Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah.
Replaced the plugs and DIC, DIC arrived with electro-gel already on it.
here's the plugs 1-4 left to right

I think they look pretty good. Gap not too big.
Tightened up the inner valve cover bolts, there was a very, very small amount of oil visible down between the plugs.
Hesitation seems gone, I'll find out if the surging between 30-65mph is gone tomorrow.
Feeling good, it's been a while since I did anything to a car besides put gas in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Success with DIC/plugs swap. Mileage back up to ~23 in the city, ~28 highway. Drove all the down to the end of LIttleton and back, drove to Golden & back, drove to Golden & then to airport and back this morning. No surging/weirdness at POT, only delay at a fast start is the normal turbo lag.
yay.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

insanity is doing the same thing twice and expecting different results. Btw I bought another Saab. If you read the chat thread you may already know this. 2004 9-5 Arc wagon. Its great but it needs a new battery, tires and some other odds and ends.

some_admin posted:

Success with DIC/plugs swap. Mileage back up to ~23 in the city, ~28 highway. Drove all the down to the end of LIttleton and back, drove to Golden & back, drove to Golden & then to airport and back this morning. No surging/weirdness at POT, only delay at a fast start is the normal turbo lag.
yay.

That's great news.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

epic bird guy posted:

insanity is doing the same thing twice and expecting different results. Btw I bought another Saab. If you read the chat thread you may already know this. 2004 9-5 Arc wagon. Its great but it needs a new battery, tires and some other odds and ends.

That's great news.

Thanks! I think it's great news too! Unfortunately, I also have blue smoke on very cold startups. like <35f (had this last year too). The internet says it could be valve guides, but is probably turbo bearings. hoo-fricking-ray. Cruise control still broken and it's too cold in garage for extended trouble shooting. Also looks like the exhaust is suffering pretty hard, I see bubbles on the rear resonator. Maybe the oil being burned will save the exhaust for a while!

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

some_admin posted:

Thanks! I think it's great news too! Unfortunately, I also have blue smoke on very cold startups. like <35f (had this last year too). The internet says it could be valve guides, but is probably turbo bearings. hoo-fricking-ray. Cruise control still broken and it's too cold in garage for extended trouble shooting. Also looks like the exhaust is suffering pretty hard, I see bubbles on the rear resonator. Maybe the oil being burned will save the exhaust for a while!

Do you always use full synthetic for oil changes? Even though they fixed the famous PCV issue by 2004, the engine will still do bad things on standard oil long term.

Agreed on the too cold for troubleshooting. I need to figure out why the high beams on mine won't stay on.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 3, 2018

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The high beams might be the rotary switch on the left side of the dash, it changes the behavior from flash high beams to stay on high beams. (I only know this because my daughter changed the setting on the dial, resulting in flash only high beams.)
I used (well technically, I paid for it anyway) full synthetic for every single oil change, changed the oil twice a year regardless of mileage, so I hope it's not sludge. I like this car a lot for the first 5 years. Other than clipping curbs and buying expensive tires every so often.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

some_admin posted:

As a guy who has run many many cars of rotary turbo or piston turbo and NA of both, valve guides usually cause blue smoke under deceleration, but can cause it at cold start if the rocker cover area is full of pressure and oil everywhere due to blow by caused by excessive piston ring/bore wear :v:
Valve seals/guides seem less likely to cause the problem if everything turbocold as oil would flow less from the cylinders through the spaz to the rocker cover and deliciously dripping down onto a perfectly waiting and appropriately warn valve stem seal eagerly collecting deposits to drip down it's worn oriface into an inviting combustion chamber trap.
Dunno, seem more likely when everything is hot to trot

But if all that is not hosed (and you wish it wasn't everything hosed), then turbo is the usual suspect. Source: some rear end turbo oval office swore his poo poo was good so must be the engine. Because of course it's a rotary so get the hell out of my shop. Some other guy said similar for a piston engine turbo to me as well - "my turbo is good so it must be your engine..."
After an engine rebuild they still smoked on cold start up so it was turbofucked.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 4, 2018

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

What dumbasses. Why would you convince a mechanic to do an engine rebuild when you could easily remove, inspect, and replace a turbocharger for a fraction of the cost?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Unknown motors, as they were Japanese 2nd hand import motors, and also dumb 20 y/o me 20 years ago going for tuning shop recommendations ie they say not turbo, their mate turbo shop saying not turbo, me going "oh well, it's an unknown engine, I want to port it/improve it anyway..."
LOL turbofucked

Oh well I wanted to upgrade the turbo with a reputable aftermarket brand from a good tuner and turbo shop anyway.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 4, 2018

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Grab my hose! (and break the clips off the fitting goddamnit) I got some hose questions.

I wanted to see if there was sludgy stuff in the PCV hoses.

This fitting had a clip that fit onto the hooks on the boss on the valve cover. I figured I I could pry them up and then look/poke in the hose.
Well, 10 years of engine bay heat had done their magic and the clips were completley rigid and broke without even flexing. I replaced it with a bent peice of aluminum rod. The thing is, this fitting had an O-ring in it, but it seems the whole fitting had shrunk so there is substantial play. Definitely not sealing.
On the bright side, there was no sludge or anything else in the hose.
What is this hose for, does it matter if it is not air-tight?
I also notice a fair bit of oil residue around engine compartment, you can see the thickest part under the edge of the oil filler cap on the right.
Could oily vapor be leaking out of this?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

some_admin posted:

Could oily vapor be leaking out of this?

Certainly. The SAAB PCV system knows no boundaries in terms of what can be leaking where, as it is the absolute pride of LOLSAAB engineering. Though if there was stuff coming out there you would see of oily gunk around the fitting. Yours seems to have preferred to spew it out the oil filler cap instead to celebrate its glorious engineering heritage.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Too bad this is an auto because it looks great

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-saab-900-2/

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

epic bird guy posted:

Too bad this is an auto because it looks great

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-saab-900-2/

Holy poo poo, that seller has to be on meth.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
RECALL QUESTION:

I just finally got a notice that parts are available for the airbag recall on my 9-3. I set an appointment, using their website, on Monday so I can drop my vehicle off on Friday at my local Cadillac dealer. I just now (wed) got a text from them asking if I ordered the part for the recall. NO? That's not how recalls work? What am I missing here?

pjhalifax
May 29, 2004

love boat captain

Aeka 2.0 posted:

RECALL QUESTION:

I just finally got a notice that parts are available for the airbag recall on my 9-3. I set an appointment, using their website, on Monday so I can drop my vehicle off on Friday at my local Cadillac dealer. I just now (wed) got a text from them asking if I ordered the part for the recall. NO? That's not how recalls work? What am I missing here?
Doesn't sound right to me. When mine was replaced the service center handled all of the ordering - I had the airbag and fuel pump replaced under recalls for my 9-3. I did have a terrible time trying to find an authorized service center in my area, though, and a couple of the centers attached to Cadillac/GM dealerships I called were so clueless that it doesn't surprise me that there'd be problems.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
R.I.P. my beautiful '06.

You were too good for this world. Or at least, too good for USAA to fix. Picked it up brand new in Trollhattan, drove it 12 years.

(loving no-road watching soccer moms.)

I'm in the marketplace again for a car, and I'm looking at Turbo Xs (or the later 9-3s with AWD, or a decent shape V70R). So far everyone seems to want silly money for them (15k+), enough that when I saw this one for 9k:

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2008-saab-9-3-turbo-awd-4dr/6449237534.html

I started wondering what problems might be hiding there. Is this price suspiciously low? I'd prefer a stick, but I'm to the point now where I can live with either. And I haven't seen anything below 12k that wasn't modded to an unattractive degree.

For that matter, is the Turbo X worth the premium? I have no illusions as to their collectibility, but I like the idea of owning what is close to the swan song for the brand (the last 9-5 is probably moreso, but fuckkkkkkkk worrying about that parts availability). I never saw any major complaints about the AWD system.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Something be broke:
A muffler and brake shop was able to read the OBD II codes and when I went to read them with my scanner a few days later the scanner was acting like I didn't have it plugged in. I didnt have a volt meter on hand at the time so I'm assuming they blew a fuse for the OBD II power? Or is this a common issue with a SAAB?

pjhalifax posted:

Doesn't sound right to me. When mine was replaced the service center handled all of the ordering - I had the airbag and fuel pump replaced under recalls for my 9-3. I did have a terrible time trying to find an authorized service center in my area, though, and a couple of the centers attached to Cadillac/GM dealerships I called were so clueless that it doesn't surprise me that there'd be problems.

Yeah after talking to them they placed the order for the airbag and everything went smoothly, except for the fact that I wanted some other work done and they told me they didn't work on Saabs even though they are an authorized service center. Whatever.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Something be broke:
A muffler and brake shop was able to read the OBD II codes and when I went to read them with my scanner a few days later the scanner was acting like I didn't have it plugged in. I didnt have a volt meter on hand at the time so I'm assuming they blew a fuse for the OBD II power? Or is this a common issue with a SAAB?

Yeah after talking to them they placed the order for the airbag and everything went smoothly, except for the fact that I wanted some other work done and they told me they didn't work on Saabs even though they are an authorized service center. Whatever.

Are you sure the ODB plug didn't come out of the harness in the back? I'd try and get in the driver's footwell and see if they didn't pull something loose.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I got one of those 20 dollar bluetooth OBD II scanners and that worked just fine.

I'm having misfire problems once I reach a certain load. Code P1312 (cyl 1 and 2).

I changed the plugs, cleared code, and the same misfire is happening; code came back.

I swapped coils 1 and 2 with 3 and 4, same code, misfire is less aggressive.

Swapped coils back to their original spots, misfire is back to original aggressiveness.

The code never moved off of 1 and 2. Is there something else on a 2007 9-3 2.0T I should be looking at?

edit: looks like the issue is explained here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJlU3QKkud0

Thank god for the internet.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 28, 2018

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

GD_American posted:

For that matter, is the Turbo X worth the premium? I have no illusions as to their collectibility, but I like the idea of owning what is close to the swan song for the brand (the last 9-5 is probably moreso, but fuckkkkkkkk worrying about that parts availability). I never saw any major complaints about the AWD system.

Well, that depends on how much SAAB-ness you actually want to live with. These have an older Haldex system which can become cranky and need replacing if you don't take care of it. Other than that, many of the 2.8T bits are compatible with your standard 9-3SS.

If you buy it, and can find a newer NA GPS map than 2008, I'd love to get a copy- it's unobtanium even from the manufacturer, and uses an outdated format that nobody seems to make semi-compatible maps for, 10 years on.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I got one of those 20 dollar bluetooth OBD II scanners and that worked just fine.

I'm having misfire problems once I reach a certain load. Code P1312 (cyl 1 and 2).

I changed the plugs, cleared code, and the same misfire is happening; code came back.

I swapped coils 1 and 2 with 3 and 4, same code, misfire is less aggressive.

Swapped coils back to their original spots, misfire is back to original aggressiveness.

The code never moved off of 1 and 2. Is there something else on a 2007 9-3 2.0T I should be looking at?

edit: looks like the issue is explained here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJlU3QKkud0

Thank god for the internet.

I replaced the ioniz module and I'm still misfiring. Its a lot softer, but it still is. Full load, 4k rpm. Basically near peak torque and boost. So what now my Saab dudes?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Bipolar Transistor posted:

Well, that depends on how much SAAB-ness you actually want to live with. These have an older Haldex system which can become cranky and need replacing if you don't take care of it. Other than that, many of the 2.8T bits are compatible with your standard 9-3SS.

If you buy it, and can find a newer NA GPS map than 2008, I'd love to get a copy- it's unobtanium even from the manufacturer, and uses an outdated format that nobody seems to make semi-compatible maps for, 10 years on.

Ended up getting a different Turbo X that was in Chicago. Far, far better shape, but no nav. The dealer laughed at me when I said I really wanted a wagon with a manual (his response was something along the lines of "I'd like to ride a unicorn too").

I'm educating myself right now on the differences with the V6 from the 4-cylinder (they sure made oil changes 180 degrees different and a lot messier), and changing all the fluids just on GP. Getting ceramic tint put in next week, and I'm halfway tempted to go illegal as poo poo just to finish the Vader look this car gives off.

I miss my old Saab, but this thing is being so goddamned sexy makes it a lot easier to cope.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I replaced the ioniz module and I'm still misfiring. Its a lot softer, but it still is. Full load, 4k rpm. Basically near peak torque and boost. So what now my Saab dudes?

I'd actually start by replacing the ignition coils after putting new NGKs in it, myself. The 2.8 is a fickle bitch, and yes, I have had to replace several of them which seemed perfectly fine. The Cadillac ones tend to work OK- but I only have about 20k on those. Don't get cheap aftermarket- they won't last 10k.

GD_American posted:

Ended up getting a different Turbo X that was in Chicago. Far, far better shape, but no nav. The dealer laughed at me when I said I really wanted a wagon with a manual (his response was something along the lines of "I'd like to ride a unicorn too").

You could always ask Jim Miller if he wants to sell his.

GD_American posted:

I miss my old Saab, but this thing is being so goddamned sexy makes it a lot easier to cope.

I've never been happy with oil changes with the GM engine, either. That sexy rumble with the TX is what's missing from the rest of the lineup. After an extended period in one, I went back to a 9-5, and couldn't figure out why the car was so quiet.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Bipolar Transistor posted:

I'd actually start by replacing the ignition coils after putting new NGKs in it, myself. The 2.8 is a fickle bitch, and yes, I have had to replace several of them which seemed perfectly fine. The Cadillac ones tend to work OK- but I only have about 20k on those. Don't get cheap aftermarket- they won't last 10k.

I have a lowly 2.0. Same coils? I'm going to check the gap on the plugs this weekend. I also need to see if they are good ones that were installed. I'm letting the wife drive it for the week and I'll check the codes again as well this weekend.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I have a lowly 2.0. Same coils? I'm going to check the gap on the plugs this weekend. I also need to see if they are good ones that were installed. I'm letting the wife drive it for the week and I'll check the codes again as well this weekend.

No, the 2.0 uses 12787707, whereas the 2.8 takes 12583514. When I picked up an '06 9-3 2.0T, during my rehab to it- I found that the ECU was going bad, and had had started to fry the coils; it took a hell of a lot of time to track it down, because I'd replace two of the coils, and it'd run pefectly fine for months- then go back to the same old poo poo.

I ended up sourcing a donor ECU, coding it, and replacing all 4 coils (and NGKs) one last time time. It's gone for a year since with no issues, even if it was a damage to the wallet. Cheap SAABs never are.

I had one coil pack start to go bad on me in the middle of BFE in the 2.8. Of course, I didn't have a reader with me, so I was making GBS threads myself waiting for a few hours for the only shop within a few hundred miles to pull codes for me. Got a nice sunburnfarmer tan out of it, though.

So, yeah, NG9-3 like to eat coilpacks.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Well, moving the coil packs throws the 1312 code (coil 1 and 2 only) no matter the position. Does this mean that with the ionization module in the system that the fault code will always be a 1312 no matter which of the four are misfiring? IE, random misfire, and not 1 or 2?
I haven't gotten around to checking gap yet, but drat, I just dropped a small fortune into this car last summer as the fan modules went out and I had a few other things taken care of. I don't want to deal with a drat ECU problem.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 6, 2018

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I'd decided I couldn't quite take it in the 1999 9-3 convertible anymore.
I donated it today.

It has been replaced by a 2005 9-3 Linear (with manual trans).
Shockingly, a one owner car (<96,000 miles) , who didn't appear to thrash it. As far as I can tell, the only things round with it:
-Passenger seat weight sensor seems to think someone's sitting in it.
-Cruise control turns out but won't set
-Stripped gear in the CD player (already ordered a new one on ebay)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

GD_American posted:

How much were you thinking a Turbo X would run? I saw this on CL and seller told me some guy was coming for it with a trailer at $12k:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Saab-9-3-Turbo-X/132497460097

I'm still really tempted by the NG 9-5. It looks so good. I have to keep telling myself that the V6 (and HiPer strut) and XWD aren't worth the weight penalty and parts issues.
Though the V6 motor is more GM than the Turbo 4, right?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

How much were you thinking a Turbo X would run? I saw this on CL and seller told me some guy was coming for it with a trailer at $12k:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Saab-9-3-Turbo-X/132497460097

I saw that one, thought long and hard about it, but "engine tuned by a guy 1500 miles away from you" was a serious dealbreaker.

Also the one at a dealership in Missouri for $5k, who were at least nice enough to be upfront with "yeah the timing chain is hosed, buy as is".

I guess I figured they'd all be running around 15k because before I actually started looking for an STX, all I saw was that one in Iowa they want that much for. Once I actually started looking, I realized the depreciation curve had really done its magic.

I reserve the right to complain in the future if the unobtainium shocks or something STX-specific goes to poo poo, but in the meantime good god I love this loving thing.

kimbo305 posted:

I'm still really tempted by the NG 9-5. It looks so good. I have to keep telling myself that the V6 (and HiPer strut) and XWD aren't worth the weight penalty and parts issues.
Though the V6 motor is more GM than the Turbo 4, right?

There's plenty of 4-cylinder 9-5NGs out there. I seriously considered one a doctor in Cleveland was selling (stick, blue) until I saw the Carfax had an airbags-deployed accident on it. They are seriously beautiful.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

GD_American posted:

I saw that one, thought long and hard about it, but "engine tuned by a guy 1500 miles away from you" was a serious dealbreaker.
I reserve the right to complain in the future if the unobtainium shocks or something STX-specific goes to poo poo, but in the meantime good god I love this loving thing.
For me, the reviews when it came out were the most damning thing. They just didn't think it handled that well. Can anyone tune how XWD behaves? That's my concern with both the Turbo X and the NG 9-5 XWD -- that it doesn't deliver on what you want good AWD to be.

quote:

There's plenty of 4-cylinder 9-5NGs out there. I seriously considered one a doctor in Cleveland was selling (stick, blue) until I saw the Carfax had an airbags-deployed accident on it. They are seriously beautiful.

How often does a manual one come up?
I see just this one right now: https://www.hendricklexuscharlotte.com/VehicleDetails/used-2011-Saab-9_5-Turbo4-Buford-GA/3155138353
The price isn't right, but I'm still curious. It has a minimum of the console button chipping that seems to be extremely prevalent (and presumably unavoidable).
Did anyone even make black headlight surrounds and accents? The dealer says it's black plastic, but I'd be amazed if that were a factory option or if some aftermarket shop decided to make some.

My goal would be to get that for 11-12.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

How often does a manual one come up?
I see just this one right now: https://www.hendricklexuscharlotte.com/VehicleDetails/used-2011-Saab-9_5-Turbo4-Buford-GA/3155138353
The price isn't right, but I'm still curious. It has a minimum of the console button chipping that seems to be extremely prevalent (and presumably unavoidable).
Did anyone even make black headlight surrounds and accents? The dealer says it's black plastic, but I'd be amazed if that were a factory option or if some aftermarket shop decided to make some.

My goal would be to get that for 11-12.

I literally only saw one other manual one available within 500-600 miles from here the 2 months I was looking. And I've never seen black accent pieces like that. But going by the wheels, they basically rattle-canned it. For 16k? Jesus.

I'll be the first to admit I haven't, nor probably ever will hoon the AWD enough to judge its shortcomings. And I don't realistically expect it to be some kind of STI competitor. It's a 10 year old example of a one-year testbed built on a 20-year old GM midsize platform. There's a reason depreciation made it reachable. That said- it's extremely nice and dead-level planted in curves, even under hard acceleration (which is the big difference I notice over my dear-departed FWD '06).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

GD_American posted:

I literally only saw one other manual one available within 500-600 miles from here the 2 months I was looking. And I've never seen black accent pieces like that. But going by the wheels, they basically rattle-canned it. For 16k? Jesus.

There's only like 800 NG 9-5s in the US, right? Can't imagine how few are the base manuals. I'm coming up on sinking money into the 911, so need to reframe the search time for one of these accordingly. Passed on an auto that had a coin sized scratch to the metal that was touched up but otherwise well maintained. Only 8500.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Well, moving the coil packs throws the 1312 code (coil 1 and 2 only) no matter the position. Does this mean that with the ionization module in the system that the fault code will always be a 1312 no matter which of the four are misfiring? IE, random misfire, and not 1 or 2?
I haven't gotten around to checking gap yet, but drat, I just dropped a small fortune into this car last summer as the fan modules went out and I had a few other things taken care of. I don't want to deal with a drat ECU problem.

Honestly, I'd stick a Tech2 on it at this point, because that's still strange, but I've had some aftermarket coils which didn't "unset" bad codes when migrated, because their data was loving garbage.

After a reflash and all "good" coils, it hasn't thrown a code in several years. The ECU issue is a big loving cunthole, though, yeah. Ask me about the 2006 I don't own, but still have to pay to repair!

kimbo305 posted:

There's only like 800 NG 9-5s in the US, right? Can't imagine how few are the base manuals. I'm coming up on sinking money into the 911, so need to reframe the search time for one of these accordingly. Passed on an auto that had a coin sized scratch to the metal that was touched up but otherwise well maintained. Only 8500.

You can always put the same Haldex on an old T-X/9-3x by migrating the module backwards. NG9-5? poo poo fried? Nice looking flowerpot.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Not quite that rare, just seems so. 3,419.

https://www.esaabparts.com/saab/production/data/9-5_2010_2011.php

Or if you want to drill down into the data to a ridiculous degree:

http://9-5sc2012.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Saab_9-5NG_Production_Report_v1_1.pdf

Now if you want holy poo poo rare, look for a NG 9-5 SportCombi

http://9-5sc2012.com/

Twenty-seven.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

So, I'm running into an odd issue that I just can't seem to easily resolve.

2000 9-5 2.3 Aero with the Automatic. NPS failed, so car is forever thinking that it's in reverse.

Can't read the number on it, the sticker is gone and the casing is so eroded that anything imprinted on the shell is long gone. It's the same hardware as a 5256060, but it has TWO leads, rather than one. I don't have EPC available.

What the hell is this beast?

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
Maybe the NLS 4926937 part? EPC shows something looking like 1 bundled lead splitting to two connectors:

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

Mario posted:

Maybe the NLS 4926937 part? EPC shows something looking like 1 bundled lead splitting to two connectors:

It looks like that's it, thanks! Guess I'll have to pull out an ohmmeter and make an adapter. Yay!

Of course there's 3 inches of snow since last night and it's still coming down, so I guess it can sit "stuck in reverse" for a couple more days.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dammit, an NG 9-5 popped up on my CarGurus saved search, but it was actually automatic and misclassed as manual.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

kimbo305 posted:

Dammit, an NG 9-5 popped up on my CarGurus saved search, but it was actually automatic and misclassed as manual.
I really wanted an OG 9-5 in manual to replace a car that I gave up when my first son was born ('02 9-5 Aero). I figured an '04+ 9-5 in manual, not from the rust belt, with < 120k miles would be my target. I had alerts on craigslist, cars.com, and cargurus. I gave up after about a year of searching. The handful of manuals that fit the bill in my geographic/time off reach during that time was ~3, and someone beat me to the punch each time. I ended up giving up on the manual transmission and got an Automatic '08 9-5 Aero with really low miles over 2 years ago, and even with all the alerts still in place, nothing has triggered that made me mobilize my carbuying power again.

Not saying you should give up, but you might need a plan B if an NG 9-5 in manual never feasibly shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think I'd be happy if I could get one in the next 2 years. Just need to have the money ready to buy one instead of selling a car first.
The mislisted one had a perfect console, which seems rare with the NG. This V6 XWD is tempting except it has the worst flaking on the buttons:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Saab-9-5-Aero-XWD/232672234404?epid=112490495

Older 9-5 manuals aren't hard to find in New England, but a lot of them have rust.