Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

How does Creative Labs still exist? For whatever reason that popped into my head last night and I see they are still selling a $150 sound card in now 2018 and I am boggled. Who is buying that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Is it possible to mix the same model V3 and V4 Xeon chips on a dual CPU motherboard? I've been told it's possible but I have my doubts.

I have a Supermicro-MBD-X10DAX (running latest BIOS) that has been running a Xeon E5-2690 V3 in the CPU1 socket. Today, I tried installing a Xeon E5-2690 V4 in the CPU2 socket (with the same make/model of RAM) and the system will not power on. I tried swapping the V3 and V4 into eachother's socket, still no dice. Running just the V3 or V4 in CPU1 boots and posts fine.

Edit: According to a post on Intel's forum, you need to have matching models AND matching S-Spec. So to answer the above question, no.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 2, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

why on earth did I manage to sell my GTX970 that I bought in 2015 for £200 when I bought it for £280? after Amazon's cut, I get £186 total, which is pretty insane and doesn't make much sense. Cost me £100 to own this decent card for two years, why would someone buy a used 970 for £200?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Q8ee posted:

why on earth did I manage to sell my GTX970 that I bought in 2015 for £200 when I bought it for £280? after Amazon's cut, I get £186 total, which is pretty insane and doesn't make much sense. Cost me £100 to own this decent card for two years, why would someone buy a used 970 for £200?

Cryptocurrency mining has inflated GPU prices.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Dongattack posted:

Is there a program i can use to throttle my internet down to a speed limit of my own choosing and then easily remove that limit after?

Where i live i have two options for internet: almost antiquated ADSL or extremely exploitative 4G wireless net. The 4G net is starting to cost me so much that it's getting to be a real problem, so i'd like to try simulating the ADSL speeds to see if i can live with it.

If your router supports QoS or traffic shaping you could set a rule restricting bandwidth.

Otherwise, it appears there are several off the shelf throttling software options but I don't see any that are free/shareware, and I'm assuming you aren't interested in buying software that you'll use once to figure out what ISP to choose.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Rexxed posted:

Cryptocurrency mining has inflated GPU prices.

so most likely the guy buying it is just gonna use it to mine crypto? or is he legit just some misinformed poor guy who thinks £200 for a 2 year old used GTX970 is a good deal? cause drat, he could save up another £200 and have a 1070ti or something...

I'd never buy a used GPU cause you have no idea how it was treated by the previous owner. I've treat mine well but yikes, I feel like a scumbag for getting away with selling it so high.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Q8ee posted:

so most likely the guy buying it is just gonna use it to mine crypto? or is he legit just some misinformed poor guy who thinks £200 for a 2 year old used GTX970 is a good deal? cause drat, he could save up another £200 and have a 1070ti or something...

I'd never buy a used GPU cause you have no idea how it was treated by the previous owner. I've treat mine well but yikes, I feel like a scumbag for getting away with selling it so high.

There's no way to know for sure. Cryptominers gobble up tons of GPUs but maybe he's just balking at the prices of new cards. A 1060 6GB would probably be a better purchase and should be a similar price, though.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lots of guides out there still probably say BEST CARD is that one and people are too lazy to look up newer stuff. I sold an old SFF (tiny) card from my work computer for way more than it was reasonably worth last year so I could get a modern AMD card instead. Basiclly paid for the new one with the old one, which shouldn't make any sense.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LethalGeek posted:

How does Creative Labs still exist? For whatever reason that popped into my head last night and I see they are still selling a $150 sound card in now 2018 and I am boggled. Who is buying that?

Most of their business now is designing stuff used in integrated sound cards, especially in laptops.

Also their fancy sound cards nowadays are either nice interfaces for doing a bunch of audio ins and outs, or they're just flashy gamer-bait cards like the one which advertises the led strips on the card will react to music and audio from your games in real time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fishmech posted:

Most of their business now is designing stuff used in integrated sound cards, especially in laptops.

Also their fancy sound cards nowadays are either nice interfaces for doing a bunch of audio ins and outs, or they're just flashy gamer-bait cards like the one which advertises the led strips on the card will react to music and audio from your games in real time.

Where the gently caress are you going to see the led strips? I guess it's just one more thing with Asus Aura Sync for a windowed case that's going to waste a bunch of space on your desk? Or is it on the io panel for even more :psyduck:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Arivia posted:

Where the gently caress are you going to see the led strips? I guess it's just one more thing with Asus Aura Sync for a windowed case that's going to waste a bunch of space on your desk? Or is it on the io panel for even more :psyduck:

It's got changing lights on the card itself when mounted in the case with a window, and a connector on it for a number of additional strips that can be run externally or internally (different models of the card have different numbers of those plug-in led strips).

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Dongattack posted:

Is there a program i can use to throttle my internet down to a speed limit of my own choosing and then easily remove that limit after?

NetLimiter works great for this. You can even throttle per-app if you want.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

EssOEss posted:

NetLimiter works great for this. You can even throttle per-app if you want.

Thanks!

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Q8ee posted:

I've bought quite a few used video cards, mostly pre-mining, without any issues. It was only the cards bought after GPU mining became a thing that had any problems, mostly with the fan bearings taking a poo poo.

I don't feel at all guilty about selling my 390 to a buttminer for $100 more than I bought it for (used) at the tail end of it's warranty, since it's idiots like that guy loving up prices for everybody. Took the 390 cash and bought another used card, this time a 1070 right before they all got snatched up for mining too. Prices for used cards are at minimum $100 more than they were in June now, so I'm not sure I'd still recommend buying any used cards until this bubble pops, hopefully catastrophically. Either way buying a used card without a serial based warranty is a really bad idea, though for all I know OEMs may just stop offering those if mining keeps up like this since they're probably dealing with so many replacements, and yes I recognize that I'm part of the problem due to the above.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The guy buying it is definitely a miner. He said he doesn't care about it not coming in it's original packaging, as long as it works. And he asked if I'll provide the PCIE cables, which makes me think he's got a mining rig and is trying to nab a few free cables. I told him it doesn't come with PCIE cables, as that would require me giving him my own cables that belong to my PSU.

how poo poo is my RAM? I went on my Amazon orders page to see when I bought it, but it turns out this RAM is from 2008 or something as I didn't order it online, and I can only have carried it over from some basic crappy Dell computer I had as a kid around 2008. JFC

Qubee fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 4, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Q8ee posted:

The guy buying it is definitely a miner. He said he doesn't care about it not coming in it's original packaging, as long as it works. And he asked if I'll provide the PCIE cables, which makes me think he's got a mining rig and is trying to nab a few free cables. I told him it doesn't come with PCIE cables, as that would require me giving him my own cables that belong to my PSU.

how poo poo is my RAM? I went on my Amazon orders page to see when I bought it, but it turns out this RAM is from 2008 or something as I didn't order it online, and I can only have carried it over from some basic crappy Dell computer I had as a kid around 2008. JFC

Looks like pretty ordinary DDR3-1333 to me. Beyond being fairly old at this point there's not much wrong with it really, as far as I know. What CPU are you using it with?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

TheFluff posted:

Looks like pretty ordinary DDR3-1333 to me. Beyond being fairly old at this point there's not much wrong with it really, as far as I know. What CPU are you using it with?

i5-4670k

I'm pretty sure it's starting to become faulty. RAM usage is always really high even if I don't have much open, and stuff that requires RAM (CAD software, games that use a lot of RAM) causes my entire system to really start chugging

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Q8ee posted:

i5-4670k

I'm pretty sure it's starting to become faulty. RAM usage is always really high even if I don't have much open, and stuff that requires RAM (CAD software, games that use a lot of RAM) causes my entire system to really start chugging

That just means you've got insufficient.
Big culprits nowadays are web browsers that use up several gigabytes of RAM because nobody cares about resource usage anymore when developing websites. And browsers are distressingly terrible at garbage collecting to clear out old resources from RAM.
And then when you open up something that uses a lot of RAM as well, it'll run out and start swapping to disk (using virtual memory) and that causes a whole lotta delays.

Faulty RAM just causes crashes, bluescreens and data corruption. Try checking task manager to see what's eating all your memory.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Sorry if this doesn't belong here but here goes:

I recently purchased a steam link only to find out that it doesn't stream in 4k. I have a long hdmi cable that I can use for video/audio from my pc, but is there a way to use the link as a wireless controller/mouse/kb hub?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
When running big picture mode, in the power button choose close big picture mode and you can stream the desktop it's connected to.

If it's got video from the other pc you should still be able to control it through the link with whatever kb/m you have connected.

It would essentially be working the same way.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

edit: Nevermind, for now at least

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 5, 2018

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Okay so yeah, I cleaned them all, tried them in different drives/computers and tried Handbrake and that didn't work. I have 1 disc that is recognized, which seems to be of a different production run than the others/has a slightly different color both on the label and the underside. I can't see any holes in it matching the ones for examples of disc rot. I'm pretty sure I don't have the camera used to make them anymore, I haven't seen it in years. Where do I go from here?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Since I got a new computer with a built in Bluetooth module my sound cuts out loading into Steam games. I’ll have to double check but I’m 99% sure it works on at least the other games I’ve tried. If I disable the headset in recording devices it works one, but this causes an issue when I’m trying to play with other people. Is this a known issue? I’ve seen a few things online but I’m not having any luck yet. I need to try another headset, but I’m not at home to do so right now. The sound works just fine otherwise. I downloaded the most up to date Bluetooth drivers already.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My PC refuses to turn on after changing a GTX970 to a GTX560 Ti. It powers on, fans whir for 1 second, then the PC shuts down. It repeats ad infinitum. What have I bonked up? The PC was working fine a few hours ago when I had the GTX970 plugged in. Literally the only thing I've changed is the GPU to a 560 Ti.

I've got the Z97 Pro Motherboard, and afaik it's compatible with the 560 Ti

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 6, 2018

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Q8ee posted:

My PC refuses to turn on after changing a GTX970 to a GTX560 Ti. It powers on, fans whir for 1 second, then the PC shuts down. It repeats ad infinitum. What have I bonked up? The PC was working fine a few hours ago when I had the GTX970 plugged in. Literally the only thing I've changed is the GPU to a 560 Ti.

I'd presume you've removed it again, blew out the socket with canned air, cleaned the connector on the card, reseated and such yes?

Sounds like a short somewhere on the motherboard, possibly not seated correctly, or the PSU miraculously gave up the ghost in between the swap. GPU power connected correctly? etc?

It's a power issue is what i'm trying to say here

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Clear the CMOS, especially if it’s an ASRock board. I’ve had that exact thing happen to me multiple times with their boards. Not sure what causes it, but that always fixes it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Sniep posted:

I'd presume you've removed it again, blew out the socket with canned air, cleaned the connector on the card, reseated and such yes?

Sounds like a short somewhere on the motherboard, possibly not seated correctly, or the PSU miraculously gave up the ghost in between the swap. GPU power connected correctly? etc?

It's a power issue is what i'm trying to say here

Update to the Update! it was the loving RAM. I hadn't properly seated it. This ALWAYS gets me. I spent hours trying to figure out what's wrong, thinking every component is busted, then I realise I haven't pushed the RAM in hard enough.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 7, 2018

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Quick sanity check question:

Computer is refusing to boot with a graphics card installed in the PCIE x16 slot. Have tried two so far, same results on both - power tries to come on over and over with no joy. Just the CPU, hard drives and RAM (all four slots occupied) installed and it boots happily. Power supply tester shows green on all rails.

Preeeeeeetty sure it's the motherboard. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something...

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
In the last couple days my pc has started to freeze and I'm wondering if my video card is on the way out. I can't get through a game overwatch without the screen freezing completely, no graphical glitches just a hard lock and the background audio continues. Sometimes it will recover and continue playing but mostly it just locks up. I can't even quit the game with task manager. I've reinstalled graphics drivers to no effect. The temps on the video card appear normal. I do anything else besides play games on this machine. I'm really at a loss as to why this has started happening when it's been working fine for months and years, specs: 4690k 970gtx 8gb ram win10 all stock
39 minutes ago

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SnatchRabbit posted:

In the last couple days my pc has started to freeze and I'm wondering if my video card is on the way out. I can't get through a game overwatch without the screen freezing completely, no graphical glitches just a hard lock and the background audio continues. Sometimes it will recover and continue playing but mostly it just locks up. I can't even quit the game with task manager. I've reinstalled graphics drivers to no effect. The temps on the video card appear normal. I do anything else besides play games on this machine. I'm really at a loss as to why this has started happening when it's been working fine for months and years, specs: 4690k 970gtx 8gb ram win10 all stock
39 minutes ago

Question: does your computer also have integrated graphics you can fall back to? And if it does, when you try to do things while using it do you get the same sort of hard lock stuff?

If you do get similar crashes than it's something besides your graphics card at fault. Otherwise, yeah just replace your GPU and it should be good.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SnatchRabbit posted:

39 minutes ago

Did you reinstall graphics drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller? It's a utility that boots into safe mode and removes all of the driver cruft that's in there, allowing you a clean install. It could also be some weird issue with the latest Windows 10 updates which have varying problems depending on people's systems, or even a hardware failure. I'd try DDU then install the latest nvidia drivers first, though.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Rexxed posted:

Did you reinstall graphics drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller? It's a utility that boots into safe mode and removes all of the driver cruft that's in there, allowing you a clean install. It could also be some weird issue with the latest Windows 10 updates which have varying problems depending on people's systems, or even a hardware failure. I'd try DDU then install the latest nvidia drivers first, though.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

No, I just used the geforce experience custom install. Sounds like DDU might be worth a shot though.

Do you have a link for the win10 issues though? I'm wondering if I can roll back the updates in Win10 and see if that does the trick.

edit:
I'm wondering if this patch is the culprit. Seems eerily close to when my issues began to crop up.

fishmech posted:

Question: does your computer also have integrated graphics you can fall back to? And if it does, when you try to do things while using it do you get the same sort of hard lock stuff?

If you do get similar crashes than it's something besides your graphics card at fault. Otherwise, yeah just replace your GPU and it should be good.

Good idea. It looks like the i5 4690k has integrated graphics so I'll try disabling the 970gtx and see if I get the same issue.

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 7, 2018

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Panty Saluter posted:

Quick sanity check question:

Computer is refusing to boot with a graphics card installed in the PCIE x16 slot. Have tried two so far, same results on both - power tries to come on over and over with no joy. Just the CPU, hard drives and RAM (all four slots occupied) installed and it boots happily. Power supply tester shows green on all rails.

Preeeeeeetty sure it's the motherboard. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something...

Does your power supply have a second gfx rail you could test to see if the cards are getting any power?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Puddin posted:

Does your power supply have a second gfx rail you could test to see if the cards are getting any power?

it does, two plugs labeled "PCI-E". I guess i should be seeing 12v on them?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Panty Saluter posted:

it does, two plugs labeled "PCI-E". I guess i should be seeing 12v on them?

Should be 12v yeah. Is it a new card you've bought or one that has stopped working?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
No, just shat the bed the other day. I've had this card for almost two years now.

Anyway, I got 12VDC across all three pairs. Tried a different PSU and a third graphics card but no luck. The only thing that makes it consistently not boot is plugging in a graphics card.

The only weird thing is that sometimes, even after removing the graphics card, it won't boot anyway. After a minute it will start again. Doesn't seem to be related to RAM - have tried different sticks in different slots and there isn't a consistent pattern. I wish it was, because I could halve my RAM and be OK, not so much with onboard graphics. :v:

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard now. Good thing there are legions of good quality LGA 1150 boards still out there :smithicide:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yeah sounds like the port may be gone. Sorry for you're loss.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

SnatchRabbit posted:

In the last couple days my pc has started to freeze and I'm wondering if my video card is on the way out. I can't get through a game overwatch without the screen freezing completely, no graphical glitches just a hard lock and the background audio continues. Sometimes it will recover and continue playing but mostly it just locks up. I can't even quit the game with task manager.

Myself and another guy have exactly the same issue that has started in the last few days, so I'm leaning towards an update causing this. I'm using Win 7, though. No solution so far. :(
I'm going to check my restore points and see if I have one from early last week to roll back to, but I'm not sure what my chances are. And I'll also need to work out what update is causing the problem so I don't just end up where I started.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Keyboard is not working today. It was earlier in the day and now that I'm back it appears dead

When I plug it in I get a brief flash on the Scroll Lock LED. Also get a windows notification is tiny but it says The last SUB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it
In Device manager I look under USB controllers and I see Unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed)

Is this all just a fancy way of saying my keyboard is dead? I've gone through checking different USB ports- either get same result or nothing at all

UPDATE

Since its out of warranty, I cracked it open, cuz why not? The USB cable first goes through a small board USB hub, then a shorter cable to the keyboard itself. I first pulled the short wire between the 2 boards and plugged that in. I plugged some USB devices into it and they wre getting power but not functioning(xbox controller and memory sticks). For some dumbass reason the pinouts on the 2 boards were different, so I pulled the pins out from the mini molex on the end of the USB cable, put them in the right order, and connected to the main board. Plugged in and the keyboard lit up just fine, keys worked etc. Left the USB hub board disconnected and put everything back together and all is well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Is my computer bottlenecked somewhere? I can't seem to keep a consistent 60fps at 1920x1080 on ultra settings in games like battlefield 1. I assumed with my GPU and CPU I wouldn't have to worry about stuff like this anymore. Was my impulse purchase a dumb one?

https://imgur.com/a/ssOHA