Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Was that new master of orion game I saw advertised at pax a few years back and then never heard about again any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the good news is that space channel 5 works and it owns

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My friend bought me a game called Star Ruler, it’s a space 4X. He assures me that you can automate just about everything in it because it’s more interested in macro stuff, sounds right up my alley!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

al-azad posted:

Yeah, King Dice is straight up an homage to Dice Palace in Gunstar Heroes which is a pretty divisive level because you'll either blaze through it with little difficulty or get stuck fighting a bunch of joke bosses including a humanoid pile of curry rice that you can only damage by throwing.

I mean I don't remember about Gunstar Heroes but it's pretty easy to just time the dice parry to get the roll that you want and just tank the actual fight with King Dice.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I mean I don't remember about Gunstar Heroes but it's pretty easy to just time the dice parry to get the roll that you want and just tank the actual fight with King Dice.

Seeing melon bread in cuphead made me super happy!

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Jay Rust posted:

My friend bought me a game called Star Ruler, it’s a space 4X. He assures me that you can automate just about everything in it because it’s more interested in macro stuff, sounds right up my alley!

You should play the sequel because it's pretty much better than the original

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phantasium posted:

Yeah its not hard especially with parry charm. They should have done all the dice rolls up front though and presented the fight with no loads imo

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Seeing melon bread in cuphead made me super happy!

Also a stack of poker chips that's basically just Megaman's Yellow Devil, I love Cupheads reverence to old challenging games.

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah its not hard especially with parry charm. They should have done all the dice rolls up front though and presented the fight with no loads imo

Oh yeah, the whole game's load times are pretty bad, honestly.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The first game I beat this year was The Evil Within + the DLC and I really liked it but the story was kinda confusing.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Mr E posted:

The first game I beat this year was The Evil Within + the DLC and I really liked it but the story was kinda confusing.
A lot of people said that and so the sequel was a lot more straight forward, and kind of felt like there were attainable goals plus characters had more personality and development. TEW1 sort of just has you get through a level and arbitrarily transition into a different level, and you get some story through files and such during that to fill you in on background stuff but since it never felt like the characters were actually working towards anything outside of surviving it left the whole experience pretty hollow on the story side of it I think.

Quite a few people liked the more fever-dreamish feel of the first one though.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The first Evil Within definitely has a lot of "what the gently caress just happened" moments when you transition levels, but it's so discombobulated that I don't blame people for finding it confusing or annoying. The levels don't flow together and so the attempts at dream logic fall flat. It'd have been better if you had a large location that randomly sequenced into new terrain -- open a door and fall into a desert map, only to stumble through a trapdoor back into the basement of the mansion you'd begun in, something like that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I dunno which one I preferred, but I liked that both Evil Within games felt like distinct experiences. Both were enjoyable IMO.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The first game would be infinitely better if they just got rid of traps. gently caress traps.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mr E posted:

Check out CJacobs story explanation for some clarification:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzZowmDBOGo

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I wanted more traps, I feel like EW would have been better if they embraced the "take out large rooms full of enemies in clever ways" concept, and let you set up traps, draw enemies out, go from horror movie victim to horror movie monster as you lure them into your traps...

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I heard the Giant Bomb GOTY podcast devolved into a horrific hilarious mess this year but idk if I can parse through a 3 to 4 hour podcast. Who the gently caress listens to a 3 hour podcast.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkFgN-brawI

this game is cool so far. im sure this isnt news to anybody who posts on this website, bc of its history with SA. but im finally getting around to playing the series and I dig these early sections, even if it still has that issue that every VN on the planet has where they repeat information like 3 or 4 times in a row.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

I heard the Giant Bomb GOTY podcast devolved into a horrific hilarious mess this year but idk if I can parse through a 3 to 4 hour podcast. Who the gently caress listens to a 3 hour podcast.

It's pretty bad.

"Cuphead should be higher"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

DLC Inc posted:

The average this year is five hours actually, and it's over five days

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DLC Inc posted:

Me, because I walk to work and if I'm alone with my thoughts for too long I start realizing horrible truths.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
How many points did GB end up assigning for skin color and sexuality in their end of year comparisons?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mordja posted:

Me, because I walk to work and if I'm alone with my thoughts for too long I start realizsing horrible truths.

:same:

I don't listen to 4 hour podcasts though, just in general.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

How many points did GB end up assigning for skin color and sexuality in their end of year comparisons?

there's a hilarious bit where the one girl keeps trying to get the transdude in dream daddy in to best character based solely on 'he's trans!!' and everyone is trying to find a non-awkward way of saying that maybe she should actually talk about his personality or role in the game if she likes him

the hosed up thing is that that dude was the best character in dream daddy anyway so

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I heard some stupid poo poo about several members of the show saying stuff like "I'm not leaving this room until XYZ is ranked this" or like "this is my line in the sand and gently caress you" so it sounds amazingly more petty than the past casts they've done

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Listening to the GB people deliberate was a little bit like listening to crazy people talk where they used measured, rational sounding language to arrive at totally nonsensical conclusions like Getting Over It being shortlisted for GOTY.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

I heard some stupid poo poo about several members of the show saying stuff like "I'm not leaving this room until XYZ is ranked this" or like "this is my line in the sand and gently caress you" so it sounds amazingly more petty than the past casts they've done
The fact that they have to make a bunch of different people with totally different tastes reach some unified conclusion is dumb @f. I think it'd be much more interesting and also much less dumb if their end-year lists weren't ranked or anything and could have as many entries as they wanted and the rule for getting something on was just that you had to get two other people on the cast to agree with putting it on. Not necessarily agree with your opinion on it, just agree that you've justified putting it on. That way it's about making convincing arguments that will probably lead to people checking out the game, and nobody's feelings really get hurt, versus petty arguing about whether or not Persona 5 is too anime.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah that's why the personal GB lists are better than the official site list.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I can't believe Great Britain is this divided on video games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jeff Gerstmann has said before that they do it this way, and show every minute of deliberations, to show how arbitrary and political the editorial lists from sites and magazines really are and that they are really not something to put faith in as gospel

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's meta-commentary about how game reviewers are terrible.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They could have also... not done any of that and just let contributors draw up their own lists.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Check out CJacobs story explanation for some clarification:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzZowmDBOGo

I actually watched this last night and it cleared up everything :). Gonna start on the second game today.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

They could have also... not done any of that and just let contributors draw up their own lists.

They also do this, along with like 50 random people unaffiliated with the site

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Jeff Gerstmann has said before that they do it this way, and show every minute of deliberations, to show how arbitrary and political the editorial lists from sites and magazines really are and that they are really not something to put faith in as gospel

If that's the reason why do they all get so mad about it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkFgN-brawI

this game is cool so far. im sure this isnt news to anybody who posts on this website, bc of its history with SA. but im finally getting around to playing the series and I dig these early sections, even if it still has that issue that every VN on the planet has where they repeat information like 3 or 4 times in a row.

They're real fun (or at least the first 2-- haven't played 3 but heard good things) . I have some issues with the presentation too (like how sometimes the filler side stories drag on and on and on) but the actual mysteries get pretty weird and the gameplay sections are very creative. As a fellow VLR fan you're gonna rly enjoy these

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh yeah and the semi-voiced dialogue (where VAs don't actually read the text in the box but just say "Okay!" or "Yeah!" whenever their character says something) drives me up the fuckin wall lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

Oh yeah and the semi-voiced dialogue (where VAs don't actually read the text in the box but just say "Okay!" or "Yeah!" whenever their character says something) drives me up the fuckin wall lol

I have on JP voices so it just registers as noise rather than repetitious speech at least.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I would take a quick guess and say that GOTY lists/content usually does pretty good for sites business-wise.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
lol if you dont repeat every japanese line in a game to yourself everytime it happens to teach yourself mostly useless japanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nani?

• Locked thread