Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The first series of Companion Chronicles stories are finally available as downloads at Big Finish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

The first series of Companion Chronicles stories are finally available as downloads at Big Finish!

I'm really really hoping this is a sign of things to come; I want the first few Gallifrey stories too!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

I’m pretty sure 2011 was the last time he was universally acclaimed on SA.

Does no one remember day of the loving doctor?

Also night of.

gently caress y'all

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

BSam posted:

Does no one remember day of the loving doctor?

I do and I didn't like it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"Something old, something new, something borrowed, something.... blue" ranks right up there as one of my favorite, most emotionally satisfying and :hellyeah: moments in Who.

But then of course there's also:

Moment: You know the sound the TARDIS makes? That wheezing, groaning. That sound brings hope wherever it goes.
War Doctor: Yes. Yes, I like to think it does.
Moment: To anyone who hears it, Doctor. Anyone, however lost.

God I loved Day of the Doctor

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I had a feeling that the Moment didn't want to be used - hence her warning to the War Doctor when 10 and 12 are arguing: "They're what you become if you destroy Galifrey... The one who regrets... and the one who forgets..." That argument was pretty good too. Just Matt's cold response to Tennant asking how he could forget something so big/not bother to count: "What would be the point?" He genuinely did a great job of being the Old Man with the Young Face.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

BioEnchanted posted:

With the Ponds I kind of liked Amy's outburst when she brings the Doctor back from her own memories of him - "I remember you Raggedy Man and you are LATE FOR MY WEDDING! :byodame:" Also Rory was the best. Although River's plot with the silence was a bit weird, when all the conspirators are being killed by the Silence electrocuting them through their eyepatches, then Madame Kovarian ends up begging Amy for help after managing to mostly remove her eyepatch, to which Amy responds "[River] didn't get it all from you, Sweetie" and puts the eyepatch back on her, letting her die. They were going for badass, but it came off as a bit sociopathic.
I don't think it was really meant to be badass so much as... I guess cathartic? The Wedding Of River Song has a lot of Big Bang moments turned on their head, and Amy killing Kovarian sort of mixes River killing the Dalek with the "something old, something new" bit, except instead of being a big cathartic moment for everyone that brings the Doctor back, it's a very personal catharsis for Amy that might be hard for other people to endorse, and which the Doctor shouldn't be present for. Bear in mind Amy is disturbed about it later, and River's attempt to reassure her isn't to say it was the right thing to do but that, since that whole timeline was erased, it never actually happened

BioEnchanted posted:

I had a feeling that the Moment didn't want to be used - hence her warning to the War Doctor when 10 and 12 are arguing: "They're what you become if you destroy Galifrey... The one who regrets... and the one who forgets..." That argument was pretty good too. Just Matt's cold response to Tennant asking how he could forget something so big/not bother to count: "What would be the point?" He genuinely did a great job of being the Old Man with the Young Face.

I sort of think the ending is the Moment being used, just not as a bomb. It's meant to have this vast power, which sounds like what you'd need to let the same guy break through a time lock at 13 separate points in his own timeline.

I just popped on Day Of The Doctor (I'm doing Waters Of Mars-Day-End Of Time-Eleventh Hour all in a row, for a laugh) and lmao at the Doctor trying to look smart at the beginning, reading a book called ADVANCED QUANTUM MECHANICS

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Chibbers also wrote the sex gas episode, which was stupider than Cyberwoman.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

BioEnchanted posted:

With the Ponds I kind of liked Amy's outburst when she brings the Doctor back from her own memories of him - "I remember you Raggedy Man and you are LATE FOR MY WEDDING! :byodame:"
Karen Gillan's bizarre line read on that is probably my favorite Amy Pond moment

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

2house2fly posted:

I just popped on Day Of The Doctor (I'm doing Waters Of Mars-Day-End Of Time-Eleventh Hour all in a row, for a laugh) and lmao at the Doctor trying to look smart at the beginning, reading a book called ADVANCED QUANTUM MECHANICS

He probably just likes pointing out the mistakes. :3: "Lol, they still think of electrons as a loving cloud... bloody cavemen... well at least they've moved past little balls"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TinTower posted:

Chibbers also wrote the sex gas episode, which was stupider than Cyberwoman.

"Look how adult we are, people are getting hosed... TO DEATH!"

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

The Fuckers of Death would have been a great title for TV Torchwood.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also I thought the Master/Missy divide was entirely in character - she only changed her name so that the Doctor wouldn't catch on immediately, hence pretending to be a robot and dropping silly hints like "My heart is maintained... by the Doctor."

It didn't feel overly pandering to me as a result - everyone else thought of her as still the same old dangerous person, just with a new face and a new pronoun. She was never underestimated due to her gender.

Also apparently the little moment after her capture when she started singing Mickey to herself was actually Michelle Gomez messing around and not expecting it to be left in - she was often singing to herself like that, the "Oh Missy, You're so fine, You're so fine it blows my mind, Hey Missy. Hey Hey, hey Missy... sorry :shobon:." was just Michelle playing around on set, then apologising for breaking character/wasting time.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Fil5000 posted:

*twaang!*

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Stabbatical posted:

The Fuckers of Death would have been a great title for TV Torchwood.

The Fuckers of Death is why I hate Countrycide, which some people have called one of like three good episodes of Torchwood. It's really hard to do a "maybe the real monster after all is man" when the only monsters you've dealt with so far are alien sex gas and a loving Cyberwoman.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

BioEnchanted posted:

He probably just likes pointing out the mistakes. :3: "Lol, they still think of electrons as a loving cloud... bloody cavemen... well at least they've moved past little balls"

Personally I'm of the opinion that it was a fake dust jacket over a Dandy annual

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

2house2fly posted:

lmao at the Doctor trying to look smart at the beginning, reading a book called ADVANCED QUANTUM MECHANICS

What bothers me is it has a picture of the TARDIS on the cover. I guess you could argue that it’s an ‘ex libris TARDIS’ edition with extra jokes and wackiness.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Now I'm sad all over again :smith:
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/947422346607861760

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If nothing else, I'm glad for the re-confirmation that we're getting Series 11 in 2018.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Aww, I’ve been in that room. Walking onto that TARDIS set was amazing.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Huh, that's not what I expected an exterior shot of the Tardis to look like. The exterior is less spacious-looking than I expected, given how large the interior seems. :haw:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Huh, that's not what I expected an exterior shot of the Tardis to look like. The exterior is less spacious-looking than I expected, given how large the interior seems. :haw:

The fabric coverings at the top let through light, especially the fluorescent lights on the studio ceiling when they’re on. You don’t see it in the show so they look solid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh, they're redecorating...

I don't like it :cry:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

Physics/maths textbooks called "Advanced [whatever]" are usually mid-tier undergrad; the ones you really have to look out for are the ones titled "An Introduction to [whatever]", those are the hard ones

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

One of the reasons I'm not completely despairing of Chibnall taking over (aside from that excellent first thirty seconds of Jodie Whittaker and the excellent first season of Broadchurch) is that there's a solidly linear quality progression over his career in Who-land (which I think is broadly his career in general up until Broadchurch and Law and Order UK).

It goes from Early Torchwood (poo poo) -> Later Torchwood (not entirely poo poo) -> 42 (Not weaponized awfulness but still pretty bad) -> That Silurian Two-Parter (Still pretty bad) -> Dinosaurs On A Spaceship (not high art, but loads of stupid fun) -> The Power Of Three (is this...is this good?!?)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

BioEnchanted posted:

Also I thought the Master/Missy divide was entirely in character - she only changed her name so that the Doctor wouldn't catch on immediately, hence pretending to be a robot and dropping silly hints like "My heart is maintained... by the Doctor."

It didn't feel overly pandering to me as a result - everyone else thought of her as still the same old dangerous person, just with a new face and a new pronoun. She was never underestimated due to her gender.

Also apparently the little moment after her capture when she started singing Mickey to herself was actually Michelle Gomez messing around and not expecting it to be left in - she was often singing to herself like that, the "Oh Missy, You're so fine, You're so fine it blows my mind, Hey Missy. Hey Hey, hey Missy... sorry :shobon:." was just Michelle playing around on set, then apologising for breaking character/wasting time.

Missy sucks because they continually used her as a Clever Foreshadowing thing and it was awful. gently caress off with your tea

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Power of Three is a two parter that forgot it wouldn't have a second part.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I'm doing Waters Of Mars-Day-End Of Time-Eleventh Hour all in a row, for a laugh)

Ok so to continue this in chronological order, you'd go Eleventh Hour>straight to Time Of The Doctor, then World Enough And Time, which is when the John Simm Master next shows up after End Of Time, then Dark Water/Death In Heaven and Heaven Sent/Hell Bent to close out the Gallifrey bits. What a tangled web we weave

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!

The_Doctor posted:

What bothers me is it has a picture of the TARDIS on the cover. I guess you could argue that it’s an ‘ex libris TARDIS’ edition with extra jokes and wackiness.

It always bothers me that he breaks the 4th wall looking right at the camera during that scene, I desperately try to rationalize it in my head as "well people do that to the imaginary 4th wall in RL if someone does an 'oh you!' thing, he just coincidentally looked where the camera actually was".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jeffe posted:

It always bothers me that he breaks the 4th wall looking right at the camera during that scene, I desperately try to rationalize it in my head as "well people do that to the imaginary 4th wall in RL if someone does an 'oh you!' thing, he just coincidentally looked where the camera actually was".

12 looks at the camera all the time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 31, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

4: "Even the sonic screwdriver won't get me out of this one."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m stuck at home sick, so I’m watching the TV Movie Blu-ray I got for Xmas, and hopefully it’ll line up to midnight.

This Blu-ray transfer is both good and really bad. Some of it might be my tv though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Physics/maths textbooks called "Advanced [whatever]" are usually mid-tier undergrad; the ones you really have to look out for are the ones titled "An Introduction to [whatever]", those are the hard ones

And then there's Mathematics Made Difficult, which is one of my favourite books of all time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I love this man to bits

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Man, the HADS really let 7 down. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ah, my second favourite Master, CGI Snake. :allears:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And then there's Mathematics Made Difficult, which is one of my favourite books of all time.

I recommend this to everyone who is a mathematician

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And a happy new year to all of you at home

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Davros1 posted:

4: "Even the sonic screwdriver won't get me out of this one."
Wonder what that was for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I love Lee’s little ‘nuh uh, nope’ head shake when he enters the TARDIS.

• Locked thread