Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Arcsys unleashed Platinum upon the world and for that they shall pay in blood. Also I guess Arakune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

While not related to fun per say, Arcs has also made some hilariously unbalanced fighters. Calamity Trigger comes to mind.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So, I'm taking a look at some of the concept combo stuff people with access to the game are putting out and I kinda get the feeling that you'll never use a super unless you're gonna kill or it actually sets up good oki. Most of the meter usage seems like it's gonna be vanishes or EX specials. Also corner carry will be king.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Dias posted:

So, I'm taking a look at some of the concept combo stuff people with access to the game are putting out and I kinda get the feeling that you'll never use a super unless you're gonna kill or it actually sets up good oki. Most of the meter usage seems like it's gonna be vanishes or EX specials. Also corner carry will be king.

Got any links?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Chaotic Flame posted:

Got any links?

There's really not a lot, it's just observations from Max's stuff (I know, I know), some random streams and one actual quick combo video in training mode seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpO4XWhRz_E

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

in my experience with the PAX/Gamescon build, supers are more useful to use as either 1. punishing whiffed moves for high damage, as then the damage scaling isn't affecting the move or 2. getting a safe switch in at the end of a combo by DHCing one of your back row in

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Has no one mentioned that the supers are also really cool? Because I think that's another good reason to use them

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Xad posted:

Has no one mentioned that the supers are also really cool? Because I think that's another good reason to use them

I'm gonna lose a whole lotta games because I'm using my supers sub-optimally but man is it gonna look cool

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm gonna lose a whole lotta games because I'm using my supers sub-optimally but man is it gonna look cool

:yeah:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Supers done raw or early in the damage scaling do a poo poo load more damage, seems to be the thing. And also seems to give the other player a lot less meter as well, though I guess that probably depends on the super. I suspect we'll see plenty of use of them once people start to learn the scaling and meter gain mechanics more.

There's also the fact you can cancel stuff into them, and they can't be homing dashed through, and probably make for very strong punishes against calling assists. Wonder who all has safe supers they can DHC into for stuff like that. I don't know just how flexible what you can Cancel/DHC out of is, especially on reaction, but that seems like it'll be a very important part of how good they are (or aren't).

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
you can do an assist super from what it looks like? so im guessing we're gonna see a lot of things like using piccolo's super while on your point character

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

anime was right posted:

you can do an assist super from what it looks like? so im guessing we're gonna see a lot of things like using piccolo's super while on your point character

someone mentioned you could do that with a hcf motion but it sounded more like a tag in, maybe I was mistaken

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Countblanc posted:

someone mentioned you could do that with a hcf motion but it sounded more like a tag in, maybe I was mistaken

even then having any sort of delay super that you can followup on will be extremely valuable as a second character for this reason. put a character like a18 that builds meter and can force damage then put a delay super character in the second slot for damage reasons, dhc back out.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Xad posted:

i think i'm gonna try maining ssb goku just cause the ssbkk kamehameha is the dopest poo poo ever

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Brother Entropy posted:

i think i'm gonna try maining ssb goku just cause the ssbkk kamehameha is the dopest poo poo ever

this and also SSB Vegeta's super where he just does one punch really really hard

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That's why they made the lvl 3 supers the cool ones, so you can use those to kill characters and see a big energy beam.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

lol

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:byodood:

Buu's Fury was a pretty fun game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
gotenks lookin like The Mask

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DBZ_Taiketsu_Trunks_Arms.gif

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Countblanc posted:

gotenks lookin like The Mask

Incorrect, since The Mask actually wins fights and saves the day.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Do you remember me Kakarot? When I killed your brother I TALKED...JUST...LIKE...THIIIIIS!!!

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Remember when super had silly filler that didn't matter and started off with trunks and goten loving about on an alien planet and it still ended in goku showing up to get the win?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't remember Goku beating the cat aliens, or the Pilaf gang, or the U6 baseball team, or Monaka.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Remember when Goku and Vegeta ended up fighting the same bad guy three loving times before anything happened

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

thats happened with just about every major villain

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i guess technically goku only fought cell in his perfect form but vegeta fought him a bunch

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Dias posted:

So persona 4 arena, got it

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Wrist Watch posted:

So persona 4 arena, got it

I miss P4AU. Did the update patch ever come to consoles?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Chaotic Flame posted:

I miss P4AU. Did the update patch ever come to consoles?

Never, the assumed reason is because by the time they would've gotten around to bringing Ver 2.0 (arcade release of 2.0 was 1/15/2015) to consoles they had two options (lets assume they bring it to consoles by end of 2015):

Release Ver 2.0 as DLC for the existing version of the game which at this point is already a year old in States and was only released for the older generation of consoles that are 2 years old (this is also an update to the second console iteration of a Persona fighting game, not the first)

Or

Release an entirely new SKU for PS4 and Xbox One in which the only change is balance/system changes and the fact that you can play the game on current consoles.

Both of these were probably seen as unprofitable and thus they never brought Ver 2.0 out of arcades.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 3, 2018

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

FanaticalMilk posted:

Or

Release an entirely new SKU for PS4 and Xbox One in which the only change is balance/system changes and the fact that you can play the game on current consoles.

Both of these were probably seen as unprofitable and thus they never brought Ver 2.0 out of arcades.

Maybe they'll release that as a preorder bonus or something for P5 Arena like they're doing with P4DAN and the P3 and P5 dancing games.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Flytrap posted:

Maybe they'll release that as a preorder bonus or something for P5 Arena like they're doing with P4DAN and the P3 and P5 dancing games.

That'd be nice but given Persona's coming to Blazblue Cross Tag Battle, I don't see a P5 Arena anytime soon. But on the other hand P4 Arena was a pretty long ways after the original Persona 4 release.

Was it a NesicaxLive game, because I know that got cracked recently for emulation, so I could see that being the only viable way of playing it outside of an actual Japanese arcade.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

sharrrk posted:

thats happened with just about every major villain

this is reductionist and you must perish

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
If you're used to playing other fighters on stick, I assume this game would play just as comfortably on one? I've not played a fighter for years and wanted to get back into em with this, but wanted to make sure it played like a fighter and not, say, smash bros. I've not touched an Arcsys fighter except maybe 20 hrs worth of P4A and the only thing I really know about DBFZ is that it looks really really pretty.

AND if that is the case, anyone have a recommendation for a $50-70 stick on amazon for someone who isn't remotely serious about fighters but prefers stick?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The Crusher posted:

If you're used to playing other fighters on stick, I assume this game would play just as comfortably on one? I've not played a fighter for years and wanted to get back into em with this, but wanted to make sure it played like a fighter and not, say, smash bros. I've not touched an Arcsys fighter except maybe 20 hrs worth of P4A and the only thing I really know about DBFZ is that it looks really really pretty.

AND if that is the case, anyone have a recommendation for a $50-70 stick on amazon for someone who isn't remotely serious about fighters but prefers stick?

This game is designed to be super easy to play on pad, but if you want a stick I'd avoid any that cost under $100. You'll end up having to replace whatever cheapo depot parts it comes with and it'll cost you way more in the end.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

The Crusher posted:

Yes, this plays like traditional 2D fighting games and not Smash so an arcade stick is fine.

Sticks in that price range aren't recommended because they're really bad even if you're just a casual player. The low quality parts can have a noticeable effect on your execution and you can't mod cheap sticks easily. The mini size sticks are especially bad.

Unfortunately the price of sticks has gone up. The PS3 $120 Mad Catz TE equivalent is the $200 TE S+ for PS4. If you still have a last gen arcade stick you can use that if you plan on getting the PC version. Otherwise the Qanba drone is the cheapest stick that isn't mini sized. Newegg has it on sale for $60 plus a copy of Tekken 7: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879845001

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I love my Hori Rap4 if you're willing to bump up a bit further, $150 new. Super easy to mod as well if you decide to go for Sanwa buttons, although the stock ones are perfectly adequate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

The Crusher posted:

if you prefer stick actually dont spend under 150 on one, the poo poo tier sub 150 is designed for people that dont know what they are supposed to feel like

Fruitsnacks posted:

Unfortunately the price of sticks has gone up. The PS3 $120 Mad Catz TE equivalent is the $200 TE S+ for PS4. If you still have a last gen arcade stick you can use that if you plan on getting the PC version. Otherwise the Qanba drone is the cheapest stick that isn't mini sized. Newegg has it on sale for $60 plus a copy of Tekken 7: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879845001

and the qanba drone is a piece of poo poo