Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

starkebn posted:

When I talk about starting on knees, it's not literally on the knees ffs, it's just starting on the floor

Edit: So there's like three positions to start from I'm familiar with, The Feet wherein both players start on their feet in neutral, The Knees where both players start neutral on their knees, and in guard where usually one player is on their feet or combat base and the other has some sort of guard going.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Bubba Smith posted:

positives to starting on both knees: no leglocks

Not necessarily...

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

Also leglocks are good

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

starkebn posted:

When I talk about starting on knees, it's not literally on the knees ffs, it's just starting on the floor

Same here. We start with one on top, one on bottom and switch. We do this because of lack of space tbh

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

old.flv posted:

Not necessarily...

you'd have to gently caress up real badly to get leglocked when both your legs are behind you

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Bubba Smith posted:

you'd have to gently caress up real badly to get leglocked when both your legs are behind you

*In old sensei voice*

First mistake was starting on the knees.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

Bubba Smith posted:

I mean... I'd just sit to butterfly and elevate because I wouldn't waste my time leaning into someone that was already on their knees

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Couple weeks ago my wife decided to clean out the closets while I was out of town and asked if it was ok to donate some of my old gis that I don't use much to the gym.

I said sure.

For the last couple weeks I've also been searching high and low for my favorite black gi that I wore pretty much every day.

One of the white belts walked into the gym today wearing it.

Yup my wife gave away my favorite gi.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Your honor that gi was a representation of our commitment to ine another and she just threw it out......yes I am asking for 100% of our earned value. Why? Pain and suffering....no sir you don't understand a WHITE BELT has it now....Thank you for understanding."

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ch3cooh posted:

Couple weeks ago my wife decided to clean out the closets while I was out of town and asked if it was ok to donate some of my old gis that I don't use much to the gym.

I said sure.

For the last couple weeks I've also been searching high and low for my favorite black gi that I wore pretty much every day.

One of the white belts walked into the gym today wearing it.

Yup my wife gave away my favorite gi.

Time to buy your new favourite gi, a shoyoroll. :getin:

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

Time to buy your new favourite gi, a shoyoroll. :getin:

It was a black Fuji Sekai and man it fit loving perfectly.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ch3cooh posted:

Explain the mixup and then give the guy the opportunity to roll for the gi. Problem solved. :3:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

ch3cooh posted:

Communication is key.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

A black gi? Gross.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

You're gross. Black gis own.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

black gis are better than blue gis

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
buncha gi racists up in here :angel: all colors are beautiful :angel:

e: except camo gis, those are lame

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
I've always wanted a red gi.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
One of my gi tops is about 10 years old and has seen a lot of use. I was given it 2 years ago.

It was just yesterday that I decided I won't wear it (or any other second hand gi) again because it's just so loving disgusting.

I wouldn't wear an old t-shirt that someone didn't need anymore. Nor a pair of shorts.

So why would I wear something that's soaked up more sweat (mine, the previous owner's, and the many hundreds of people's that have been rolled with) than most other pieces of clothing in existence? The answer is: there is no good reason.

The KF Fighter gi top has been retired. It's been a good run.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

That seems silly to start caring about it two years in, but ok.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I wash my clothes so I don't have to worry about whatever strange mildew is growing on your gi.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

My gym only allows blue or white gis so gently caress you all with your freedom of expression.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

my gym allows any gi but you will be made fun of for wearing anything in strange colors or that is too expensive and whether or not this is worth it is up to you, the grappler

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

if i see you in a camo gi I will act startled at the sound of your voice, looking around and right through you as if you were blending in perfectly with your environment

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wangsbig posted:

if i see you in a camo gi I will act startled at the sound of your voice, looking around and right through you as if you were blending in perfectly with your environment

It's a miracle that there are no camo gis at my club, given that hunter camo is basically business casual in my town.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

my gym allows any gi but you will be made fun of for wearing anything in strange colors or that is too expensive and whether or not this is worth it is up to you, the grappler

I need to show you how much better my BJJ is by wearing a Street Fighter -themed gi to a Judo open mat. They will learn to fear me.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I need to show you how much better my BJJ is by wearing a Street Fighter -themed gi to a Judo open mat. They will learn to fear me.

tear the sleeves off yourself as you step on the mat and absolutely no one will gently caress with you

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
We can wear whatever gi but are required to buy 2 patches for them. Only like $20.

I still haven't put them on my block gi.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I'm glad I roll at the chillest gym around, the only requirement is to not be a dick.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

starkebn posted:

I'm glad I roll at the chillest gym around, the only requirement is to not be a dick.

pretty much the same at my gym. one of our instructors purposely wears the most ridiculous rashguards he can find.

the only thing my head coach has ever got upset about is during comp team training he doesn't like people taking too long of breaks between rounds, but that's understandable.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'm trying to find a open guard pass. Consider if you're standing and you've broken your opponents grips and so he only has his feet on your hips. There's a pass I've seen before where you get a grip on the inside of both their pant legs or cup the front of both of their knees and push their knees up towards their head and off your hips. You then go and sit on top of their butt and finish the pass by sliding their legs to the side and you go the opposite direction. Anyone know or seen this and know what its called?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Toreando

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Toreando really doesn't usually have a "sitting on their butt" part does it? But yeah, it's probably what you're thinking of.

https://youtu.be/vF4J4bdagXE

starkebn fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 29, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It does or some type of hip pressure so they can't turn back to face you.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I use it all the time but have no idea what it’s called. You don’t really sit on their butt so much as drive your hips forward until you’re past their hips and drop into a standing squat above them. It should feel like a standing, no-hands double-under pass.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I use it all the time but have no idea what it’s called. You don’t really sit on their butt so much as drive your hips forward until you’re past their hips and drop into a standing squat above them. It should feel like a standing, no-hands double-under pass.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Not a Toreando.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Pretty sure this is almost a leg weave pass.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Were you looking to use it or stop it from happening?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Were you looking to use it or stop it from happening?

Use it, I got it from an Eric Paulson seminar and wanted to tighten it up, but I don't know what the move is called to find youtube videos on it.

JaySB posted:

Pretty sure this is almost a leg weave pass.

Nope. Its really close to the double under pass, but you're using your hips instead of your shoulders to pin their hips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

KildarX posted:

Use it, I got it from an Eric Paulson seminar and wanted to tighten it up, but I don't know what the move is called to find youtube videos on it.

Looks like it might be covered in here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdN8iAfFiAk&t=17s

and this looks similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWVKSsrBvA8

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 30, 2017