Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Koramei posted:

what's the issue with the touchbars?

Too much complexity, too little benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have a 15” maxed 2016 for a while now. Wasn’t worth the price. It’s super dainty and I have zero confidence in the video card or the cooling system. I stopped having keyboard problems after I flushed all the dust out of it though.

It’s an overall meh. Get a 2015 and then buy the 2020 model once Apple is Great Again.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Housh posted:

I have a 15” maxed 2016 for a while now. Wasn’t worth the price. It’s super dainty and I have zero confidence in the video card or the cooling system. I stopped having keyboard problems after I flushed all the dust out of it though.

It’s an overall meh. Get a 2015 and then buy the 2020 model once Apple is Great Again.

That is, no joke, what I’m going to do this spring. Drop 2 grand on a 2015, and wait till the next fixed model.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What're the odds of them making a MacBook keyboard that uses force touch or whatever it's called to simulate tactile key presses? The keys could offer tactility without any moving parts for crumbs to get under and gently caress up! It doesn't seem like too much of a stretch what with the shallow key movement on the 2016 and 2017 keyboards...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

IAmKale posted:

What're the odds of them making a MacBook keyboard that uses force touch or whatever it's called to simulate tactile key presses? The keys could offer tactility without any moving parts for crumbs to get under and gently caress up! It doesn't seem like too much of a stretch what with the shallow key movement on the 2016 and 2017 keyboards...

Yuck

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Housh posted:

I got two 13" non-touchbar MBPs to replace a mid-2012 MacBook Air and a mid-2012 MacBook Pro 15". My wife actually prefers the new laptop because it's smaller and regrets buying the larger MBP to begin with. Pretty happy with them for now and hope to get five years out of them like I did their predecessors.

IAmKale posted:

What's the benefit?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Housh posted:

For my own anecdote, I have a maxed 15” 2016 and love it. I abuse the hell out of it with games when booted in boot camp as well as Macos and it just chugs along.

Regarding cooling - it seems to run cooler under load than my friend’s 2015. We did some basic temperature reads with the machines under load using a laser thermometer.

Again anecdotes. YMMV

That said - was it worth $3300? Probably not, but I needed to replace an old desktop and a tiny MBA. I’d probably pay $2800 for it knowing what I know now.

e: a word

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you have pets and your 2015 runs hot, it behooves you to go buy a set of pentalobes and get the dust out of your MBP. I got a 66 piece precision driver set for $20 on sale two days ago and easily blew an entire cat's worth of fur out of my 2015. I was wondering why the fans kicked into high gear just watching YouTube ...

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I used a Force Touch touchpad last night and was surprised yet again how it's able to simulate the sensation of the touchpad clicking despite the touchpad not moving at all. Recent talk of how dust can get under the keys of 2016 and 2017 MacBooks and completely prevent those keys from registering presses had me wondering if there was a way to make a compelling keyboard sans any moving parts.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Dick Nipples posted:

For my own anecdote, I have a maxed 15” 2016 and love it. I abuse the hell out of it with games when booted in boot camp as well as Macos and it just chugs along.
That’s cool. What games run well on it? Do you run any macOS games on it too?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Koramei posted:

what's the issue with the touchbars?

The problem for me is the design of the model as a whole. I'm not ready to jump into dongle life for another few years and there's the whole part where the keyboard can get hosed by a piece of dust.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

The problem for me is the design of the model as a whole. I'm not ready to jump into dongle life for another few years and there's the whole part where the keyboard can get hosed by a piece of dust.

On top of which, I️ have RSI issues. The Apple keyboards have always been good to type on. The new ones, not so much. And writing is my job so... going to be grabbing that 2015 soon.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

If any of you guys want to swap a 2016+ for a pimped out 2015 with AppleCare thru 2019, PM me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I leave the touchbar on "show function keys". The bad thing is you trigger the keys by just brushing the touchbar.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Hey this is the original magic trackpad right? Looking for something for my old macbook pro (early 2011) that can do multi-touch gestures (using with a mouse now and it just feels...off). Also if I'm going used, is it better to go through Amazon or ebay?

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC380Z-A-Wireless-Trackpad/dp/B003XLYAWC

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I got a 2015 mbp 13” i7 with 16gb ram with active Apple care for 1k instead of a newer pro. Hope I did ok.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

GoldfishStew posted:

I got a 2015 mbp 13” i7 with 16gb ram with active Apple care for 1k instead of a newer pro. Hope I did ok.

Really, a 2015 only sells for 1K? This does not bode well for my late-model 2013 15" :o

edit: i hope jony ive coming back to manage the design team somehow means they'll have enough courage to revert some of the designs of the current macbook. but it probably won't.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 30, 2017

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Courage is going to mean merging the iPad and MacBook product lines, not bringing back function keys.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Evis posted:

Courage is going to mean merging the iPad and MacBook product lines, not bringing back function keys.

I like to laugh at the people who think an ARM cpu in a laptop is going to provide adequate performance.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I agree, at least for now. They’ll start by better aligning the APIs across macOS and iOS and maybe allowing iOS/macOS fat binaries and merging the app stores. There are already rumours they’re working on something along these lines. Who knows how exactly they’ll merge things but I do think it’ll happen in the next few years.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Housh posted:

That’s cool. What games run well on it? Do you run any macOS games on it too?

Main macOS games I play on it are Civ 5/6 maxed out. I also play a bit of Dying Light and Rocket League. Not sure how high the settings are ok Dying Light. That one is probably the toughest on the GPU.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Evis posted:

Apple is not Microsoft, this would be a deeply stupid move they won't make because they've developed user experiences specific to each formfactor.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hey this is the original magic trackpad right? Looking for something for my old macbook pro (early 2011) that can do multi-touch gestures (using with a mouse now and it just feels...off). Also if I'm going used, is it better to go through Amazon or ebay?

That is the original, but I really do recommend the second gen if you can swing it – huge difference. The first one only clicks on the bottom, the second you can click anywhere. Also try the jitouch app if you like gestures!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The iPad Pro is already a faster and better laptop than the Air.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

FCKGW posted:

The iPad Pro is already a faster and better laptop than the Air.

I’d generally agree with this as someone that owned an MBA and now owns the iPad Pro (and an MBP). If I’m traveling for business and not presenting or programming, I just take the iPad Pro.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I like to laugh at the people who think an ARM cpu in a laptop is going to provide adequate performance.

You will pay the price for your lack of vision

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

The Milkman posted:

You will pay the price for your lack of vision

Yeah we live in the lovely timeline, so they'll probably abstract offloading computation to some cloud server as a workaround for this -- it's ok, most people are fine with the 50 units a month that comes as part of their iCloud subscription, and packages start at $4.99/mo!

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

If they have some secret breakthrough to make homomorphic encryption usable then sign me up.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

That is the original, but I really do recommend the second gen if you can swing it – huge difference. The first one only clicks on the bottom, the second you can click anywhere. Also try the jitouch app if you like gestures!

I'm fine with only bottom clicks tbh and given it's a 6 year old laptop with a broken screen connector I'd rather not invest a lot of money into it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Are you from 2007?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm fine with only bottom clicks tbh and given it's a 6 year old laptop with a broken screen connector I'd rather not invest a lot of money into it.

Having had both at work I can confirm the 2 w/Force Touch is much, much more reliable and nicer to use, but it's another $50 so fair enough if you don't want to go for it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Should my 13" Touchbar MBP be going from 47% to 25% battery from sitting closed on my desk for two days?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is checkcoverage.apple.com down? Any other way to check warranty status??

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
The apple support app will show you when your warranty expires if the device is registered with your Apple ID.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Biodome posted:

The apple support app will show you when your warranty expires if the device is registered with your Apple ID.

The whole thing is down. At least it was when I checked a couple hours ago.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My "b" key stopped working so I blew into it like a NES cartridge and it started working again. This is getting hilarious.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bob Morales posted:

Should my 13" Touchbar MBP be going from 47% to 25% battery from sitting closed on my desk for two days?

What do you see from "pmset -g"? If "standbydelay", "standby", and "hibernatemode" are at their defaults of 10800, 1, and 3 respectively, that's not normal, because after 3 hours of 'light' sleep (RAM still powered on, system ready to wake quickly) it should enter hibernation (almost nothing powered on).

You might also want to check for power management assertions that might be blocking normal behavior. Use "pmset -g assertions" to show the current set of assertions.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

if using a mouse feels off you might want to try downloading steermouse or something like it, that allows you to tweak the mouse acceleration/what the side buttons do

i owned the original tragic macpad for a bit; i don't really like trackpads in general but it's pretty great for what it is

the cpu in the current ipad pro is better in pretty much every single metric than the one they have in the 12 inch macbook; it's not outside the realm of possibility for it to be completely adequate for the target market

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 2, 2018

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Generic Monk posted:

the cpu in the current ipad pro is better in pretty much every single metric than the one they have in the 12 inch macbook; it's not outside the realm of possibility for it to be completely adequate for the target market

It is outside the realm of possibility because it does not execute x86 code natively, which is still a requirement to be considered adequate for that particular target market.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Microsoft seems to be making good headway there, they've demonstrated nearly native x86 execution on ARM somehow. I mean, good enough to run Photoshop at least. If they pull it off, we might see the market go that route, like Apple did with Rosetta.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/12/8/13881800/microsoft-demonstrates-full-windows-10-with-photoshop-on-arm-chips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pivo posted:

Microsoft seems to be making good headway there, they've demonstrated nearly native x86 execution on ARM somehow. I mean, good enough to run Photoshop at least. If they pull it off, we might see the market go that route, like Apple did with Rosetta.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/12/8/13881800/microsoft-demonstrates-full-windows-10-with-photoshop-on-arm-chips

I want to see benchmarks. Remember how slow the Intels were at running PowerPC apps with Rosetta