Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Appreciate the responses! The harbor freight ones look about perfect for my needs, and your use case is really similar. Thanks!

Jinh has a new favorite as of 20:45 on Dec 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looking to buy a clothes steamer. I’m tired of ironing my clothes. Any suggestions as to a hand held one or one on a rack?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I have one of these steamers. I like it!

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I live in an area that has much drier air than where I moved from and right now I am going nuts with itchy dry skin especially on my feet and hands. Can anyone recommend a non-girly smelling moisturizer or lotion that might help?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I live in an area that has much drier air than where I moved from and right now I am going nuts with itchy dry skin especially on my feet and hands. Can anyone recommend a non-girly smelling moisturizer or lotion that might help?

I have bad skin problems to the point where my hands crack with what looks like papercuts all over. It’s awful. Jack Black’s Industrial Hand Healer can keep it 99% in check if I use it daily. The stuff is magical. Has a eucalyptus smell that doesn’t linger for long. If it’s too pricy for you then Dr Palmers cocoa butter lotion is a good option as well.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Vaseline Problem Skin Therapy Creamy Petroleum Jelly 220mL https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003M5UN02/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_AkWnAb5F343T6

It’s part-Cream, part-petroleum-jelly.

Also, as weird as it feels to have on, petroleum jelly-based compounds should be more effective at healing dry skin than water-based creams or alcohol-based lotions. If you don’t have chronic dry skin, though, it’s probably not necessary to go that far.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Bag balm

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Posting one of my favourite products: the Mambe waterproof blanket.

They're made in the USA and equally good for fun times involving coconut oil or stomach distress you're afraid you might sleep through.

Perhaps you have small mammals not entirely in control of their excretions. They have a blanket for that too.

Many colours, reasonably cozy to sleep on.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Thanks for the anal blanket rec

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

i bought one

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Can you confirm your santorum washed right out?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I prefer to call it truffle butter because I don't like thinking about rick santorum and I will provide a trip report when it arrives

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have bad skin problems to the point where my hands crack with what looks like papercuts all over. It’s awful. Jack Black’s Industrial Hand Healer can keep it 99% in check if I use it daily. The stuff is magical. Has a eucalyptus smell that doesn’t linger for long. If it’s too pricy for you then Dr Palmers cocoa butter lotion is a good option as well.

Jack Black's is good stuff all around, not cheap no but the all over body wash has done the trick the last few years to keep my skin from going bonkers when the seasons change. I've stuck with the beard lube for the last handful of years too. The beard lube is actually not as expensive as it appears, a little bit goes a long way. The 16 Oz bottle lasts me a year, head and face shaves, 3/4 times a week.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bogatyr posted:

Jack Black's is good stuff all around, not cheap no but the all over body wash has done the trick the last few years to keep my skin from going bonkers when the seasons change. I've stuck with the beard lube for the last handful of years too. The beard lube is actually not as expensive as it appears, a little bit goes a long way. The 16 Oz bottle lasts me a year, head and face shaves, 3/4 times a week.

Have you tried the beard oil? I haven’t tried their lube but man the oil is so good. I’m making my own now but if I ever stop I’ll absolutely go back to theirs. The brand seems to use very high quality ingredients in everything. Certainly makes up for the high prices.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
How much beard oil are people using that price even factors into your purchase? I think I'm still using the same ounce bottle of it that I was given two years ago for Christmas.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Sounds like someone has a lame rear end beard

Edit: that was rude. What I meant to say was "grow more beard! You can do it!"

The Ferret King has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Dec 23, 2017

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Have you tried the beard oil? I haven’t tried their lube but man the oil is so good. I’m making my own now but if I ever stop I’ll absolutely go back to theirs. The brand seems to use very high quality ingredients in everything. Certainly makes up for the high prices.

I haven't tried their beard oil, I am still slowly working on another bottle i've had for a while. Though I just have a long goatee at this point, did a 2 year no shave grizzly Adams situation. I found that just regular conditioner is fine for that. The goatee I like beard oil to weigh it down just a touch.
https://www.amazon.com/Brisk-Beard-Grooming-Citrus-Fluid/dp/B01NGYIHU8 got it at CVS 9 bucks or something, super light.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Maybe I am reading you wrong but the Beard Lube is a shaving lotion. Consistency is like skin lotion, no foam at all.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

The Ferret King posted:

Sounds like someone has a lame rear end beard

Edit: that was rude. What I meant to say was "grow more beard! You can do it!"

Sure, but like the beard isn't supposed to be dripping with oil, like one-two drops maybe twice a week is all you really need to keep it from drying out.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yes. I understand beards.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

bongwizzard posted:

Sure, but like the beard isn't supposed to be dripping with oil, like one-two drops maybe twice a week is all you really need to keep it from drying out.

I need a small middle of palm full about 4 times a week to keep my skin and beard great. Daily is even better. Keeps it soft, manageable, shiny.

Bogatyr posted:

Maybe I am reading you wrong but the Beard Lube is a shaving lotion. Consistency is like skin lotion, no foam at all.

Nah I wasn’t saying it was foam or anything, just saying their beard line in general is great.

Bogatyr posted:

I haven't tried their beard oil, I am still slowly working on another bottle i've had for a while. Though I just have a long goatee at this point, did a 2 year no shave grizzly Adams situation. I found that just regular conditioner is fine for that. The goatee I like beard oil to weigh it down just a touch.
https://www.amazon.com/Brisk-Beard-Grooming-Citrus-Fluid/dp/B01NGYIHU8 got it at CVS 9 bucks or something, super light.

It’s funny you mention the conditioner thing. I used to use special beard soap etc. there is a benefit to it based on ingredients but I realized my normal hair shampoo and conditioner works great on it as long as I don’t overdo it. Now I treat my face and head the same and oil after every shower.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This might be a weird one:
I live in a rental with huge, lovely windows. One of which is a sliding glass door.
They let in the cold air like a motherfucker.

I obviously can't replace them and probably won't be here long enough to justify expensive curtains.

Is there a temporary solution that will get me through the winter? I saw some sorta plastic shrink wrap. Is that any good?

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

This might be a weird one:
I live in a rental with huge, lovely windows. One of which is a sliding glass door.
They let in the cold air like a motherfucker.

I obviously can't replace them and probably won't be here long enough to justify expensive curtains.

Is there a temporary solution that will get me through the winter? I saw some sorta plastic shrink wrap. Is that any good?

I’ve heard of people also using bubble wrap to insulate windows. Either big sheets of plastic wrap shrunk with a hair dryer or bubble wrap will probably do the job. Regardless of which method you try, I think it’ll prevent you from using the door because it’ll be sealed shut to the frame. Would that be a problem?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

experienceBeej posted:

I’ve heard of people also using bubble wrap to insulate windows. Either big sheets of plastic wrap shrunk with a hair dryer or bubble wrap will probably do the job. Regardless of which method you try, I think it’ll prevent you from using the door because it’ll be sealed shut to the frame. Would that be a problem?

Only for my one friend that smokes but he can use the other door.
The total size is about 7' X 10' so it's a little intimidating.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

I need a small middle of palm full about 4 times a week to keep my skin and beard great. Daily is even better. Keeps it soft, manageable, shiny.

Nah I wasn’t saying it was foam or anything, just saying their beard line in general is great.

It’s funny you mention the conditioner thing. I used to use special beard soap etc. there is a benefit to it based on ingredients but I realized my normal hair shampoo and conditioner works great on it as long as I don’t overdo it. Now I treat my face and head the same and oil after every shower.

I've been shaving my head for a long time so regular hair care stuff just isn't around but I came to the same conclusion that it's just hair when I grew a full, long beard. Shampoo and conditioner gets me most of the way there.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I use beard oil and balm because it makes my beard soft and smell nice and my gf loves it

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Speaking of beard oil (and since this is technically PYF): Mod Cabin's "Miner's Mint" is my favourite. Makes your beard smell like lemon pie!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is the Philips Norelco Shaver 7500 a good shaver? I got one for Christmas and I’m trying to decide whether to swap it for a Braun or possibly save the money for a Nintendo Switch.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is the Philips Norelco Shaver 7500 a good shaver? I got one for Christmas and I’m trying to decide whether to swap it for a Braun or possibly save the money for a Nintendo Switch.

Shave with the Nintendo Switch.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Etrips posted:

Shave with the Nintendo Switch.

Can...... can I do that?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

It truly is the perfect console

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Looking to pickup a new laptop for work and I'm curious about brands I should avoid. I really like my ThinkPad but it's older and has been having issues, plus it struggles to run kodi on my 2nd screen while I'm working. Would like to also play a few games, but nothing with real crazy graphics. Budget is around $1000 max.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Inspector 34 posted:

Looking to pickup a new laptop for work and I'm curious about brands I should avoid. I really like my ThinkPad but it's older and has been having issues, plus it struggles to run kodi on my 2nd screen while I'm working. Would like to also play a few games, but nothing with real crazy graphics. Budget is around $1000 max.

There is a dedicated Laptop Megathread that will be better to answer your question with up to date information.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Thanks I looked through the first few pages of Inspect You Gadgets and didn't see anything. Much appreciated!

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Just in case this is a problem for anyone else, if you're trying to sleeve the card deck from your brand new Betrayal at House on the Hill board game, the magic words are French tarot-sized card sleeves.

Also, this is a really great game and if you're on the fence about it, you should get it.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

queserasera posted:

Just in case this is a problem for anyone else, if you're trying to sleeve the card deck from your brand new Betrayal at House on the Hill board game, the magic words are French tarot-sized card sleeves.

Also, this is a really great game and if you're on the fence about it, you should get it.

That game rules for several reasons: 1) it's basically baby's first rpg so it's really easy to get into 2) a huge replayability factor 3) the game has two distinct halves which mean it has a built in break for a second round of drinks 4) it makes game board purists very mad. I love it, thanks for the tip about the card sleeves!

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Rubiks Pubes posted:

If you're still in the market, one other suggestion: Cetaphil

https://www.amazon.com/Cetaphil-Moi...s=cetaphil&th=1

Works wonders, very little odor. I started using it a few years back when my dermatologist recommended it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Van Dis posted:

4) it makes game board purists very mad.

I didn’t know this part, going to have to look into that. I’ve got the game but only played once, can confirm it’s fun

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I need a garlic press. Anybody have one they're in love with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Argyle posted:

I need a garlic press. Anybody have one they're in love with?

This is the one I use. My only advice is to take off the handles (they slide off easily with a bit of force) if you're going to wash it in the dishwasher, otherwise they retain water.