Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Had 150 mythril set aside but after two pulls I now have way too many dupes.

Went 4/22 with:

Squall BSB2
Lightning USB
Snow CSB
Rinoa BSB (dupe)

I guess I'm diving Squall now! Lightning's USB is also rad as hell, though my only other physical lightning relic that's worth a poo poo is Orlandeau's OSB. Might have to craft a second Thundering Quadstrike to be able to use them together.

Snow's CSB is...a chain, I guess? I'm honestly not even sure if it's worth bringing him just to set off a chain and then contribute basically nothing else. He can spam Omega Drive, I suppose. I dunno if that's better than bringing another dedicated DPS character, overall. Gonna have to do some testing.

Also dammit game give me some more spellblade motes, I can't even give Squall access to Snowspell Strike.

After a frustrating streak of really awful pulls, this fest has been pretty drat good to me! I now have a chain for every element except Holy, Earth, and Lightning. Granted my Fire and Ice chains are the "less good" ones, but still. Picked up some really good relics to shore up my ice and fire teams, which were two of my weakest, and the only real wet fart was the earth banner, which I should have known better than to pull on. I can consistently sub 1:00 Hydra at least, but 30 seconds is really far off still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Considering how many MC3s we keep getting for killing endgame bosses in the current fest (9 so far, plus more with BRA*BRA), how many does JP have in comparison? At this rate I would not be surprised if you could get one for every character, or nearly all of them.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
All these MC3's is muy bueno

Lets me get some mugs up to par. shame I ran out of cholesterol

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 1, 2018

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

I decided to pull twice and went 2/22... lightning USB and BSB2... that's cool and good but I've been pulling for chains. At least I'll end the fest with 3 new and good chains. I have enough to pull on 5 but I'm saving for onion knight since holy and dark are already really strong for me without chains.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I hate all of you that got good pulls.

I pulled 7 total times, some with mythril and some with gems, and I did not get even 1 single 6*. It was all dupes and a couple new 5* BSBs that were meh.

The biggest victory was getting a couple new reforged relics. :toot:?

Happy New Year goons.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
I should reforge a bunch of this 5* poo poo I dont need or ever use since 6* swords are straight up stronger than pretty much anything even synergized in the 1st year.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Do status resistances stack? I've been legend diving yshitola and shes got a minor silence resistance node and a moderate silence resistance node - do these stack or does the greater effect overwrite the lesser one? What happens if I equip her with a silence resist accessory?

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Speaking of which do Double cast LMR's stack with double cast RM's?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Shoenin posted:

Yes. You can get triplecasts a non negligible number of times by pairing them up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shoenin posted:

They can proc separately, and read "doublecast" as "one extra cast". So if you had two 50% doublecast relics (don't exist but easier math) then you'd get a singlecast (none proc) 1/4 of the time, doublecast (either one procs) 1/2 of the time, and triplecast (both proc) 1/4 of the time.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Do status resistances stack? I've been legend diving yshitola and shes got a minor silence resistance node and a moderate silence resistance node - do these stack or does the greater effect overwrite the lesser one? What happens if I equip her with a silence resist accessory?
Status resistances do stack, though mild + moderate won't do much more than the moderate resist on its own. Status procs are expressed as 3% * (1 + [base]/[Resistance]), where Resistance is either 1 (with no resistance) or the sum of all resist status resist values (with resistance). So with the maximum value of [base] = 100, you have a 303% chance of the effect hitting (generally seen on gravity effects), which is then capped at 100%. Mild status resist has a resist value of 2, moderate gives 10, and major gives 100; all are at +1 with synergy. So mild + moderate sets your Resistance to 12 instead of 10, but moderate + moderate sets it to 20. Also, recall how the proc chance is capped at 100%? Effects like Affliction Break or Fujin's SB apply after the cap, so even a >100% proc chance is reduced to 50%. (Gravity effects - dealing a percentage of current or maximum health - are the exception to this.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Man, Orthos is rough even without doing him multiplayer. Hits like a solid truck, apocalypse tentacle spam.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Id also like start off the new year to reiterate how glorious and good it is to have the opening post involve Scott Steiner in some way.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Going by this: http://dirge.tv/ffrk/event-list/, I'll want to pull on those anniversary 1 & 4 banners. Approx how much mythtil can I expect to stockpile by march?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
somehow navigated the minefield of dupes and got 2/11, all new relics, one being snow chain (not the better of the ice chains but a chain is a chain)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Man, Orthos is rough even without doing him multiplayer. Hits like a solid truck, apocalypse tentacle spam.
I got by with a back row party, that new -ATK/MAG dance, and Raines BSB to blunt Apocalypse Tentacle. And according the the SP AI he's programmed to use it three times in a row, either upon reaching 40% health or after 8 turns.

Though that said, how different is the fight in MP? Orthros claimed that he was bringing in Typhon as a ringer but then left after grumbling about me facing him on single player.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

pichupal posted:

We're actually 2 months off getting exactly that with the Freya IX event.

oh hell yes, definitely honing that

Avalerion posted:

Going by this: http://dirge.tv/ffrk/event-list/, I'll want to pull on those anniversary 1 & 4 banners. Approx how much mythtil can I expect to stockpile by march?

Depends on if we get a return of the daily missions that were around briefly a few months ago. If you're in the habit of logging in every day and fully clearing events and the dungeon updates when they drop, doing all the multiplayer fights, and getting the 5 mythril from doing 20 magicite clears per month, you can estimate roughly 110 mythril per month (provided you skip the lucky draw that comes with the DU release, which is becoming increasingly advisable with the relic pools diluted with tons of SSBs and LMRs). There'll usually be some one-off gifts and stuff so that's a conservative estimate, but also the Japanese version got a series of 5-mythril 3 pulls (with 1 guaranteed 5* or better) for each realm I-XV leading up to the 3rd anniversary which we're likely to get as well. So you might want to count on spending some or all of that 75.

I would say if you're going to skip the DU luckies but do the realm happy draws (or whatever they end up calling them in English), 300 plus whatever you have is probably about what you'll be dealing with. Of course, that assumes that you're not going to be spending on any of the event banners between now and then, and there are some really good ones in the next couple months.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

NGDBSS posted:

I got by with a back row party, that new -ATK/MAG dance, and Raines BSB to blunt Apocalypse Tentacle. And according the the SP AI he's programmed to use it three times in a row, either upon reaching 40% health or after 8 turns.

Though that said, how different is the fight in MP? Orthros claimed that he was bringing in Typhon as a ringer but then left after grumbling about me facing him on single player.

In MP he brings in Cagnazzo as his backup and you need eight attacks to break his water shield or else you get hit with a tsunami that can break the damage cap.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Happy 2018 goon keepers. Since this day is dedicated to eating pizza and doing nothing of value while recovering have a relic review.

Limelit Stage or "BraBra3"

"Instrument users" with 12 relics so the SSBs are 2% chance while the rest are 1. This will be up in ~12 hours from now. We knew this was coming but we didn't know what actually was going to be on it until it was datamined earlier today.

I didn't dig up if the relics have +element boosts because it's a pain in the rear end to do from Enlir's.

Alternatives:
XII-1
XII-2 (don't pull on this banner)
Fest-4 (Attestant)
Fest-5 (A&O)
VI-1
VI-2
Dungeon Update 40 Lucky Draw (FFX, FFXI, FFT)
OK God Banner

Edward USB
MAG, RES and MND +30% for 25 seconds, grants Haste and Magical Quick Cast 2

Mage tribuffshout and Magic QC2. Nothing is wasted here, everything is excellent and super useful. I love tribuffs because you can easily stack another buff on top.

Consider how good this is and then consider OK USB1 is this but strictly better with an added EX mode and MQC3 instead. However the Spoony Bard can just say Allegro con Moto and the MGC is up on the team again which is something OK can't do.

Bards are very good in the current meta.

Top tier mage team buffer.

Desch USB
Ten single Lightning, NE attacks (1,70 each), causes Imperil Lightning 20% for 25 seconds, grants Magical Quick Cast 3 to all allies

Interesting. If we look later down the banner we see that this is the definition of an Ultra, an improved SSB. However ST is worse than random for something that applies an effect and the multiplier is slightly weaker. Instead of self mag+30 we have party MQC3 instead which is obviously more potent in a caster party. Feels lacking for an Ultra but not bad by any stretch. I think they overcompensated weakening this for the party buff effect.

Great.

Kefka OSB
1xST Dark, NE 37,50 Breaks damage cap, 42,50 multiplier if exploiting elemental weakness

Top tier animation. Good multiplier vs dark.

Good.

Echo BSB2
Six group Holy, NE attacks (2,32 each), ATK, DEF, MAG, RES and MND -30% for 25 seconds, grants Haste and Burst Mode to the user
CMD1 1x4,90 ST Holy, NE ATK -40% for 15 seconds
CMD2 1x4,90 ST Holy, NE MAG -50% for 15 seconds

AoE Pentabreak on a BSB is a good start but the commands are weak. Just use Multibreak and either of the 5* twinbreaks instead, while they would all stack there's not enough time to keep all of these up. Obviously stone useless for break resist fights.

Decent.

Kefka BSB2
Eight random Dark, Poison attacks (1,88 each), grants Haste, Attach Dark and Burst Mode to the user
CMD1 ST Dark, Poison Two single attacks (2,20 each), causes Madness -10/20/30/30% for 25 seconds scaling with uses
CMD2 ST Dark, Poison 3/4/5/6 single attacks (2,30/2,35/2,40/3,00 each) scaling with Descent Into Madness uses

If you know what Squall BSB2 does this should look pretty familiar. Using CMD1 makes CMD2 stronger and gain more hits. Additionally the "Madness" from CMD1 is a mag debuff on the enemy which is not nothing. I'm assuming it's there to compensate for Squall also gaining crit chance since spells can't crit.

If we look at the top end we have 6x 3,0 =18,0 hit which is above soul breaks in multiplier. However we must also consider the weak CMD1 2x2,2 = 4,4 we must use to get there. The best damage ability Kefka has is Dark Zone that is a ludicrous 4x 3,5 = 14 with doom so only the 5 and 6 hit CMD2s can even attempt to compete and by then you've wasted a lot of damage using CMD1. With his doublecast LMR you might get to higher stacks quicker but you could've also dual casted Dark Zone with those turns.

It's not that simple though since the clown man can Bard maybe so you can't doom yourself because you're bringing other abilities to the battle instead in which case the damage comparison is more favorable. Adjust the rating upwards accordingly.

Dark Zone is stupid.

Great.

Eiko BSB
Restores HP (85), grants Critical Chance 50% for 25 seconds, grants Haste and Burst Mode to the user
CMD1 Restores HP (105), grants Physical Blink 1
CMD2 Restores HP (25) All allies

What you want from BSBs is things you can't just do better with abilities and this fits the bill perfectly. Party crit fix is rare and it being attached to a useful thing like party heal is great. CMD1 having a Pblink is great tech even if it's not instant.

Excellent.

Edward BSB
Causes Imperil Holy 20% for 25 seconds, ATK +50% to all allies for 25 seconds, grants Haste and Burst Mode to the user
CMD1 1xST 1,95 Holy, ATK and MAG -20% for 15 seconds, causes Sap to the user, ranged attack
CMD2 1xST 1,95 Holy, DEF and RES -20% for 15 seconds, causes Sap to the user, ranged attack

Excellent entry for your physical holy team. The commands are weaker versions of the 5* dancer abilities but Edward isn't a dancer so this is something he normally doesn't have access to. I don't really care about the self sap but you should keep it in mind if you're going to use last stand with this.

Great.

Kefka LMR
25% chance to dualcast abilities that deal Dark damage

Dual cast Dark Zone or BSB2 commands for a massive beating. If you assume this is a flat 25% damage increase to Dark Zone's multiplier it becomes stronger than casting a non-OSB soul break every turn without the slower cast speed though damage capping might be an issue.

Dark Zone is stupid.

Excellent.

Edward LMR
Increases the duration of stat buffs by 30%

Edward is capable of reapplying his lone SBs just fine so we're looking for potential to use two buff SBs at the same time. Mage trishout and ATK+50 don't really scream "STACK US TOGETHER" to me so we're actually looking for his SSB (MAG and MND +30% for 25 seconds, grants Magical Quick Cast 3) to use with his USB. Which for some reason is not present on this banner.

If you have his SSB and USB this can work out. Also good with the upcoming bard buff skills.

Good.

Tyro LMR
Grants Instant Cast 2 at the beginning of the battle

Something's out of place here but at least it's just the effect your start-with-drmogs-buffer/entruster wants.

Excellent.

Desch SSB
Six random Lightning, NE attacks (2,94 each), causes Imperil Lightning 20% for 25 seconds, MAG +30% to the user for 25 seconds

Good multiplier, good effect and it has a magic buff on top. Better than most BSBs these days.

Good.

Kefka SSB
Seven NE random attacks (2,54 each), grants Magical Quick Cast 3 to all allies

I'm not sure why this is NE only making it weak but Magical QC3 is still an acceptable effect. For a CM team to have.

Acceptable for CMs.

Not a bad banner. Pull for your favorites.

Neutral Zone Trap fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 1, 2018

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Alright I have 100 mythril lets see how this goes!

:negative:

That makes my luck look good! Imagine if you had spent 60 dollars on that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Guys if I have cloud BSB2 and now USB what is the “ideal” setup?

I’ve been trying this:

Cloud usb bsb
Tidus usb
Rikku usb and debuffs
Healer
Ramza, chant shout and entrust

I can’t tell if I do more damage with ramza and rikku both buffing attack or if ramza does chant. I realize clouds bsb and omega drive favor attack stacking.

Also this feels strong enough I feel like I can slap this into random magicite teams even if wind isn’t the element

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Now that I've pulled Squall's BSB2 I'm torn on whether to focus on diving him or Bartz (BSB2 + 3) for my dual cast spell blade needs. Squall would obviously have more raw power with his BSB2, but at this point my Ice synergy is actually pretty good (I have a fully dived Laguna with his USB) while Bartz would help shore up my lackluster Earth team and he's still a part of my Water team.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Guys if I have cloud BSB2 and now USB what is the “ideal” setup?

I’ve been trying this:

Cloud usb bsb
Tidus usb
Rikku usb and debuffs
Healer
Ramza, chant shout and entrust

I can’t tell if I do more damage with ramza and rikku both buffing attack or if ramza does chant. I realize clouds bsb and omega drive favor attack stacking.

Also this feels strong enough I feel like I can slap this into random magicite teams even if wind isn’t the element

You could also focus on having Ramza using both Chant and Shout, since they both play well with Cloud's USB. I haven't fully explored the power of Cloud with his USB, but I've at least seen some pretty crazy stuff with people buff stacking and abusing USB/Omega Drive/Demonsblood on him.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

The best damage ability Kefka has is Dark Zone

Everybody always forgets about Morbid Countdown.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Crazy Larry posted:

Now that I've pulled Squall's BSB2 I'm torn on whether to focus on diving him or Bartz (BSB2 + 3) for my dual cast spell blade needs. Squall would obviously have more raw power with his BSB2, but at this point my Ice synergy is actually pretty good (I have a fully dived Laguna with his USB) while Bartz would help shore up my lackluster Earth team and he's still a part of my Water team.

I already have a dived Bartz with exactly the relics you have, and tbh I'm probably diving Squall now, too, since I pulled his BSB2. Maybe having two dual-casting spellblades on the roster isn't the most min-max ideal use of motes, but my ice game is pretty weak and while Bartz is a great swiss army knife, there's something to be said for doing one thing really well, too.

That being said, if you aren't hurting for ice options, Bartz may be the way to go. You can still give him access to SSS for gobs of ice damage if you need. He's a staple on my physical teams because he can hit almost every element really, really hard, and his BSBs let him hit elements that are otherwise pretty tricky for the other spellblades (for now at least). Plus if you ever nab his USB at some point, he's just bonkers, whereas it sounds like Squall's BSB2 *is* his USB, effectively.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Did not do the best on my budgeted banner 4 pull

-Shelke BSB (have her LMR sooo I guess shes slightly more than an entrust bot now)
-Dupe Edea BSB (Like one of my two dupes on this banner doh!)

Did a gem pull and got Squall LMR.... which I don't have anything else Squall

Ahhh well.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Squall with just his LMR can still do a chunk with his LM2 and Snowspell Strike.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

ApplesandOranges posted:

Squall with just his LMR can still do a chunk with his LM2 and Snowspell Strike.

If only I hadn't been dumb and wasted those precious motes on TGCid... There's a reason we put that big DONT BE DUMB AND WASTE MOTES thing in the OP. Dumb dumbs like me that did things and went oh poo poo months later.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Even without the LM2, it's 50% extra damage on a great ability and for no opportunity cost. I'd take that over a garbage SSB any day.

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005
Didn't have a lot going into the fest so I'm done pulling and saving for OK Banner. Here's how I did:

Banner 1 100 gem: Krile's en-fire LM. Pretty happy, it's +Fire armor and I have her SSB, which I was already using on my fire magicite team so that'll add a little more damage
Banner 2 3/11: Galuf USB, Tifa OSB, Rydia BSB. No dupes, but not great. Rydia's is probably decent given it's summoning. I'll have a hard time getting Galuf in anywhere, but at least the hammer is +Earth.
Banner 4 3/11: Snow CSB, Desch BSB, Squall BSB2 (dupe). Sweet, my second chain. Weird Snow doesn't have access to any ice abilities but whatever. I was hoping to walk away with an obvious Lightning character to dive, and I don't think Desch is the one to do it. I've got a number of really good magic Lightning bursts but they don't seem to be of the Papa/Cid/etc level to dive.

I totally forgot to do the Crystal Tower, does that come back?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Spikey posted:

In MP he brings in Cagnazzo as his backup and you need eight attacks to break his water shield or else you get hit with a tsunami that can break the damage cap.

So basically you're supposed to solo him?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fenrir down. It's almost as if getting a chain and two en-ice BSBs for an element I had nothing in managed to boost my damage. Squall's BSB2 is indeed amazing, after only one junction I was hitting quad-nines on damage, so any LM2 procs were just gravy. +9999 damage per attack gravy.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Philouza posted:

I totally forgot to do the Crystal Tower, does that come back?

There'll be more (monthly?) Crystal Towers, but if you missed out on the rewards from this one then they're gone. On the plus side, people have mentioned that there hasn't been anything in future Towers that's as bullshit as Diamond Weapon.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Fister Roboto posted:

Everybody always forgets about Morbid Countdown.

Unlike Necrofear Morbid Countdown is actually an option but the downside can come to play. I don't use it because DZ already hits for the damage cap but if you can work around the drawback and DZ isn't capping it can be free extra damage.

Personally I'm sticking with Dark Zone at least until I find something it doesn't cap against. And if I find something with high enough resistance to not take 40k from DZ I doubt its HP pool is any less impressive which can literally spell doom if you're shortening your time on this earth.

I did use the free R1 copy in my initial Mist Dragon clears when I wanted to lower Raines' doom counter to improve his OSB multiplier faster.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I had only one dupe on this banner which was who the gently caress is shelke's burst, so I figured I'd throw 50 at it

4/11, squalls bsb2 (already have his usb, so great!), snow's chain (my first chain, great!)

and two of shelke's burst :shepface:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

I had only one dupe on this banner which was who the gently caress is shelke's burst, so I figured I'd throw 50 at it

4/11, squalls bsb2 (already have his usb, so great!), snow's chain (my first chain, great!)

and two of shelke's burst :shepface:

Always never pull.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Always never pull.

He got a chain, one of the best dps BSBs in the game, and either several synergy options for FF7 or one great synergy reforged weapon.

That's a firm "always pull" right there.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Well my first run at Fenrir with my new Snow Chain and Squall BSB2 cut my time literally in half, to 32 seconds. Think I'll be able to tweak my setup a bit and get it under 30.

I will say that Fenrir's phys blink always happens at the absolute worst moments, though. Is it triggered at a specific time interval / hp threshold, or is it just sorta random?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pander posted:

He got a chain, one of the best dps BSBs in the game, and either several synergy options for FF7 or one great synergy reforged weapon.

That's a firm "always pull" right there.

I did not know how to convey the bittersweetness of getting good items bookended with dupes. It was a good pull.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Well my first run at Fenrir with my new Snow Chain and Squall BSB2 cut my time literally in half, to 32 seconds. Think I'll be able to tweak my setup a bit and get it under 30.

I will say that Fenrir's phys blink always happens at the absolute worst moments, though. Is it triggered at a specific time interval / hp threshold, or is it just sorta random?

Interval and HP, which ever comes first. It'll happen on the third turn, the tenth turn or the turn after dropping below 81% HP, then the 25th turn or the turn after dropping below 41%. Then once every ten turns and if you're still there after 50 turns, once every 5.

Reddit A.I. thread if you want to see more detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The first one is scripted as the third(?) action. The later ones happen at 80% HP, then 40% HP, then every 510 turns after that.

e:f;b

For the record, 50 turns is somewhere more than a minute, which is the usual "enter Pissy Magicite Boss mode" trigger. You won't hit the turn thresholds for the Savage Howling Moons before you hit the HP threshold if you're brushing against sub-30.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 1, 2018

• Locked thread