Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Wasn't Will & Grace the show where they had to dial back Will's homosexuality to the point where he couldn't even hold hands or kiss his partner because NBC wanted to boast about having a gay leading character but not one that actually acted like he was gay? And a shame about John Barrowman, the man is a freak and would have made that sitcom a lot more fun than it was. Oh well, guess he'll have to continue being one of the best Doctor Who supporting characters ever. ;)

Davros1 posted:

That reminds me of DC Comics having a character that they boasted was the first gay character (Extrano), but not that you'd never know, since it was never mentioned in the comics.

They should just combine the two and just have Malcolm Merlyn be in DC Comic already. The actual Merlyn was just some generic assassin rival of Green Arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Then they retconned the original Green Lantern from an old dude to a gay dude. I still say they shoulda made him an old gay dude.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Inescapable Duck posted:

Then they retconned the original Green Lantern from an old dude to a gay dude. I still say they shoulda made him an old gay dude.

Which didn't this act erase his son and daughter from history, which his son was already gay!

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I feel like a lot of the Asian stereotypes are grounded in a derisive notion of mimicry. Like, "these people act like whites/westerners but they'll never be us." So even things that might seem innocuous like "takes a lot of pictures" becomes much more malicious.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I feel like a lot of the Asian stereotypes are grounded in a derisive notion of mimicry. Like, "these people act like whites/westerners but they'll never be us." So even things that might seem innocuous like "takes a lot of pictures" becomes much more malicious.

Yep. One tripartate racial schema I remember reading cast "The Mongoloid" as "civilization maintainer" - i.e. they use the great stuff that the white man invented but they don't contribute anything of their own.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I feel like a lot of the Asian stereotypes are grounded in a derisive notion of mimicry. Like, "these people act like whites/westerners but they'll never be us."

I recently watched The Toll of the Sea, the first color Hollywood film and one which surprisingly has Asian actors playing Asian characters, and this was a major theme—but in a patronizing "pity the poor Chinese girl, she'll never be as good as a white woman for the white man she fancies, no matter how hard she tries" kind of way. It was odd to see this same trope not used for mockery but as an appeal to the (presumably white) audience's sympathy.

Edit: And this movie was based on the opera Madame Butterfly, which I wasn't really familiar with. So this has to be one of the very oldest stereotypes regarding Asians in western media.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Dec 31, 2017

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

CommonShore posted:

Yep. One tripartate racial schema I remember reading cast "The Mongoloid" as "civilization maintainer" - i.e. they use the great stuff that the white man invented but they don't contribute anything of their own.

Lol this is literally the opposite of most of history.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

The Bloop posted:

I'm like a woke super bleeding heart leftist pinko who doesn't miss a pride parade and thinks we should accept infinity refugees but I just can't get worked up over accent jokes.

Like I can't imagine that being particularly insulting to Asians. As a monoglot American, the fact that someone speaks a second language with an accent still makes them better than me, language-wise.

I'll update my opinions if I hear that this is really a problem, but it seems like literally the lowest priority poo poo. Like Fa-ra-ra-ra-Ra in A Christmas Story... Those people were being really nice and in no way were the butt of anything.

If that was just a part of a larger insult I'd feel differently, but if it's accent alone... Ehh.

Can I keep my libcard?

Okay, so this has been done to death already, but I just want to point one more thing out: most Chinese dialects distinguish between "l" and "r" in a lot of cases.

When you see things like "Toys L Us" in Chinatown, it's ascribing to Chinese people a Japanese stereotype.

That's orientalism, and it's racist.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Besesoth posted:

Okay, so this has been done to death already, but I just want to point one more thing out: most Chinese dialects distinguish between "l" and "r" in a lot of cases.

When you see things like "Toys L Us" in Chinatown, it's ascribing to Chinese people a Japanese stereotype.

That's orientalism, and it's racist.
That's actually very interesting. I don't know either language well enough to make the distinction myself.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I learned it by thinking how Lee is a stereotypical Chinese last name so they have the "L" sound.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Gaunab posted:

I learned it by thinking how Lee is a stereotypical Chinese last name so they have the "L" sound.

Even knowing that I still thought the two sounds were the same in Chinese until I had an exchange student roommate with both an l and r sound in his name.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rirse posted:

Which didn't this act erase his son and daughter from history, which his son was already gay!

:goonsay: Different universe in the new continuity. They're bringing back the old old Alan Scott back pretty soon. Maybe Obsidian will come back with him?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Davros1 posted:

That reminds me of DC Comics having a character that they boasted was the first gay character (Extrano), but not that you'd never know, since it was never mentioned in the comics.

Well they never used the term gay but he was pretty flaming. He told his team to consider him their "auntie". Plus there was the time-in the eighties-many of his teammates contracted hiv from an apartheid vampire (New Guardians was weird yo) and he revealed he already had it because of his "lifestyle choices"...And let's not forget his name basically meant "Queer"...

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Chinese does have an r but it is not really like the English r. I'm bad at explaining in text, but its more like the first part of a Spanish rolled r, before you start rolling it. I get annoyed at the stereotypical chinese accent because it doesnt sound anything like an actual Chinese accent, moreso than most joke accents people put on.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Brooklyn 99 basically ruined all other gay characters on past TV sitcoms.

Captain Holt is the best TV gay man - he is extremely competent at his job, he likes and respects the people he works with, and the people he works with like and respect him. They all acknowledge he's gay, they're all willing to talk about his sexuality with him, and they don't really care because its 2017 and that's fairly realistic for them all living in NYC (and lots of other places too, don't get me wrong here).

And Holt is gay - he's not even straightwashing the character by making him gay in name only, he and his partner go on long road trips to buy pies for thanksgiving, they have dogs together, they go to brunch. They're a gay couple but they're funny because they do and say funny things, not specifically because they're gay.

It sounds like a very simple thing but when you go watch other gay characters on TV shows they basically seem like they're in rainbow-face in comparison.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Davros1 posted:

He had AIDS. Do I need to draw you a map? Duh. :smugdon: DC comics respects the audience's ability to pick up on the obvious implication.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Tumble posted:

Captain Holt is the best TV gay man - he is extremely competent at his job, he likes and respects the people he works with, and the people he works with like and respect him. They all acknowledge he's gay, they're all willing to talk about his sexuality with him, and they don't really care because its 2017 and that's fairly realistic for them all living in NYC (and lots of other places too, don't get me wrong here).

And Holt is gay - he's not even straightwashing the character by making him gay in name only, he and his partner go on long road trips to buy pies for thanksgiving, they have dogs together, they go to brunch. They're a gay couple but they're funny because they do and say funny things, not specifically because they're gay.

It sounds like a very simple thing but when you go watch other gay characters on TV shows they basically seem like they're in rainbow-face in comparison.

I like when that politician tries to throw his weight around to try to intimidate Holt into dropping Jake's charges against his son. Holt's response: "I was an openly gay black man in the 1980s. What the hell do you think you can do to me that hasn't already been done?" or something along those lines.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Tumble posted:

I want to have dogs with you too.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Tumble posted:

Brooklyn 99 basically ruined all other past TV sitcoms.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

volts5000 posted:

It's the weaker of the four, but it's still decent. I still say "Big Ben! Parliament!" when showing the kids something interesting while on the road.

You better not say 'Big Ben' when on the road, that's the name of the bell, not the tower.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my favourite reveal in Brooklyn 99 is that the fat, incompetent cops aren't actually incompetent. They had decades of good police work under their belt, and now they just phone it in with minimal effort at their deskjobs because they're fat, old and tired, as proven when Peralta calls them out on their poor work ethic and they pull their fingers out for the first time in a long time to prove him wrong.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Also the show has a bi-character now too.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't get that at all. My exposure to Will & Grace is limited but isn't his character's whole thing is that he doesn't come off as cartoonishly gay as the other gay character on the show (I don't know his name)?

Will was the type that wasn't obviously gay but wasn't closeted, so your ordinary "invisible gay person". Jack was the stereotype for, and I now quote the series itself, "so gay that there is a possibility that they run out of the spectrum to measure him".

Here Will & Grace was between shows that I actually liked, that's my excuse.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Tumble posted:

Holt's favorite breakfast is plain toast, considers omelets a "vacation food", and was horrified that Amy and Jake were forced to endure "Jazz Brunch". I may have missed an episode but I am very certain that he does not love brunch.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

B99 is really funny but as with all wacky sitcoms I find it hard watching more than two at a time

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tumble posted:

My only problem with Holt is sometimes I get the feeling they've written the character in such a way that they can use it as an excuse not to show him and his husband exchanging any physical affection.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Davros1 posted:

My only problem with Holt is sometimes I get the feeling they've written the character in such a way that they can use it as an excuse not to show him and his husband exchanging any physical affection.

I read an interview with Andre Braugher about B99 and I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s his request, not the writers. He’s just very loyal to his wife is all. It’s not a show with a lot of direct physical affection anyway.

That episode in the first season where Jake meets his homophobic crime reporter idol really sells Holt’s sexuality as a part of his character. Jake fucks up as a cop and is treated as a cop, even though he’s defending Holt.

And then the other extreme is Rosa telling Holt he needs to bone. :3: Great show.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

oldpainless posted:

B99 is really funny but as with all wacky sitcoms I find it hard watching more than two at a time

then buy more tvs

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Holt's favorite breakfast is plain toast, considers omelets a "vacation food", and was horrified that Amy and Jake were forced to endure "Jazz Brunch". I may have missed an episode but I am very certain that he does not love brunch.

They've been a bit inconsistent on Holt and food, at one point he talks favourably about Boyle's blog because it talks about "mouth feel".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They've been a bit inconsistent on Holt and food, at one point he talks favourably about Boyle's blog because it talks about "mouth feel".

Plain toast doesn't have "mouth feel"?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Don Gato posted:

Chinese does have an r but it is not really like the English r. I'm bad at explaining in text, but its more like the first part of a Spanish rolled r, before you start rolling it. I get annoyed at the stereotypical chinese accent because it doesnt sound anything like an actual Chinese accent, moreso than most joke accents people put on.

Japanese has a similar thing going on, maybe even the same sound? How to pronounce Ryu's name correctly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

oldpainless posted:

Well, it is meant to be watched at a rate of one episode a week.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I could crosspost this in the irritating movie moments thread but Knocked Up has not aged well.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

I could crosspost this in the irritating movie moments thread but Knocked Up has not aged well.

How so?

Katherine Heigl became extraordinary annoying but otherwise it's a timeless tell of knocking ladies up and doing drugs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So I'm not sure if this exactly qualifies, but last season's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend had a whole somewhat whimsical episode with musical number about the Santa Ana Winds, and.. well.. let's say I'm not sure how much Californians would appreciate levity about a major contributor to this year's obscenely destructive fires if it were to be broadcast January 20, 2018, rather than 2017.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

How so?

Katherine Heigl became extraordinary annoying but otherwise it's a timeless tell of knocking ladies up and doing drugs.

Reading up on it, Heigl's comments about the film were true but taken out of context:

Katherine Heigl in Vanity Fair posted:

Katherine Heigl tells Vanity Fair contributing editor Leslie Bennetts that she thinks Knocked Up, the movie that catapulted her onto the A-list, is "a little sexist. It paints the women as shrews, as humorless and uptight, and it paints the men as lovable, goofy, fun-loving guys. It exaggerated the characters, and I had a hard time with it, on some days. I'm playing such a bitch; why is she being such a killjoy? Why is this how you're portraying women? Ninety-eight percent of the time it was an amazing experience, but it was hard for me to love the movie."

Also Hiegl's character turning her life upside down because she got knocked up by a lazy stoner she has no connection with.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, her character's life shouldn't have changed at all when she got pregnant. Just like in real life.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, her character's life shouldn't have changed at all when she got pregnant. Just like in real life.

Abortions? what the gently caress are those ?? :confused:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

You sure got me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Abortions are cool and good. Everyone should have more abortions