the late 90's) speaking nearly every time we've had these simultaneous and dramatic DRAM price increases someone always gets busted for price fixing, gets a tap on the wrist, and prices go back down to sane levels for a couple of years or so before it all starts again.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
It's like when the powers-that-be go away, everybody's memory of the scandal goes blank.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Mofabio posted:

It's like when the powers-that-be go away, everybody's memory of the scandal goes blank.

Even the memory manufacturers.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The world's leading predatory pricing cum dumping nation is now investigating a case of foreign price fixing.

So much irony.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Palladium posted:

The world's leading predatory pricing cum dumping nation is now investigating a case of foreign price fixing.

So much irony.
Might as well if they're non-Chinese/South Korean and drive up the hardware price index in your country. Chinese regulators are always interesting, especially when it comes to gambling and lootboxes in games where they seem to give more of a poo poo than the FTC etc.

If anyone ever comes across actual evidence of foul play, the European Commission on Competition are really good at responding to reports fwiw. A fun way to learn a little about how things work, as long as you're not the kind of person to start a petition because a videogame had a girl in it or something.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 31, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mofabio posted:

Well, it does need constant refreshing.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

fishmech posted:

Well, it does need constant refreshing.

What is the tREF and tRFC for a memory related scandal these days?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

What is the tREF and tRFC for a memory related scandal these days?

:lol:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Building a new system (i7-3770K to Ryzen 7 1700) and I'm prepping my flash drive with motherboard drivers for the ASRock X370 Taichi. Does anyone happen to know what's in their "AMD all in 1 driver"? It's dated for February so I'm assuming whatever is on there is way out of date anyway.

It's audio and other bullshit drivers.. you can download it later as you need it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SoftNum posted:

It's audio and other bullshit drivers.. you can download it later as you need it.

Didn't need it as posted earlier. Windows picked it all up.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Didn't need it as posted earlier. Windows picked it all up.

For Ryzen you just need to download the AMD Chipset driver, and whatever audio driver for your motherboard.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's going to be quite funny to watch the Internet to respond to Intel's alleged segfault issue, if it's a thing.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

For Ryzen you just need to download the AMD Chipset driver, and whatever audio driver for your motherboard.

Chipset drivers I always get as a matter of habit plus I wanted to take advantage of their customized power plan. Audio driver I ended getting out of necessity since I was having issues with audio not playing during rendered cut scenes in the Witcher 3 and installed them during troubleshooting.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It's going to be quite funny to watch the Internet to respond to Intel's alleged segfault issue, if it's a thing.

What segfault issue?

This is interesting, though it's speculative and the technical details are way over my head: work is furiously but quietly underway to fix a hardware bug manifesting in vulnerability to a privilege escalation attack. The software fix involves a 5-30% performance penalty. All current Intel CPUs are affected. AMD processors are not affected.

Better details and discussion in the Intel thread (as is appropriate) but the implications in AMD land are interesting.

NIGARS fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 3, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I can't see this doing anything to Intel in any actuality. I think of the FDIV bug recall, and they still made out like bandits that year.

Also, how badly do you want to kick Intel when you're partnering with them for the 8809G?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I can't see this doing anything to Intel in any actuality. I think of the FDIV bug recall, and they still made out like bandits that year.

Also, how badly do you want to kick Intel when you're partnering with them for the 8809G?

It isn't a company ending gently caress up for Intel, but it hurts them badly.

Losing performance and having a huge security problem sure isn't going to help them.

If EPYC can actually "For REALZ" launch AMD could easily pick up some volume from companies looking to make hedge their bets.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

A 5-30% performance hit probably puts their IPC right back at Broadwell/Ryzen levels, doesn’t it? Zen+ might close up the gap by a lot more than expected just by virtue of getting clocks up.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

since there's a ton of misinformation going around:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=5aa90a84589282b87666f92b6c3c917c8080a9bf
code:
 /*
- * User space process size. 47bits minus one guard page.  The guard
- * page is necessary on Intel CPUs: if a SYSCALL instruction is at
- * the highest possible canonical userspace address, then that
- * syscall will enter the kernel with a non-canonical return
- * address, and SYSRET will explode dangerously.  We avoid this
- * particular problem by preventing anything from being mapped
- * at the maximum canonical address.
+ * User space process size.  This is the first address outside the user range.
+ * There are a few constraints that determine this:
+ *
+ * On Intel CPUs, if a SYSCALL instruction is at the highest canonical
+ * address, then that syscall will enter the kernel with a
+ * non-canonical return address, and SYSRET will explode dangerously.
+ * We avoid this particular problem by preventing anything executable
+ * from being mapped at the maximum canonical address.
+ *
+ * On [b]AMD CPUs in the Ryzen family[/b], there's a nasty bug in which the
+ * CPUs malfunction if they execute code from the highest canonical page.
+ * They'll speculate right off the end of the canonical space, and
+ * bad things happen.  This is worked around in the same way as the
+ * Intel problem.
+ *
+ * With page table isolation enabled, we map the LDT in ... [stay tuned]
  */
also not sure where people are getting the thursday disclosure from unless it's been brought forward, it's meant to be announced friday

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xae posted:

It isn't a company ending gently caress up for Intel, but it hurts them badly.

Losing performance and having a huge security problem sure isn't going to help them.

If EPYC can actually "For REALZ" launch AMD could easily pick up some volume from companies looking to make hedge their bets.

Supposedly my friend in Europe had little issue ordering and deploying some Epycs a few months ago

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Phoronix has some benchmarks, it really doesn't look good for some workloads.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anarchist Mae posted:

Phoronix has some benchmarks, it really doesn't look good for some workloads.

Wondering where the EPYC benchmarks are for comparison's sake, seeing as how, according to what Wiggly Wayne quoted, both Intel and AMD platforms are subject to the same workaround anyways.

Also, since I missed this article over New Year's: KVM Smokes VirtualBox On Initial AMD EPYC Linux Tests

Thank god that KVM stub implementation bug finally got squashed.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

NewFatMike posted:

A 5-30% performance hit probably puts their IPC right back at Broadwell/Ryzen levels, doesn’t it? Zen+ might close up the gap by a lot more than expected just by virtue of getting clocks up.

If I've read benchmarks right, 5-10% pushes them back to Broadwell. 30%... is almost as far back as Sandy Bridge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Wondering where the EPYC benchmarks are for comparison's sake, seeing as how, according to what Wiggly Wayne quoted, both Intel and AMD platforms are subject to the same workaround anyways.

I think that is from an entirely unrelated issue.