Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Sudden Javelin posted:

Someone's never watched Eurovision

:hfive:

For those of you that have Steamworld Dig 2, do I need to play the first one to get the story at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mister Facetious posted:

For those of you that have Steamworld Dig 2, do I need to play the first one to get the story at all?

No, there's a few things you'll maybe get more if you did but it recaps the major plot points from the first game pretty well.

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal
Are you looking for what was suggested or a screen protector? A $10 screen protector from amazon will still let it dock just as easy and give it more protection when you're on the go.

https://smile.amazon.com/amFilm-Tem...creen+protector
[/quote]

I have a screen protector, but i also plan to use a protective case, and the extension is exactly what i need to avoid constantly taking the case off and on again.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Gungeon chat: Agreed hunter and marine are probably the best for new players. Pilot definitely has it's uses though, makes certain challenges/unlocks a lot easier. One tip I don't think I've seen mentioned that will be helpful for players struggling to defeat bosses without getting hit is you get 2x blanks at the start of every new floor. So definitely get used to using blanks on bosses to avoid getting hit. I know when I first started the first instinct was to dodge roll everything and that's obviously helpful, but I had to force myself to learn to take advantage of the blanks. If there's a bullet pattern you know you suck at dodging, use a blank. If you defeat a boss with 2 blanks and you got hit, you are doing it wrong. Alternatively, you can also use those blanks to search for hidden rooms.

Skyrim Chat: The length of time between each newly developed Elder Scrolls game is usually long enough that I get tricked into buying them even though I haven't really enjoyed the game since Morrowind. (Feels like the game got dumbed down after Morrowind.) The combat in Skyrim is so terrible, like it's literally just button mashing with the occasional spell or dragon chant. I have to primarily use a bow just to make the combat feel interesting.

Darkest Dungeon chat: This is going to be another Gungeon situation. It's probably on my top 10 games of all time, but a lot of people here are going to call it poo poo/grindy/too difficult/too rng. Where just like in Gungeon, there are strategies that you will need to learn.

Passion for Dilbert posted:

As someone who loved Xenoblade Chronicles but felt very lukewarm on Xenoblade X, should i try Xenoblade 2? The main thing i'm wary about is the art style; Anime has never really been to my tastes (XBC is probably as close as I've been) and also the concept of the Waifu-Swords or whatever they are gives me the heebie jeebies.

Just wondering if anyone had any similar misgivings and was pleasantly surprised. FWIW i think the environments and setting look amazing as usual, and the combat looks good to me.

This is my exact situation. XC1 was incredible and one of the best RPG's I've ever played. Disliked XCX, but I played it to completion. XC2 cranks the anime to 10 with giant titties and cliche anime characters. I personally didn't think XC1 was anime at all, but someone always claims it's the most anime game ever... If you can ignore the giant titties, you can't, and annoying anime trope characters XC2 is way better than XCX, but it's still missing the magic from XC1.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 30, 2017

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Any games drop?

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
Just ordered a 128GB Samsung Evo for the Switch for $55.99 from Amazon. Getting ready for all them eShop games I'm gonna be buying once I finish BotW and Odyssey.

Any tips for BotW. I am still on the learning curve for managing weapons and inventory and on the Great Plateau and getting my poo poo pushed in regularly.

Is there an easier way to drop unwanted weapons from your inventory other than switching them to active and throwing them?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
best zeldas were the oracle games

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

theSpokeyDokey posted:

Just ordered a 128GB Samsung Evo for the Switch for $55.99 from Amazon. Getting ready for all them eShop games I'm gonna be buying once I finish BotW and Odyssey.

Any tips for BotW. I am still on the learning curve for managing weapons and inventory and on the Great Plateau and getting my poo poo pushed in regularly.

Is there an easier way to drop unwanted weapons from your inventory other than switching them to active and throwing them?

on the inventory screen, you can hit A, then equip or drop items.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Wow, so my Switch is basically dead. I got the Odyssey bundle when it came out. It worked perfectly, docked and undocked. Now that I'm playing Zelda, it worked fine up until today. I woke it up, and the sound was extremely distorted. Reboot did not fix it. So I decide oh well, I'll play on TV. It switches to the TV, and plays for about 30 seconds and then drops the display. My TV says there's no display hooked up, switched HDMI cables, same thing. Unplugged everything in the dock, tried again, same thing. And to make things so much better, now the Switch has decided not to output any sound at all when undocked. I've tried turning the mute sound when disconnecting headphones option off, tried actually plugging in headphones, nothing. No sound unless docked, and I can only play for 30 seconds on my TV.

Any suggestions before I send this in?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

theSpokeyDokey posted:

You can drop them directly from the inventory or switch to them and throw them. You can switch weapons without going into the menu if you didn't realize that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mister Facetious posted:

Didn't play the first one and everything made sense, didn't tarnish the experience.

Bum the Sad posted:

Followed link "You purchased this item on March 5, 2017." Yeah this is a nice one, it comes with two as well so when your OCD is unsatisfied with your first application you can try again! It's a nice product. Very happy with it.

I hosed up my first two tries and they sent me another 2 for free. 3rd times a charm. :v:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
My copy of XBC2 came in this morning and I've been playing since. Although it is quite anime, I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm excited to start collecting more blades and I really like the battle system. I guess my only complaint so far is "Let's show em a thing or three!".

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

BisterdDave posted:

My copy of XBC2 came in this morning and I've been playing since. Although it is quite anime, I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm excited to start collecting more blades and I really like the battle system. I guess my only complaint so far is "Let's show em a thing or three!".

Oh sweet child, just wait for the titties.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

whats wrong with titties

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Bring em on!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

whats wrong with titties

absolutely nothing and god bless us all.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Midjack posted:

absolutely nothing and god bless us all.

can you imagine buying a racing game and someone saying "ugh wait until the cars show up"

like, my dude, i know what i'm here for

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Takoluka posted:

can you imagine buying a racing game and someone saying "ugh wait until the cars show up"

like, my dude, i know what i'm here for

Long live the Vita 2!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The vita was ahead of its time

RIP :(

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Great, now we gotta get someone to draw tits on a car

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Speaking of the Vita, it does have Drive Girls.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Vita's got you covered, friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftD46AKv5w

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

b-b-b-but what if the tits are on a fictional girl that's underage and she just looks like she's in her thirties!?!?!?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Incredible. It looks like the perfect game for the Switch.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

b-b-b-but what if the tits are on a fictional girl that's underage and she just looks like she's in her thirties!?!?!?

Not sure if Guilty Gear is coming to the Switch or not.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This game looks like it would be cool and fun if it wasn’t for the creepy sexual stuff.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

you tryin to admit somethin? come with me to the station bub

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SeANMcBAY posted:

This game looks like it would be cool and fun if it wasn’t for the creepy sexual stuff.

It's not

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s too bad. Hack and slash combat as a car sounds like a good concept.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s too bad. Hack and slash combat as a car sounds like a good concept.

The Transformers game by Platinum is a pretty good implementation of this , for a budget title

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

raditts posted:

Rocket League is a fun game, I wish I wasn't so fuckin terrible at it. I don't know how it's so easy to miss such a large ball.

A really obvious but valuable tip, imo, is to not get excited and double tap jump too fast. I do that a lot and it sort of limits your verticality. You want to rush the ball, and jump early enough to let yourself sort of gain momentum to the near-apex of your jump before you engage rockets.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

To those who recommended mario rabbids thanks got to play a chunk of it today and the game actually is quite fun and the movement options differentiate it greatly from XCOM.

For this gungeon game yall are talking about is it a full on rogue like or is there any progression between deaths like say a rogue legacy? I like those styles of games just hate when it's a 100% loss of progress on death.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So far I've been like completely incapable of using the rockets to any success.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SeANMcBAY posted:

This game already was cool and fun when it was called Transformers: Devastation, AKA Platinum's most underrated gem.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Evil Canadian posted:

To those who recommended mario rabbids thanks got to play a chunk of it today and the game actually is quite fun and the movement options differentiate it greatly from XCOM.

For this gungeon game yall are talking about is it a full on rogue like or is there any progression between deaths like say a rogue legacy? I like those styles of games just hate when it's a 100% loss of progress on death.

You can unlock new vendors and add equipment to the loot table but that's about it. I'm usually in the same boat but the game plays so well I don't really mind not making any overall "progress" - I just like shooting things with cool new guns.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
How’s DragonFangZ, ya’ll?

Although, I say that knowing I should probably buy Blossom Tales first...

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Evil Canadian posted:

You can unlock new merchants inside shops that have different gimmicks, such as using keys as cash*, or lower-priced higher-tier items that might make cursed** versions of enemies spawn, or guys that hang at the breach and unlock new items for boss bux. Other than that, it's just like any other roguelike. I'd really like a feature where you spend boss bux and get a lower chance of wood/green chests spawning for the run.

*the items this guy sells are generally stuff that gives you bonuses for smashing treasure chests open as opposed to just using a key on them - useful if you see a lot of wooden or green chests. be sure you dont break one open while you're near it, as it may explode. Also, always shoot a chest one time before opening it in case it's a mimic.
**cursed enemies = they do more damage and have loads of more health

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

whoa, Lost Sphear comes out already in January? Thought that had a while to go but maybe was thinking of Octopath. I tried the demo and it seems alright, how did everyone else like it
I liked the combat. Like traditional Final Fantasy ATB, but needing to take into account some Tactics-esque positioning.

I can't say the little bit of story drew me in, though. Lots of talking. I just can't get into games where there are tons of NPCs to keep track of anymore. Making "lost" areas of the map appear with memory items also seemed kind of stupid.

If general goon consensus says that it's amazing after release, I'll probably buy it. But otherwise I think I'll pass.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Octopath is probably going to be very good, but I wonder if it'll sell, particularly at the price they are asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Octopath is probably going to be very good, but I wonder if it'll sell, particularly at the price they are asking.

I liked the demo once I turned off the voice acting. It was like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night bad.

• Locked thread