Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ha, Grace looks right at the camera after the ‘These shoes!’ moment when the Doctor runs off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh man, the cgi bats in the Cloister Room look terrible in 1080p. I feel so nerdy that I know their names are Jasper and Stewart (thanks, EDAs).

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
All this talk of Day of the Doctor, let’s not forget how amazing Night of the Doctor was. God it was an awesome surprise.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Man that wig looks terrible in some shots.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lines I actually use in real life: :geno: “I’m glad one of us is amused.”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Aww, I started too late, missed midnight.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh I forgot we get two goes at midnight! Missed both of them! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Happy new year everyone! :toot:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The War Doctor conveniently forgot that 8 was all about kissing too. <:mad:>

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

The War Doctor conveniently forgot that 8 was all about kissing too. <:mad:>

Man snogs ONE redhead, he's stereotyped.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

TinTower posted:

Chibbers also wrote the sex gas episode, which was stupider than Cyberwoman.

Worse, the plot was completely lifted from a 90s Outer Limits episode.

Alyssa Milano was in it and got her boobs out, which made a big impression on me at the time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Maelstache posted:

Worse, the plot was completely lifted from a 90s Outer Limits episode.

Alyssa Milano was in it and got her boobs out, which made a big impression on me at the time.

I love the 90’s Outer Limits, but the showtime seasons are like 50% “what if sci-fi macguffin caused sex :thunk:”. That said, I honestly believe Black Mirror owes more to that show than any other sci-fi/horror anthology because the other 50% were “what if humans invented something cool and then immediately misused it?”.

And then sometimes the two would merge and you’d get “Valerie 23”.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 1, 2018

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Hopefully it's going to it's Forever Home in Cardiff or wherever they have the Doctor Who museum these days... :unsmith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Astroman posted:

Hopefully it's going to it's Forever Home in Cardiff or wherever they have the Doctor Who museum these days... :unsmith:

The Experience closed earlier this year :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well now i want to watch the tv movie you jerks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Do it!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rhyno posted:

Go for it. What's the worst that could happen?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rhyno posted:

Just listen to big finish stuff with 8th doctor instead imo

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I spent nearly two decades between watching the TV movie from its first airdate to when it came out on DVD in North America. Can't say I missed much.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

When I rewatched it I was stunned how much better it was than I remember. Every single goddamn scene is beautifully shot. The plot's a little dodgy at times but that's pretty much classic_doctor_who.txt so ok!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

The Experience closed earlier this year :(

Why would they do that? Is the show really waning in popularity or something ovee there?

Chokes McGee posted:

When I rewatched it I was stunned how much better it was than I remember. Every single goddamn scene is beautifully shot. The plot's a little dodgy at times but that's pretty much classic_doctor_who.txt so ok!

I remember when it came out I was worried it would be an Americanized reboot, and after seeing it, thinking it was awesome and I was looking forward to them doing a series. Other than The Kiss, the "half human" thing, and the Eye of Harmony being inside the TARDIS instead of on Gallifrey, it was remarkably continuity friendly. And after later learning about the stuff they wanted to do with The Doctor's father Ulysses, spider-Daleks, and his brother The Master, it was shocking we got something that fit so well between series.

Also IIRC I was not spoiled about McCoy showing up so the whole beginning was a huge :tviv: moment!

Astroman fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 1, 2018

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love the 90’s Outer Limits, but the showtime seasons are like 50% “what if sci-fi macguffin caused sex :thunk:”. That said, I honestly believe Black Mirror owes more to that show than any other sci-fi/horror anthology because the other 50% were “what if humans invented something cool and then immediately misused it?”.

And then sometimes the two would merge and you’d get “Valerie 23”.

Or the one where the guy invents body repair nanobots and one of the first things they do is make him super good at loving his wife.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Astroman posted:

Why would they do that? Is the show really waning in popularity or something ovee there?

I mean, yes. Gone are the heady days of Tennant over-saturation where his face on orange boxes/packets/etc was everywhere. But sadly it was more earthly concerns that ended it.

BBC Worldwide posted:

The five-year sub-lease on the building (leased from Cardiff Council) has come to an end, with the land now reverting to the council.

“The Doctor Who Experience has enjoyed a fantastic five-year run in Cardiff Bay but, sadly, our five-year sub-lease from the City of Cardiff Council will come to an end in Summer 2017,” BBC Worldwide said in a statement last November.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah a ton of viewers hated the Doctor being old and grumpy and stopped watching.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

marktheando posted:

Yeah a ton of viewers hated the Doctor being old and grumpy and stopped watching.

I'm not convinced by this, because Capaldi's first series had strong ratings throughout

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm not convinced by this, because Capaldi's first series had strong ratings throughout

His first ep got good ratings as new Doctors always do, but declined a fair bit by the 2017 series.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

marktheando posted:

His first ep got good ratings as new Doctors always do, but declined a fair bit by the 2017 series.

His first series got an average that was pretty much the same as all of Smith's series (7.26m, vs 7.5m or so), and had a more consistent audience throughout. It declined by about a million viewers year on year.

To assume from this that it must be because Capaldi was old is a bit of a reach.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

I mean, yes. Gone are the heady days of Tennant over-saturation where his face on orange boxes/packets/etc was everywhere. But sadly it was more earthly concerns that ended it.

How can a lease renewal really be that insurmountable? :confused: Surely Cardiff benefitted from having tourists come to see it more than whatever else they want to use the building for. Unless it's just a case of City Council people flaunting their god-like powers and getting off on it.

Hopefully they'll move it to London where even more people will see it. Seems a shame to have all those props and sets in storage.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

How can a lease renewal really be that insurmountable? :confused: Surely Cardiff benefitted from having tourists come to see it more than whatever else they want to use the building for. Unless it's just a case of City Council people flaunting their god-like powers and getting off on it.

Cardiff only had the lease for five years, all of which they subleased to the BBC. The land is owned by a real estate company called Igloo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Clearly they should get back in contact with Longleat. I miss going there:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

marktheando posted:

Maybe they were turned off by how bad the show got.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

Maybe they were turned off by how bad the show got.

Capaldi’s best series got the worst viewing figures :(

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Hell, right off the bat they started Capaldi with Deep Breath, a completely terrible episode

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

marktheando posted:

Capaldi’s best series got the worst viewing figures :(

Actually series 8 did better than the following two

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Taking a year off probably didn't help. I forgot to check for sure, but I think Rona Munro's episode in 2017 actually got less viewers than the serial she wrote back in the 80s, Survival, after which the show got cancelled

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Taking a year off probably didn't help. I forgot to check for sure, but I think Rona Munro's episode in 2017 actually got less viewers than the serial she wrote back in the 80s, Survival, after which the show got cancelled

I checked and this is true. With the usual disclaimer that 4.73 million viewers in 2017 is a lot better than 5 million viewers in 1989 since nobody watches tv anymore.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is Murray Gold leaving too? Because I adore 11 and 12's themes and I want 13 to have one too.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
As far as I'm given to understand, there are rumors, but it's not official.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Is Murray Gold leaving too? Because I adore 11 and 12's themes and I want 13 to have one too.

Yeah, he's leaving.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, he's leaving.
:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I know some people don’t like the opening theme during 12’s time, but I think it’s one of the strongest ones since the revival.

• Locked thread