Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

drat it, OK. Tennant, Whittaker, ???.

David Bradley plays the grumpy corner store guy who... well, if you haven't seen it, you should see it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Edward Mass posted:

Plus, River was a Moffat character, and I think Chibnall would want to put his own stamp on the show.

See Moffat never bringing back Jack Harmless or any of the old companions

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder if they have the balls to have Thirteen kiss a bunch of girls.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chibnall was the first to write a televised story with Kate Stewart, right? I think it would be nice to see her, Osgood and Thirteen getting poo poo done.

2house2fly posted:

Jack Harmless

That's a shame, he never hurt anyone.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

David Bradley plays the grumpy corner store guy who... well, if you haven't seen it, you should see it!

Oh, him! Forgot about his charatcer!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I would be okay with Osgood never showing up again either. Kate's cool though.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Rhyno posted:

It has some of Capaldi's finest work in the role but the " does the sunset admire you back" stuff was a bit much.

Yeah, but it was worth it just for him mocking her afterwards. "The roots of the sunset?"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'll have to check with the stars themselves.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I also absolutely adore Capaldi's delivery of,"Hello sweetie..." :3:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's worth going back to the Hartnell and Troughton intros from time to time just to watch quite how weird they are

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPxYtLV86W4

If that intro doesn't say "you're gonna see some odd stuff tonight" I don't know what does

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If that intro doesn't say "you're gonna see some odd stuff tonight" I don't know what does

God every time I hear it I'm just transported back to my childhood :allears:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Pff, that just says "Doctor Who" in a pedestrian font. Odd was when the fade-in still said "Doctor Oho."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

2house2fly posted:

See Moffat never bringing back Jack Harmless or any of the old companions

Moffat wanted to bring back Jack for A Good Man Goes to War but he was unavailable.

Plus he brought back Piper for the 50th.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

If they cast Olivia Colman I'm totally on loving board.

I’m pumped for Whittaker, but they really missed their chance to cast Coleman as 13 with David Mitchell and Robert Webb as her bumbling idiot companions.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

Plus, River was a Moffat character, and I think Chibnall would want to put his own stamp on the show.

Alex Kingston returns in Cyberriver! But don't worry, it's a two-parter and the second part is Rivercide.

It is going to be strange having a showrunner who isn't intentionally trolling the fans. Even if Chibnall will probably still be unintentionally trolling the fans.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's worth going back to the Hartnell and Troughton intros from time to time just to watch quite how weird they are

The first time the Hartnell one plays in particular, it's almost openly "Hang on - this is not some normal TV. Anything can happen in this second episode. We might kill those teachers, you don't know. We don't even know, the writer is kind of hostile and hasn't answered our questions about next week's episode, which we're still filming."

Rhyno posted:

UH OH RHYNO HATES WOMEN

We know.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFwYwq_wSU8&t=95s

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

We don't even know, the writer is kind of hostile and hasn't answered our questions about next week's episode, which we're still filming."

I've been reading a biography on Robert Holmes, and writing for the British TV industry in the 60s sound like a loving amazing and terrifying outlaw time. There's a great story about Holmes having lunch with a producer, then the studio calling his agents like a week later saying,"Where is our script?" and they realized Holmes had accidentally been commissioned to write a script without anybody telling him. So they negotiated a higher fee for him, then like 6 weeks later they were getting ready to film and still hadn't gotten the script, and when they finally got hold of him his reaction was,"Oh I decided that script didn't really work so I didn't write it :shrug:" and apparently everybody involved was like,"Well, that's fair enough, no problem!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I've been reading a biography on Robert Holmes, and writing for the British TV industry in the 60s sound like a loving amazing and terrifying outlaw time. There's a great story about Holmes having lunch with a producer, then the studio calling his agents like a week later saying,"Where is our script?" and they realized Holmes had accidentally been commissioned to write a script without anybody telling him. So they negotiated a higher fee for him, then like 6 weeks later they were getting ready to film and still hadn't gotten the script, and when they finally got hold of him his reaction was,"Oh I decided that script didn't really work so I didn't write it :shrug:" and apparently everybody involved was like,"Well, that's fair enough, no problem!"

It's funny how often the Wikipedia article for any given Doctor Who episode is something like "This story was originally commissioned to be based on a script by John Smith, but when the Director stormed out of the studio and kicked over the only TARDIS prop on his way out, the new Director decided that the horror elements were too scary for a children's program. Smith could not be found because he'd been preemptively killed by Kamelion, so David Whitaker was called in to make changes, and subsequently all of the lava monsters were cut from episode 3. The monsters would feature in a later story eight years later, although by that time, they were written by Robert Holmes, who removed the implication that they were robot spies from China. Hartnell was on vacation for all four episodes and features only in pre-filmed inserts."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

If we're talking about characters coming back for Chibnall's run, they could technically bring the Simm Master back at some point (probably not right away, but still) - there's enough ambiguity that he could have had offscreen adventures between escaping Gallifrey and getting stranded on that ship. Or at least, have the Master come back in another form - even if you definitively settle on Missy as the final Master, there's always the option for inserting a whole gamut of regenerations after Simm, since after all we don't actually see him regenerate into Missy onscreen as opposed to McGann>Hurt & Hurt>Eccleston (which I think was deliberate on Moffat's part, considering he's the one who took advantage of the McGann-Eccleston gap in the first place).

I just want to have him try and diss Thirteen, only for her to tell him that he's going to be a she in her future.

Pronouns are...difficult in this situation.

Also speaking of themes, am I the only one who thinks that the Day of the Doctor ending theme was the best?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn5U1eJjSxE

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, he also wrote this:

Starring three actors who have played the Doctor!

The problem for me is, that it had 4 great episodes I really enjoyed and then a few average ones to finish the series that were too long and then a really bad series 2. And apparently another series I haven't watched. Which overall doesn't fill me with any confidence.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Kate Stewart and Osgood are both poo poo. Bring back Brigadier Bambera.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

marktheando posted:

Kate Stewart and Osgood are both poo poo. Bring back Brigadier Bambera.

Bring back Lee Evans Benton

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I just realised the irony of Capaldi's Doctor saying "Never be cruel... always try to be nice and never fail to be kind". The Doctor whose defining feature was insulting everyone he met, even people he was helping.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yvonmukluk posted:

even if you definitively settle on Missy as the final Master,

Quick show of hands; Anyone think Missy is the final master? Anyone at all?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Quick show of hands; Anyone think Missy is the final master? Anyone at all?

Nope.

Probably like most things Moffat wrote as things that affect the continuity and/or will have a huge effect on The Doctor forever. They'll be as important going forward as the Cartmel Masterplan.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah it didn’t cross my mind for a second that the Master has been killed off for good. Wouldn’t even be surprised if we saw Missy again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Payndz posted:

I just realised the irony of Capaldi's Doctor saying "Never be cruel... always try to be nice and never fail to be kind". The Doctor whose defining feature was insulting everyone he met, even people he was helping.

No irony there. It's advice to his future self about his own failings/personality - his tendency to call people stupid idiots even while helping them. "Do your best to not be a jerk (like I was) to people, but make sure that you do good deeds no matter what." Which he did, even while being a dick.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He only really did that in his first series anyway. He mellowed out a lot in series 9, briefly hardening the gently caress up when Clara died, and then in series 10 he was an outright daffy grandpa

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

marktheando posted:

Yeah it didn’t cross my mind for a second that the Master has been killed off for good. Wouldn’t even be surprised if we saw Missy again.

Missy is done, according to Gomez.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Hi.

Wife and I really enjoyed the Christmas episode, plus the Whittaker reveal.

That’s my story, thanks for reading.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
In the series finale, Jodie regenerates into a girl, who meets up with an old man in a blue box. She decides to call herself Susan to avoid confusion

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

In regards to the Master, no doubt we'll see the character again. Missy very well could be the death of the character but that's not to say she didn't have an infinite amount of regenerations in between her and Simm. Also, the Master is wrong all the time. Just because he says don't bother regenerating don't mean nothing. Hell, another Master after Simm might show up, give Missy a new dose of regeneration juice and BAM more Masters.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

They can just have giant spider Master show up, it's fine

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

This is a show that had a war that ended in double genocide and resulted in neither race being actually dead.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Speculating about the logistics of how the Master shows up again seems like a pointless exercise. Some episode, probably years from now, a looming sinister villain will reveal themselves to have actually been the Master the whole time, and it will be a lot of fun, and there might be one or two lines of dialog acknowledging how incredible it is that the Master isn't dead before getting on with whatever the sinister plot was.

Though, actually thinking through that scenario, the issue Gomez's Master's departure leaves isn't the finality of her death, it's the fact that she's plausibly not totally evil. That's going to make future Master appearances awkward. If the Master goes back to being a mustache twirling villain then it kinda undercuts Gomez's arc, but if the Master isn't that, then what are they?

Maybe a future incarnation could be set up as a rival, rather than a straight up villain. They could go around trying to do good, but being uncomfortably brutal or utilitarian or something, to contrast with the idealistic Doctor.

Of course they could just as easily handwave both issues away with something like "only the evil in the Master survived by becoming a CG snake." Let the "good" Master die, and have an evil shadow of the Master stick around to fit expectations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Solution: bring back the valeyard instead

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I mean, Missy wasn't just mustache-twirling evil either, not the way Harry or Crispy was. A post-Missy incarnation could have any number of roles.

I'd borrow a page or two from UNIT: Dominion, myself...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Eiba posted:

Maybe a future incarnation could be set up as a rival, rather than a straight up villain. They could go around trying to do good, but being uncomfortably brutal or utilitarian or something, to contrast with the idealistic Doctor.
I'm picturing something like the episode of Jessica Jones where Kilgrave tries to be a hero, and I like it a lot

• Locked thread