Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My cousin only plays sports games and league

I sorta nodded and pretended not to judge him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

As far as I know I am the only person in my extended family who plays video games. The kids of cousins maybe play phone games, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Relevant: On Christmas morning my sister saw my little brother using his switch. My sister remarked that no games really interested her but that Xenoblade 2 game looked pretty good. She asked if he was going to get it.

My brother then went on an angry little rant because he has an irrational hatred for that game.

what's your brother's forum account

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

cheetah7071 posted:

Nobody responded, so I am playing this, like a boring person

update: I won easily despite not having played in ages

I guess hard isn't hard enough when you know the choices that break the game even if you're out of practice

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008
The Division, Warframe, Destiny 2...

May I ask to those of you who have direct experience with these games, which one is the best looter shooter? I like fun shooting mechanics and character progression, and I am addicted to looting

Each game have people praising it as the best game ever, and people defining it a disappointment and failure.

They can all be tried for free, I know, but I find very difficult to decide which one I want to play. In my opinion these are games that you "get" only once you have an understanding of how the endgame looks like.

Thanks!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

My brother then went on an angry little rant because he has an irrational hatred for that game.

Buy him a forums account

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Relevant: On Christmas morning my sister saw my little brother using his switch. My sister remarked that no games really interested her but that Xenoblade 2 game looked pretty good. She asked if he was going to get it.

is he a forums account

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Mantees posted:

May I ask to those of you who have direct experience with these games, which one is the best looter shooter? I like fun shooting mechanics and character progression, and I am addicted to looting

Each game have people praising it as the best game ever, and people defining it a disappointment and failure.

They can all be tried for free, I know, but I find very difficult to decide which one I want to play. In my opinion these are games that you "get" only once you have an understanding of how the endgame looks like.

Thanks!

I haven't tried Warframe, but I did put a dozen hours into The Division and Destiny 2 so far and I'd go with the latter because the environments are very pretty, the shooting is fun and even if the game itself isn't a masterpiece it's a decent timewaster with a cheeesy as hell storyline with some decent VA.

The Division's setting is pretty run of the mill despite the level of detail and the most damning thing is the dreadful writing you can't escape whether or not you skip the cutscenes. It's only worth playing if you want political commentary in the form of trained undercover US soldiers shooting looters because looting is bad then looting the looters corpses themselves, "deep" messages along the lines of "what's one more black corpse on US soil???" and other laughable diatribes in a video game where you're encouraged to murder people to get a purple tier gun to replace your green tier one. And that's ignoring the sheer baditude oozing out of every character, even the supposed good ones, an issue that every single Ubisoft game has.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm going with Warframe on this one; Destiny 2's loot aspect is... eh? Every weapon class feels exactly the same save for some exotics; I got the game gifted to me with the season pass and haven't even played Osiris.

The Division was fun once at the start and once I hit endgame, but the middle was a slog.

Warframe I played, bounced off and then gave another try after watching this review and lost 250 hours in it. Just don't buy platinum until you get a 75% off coupon, and make sure to drop by the goon Warframe Discord, the folks there are great and they'll be more than happy to answer any question you may have and set you up with essential mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vuJitrbTFY

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Destiny 2 has the best shooting. Warframe has the best loot system. The Division has the best... uh...

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

haveblue posted:

Destiny 2 has the best shooting. Warframe has the best loot system. The Division has the best... uh...

It has the best Division.

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008
I actually don't get very well the loot system of Warframe. Mainly for two reasons:

First, you loot crafting materials. Which is less exciting than a cool new powerful weapon.

Second, you can actually get the crafting material for new warframes only when you have unlocked most planets. I tried the game for a few hours, and unless I missed something, I have the feeling that I can only play with my initial warframe for the first 50 or so hours.
So I have no idea yet of how different the game will feel when I will be able to change it.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far!!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Division's environment design is an impressive and inspired recreation of Lower Manhattan with amazing attention to detail and very few simple copy/paste assets. Unfortunately you have to play The Division in it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Thomasintokyo/status/948517507219914753

thomas romain is cool

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mantees posted:

Second, you can actually get the crafting material for new warframes only when you have unlocked most planets. I tried the game for a few hours, and unless I missed something, I have the feeling that I can only play with my initial warframe for the first 50 or so hours.
So I have no idea yet of how different the game will feel when I will be able to change it.

I totally get not being on board with the loot system, but the frame part is not entirely correct. You can get frame blueprints from planet bosses, and the usual progression for planets is Earth -> Mercury -> Venus/Mars -> Jupiter/Saturn (and some of their moons).

By then you could realistically get Hydroid (Earth), Frost (Mars), Rhino (Venus), Valkyr (Jupiter), Ember (Saturn) and I think Mag and Trinity from Phobos/Ceres.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm going with Warframe on this one; Destiny 2's loot aspect is... eh? Every weapon class feels exactly the same save for some exotics; I got the game gifted to me with the season pass and haven't even played Osiris.

The Division was fun once at the start and once I hit endgame, but the middle was a slog.

Warframe I played, bounced off and then gave another try after watching this review and lost 250 hours in it. Just don't buy platinum until you get a 75% off coupon, and make sure to drop by the goon Warframe Discord, the folks there are great and they'll be more than happy to answer any question you may have and set you up with essential mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vuJitrbTFY

I've always wondered about Warframe and had been meaning to watch that review. I have it downloaded and got through the tutorial before work. Seems fun. I enjoyed The Division, despite the story and characters BUT Tom Clancy is right there in the name, so you do have fair warning.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I was trying to write a big effort post about Destiny and the division but instead I'll say that Destiny 2 is pretty cruddy and all it has going for it at this point is it's excellent shooting. Which works cos it's all you do in that game. Every other aspect is dire, and it and the dlc was a regretful purchase imo but I traded in Dragon Age Inquisition and Fallout 4 so I got to get rid of two bad games so I think it worked out okay.

I also think that Warframe feels like poo poo to control so congratulations The Division you win by default

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I have a warframe account from the dawn of time that I played religiously when it first came out but then dropped 4.5 years ago. every time I try to get back into it, I boot it up and am completely overwhelmed with all of the things the game assumes I know and am skilled at at that point in the progression, proceed to belly flop on some mission I'm way out of depth for, and uninstall. Real cool game though

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

alarumklok posted:

I have a warframe account from the dawn of time that I played religiously when it first came out but then dropped 4.5 years ago. every time I try to get back into it, I boot it up and am completely overwhelmed with all of the things the game assumes I know and am skilled at at that point in the progression, proceed to belly flop on some mission I'm way out of depth for, and uninstall. Real cool game though

i imagine this would be exactly how it would go for me if i ever bothered to reinstall it which i will never do because even though the genre of rooty tooty loot n shooty is pretty dire from the get go warframe is still crummy taking that into consideration

there's other mindless crummy number smashing games i''d much rather spend the precious hours of my life that i will never get back half paying attention to

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
For all my love for it, Warframe is poo poo at explaining itself to new players and a lot of its mechanics are loving opaque even after you've put 50 hours into the bloody game. I don't agree that it controls like poo poo though, its movement does take a bit to get used to, but once you do you'll be flying through levels and pulling off ninja poo poo like it's nobody's business.

If any of you want to give it a go, here's the thread and I heartily recommend joining the Warframe Discord which is quite active; the goonframe community is amazing and are always willing to lend new players a hand and guide them through the more obtuse parts of the game.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
My mom can absolutely gently caress up a game of Ms. Pac Man. She has memorized the patterns. We were once late to a movie cause my local theatre had a Ms. Pac Man machine. Now all she plays is Bejewled or Sudoku on her phone but I have seen the beast that lurks within.

I'm proud to have inherited my gamer skills from her

So if you think I'm good at games, then Expect My Mom

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 3, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Speaking of pac man Ive started playing Pac Man CE2 again...hell of a game.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I thought they hosed up CE2 somehow. I forget what exactly, I didn't buy it

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Pac Man CE DX+ is way better than CE 2, it’s a little disappointing

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Expect My Mom posted:

My mom can absolutely gently caress up a game of Ms. Pac Man. She has memorized the patterns. We were once late to a movie cause my local theatre had a Ms. Pac Man machine. Now all she plays is Bejewled or Sudoku on her phone but I have seen the beast that lurks within.

I'm proud to have inherited my gamer skills from her

So if you think I'm good at games, then Expect My Mom

Anyone else's mom have trouble grasping the concept of a controller but will absolutely destroy a round of Tetris?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like it more than DX+ because the ghost phase is harder, even though I suck at the ghost phase. It makes high scores more varied and insane to watch.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

And non DX CE is even better still, the downward slope of Pac

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my mom is some sort of soul calibur whisperer, shes barely played video games but every christmas for like 15 years my siblings and i would plug in the gamecube and soul calibur 2 and shed utterly destroy us for an hour

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

she played cervantes

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

codenameFANGIO posted:

There's a CE 2 DX+ coming for Switch in a month or two with the old ghost mechanics back, co op mode, and some other new poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe I'll resume my goal to S rank every level in this even though Jumping is the biggest piece of poo poo to ever grace the PAC Man CE series

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

By then you could realistically get Hydroid (Earth), Frost (Mars), Rhino (Venus), Valkyr (Jupiter), Ember (Saturn) and I think Mag and Trinity from Phobos/Ceres.

The frames but not the materials. I have full Rhino blueprints but some materials like the Control Module can be found only much later, or am I wrong?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I haven't played the early game of warframe since they retooled it but can you get into the void yet? You can get control mods from there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Endorph posted:

she played cervantes

I hope this Christmas you return to the stage of history with her

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mantees posted:

The frames but not the materials. I have full Rhino blueprints but some materials like the Control Module can be found only much later, or am I wrong?

iirc you can get Control Modules from the first few Void nodes, which are accessible after... Mars? Phobos?

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

I haven't played the early game of warframe since they retooled it but can you get into the void yet? You can get control mods from there.

I have no idea at all but I will check

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i remember when warframe had upgrade trees for all the frames and weapons and ostensibly was going to develop in a direction where it would be possible to stealth through missions

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm glad she moved out of there however many years ago it has been now. I wanna say 5. Times are rough and tough, sure, but at least she feels safe and protected and happy here as opposed to living with some people she felt like she had to walk on eggshells around because they'd get pissy over the damnedest things.

there are some parents that are worth getting rid of. Having lovely in-laws is the worst. My father in law once tried to get my wife kicked out of her masters degree program during a meth fueled rampage because she was encouraging her mother to divorce him. Then he died and I was like 'good'.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mantees posted:

None of these games are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hope this Christmas you return to the stage of history with her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fw2XNo_oVo