Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Calibanibal posted:

or just dont use batteries

zzts happen all the time now, I never use batteries if I can help it. Tynan decided that my decision to only use fueled generators needs extra punishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

yeah but no batteries and its just a tiny fire that your dudes put out immediately

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you don't mind micromanagement, you can deconstruct batteries and they hold their charge. So like an ideal system is you charge like 4 batteries at a time, deconstruct them and stockpile them nearby, and save them for an eclipse or whatever. Saves you on fuses too since you can get away with a much smaller protection amount if you go that route.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Batteries now have a 5 Wd decay storing doesn’t work anymore, right?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

If they aren’t hooked up to any conduits can they still explode?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the conduit explodes, not the battery. if it's not connected it just won't contribute to the explosion.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

HelloSailorSign posted:

Batteries now have a 5 Wd decay storing doesn’t work anymore, right?
It might have been patched. The way I remember it is if you use a switch to switch batteries off grid it decayed and could zzt since its on its own network and if you physically deconstruct them they just hold it forever and never zzt.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Remember when people used to post in the thread claiming that it was easy to avoid zzt if you just set up incredibly complicated alternate power lines and acted like it was a grand plan by Tynan to make you put REAL THOUGHT into your electricity setup and not a poorly designed stupid random event?

And then we all ignored them, installed RT Fuse, and had fun with the game

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
I really don't get the zzzt hate. Even my largest zaps have been less eventful that a flash storm. Worse that ever happened was the fire hit my mortar shell depot but even that was a minor set back.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

zzt gives the player zero agency on how the bad thing happens, which is unique among the negative events now that blights make something resembling sense.

the main thing you can do to help with it is make sure all your exterior facings are stone, and there is no flammable material within striking distance of a conduit. that's a drat tall order.

further, fire is one of those things that you will never quite notice or bother with if you jump on it immediately every time, but if you're unable to get people to the scene for whatever reason (too many pyros/incapables, raid going on at the time, etc) it very quickly spirals out of control and is just super nasty.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

GodspeedSphere posted:

I really don't get the zzzt hate. Even my largest zaps have been less eventful that a flash storm. Worse that ever happened was the fire hit my mortar shell depot but even that was a minor set back.
When I first started playing I set up a solar panel, because that seemed neat, and then a battery so I could still do stuff at night. Then my battery exploded during a raid and burnt down my fort, and I haven't used batteries since.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it's basically a "have electricity, then randomly explode!" event which is silly.

It and instant bug spawning are my two least favorite events, apart from possibly some of the long term diseases which I rarely get.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
What I'm questioning is why the zzzt hate when we have flash storms, muscle parasites, and several other fill in the blank unmitigatible random events. I understand not enjoying it, but not the vitriolic hate.

To contribute I tried a tribal base in a swamp on a water heavy map (to copy Flesh Forge). Turns out almost all the ground is unbuildable marsh land, meaning I needed to place stone heavy boardwalks and bridges in order to build on top of them. Also since its so watery I have to import stone. And since I'm tribal research has been snail's pace slow, especially since my first researcher died and I didn't get a replacement for drat near a year. It's about the strangest play style ever and a huge contrast to my usual advanced bionic heavy end game.

I have a handful of high skill endgame characters, but my master builder lost an arm and has cataracts in his remaining eye so now he's my lovely animal trainer while my researcher actually can complete a building without multiple resource intensive failures. Finally got a full stone wall around my base though! Would have been sooner if I hadn't nearly lost my entire base to manhunting tortoises during a heat wave.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

again, it all is predicated on how the bad thing happens.

flashstorms you can prevent from being too much of an issue by just having proper roofing. frequently they are not even an issue at all since they can happen in a part of the map you're not even interested in. muscle parasites and other diseases definitely get a lot of hate here, not sure why you think they don't. maybe not muscle parasites specifically, but early diseases are noted as one of the most demoralizing things in the game. and even then, a decent doctor and a medicine stack will make those things nbd.

i'm unclear on what other events are unmitigatable. blight was the other big one (and again, frequently railed against), but that just changed to not be anywhere near so bad. zzzt is unique in that there really isn't an ounce of prevention you can employ against it, especially now that batteries are not required to make them happen.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

GodspeedSphere posted:

What I'm questioning is why the zzzt hate when we have flash storms, muscle parasites, and several other fill in the blank unmitigatible random events. I understand not enjoying it, but not the vitriolic hate.

To contribute I tried a tribal base in a swamp on a water heavy map (to copy Flesh Forge). Turns out almost all the ground is unbuildable marsh land, meaning I needed to place stone heavy boardwalks and bridges in order to build on top of them. Also since its so watery I have to import stone. And since I'm tribal research has been snail's pace slow, especially since my first researcher died and I didn't get a replacement for drat near a year. It's about the strangest play style ever and a huge contrast to my usual advanced bionic heavy end game.

I have a handful of high skill endgame characters, but my master builder lost an arm and has cataracts in his remaining eye so now he's my lovely animal trainer while my researcher actually can complete a building without multiple resource intensive failures. Finally got a full stone wall around my base though! Would have been sooner if I hadn't nearly lost my entire base to manhunting tortoises during a heat wave.

Its a drat shame this is too long to be a thread title

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
The new form of bullshit is tornadoes spawning on top of colonists (getting changed next patch) and space junk falling on them before you notice and have a chance to move (does not auto-pause).

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

GodspeedSphere posted:

Yeah, zzzt is annoying. It's worse than flash storms because not only does it cause fires, it also affects production (hydroponics can just keel over, for example) and you have no agency in it.

Muscle parasites and mechanites are also super irritating, though - in the exact same fashion as zzzt, really.

Low tech is pretty fun, as you mentioned. I'm starting to gravitate away from Medieval Times, though. I prefer the simplicity of Tribal Essentials / Tribal Raiders on a low-research multiplier start with no high-tech enemies, no ore, no stone chunks, and no ship part drops or cargo pods. Really makes stuff like steel/plasteel (via meteorites) feel much more valuable and makes winter something you need to prep for each year. Low-research multiplier makes new research really feel groundbreaking and valuable.

Trap tunnels still feel way OP regardless of your start. I enjoy the slugfest more anyway. No traps but using mud moats, embrasures, and the Run and Gun mod seems a lot more fair (and difficult).

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ruggan posted:

Yeah, zzzt is annoying. It's worse than flash storms because not only does it cause fires, it also affects production (hydroponics can just keel over, for example) and you have no agency in it.
It's also guaranteed to start it in the worst possible spot, right in the middle of your base. The entire rest of the map can be on fire from flash storms and even if it didn't trigger a rainstorm I would still prefer it to having a fire in my kitchen.

e: I'm sure I've lost more games to fire than any other mechanic by a long shot, especially while learning the game, so the utility of batteries would have to be pretty high for me to willingly deal with the worst fire-causing event in the game. And as it turns out they're mostly pointless, sooo...

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 2, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I find zzts annoying because we as a species have pretty much figured out how to not cause buildings to explode randomly just because they have power.

I'd be happier with them if they were load based like in Oxygen Not Included so you could control things just by having a better power grid

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ruggan posted:

Eh, the flipside of it being right in your base is that there are probably a ton of people around to fight the fire. Flashstorms can create massive unfightable forest fires because you're not going to be hopping right on every strike on the far side of the map.

Solar flares guarantee hydroponic death with literally nothing you can do about it. I never lost hydroponics, or anything else of consequence, to zzzts.

Zzzts are indeed unfun bullshit, but I totally agree with the poster who said they're not nearly so bad as the hate makes them out to be. I make my bases out of wood and I've never had any significant repercussions from the event, in contrast with blights (the old version- the new one is more or less fine), solar flares, tornadoes, and insects.

But maybe I'm just getting lucky. I remember being frustrated with them when I started playing however long ago that was. But now I know to put firefighting as top priority on everyone, and instantly draft/undraft everyone when a zzzt happens to reset their jobs, and it's been fine.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Technically, you can still avoid zzzts by not using conduits. You can even use batteries, as long as they touch the power source; only wires will explode.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Keeshhound posted:

Technically, you can still avoid zzzts by not using conduits. You can even use batteries, as long as they touch the power source; only wires will explode.

battery-reinforced double walls sound like a great idea

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ruggan posted:

battery-reinforced double walls sound like a great idea

Someone on Reddit described themselves using a line of batteries as their conduits, which I suppose you could build a base around if you planned it ahead of time. I think you can connect devices from 7 tiles away now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that sounds horrifying

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Ruggan posted:

I prefer the simplicity of Tribal Essentials / Tribal Raiders on a low-research multiplier start with no high-tech enemies, no ore, no stone chunks, and no ship part drops or cargo pods.

Dumb question, but how do you set stuff like no ore?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Demon_Corsair posted:

Dumb question, but how do you set stuff like no ore?

It’s a mod. Rainbeau’s Configurable Maps.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=920550053

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That's a really fascinating mod, it lets you do all sorts of poo poo to map setup (not all of it very advisable, sometimes).

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Wicked thanks. Gonna try that next game.

gently caress, almost every game I forget to make either the orbital beacon, the comm station, or both.

At least this game I prioritized drug production which everyone seems to buy so I can clean out the odd travelling caravan that comes by.

E: Is it just me, or are small animals way too vicious? I just watched a maddened turtle take out an auto turret. I'm more afraid of man hunter packs then of raids.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 3, 2018

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I've officially given up on trying to get OHU Dropships to work until a proper A18 release happens. I've followed all the advice in the thread and after dozens of crashes I was able to successfully launch a single ship and haven't been able to duplicate it since. Such an amazing mod that I wish I could find a replacement for.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Turtles are surprisingly strong and I've seen them take down much larger predators.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Prophecy120 posted:

I've officially given up on trying to get OHU Dropships to work until a proper A18 release happens. I've followed all the advice in the thread and after dozens of crashes I was able to successfully launch a single ship and haven't been able to duplicate it since. Such an amazing mod that I wish I could find a replacement for.

It only seems to work when you load with a single pawn. Pick one dude to load, maybe park the ship next to some preconfigured storage areas to make it quicker, and then load your strike team manually once all the supplies are on board.

But yeah I'm with you, I'm hoping they do a proper update soon.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Slung Blade posted:

It only seems to work when you load with a single pawn. Pick one dude to load, maybe park the ship next to some preconfigured storage areas to make it quicker, and then load your strike team manually once all the supplies are on board.

But yeah I'm with you, I'm hoping they do a proper update soon.

Yeah that's how I got it to work the one time. I turned all my colonists hauling jobs off and left only 1 with hauling enabled. He was able to load up some food and launch to a nearby bandit camp, but trying it again causes more crashes and unplayability. I guess I'll make do with pack muffalo like our forefathers before us.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Azhais posted:

I find zzts annoying because we as a species have pretty much figured out how to not cause buildings to explode randomly just because they have power.

It can happen, I had a real zzt event IRL a few years back, the conduit in my wall next to my electric meter exploded: huge hellish smoke in the ground floor room, all the neighbourhood without electricity. It wasn't my fault, just a faulty old conduit.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

cugel posted:

It can happen, I had a real zzt event IRL a few years back, the conduit in my wall next to my electric meter exploded: huge hellish smoke in the ground floor room, all the neighbourhood without electricity. It wasn't my fault, just a faulty old conduit.

Pretty much the entire point of the national electric code is to keep real life zzzts from burning the poo poo out of things, clearly these rim worlds could use some federal oversight :v

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

I'm more afraid of man hunter packs then of raids.

this is an important realization for any rimworld player. welcome...to the upper echelon

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Mimesweeper posted:

Pretty much the entire point of the national electric code is to keep real life zzzts from burning the poo poo out of things, clearly these rim worlds could use some federal oversight :v

A large group of Inspectors from NFPA have landed nearby!

They will prepare for awhile, and then inspect.

Prepare your electrical grid accordingly.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Only when you realize that the game is much better without turrets will you truly be... Upper Echelon

TheObserver posted:

A large group of Inspectors from NFPA have landed nearby!

They will prepare for awhile, and then inspect.

Prepare your electrical grid accordingly.

:golfclap:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

Only when you realize that the game is much better without turrets will you truly be... Upper Echelon

Hallways full of traps are the way to go?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

vanilla without turrets? lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The traps are only to thin out the raids a little bit, and yeah no I don't mean vanilla especially, although if you started out Spacer and went straight to powered armor you could probably do just as well as with Medieval Times. Plasteel melee weapons and melee shields are both vanilla and are extremely cool and good. I do recommend a mending mod though, or something that lessens or removes equipment wear and tear because tbh it's pretty stupid to have one fight and have everyone's armor be in tatters.

e: in fact I can't get through a game day any more with my current colony without a crash and it takes so long to restart/reload that heck I'll try that and see how it works :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 4, 2018