Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Was gaming in the 80s before the crash like trying to find games by browsing the Steam store by most recent with no way to tell the shovelware from the real games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Samuringa posted:

Hollow Knight was quickly dismissed for having "Newgrounds graphics"

I don't remember the lovely flash games I played when I was 10 looking this good.

Regardless, there have been games with literal Newgrounds graphics (Meat Boy and Binding of Issac) that are massively popular and successful so I don't even get why you'd dismiss a game instantly because of them.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

Was gaming in the 80s before the crash like trying to find games by browsing the Steam store by most recent with no way to tell the shovelware from the real games

back in my day we had this thing called shareware/a demo so that we didn't have to waste money separating shovelware from real games

Man I miss being content with a disk/cd full of shareware demos.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

cheetah7071 posted:

Console manufacturers also fragmented and confused the market by releasing marginal hardware upgrades and overpriced gimmick peripherals, so as long as they don't do that again we should be fine

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Buying the Quake shareware disc and realizing that every single ID Software title, including the full version of Quake, was included on the CD.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just browsed Steam by most recent and it took until page 15 for me to find something I had even heard of

It was the anime adaptation of Nekopara (apparently Steam sells anime now???)

I'm sure some of those 15 pages were non-shovelware games I just hadn't heard of but it was pretty dire

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi everyone, how is your first tuesday of the year 2018 going?

cheetah7071 posted:

I just browsed Steam by most recent and it took until page 15 for me to find something I had even heard of

It was the anime adaptation of Nekopara (apparently Steam sells anime now???)

I'm sure some of those 15 pages were non-shovelware games I just hadn't heard of but it was pretty dire

Yeah, steam direct just made it easier to dump poo poo on to steam so what little barrier there was with greenlight is now gone and more or less anyone can get their stuff on to steam

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

just thinking about girly block for the msx

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

just thinking about girly block for the msx

This reminds me of the anime, Bubblegum Crisis.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Nintendo... holding back shovelware? :thunk: What a world.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi everyone, how is your first tuesday of the year 2018 going?

I'm reading this thread while I'm supposed to be turning statistical measures into qualitative statements about what those numbers mean. Science is hard

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Girly Block is apparently the name of the mechs within Girly Block

mods sincerely rename me to Girly Block

I said come in! posted:

This reminds me of the anime, Bubblegum Crisis.
came out the same year as Bubblegum Crisis, so that's interesting

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm reading this thread while I'm supposed to be turning statistical measures into qualitative statements about what those numbers mean. Science is hard

:backtowork: I think you should finish the task at hand so that you can properly enjoy the rest of your day!

Also, man someone really wanted to make a sidescrolling beat em up game copying Bloodborne's aesthetic but their animations are kinda...rear end.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/716780/Sand_is_the_Soul/
https://i.imgur.com/QaFIUwe.mp4

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
im the power that destroys enemies by gyrating my hips

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FirstAidKite posted:

:backtowork: I think you should finish the task at hand so that you can properly enjoy the rest of your day!

Also, man someone really wanted to make a sidescrolling beat em up game copying Bloodborne's aesthetic but their animations are kinda...rear end.

jojo games got bad huh

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FirstAidKite posted:

Not gonna lie, I kind of like this. Don't get me wrong it looks awful but it has a janky sort of charm to it.

I bet the gameplay is garbage though.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Streets of Rage - with a new hat!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Man I miss being content with a disk/cd full of shareware demos.

Supposedly this is why demos aren't a thing anymore. Old rear end story incoming:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/11/jesse-schell-releasing-a-game-demo-can-cut-sales-in-half

FirstAidKite posted:

This character does everything pretty casually which includes wielding a mini-gun

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh God the Praise the Sun billboard :barf:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

spudsbuckley posted:

There's an interview floating around with the CEO of PUBG (this is a thing) where he says that they want the game on every platform possible but "Sony is very strict about quality" so, as a result, the game is a long way off coming to PS4.

Having bought it on PC based on the hype I have to congratulate Sony on this approach. It is a loving terrible game that plays like something you would randomly download for free on Steam to laugh at how bad it is.

Sony and Nintendo are the dam holding back the absolute tidal wave of utter poo poo games that mobile devs, Steam and now even MS want to drown us in.

lol thank god Sony only allows quality titles like Life of Black Tiger and Firefighters The Simulation.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's hosed up you can't use Luigi/Peach on the same team in Mario XCOM

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Not gonna lie, I kind of like this. Don't get me wrong it looks awful but it has a janky sort of charm to it.

I bet the gameplay is garbage though.

Hey that's fine, it looked sorta janky-but-interesting until the combat showed up :v:

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Oh God the Praise the Sun billboard :barf:

Haha I didn't notice that

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

It's hosed up you can't use Luigi/Peach on the same team in Mario XCOM

I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, why can't you?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The White Dragon posted:

im the power that destroys enemies by gyrating my hips

Thriller 2: Jack is Back

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FirstAidKite posted:

I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, why can't you?

You get three party members. You have to include Mario and have to include at least one Rabbid.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

You get three party members. You have to include Mario and have to include at least one Rabbid.

Getting flashbacks to Mario RPG and being unable to use my dream team Mallow-Geno-Bowser

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I really want to see the Roger Rabbit compromise Nintendo and Ubisoft came up with. "Mario must always be the playable character. The playable Rabbids cannot interact in a slapstick way with playable Nintendo characters. You may only reference characters from the NEW(tm) line of Super Mario games et al"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i heard call of juarez gunslinger was good but i didn't realize until now it was the best fps of 2013

hell i'd say this beats out most 2013 games that weren't mgr

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wait. Revengeance is almost 5 years old?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I thought the referential humor in Mario + Rabbids was quite good :)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the humor in mario + rabbids ranges from dumb ubisoft humor to actually kind of great. the phantom is probably the single best gag in the entire game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What’s dumb Ubisoft humour?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

french

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

corn in the bible posted:

jojo games got bad huh

They already were :shrug:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how many Splinter Cells does it take to change a lightbulb

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Really Pants posted:

how many Splinter Cells does it take to change a lightbulb
Trick question, Sam doesn't change lightbulbs he shoots them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What’s dumb Ubisoft humour?

All of Far Cry: Blood Dragon

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Thanks for the reminder that I need to play Blood Dragon again.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PantsBandit posted:

Thanks for the reminder that I need to play Blood Dragon again.

The last time Farcry was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Accordion Man posted:

Trick question, Sam doesn't change lightbulbs he shoots them.

The lightbulb was obviously an enemy combatant.

• Locked thread