Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

What’s dumb Ubisoft humour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Really Pants posted:

how many Splinter Cells does it take to change a lightbulb

"That bulb had a family, Asha. "

Jay Rust posted:

What’s dumb Ubisoft humour?

Every single encyclopedia entry in the Asscreed series

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Just had the most emotional moment I've had in a video game in a long time, playing Hollow Knight.

I went to kill a grave ghost without resting even though there was a bench literally in the next room over and just got iced. I put up a fight and if I would have started with full health and soul I likely would have got him first try.

So I start the long trek back to him and my ghost, and after some carelessness I find myself at 2 health and get obliterated out of nowhere by a dive bombing exploding bird.

I lost 5k money. I had been exploring for so long, replaying sections, using the fragile greed badge, and I just sold all the trinkets I had ever collected. I was ready to buy out all the shops I had found. When I exploded and all that work went up in a poof of smoke, jesus. Just devastating. So demoralizing. But I've picked myself up, dusted myself off, and have a newfound resolve. But the fact that it was all my hubris that cut me down, and that I made several careless decisions all in a row... gently caress this game is heavy. The upgrades make you feel like king poo poo especially when blazing through areas that took so long in the early game. But you're really always fragile and ready to die. This is not Metroid where you typically only die to bosses unless you purposely restrict your upgrades.

I've been really engrossed. Metroidvania is about my favorite genre and this is one of the very best I've ever played. Likely my goty 2017 even though I'm maybe halfway(?) through.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
yep I got 40 hours out of it

gonna buy the gently caress out of it on switch too, that team deserves a hella lot of success and recognition

also, like with souls games, you'll soon be swimming in more Geo than you'd care so fret not about lost currency, though unlike souls won't have anywhere to spend it once you buy out every shop

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Taking a gameing break tonight to finally start on Twin Peaks: The Return :cheers: perfect weather for it & I don't know a drat thing about the new eps going in

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

KingSlime posted:

gonna buy the gently caress out of it on switch too, that team deserves a hella lot of success and recognition

also, like with souls games, you'll soon be swimming in more Geo than you'd care so fret not about lost currency, though unlike souls won't have anywhere to spend it once you buy out every shop

I can't wait for this on Switch, been saving myself. The last few cool indie games on it had their release dates announced like less than a week before they launched so I'm hoping we'll have it any moment

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Does the latest Assassins Creed have an in game encyclopedia with snarky comments on every article still?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

goferchan posted:

Taking a gameing break tonight to finally start on Twin Peaks: The Return :cheers: perfect weather for it & I don't know a drat thing about the new eps going in

I am jealous, it was my favorite TV experience in years.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
my new year resolution is to get back and get thru Season 2 of twin peaks so i can watch season 3. im excited

goferchan posted:

I can't wait for this on Switch, been saving myself. The last few cool indie games on it had their release dates announced like less than a week before they launched so I'm hoping we'll have it any moment
Same, holding out for the Switch version too, looks rad

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m having so much trouble picking what games to start the new year with when I get back from Tokyo! Aaahhhhh!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Taintrunner posted:

I’m having so much trouble picking what games to start the new year with when I get back from Tokyo! Aaahhhhh!

lol just lol if you're in tokyo and didn't start your year with ufo catcher

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

goferchan posted:

its fantastic. best and strangest tv show. also prepare to say HELLLOOOOOOOOOO an awful lot

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

goferchan posted:

Easily the best thing from American TV in the 21st century. Enjoy.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah I was all set to buy Hollow Knight from the Steam sale but then at the last minute I found out it’s coming to the Switch so I’m holding out for that.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

KingSlime posted:

I've never played a Souls game but if they're as much ”hollow knight, but 3d" as I've been led to believe they may have to leapfrog my backlog. I've heard the PC port of DS1 is not great tho..

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For dark souls 1 you want to download dsfix, which is a mod the fixes the most glaring problems with the port. It's not the best port ever or anything after that but it's fine.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think it might be integrated directly into dsfix these days but if you want to use kb+m there used to be a mod you had to grab called dsmfix to make that functional too

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Wild Arms 3, yeah?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I have about 30 hours into Dark Souls 3 right now, it’s extremely dope and you should definitely play it. May backtrack to 2 and 1 at some point I suppose.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Battle Chef Brigade is very good and I enjoyed playing the campaign.

However, a puzzle game that doesn't have a single-round quick play mode besides a daily challenge? smh when I want to play a game more and it doesn't give you the option

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Noctone posted:

I have about 30 hours into Dark Souls 3 right now, it’s extremely dope and you should definitely play it. May backtrack to 2 and 1 at some point I suppose.

Dark Souls 3 has some really cool throwback moments that carry a lot more gravitas when you've already played Ds1. Honestly though They're all really really loving good but my personal ranking is Bloodborne->DS1->DS3->DS2

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Does the latest Assassins Creed have an in game encyclopedia with snarky comments on every article still?

sadly, no.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I’ve only dicked around with the opening bits of Bloodborne but I’m very much looking forward to diving into it after I finish the games I’m in the middle of right now.

e: also if that rumored DS1 Switch port materializes I’m 100% on board with that poo poo

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Raxivace posted:

Easily the best thing from American TV in the 21st century. Enjoy.

First ep down and I'm grinning like an idiot . I kinda regret not rewatching Fire Walk With Me since it's been four or five years but whatever, I'm in straight binge mode now

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Wild Arms 3, yeah?

um no. wild ARMS 3 fool

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Noctone posted:

I’ve only dicked around with the opening bits of Bloodborne but I’m very much looking forward to diving into it after I finish the games I’m in the middle of right now.

e: also if that rumored DS1 Switch port materializes I’m 100% on board with that poo poo

It was hands down my favorite game of this console gen until Mario and Zelda came out and even now it's still in very close contention. Have fun, it just gets better and better and weirder and weirder after the opening parts. And spring for the DLC eventually because it adds some insanely good content , but don't feel like you have to rush because most of it isn't anything you can tackle until mid-late game

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Noctone posted:

im still early on bloodborne, i recently beat a large dog woman, felt bad and then got scared

i love it

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

goferchan posted:

It was hands down my favorite game of this console gen until Mario and Zelda came out and even now it's still in very close contention. Have fun, it just gets better and better and weirder and weirder after the opening parts. And spring for the DLC eventually because it adds some insanely good content , but don't feel like you have to rush because most of it isn't anything you can tackle until mid-late game

I actually ended up rebuying it over the weekend because the complete edition was cheaper than the DLC.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finished Stranger Things 2. I don't think it was quite as good as the first season, though I liked it well enough I guess.

It's just weird that how even after two seasons Stranger Things never quite formed its own identity beyond the million references it had.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

um no. wild ARMS 3 fool

Oh no, I have been owned by my own ignorance :negative:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
WA3 has a really cool heroine. IMHO she is one of the better JRPG ladies.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

A Bag of Milk posted:

I've never played a Souls game but if they're as much ”hollow knight, but 3d" as I've been led to believe they may have to leapfrog my backlog. I've heard the PC port of DS1 is not great tho..

They don't really have that much in common beyond a bleak aesthetic and how the currency/lives system works.

I mean Dark Souls is a fantastic series and you shouldn't let me dissuade you but they're not platformers, they're not about unlocking new routes through old areas by gaining new movement powers, and there's considerably more of an RPG element than in Hollow Knight.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 3, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The White Dragon posted:

um no. wild ARMS 3 fool

it's Wild ARMS Advanced 3rd

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
not in my country :911:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
outside of the annoying ghost shootout, call of juarez gunslinger owns and is one of the best fps games i've played in a while. i'm glad it costs like three bucks now cause it's super worth it

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

corn in the bible posted:

WA3 has a really cool heroine. IMHO she is one of the better JRPG ladies.

Virginia is a really decent and kind of unconventional heroine. She's really Yet Another Character With Daddy Issues but she's very optimistic and level-headed. She starts out lacking in skill and you feel her mature both as a party member in combat and in the story across the adventure, which is nice. She feels at once over her head in everything that's happening but also at the same time she's consistently motivated by her search for her father, so there's a purpose to her mission and an explanation why she's willing to go so far.

She sort of has this philosophy she espouses as well, and I think the game is by and large a lot harsher on her than she really deserves -- I've played through the game multiple times, and each time I'm always surprised by how harshly some antagonists regard Virginia, she really takes a lot of guff from basically everybody and she hardly warrants the cruelty.

She's also notable for not having any romantic entanglements with any of the other (male) party members or indeed anyone at all, although that's not as rare as it used to be. Plus she uses two revolvers at once!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Does she actually shoot with the revolvers because the only Wild ARMS I played was 5 and good lord, that was dumb.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes

Until you have to reload anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Samuringa posted:

Does she actually shoot with the revolvers because the only Wild ARMS I played was 5 and good lord, that was dumb.

Wild Arms 3 is the most pro-shooting RPG. Everybody uses guns, ammo, bullets, the whole shebang. Some people use rockets and laser guns too, it's the wild west.

• Locked thread