Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Remember, it's super illegal to feed people cremains without their knowledge. Obtain enthusiastic consent before you have an essence grokking party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I kinda wish there was a nice place like that members only barbershop near me. There are a couple of the old man type ones around. Those usually give you a nice haircut but those guys are grumpy as hell and it's usually a depressing moldy rear end room with 70's wood paneling. Great Clips and the other chains are OK but I'd say every third haircut I get there is kinda lovely. If I was paying a membership and the place wasn't lovely to be at I'd pay a slight premium. I'd look better for it too, getting trimmed more often.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I must be broken - I hate everything about traditional barbershops. Especially the old man smell.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Went to Gamestop to buy a game for my nephew for X-mas. I picked a new game, went to check out, and they pulled the disc out from the behind the counter and put it in the case. I told them I wanted a new game, and they said they had to take the disc out to display the empty case.

I didn't buy it. Call me crazy, but to me, "new" means "unopened". Especially for a gift.

Why is it so important you that it's you and no one else that gets to remove the plastic wrapping?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Why must you ask?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Alhazred posted:

Why is it so important you that it's you and no one else that gets to remove the plastic wrapping?

so I can huff that sweet glorious nippon air that's trapped inside.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

Gamestop will absolutely 100% take used games and sell them as new games "that they had to take out of the box for the empty display." I assume it's less about PRESERVING THE SANCTITY OF THE UNBOXING EXPERIENCE and more about not wanting to get scammed buying a potentially damaged used product.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Straight White Shark posted:

Gamestop will absolutely 100% take used games and sell them as new games "that they had to take out of the box for the empty display." I assume it's less about PRESERVING THE SANCTITY OF THE UNBOXING EXPERIENCE and more about not wanting to get scammed buying a potentially damaged used product.

Also being reassured that the extras remain yours.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Goober Peas posted:

I must be broken - I hate everything about traditional barbershops. Especially the old man smell.

And what guy wants to “lounge” around in a stylist shop? In and out plz

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I used to go to a traditional barber. Til he got super drunk and actually sliced my forehead open.

Now, my best friend, a tatted hipster who is awesome, chops my hair at her barber joint. It's like $30, but gently caress it, I get to shoot the poo poo with someone I've known for like a decade, and she's drat good at it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i go to the pretty ladies who cut my hair and flirt with me

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Burt Sexual posted:

And what guy wants to “lounge” around in a stylist shop? In and out plz

I clearly state my desire and have had no issues getting in and out of a salon.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I used to live above a neighborhood barbershop that was nice, though I would get bumped for people who had been going there for a decade or three. I was fine with it / generally not in a hurry. Then for awhile the nearest place was run and mostly staffed by pretty women who would accidentally-on-purpose brush their boobs against you. Now I just buzz my own hair with a #2, though I try to go to a place to make the back/neck look better for like weddings etc.

If this is not 100% your experience you have hosed up quite a bit and needless to say I've owned you.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maybe not. My brother is an unemployed mortician’s assistant and the industry is consolidating while at the same time getting pinched by cremation and the internet.

All these Baby Boomers are dying, but who is burying them? Those same loving millennials ruining all the other industries.
Yeah, the funeral home industry is a borderline grift, disrupters are trying to claw their way in through the windows (AKA they see the piles of money and think they can do something semi-fair, look great/be popular, and still make tons of money) and young people are, to put it in extremely hip young people terms, "homeys who don't play that".

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My wife is friends with her stylist and she'll come by the house and give us all salon quality hair for cash money.

Having a hairstyle friend has got to be up there with having a doctor friend in usefulness.

pangstrom posted:

Yeah, the funeral home industry is a borderline grift, disrupters are trying to claw their way in through the windows (AKA they see the piles of money and think they can do something semi-fair, look great/be popular, and still make tons of money) and young people are, to put it in extremely hip young people terms, "homeys who don't play that".

It's an one/two punch. More people are getting cremated which means you don't have the same time pressures to buy stuff like urns and markers. Get your loved one turned to ash, buy your tombstone online. Easy peasy.

When I buried my grandmother the most expensive single part of the process was her obituary.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Dec 29, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

I used to go to a traditional barber. Til he got super drunk and actually sliced my forehead open.

Since when are barbers supposed to be sober

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Krispy Wafer posted:

When I buried my grandmother the most expensive single part of the process was her obituary.

Holy poo poo this. If people didn't die the print industry would be over. When my dad died it cost $350 to publish his obit in the city's paper. I also posted a notice in the neighboring small town (where he went to high school) and that was $150.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Clearly there's room to disrupt the industry with Facebook for dead people.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inescapable Duck posted:

Clearly there's room to disrupt the industry with Facebook for dead people.

Few people read papers, so it’s already a dead industry. Lol

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Straight White Shark posted:

I bought a DS game that was advertised as “new” and it had a save file on it.

They are absolutely scummy fuckers and it’s catching up with them. I work at a retail place and when I don’t have something and tell the person to check Ebgames/GameStop they get the most disgusted look on their face and I don’t blame them.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Black Stones posted:

I bought a DS game that was advertised as “new” and it had a save file on it.

They are absolutely scummy fuckers and it’s catching up with them. I work at a retail place and when I don’t have something and tell the person to check Ebgames/GameStop they get the most disgusted look on their face and I don’t blame them.
I bought a game from gamestop and right out of the box it didn't work. Then rather than accept a return or exchange, they told me I had to ship it to their repair center in the middle of fuckoffistan. So I did that and the game came back with a loving piece of the cartridge missing! After arguing that no, I did not snap the bottom corner off my own goddamned cartidge I told them to exchange it or I'd get corporate to poo poo directly on them. Ended up getting a different game and tested it there with my DS just to make sure and fortunately it did in fact work.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Alhazred posted:

"Guys why is it important that you get the product you're actually paying for and not paying full price for something that should by all rights be cheaper? Just let them take that extra cash out of your pocket! Support your corporate overlords!"

Christ you're stupid as hell.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Scene opens at GameStop HQ...

"Used games are already our most profitable items. What if...we sold them at new game prices?"

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Alhazred posted:

In the text you quoted he says it's a gift for his nephew. It's traditional that the recipient be the first one to open the gift.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

In the text you quoted he says it's a gift for his nephew. It's traditional that the recipient be the first one to open the gift.

And for the gift to not be possibly obviously used

Reminds me of a few months ago I went to a shop I frequent to get a gift for my cousin. Got this nice sketchbook and when I got up to the checkout the lady starts telling me about some contest they're in online and I should go to the website and vote for them and she puts my receipt on top of the sketchbook and writes the website on it and etches it into the surface of the notebook. I'm not used to being a customer who complains about anything and I was too taken aback to do anything about it so I just paid and left. Luckily it smoothed back out but I haven't wanted to go back there for anything since. Just little poo poo like that when you're giving a gift to somebody where it's like, no it's not going to make the person think bad about you but it ruins what's supposed to just be the good feeling of getting a gift.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Rough Lobster posted:

Until they invent a robot chair that won't accidentally decapitate you, barbers and hair stylists will always be in business.

I'm immediately reminded of that Donald Duck cartoon where he visits some Museum of Mechanical Wonders and the autobarber hot towels, trims, and styles his butt.

ladron posted:

so I can huff that sweet glorious nippon air that's trapped inside.

I'm not sure because I haven't bought a physical video game in years, but I imagine they, like every other piece of tech, are now made in China or SE Asia.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Ofecks posted:

I'm not sure because I haven't bought a physical video game in years, but I imagine they, like every other piece of tech, are now made in China or SE Asia.

sony is a japanese company baka gaijin

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

NorgLyle posted:

Joel McHale too.

And former Smash Bros announcer Pat Cashman

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I just got reminded that I got a text from a buddy of mine how someone gave him Wolfenstein for Christmas from EB and the game wasn’t in the case so he had to go back and get it.

Lol, gently caress EBgames.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
Honestly I'm wary of buying physical copies of games even on Amazon now, I ordered a "new" zelda game for my boyfriend's birthday a while ago and the case was open and there was no disc, just an empty case. Digital downloads make a poo poo gift, but I was extremely upset about that experience.
Gamestop has absolutely sold "new" games where the download codes or the Nintendo reward point codes had already been used too.
Physical media is dead to me.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I don't like that they work their warehouse staff like it's a dickens poorhouse, but I've never had a problem with the customer experience side of amazon. Just this past month someone left a bunch of packages up against my mom's garage door, she didn't check her backup camera and she ran over like 200 bucks worth of Christmas presents. Amazon sent out replacements by the end of the day, didn't even have to argue with anyone.

Those third party sellers can be shady as poo poo, though. Don't trust anything that was "just launched."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

quote:

I tell this story every time about Gamestop:

Went in to buy MK X for a friend. Paid full price for a new game, as the empty display case I took to the register noted. The guy rings me up and as I walk away the bag feels really light for some reason.

They had given me a "Brand New" copy of MK X, in a cheap paper disc holder.

How the gently caress is he supposed to keep that in his collection, much less how the poo poo am I supposed to gift him a game in a loving paper sheet?

Happy outcome: slightly cheaper at Best Buy.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

21st Cherry boy posted:

Honestly I'm wary of buying physical copies of games even on Amazon now, I ordered a "new" zelda game for my boyfriend's birthday a while ago and the case was open and there was no disc, just an empty case. Digital downloads make a poo poo gift, but I was extremely upset about that experience.
Gamestop has absolutely sold "new" games where the download codes or the Nintendo reward point codes had already been used too.
Physical media is dead to me.

I bought a game a while back and it came without the insert that has the installation code. The seller was super nice about it and tried to help as best as they could and ended up giving me a refund and letting me keep the game itself.
Good thing I did keep it, because then I ordered a disc from another seller. It arrived with the wrong box (?), the correct insert (??), and the wrong disc. I used the code on that one to get the other disc to work. I emailed the second seller to complain (because that's just lovely practice) and they never responded in any way. I feel bad that the first seller that was actually decent and tried to help me out wound up out of pocket while the bad seller got to keep the money in the end.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I will never understand the concept of buying things through a system that is slightly more transparent than a box out of the back of a running white van with generally the same results. Amazon/Newegg/whatever directly, sure, but resellers/third party merchants? Hell no.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

The American Dream posted:

Bartending is pretty safe. Everyone loves and needs to get drunk, especially as the world continues to go to poo poo.

It's much more cost effective for me to sit on my couch drinking Kirkland Vodka and soda while watching Netflix. The world can go to poo poo and as long as I have internet and Costco it's all good. Being married for the past decade and missing the rise of Tinder, I wonder is it easier to hook up using a dating app on my couch or going to a bar?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Crazy Mike posted:

It's much more cost effective for me to sit on my couch drinking Kirkland Vodka and soda while watching Netflix. The world can go to poo poo and as long as I have internet and Costco it's all good. Being married for the past decade and missing the rise of Tinder, I wonder is it easier to hook up using a dating app on my couch or going to a bar?

They both suck now.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Can't be any worse than OKCupid, whom in the last six months has appeared to take away pretty much every feature that distinguished it in the online dating market and made it preferred by people. Want to see who visited your profile? You gotta pay up. Want to message someone? Better hope you both mutually "liked" each other's profiles, or they'll never see it. Have a clever, eye attracting user name? Too bad, now you have to change it to your "real" first name. But good news! You now get to see random users' instagram posts pop up on the front page! Also, instead of just randomly throwing local people at you on the front page, now they sort it by a shared keyword from their profile--one that seems completely random and has a strong chance of not actually appearing in your OWN profile! Isn't that great?!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Choco1980 posted:

Can't be any worse than OKCupid, whom in the last six months has appeared to take away pretty much every feature that distinguished it in the online dating market and made it preferred by people. Want to see who visited your profile? You gotta pay up. Want to message someone? Better hope you both mutually "liked" each other's profiles, or they'll never see it. Have a clever, eye attracting user name? Too bad, now you have to change it to your "real" first name. But good news! You now get to see random users' instagram posts pop up on the front page! Also, instead of just randomly throwing local people at you on the front page, now they sort it by a shared keyword from their profile--one that seems completely random and has a strong chance of not actually appearing in your OWN profile! Isn't that great?!

Seriously? I met my wife on there. Shame to hear it's gone so down hill.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I met my wife on Yahoo personals back in 1999.

Tinder and OKCupid may have problems, but at least you didn't have to wait a full minute for a 300x300 user picture to download over dial-up.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Choco1980 posted:

A lot of this seems like a good thing to me, actually. The old dating website ways of letting everyone message everyone just meant that any decently attractive girl is bombarded with messages nonstop, so previously even if you both mutually liked each other, you still had a good chance of getting lost in the noise. If they still have their matching system then they're still better than Tinder, Bumble, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Thing is, that's the established system and everyone is used to it. So it's a good change on paper if it's communicated well and they actually push users to change their assumed habits, because what seems to be happening instead is that women are not liking more profiles, so the sum total of mutual likes hasn't changed. So now you have men frustrated that they can't bypass the like system (that women don't even use) by writing decent messages, and women frustrated by the lack of any, including the decent, messages.

Now interaction has been locked behind mutual likes - this is what Tinder already does.

The problem was an inundation of low-content messages and that's not exactly a novel problem to solve on the internet.

Of course for any dating site it's always a boon if they can make women more likely to use them, since the gender ratio is so ridiculously lopsided, and "you don't get bombarded by garbage" is a pretty good selling point if you actually sell it.