Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Trying to remember an arcade game (or games) I'd always watch the demo for as a kid:

- Early 1990's (1990-1994) arcade cabinet
- Demo/intro involved a female reporter speaking to a camera about an alien invasion, and then an alien hand covering her mouth and pulling her off screen
- Gameplay wasn't isometric, but it wasn't 100% top-down either--closer to something like Super Smash TV
- Pretty typical, colorful pixel-art graphics for its era; not attempting photo-realism
- One of the first bosses (I think) was a green alien piloting a vehicle with an alien face on it, almost like it was sentient
- Maybe I'm conflating this game with another memory, but I feel like there was a scene where astronauts were being eaten by large yellow space aliens (the reason I say I might be mixing the two is because in this memory, the gameplay is sidescrolling).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Trying to remember an arcade game (or games) I'd always watch the demo for as a kid:

- Early 1990's (1990-1994) arcade cabinet
- Demo/intro involved a female reporter speaking to a camera about an alien invasion, and then an alien hand covering her mouth and pulling her off screen
- Gameplay wasn't isometric, but it wasn't 100% top-down either--closer to something like Super Smash TV
- Pretty typical, colorful pixel-art graphics for its era; not attempting photo-realism
- One of the first bosses (I think) was a green alien piloting a vehicle with an alien face on it, almost like it was sentient
- Maybe I'm conflating this game with another memory, but I feel like there was a scene where astronauts were being eaten by large yellow space aliens (the reason I say I might be mixing the two is because in this memory, the gameplay is sidescrolling).

Total Carnage. (the scene you're referencing starts around 2m30s into this video)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

boof posted:

Total Carnage. (the scene you're referencing starts around 2m30s into this video)

Nice! Yup, that's it!

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
This RPG (SNES?) whose magic was based on whatever words you typed. I'm fairly sure a fan-translated version was LP'd here, with the intro post going on about how the translators had to make up a new system to accomodate the change.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
~rudra's secret treasure~

the game where you can type SHITCUNT and the game, not sure what to do with that, would just make a non-elemental spell that attacks all enemies by scrolling SHITCUNT across the screen

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

The White Dragon posted:

~rudra's secret treasure~

the game where you can type SHITCUNT and the game, not sure what to do with that, would just make a non-elemental spell that attacks all enemies by scrolling SHITCUNT across the screen

That's the one, thank you!

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Gromit posted:

Aztec on the Apple II had complex controls, but predates the Amiga.

Holy poo poo, thanks! I think that's it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Meridian posted:

Thank you! It has been bothering me for a long time.

Just so you know, you can gently caress with the ducks up to a point. But, if you push it, their big brothers the Beast Men will show up and punch a you-shaped hole in the map of dragon pass. Great game by the way.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

andrew smash posted:

Just so you know, you can gently caress with the ducks up to a point. But, if you push it, their big brothers the Beast Men will show up and punch a you-shaped hole in the map of dragon pass. Great game by the way.

It has some great moments but they dont really make up for how janky it is overall.
It's a lot like a fun but poorly balanced roguelike.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

A stranger was asking on my Facebook page about a game. Here's what I know:

-PS2
-The graphics were good, she likened it to Tomb Raider in general look/gameplay
-Protagonist was a brunette little girl (8-9), with some sort of monster/creature that was smaller than her, as a sidekick
-Fairly kiddy, but again, with good/realistic graphics
-Took place in a dark forest, with snow and all that, but also had some buildings (graveyard-ish?)
-More exploration than outright horror
-not one of the following: Jade Cocoon 2, Silent Hill, American McGee's Alice, Haunting Ground, Clock Tower, Lemony Snicket, Fatal Frame, Castleween, Siren.

Does it ring any bells? I generally like "help us figure a game out" stuff but this has me outright stumped.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Ok another question. Amiga puzzle game with a sci fi theme. You had to command a series of robots in order to clean up or switch off the reactor of a nuclear power plant... IN SPACE!

I can remember a couple of robots among the others, a red and a blue one, whose "trick" was to be magnetic and behave like the appropriately colored magnetic debris. I think the two robots were called "chernobots". There were other robots, like a heavy mover and probably one that was particularly resistant to radiations, but you could choose just two per each level. Other than the timer going off you would fail if you destroyed all your robots by exposing them to radiations.

The playfield was seen top down and the gameplay was more or less like a complex version of sokoban.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Serperoth posted:

A stranger was asking on my Facebook page about a game. Here's what I know:

-PS2
-The graphics were good, she likened it to Tomb Raider in general look/gameplay
-Protagonist was a brunette little girl (8-9), with some sort of monster/creature that was smaller than her, as a sidekick
-Fairly kiddy, but again, with good/realistic graphics
-Took place in a dark forest, with snow and all that, but also had some buildings (graveyard-ish?)
-More exploration than outright horror
-not one of the following: Jade Cocoon 2, Silent Hill, American McGee's Alice, Haunting Ground, Clock Tower, Lemony Snicket, Fatal Frame, Castleween, Siren.

Does it ring any bells? I generally like "help us figure a game out" stuff but this has me outright stumped.

I can think of a few things that fit most but none that fit everything. Primal or Rule of Rose?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I can think of a few things that fit most but none that fit everything. Primal or Rule of Rose?

She says it's a bit like Rule of Rose, story-wise. Specifically, how the girl is suddenly in the forest. But the girl is different, and the graphics are a little older.

VV: Yeah, very much so, I think it even was mentioned that it wasn't cartoony graphics.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 10, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
is dark cloud 2/dark chronicle too cartoony?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Hey so I don't want to nag you on this, just wanted to see if you found the thing. I still haven't and it's still bugging me.
So I went up to the house yesterday. It's not there.

Maybe I have it in storage, I'll have to check. Don't think I sold it but it's possible that my grandfather did in a garage sale.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

iSurrender posted:

It has some great moments but they dont really make up for how janky it is overall.
It's a lot like a fun but poorly balanced roguelike.

If you played the pc version, it hasn't been updated since like 1998 except for compatibility stuff. The mobile version is radically streamlined without losing any of the narrative content and is, in my opinion, much better

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

limaCAT posted:

Ok another question. Amiga puzzle game with a sci fi theme. You had to command a series of robots in order to clean up or switch off the reactor of a nuclear power plant... IN SPACE!

I can remember a couple of robots among the others, a red and a blue one, whose "trick" was to be magnetic and behave like the appropriately colored magnetic debris. I think the two robots were called "chernobots". There were other robots, like a heavy mover and probably one that was particularly resistant to radiations, but you could choose just two per each level. Other than the timer going off you would fail if you destroyed all your robots by exposing them to radiations.

The playfield was seen top down and the gameplay was more or less like a complex version of sokoban.

Someone actually asked about this exact same game in the other thread a couple days ago, it’s Quadralien

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Serperoth posted:

She says it's a bit like Rule of Rose, story-wise. Specifically, how the girl is suddenly in the forest. But the girl is different, and the graphics are a little older.

VV: Yeah, very much so, I think it even was mentioned that it wasn't cartoony graphics.

Show her this video from Primal because all the points, except it involving a child, are on point. People were even comparing the main character to Lara.

It could also be Falling Stars but you said it wasn't cartoony.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Pablo Gigante posted:

Someone actually asked about this exact same game in the other thread a couple days ago, it’s Quadralien

That's it!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

andrew smash posted:

If you played the pc version, it hasn't been updated since like 1998 except for compatibility stuff. The mobile version is radically streamlined without losing any of the narrative content and is, in my opinion, much better

The Steam version IS the mobile version, mind you. I don't know why GOG isn't offering it as well.

E:

Apparantly GOG has updated as well, so that's good.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

al-azad posted:

Show her this video from Primal because all the points, except it involving a child, are on point. People were even comparing the main character to Lara.

Yep, it was Primal, she was just looking at the wrong footage when I first mentioned it to her. Thanks :D Says she loves ya

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

THE BAR posted:

The Steam version IS the mobile version, mind you. I don't know why GOG isn't offering it as well.

E:

Apparantly GOG has updated as well, so that's good.

Well poo poo, the things you learn. If that's the case I disagree with it being called janky. It is definitely unforgiving but it's a pretty smooth game these days.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

andrew smash posted:

Well poo poo, the things you learn. If that's the case I disagree with it being called janky. It is definitely unforgiving but it's a pretty smooth game these days.

It's opaque in places, but you tend to learn from playing and paying attention to the world.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

The Joe Man posted:

So I went up to the house yesterday. It's not there.

Maybe I have it in storage, I'll have to check. Don't think I sold it but it's possible that my grandfather did in a garage sale.

I'm about 80% sure I'm thinking of Math Ace Jr. but since there's basically nothing on the internet about it I can't be sure :(

You might be thinking of Discoveries of the Deep? That one doesn't look there's math involved and looks more realistic.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

The first one is probably from an snes/genesis or ps1 game. It's very mechanical/industrial sounding. It's not Devil's Lab from FF6, but it's in the ballpark. I think it's about 85 BPM and has a time signature similar to SMB3's underworld theme.

Could it be a theme from Silent Hill? IIRC there's a few mechanical/industrial themes when fighting on the other side and such.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Welcome to the Machine from Ecco the Dolphin also has a very industrial and somber sound to it and it begins with a WHOOSH WHOOSH WHOOSH thing.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

I'm about 80% sure I'm thinking of Math Ace Jr. but since there's basically nothing on the internet about it I can't be sure :(

You might be thinking of Discoveries of the Deep? That one doesn't look there's math involved and looks more realistic.
Unfortunately that's not it. The one I think we're both trying to remember has VERY "Windows 95 graphics."

If it helps, the box was mostly yellow & blue (ocean pictures, probably some sharks).

I'm going to go back up there to actually grab all my stuff at some point soon and I'll do another sweep but aghh I bet he sold it for like a nickel. He also managed to sell my mint copy of this for like a dollar: http://www.mobygames.com/game/wrath-of-the-gods

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 13, 2017

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Could it be a theme from Silent Hill? IIRC there's a few mechanical/industrial themes when fighting on the other side and such.

I don't think so, I only played silent hill 2 but I'm pretty sure the song i'm trying to find isn't as dire or dark as that. But it wasn't really upbeat either.

al-azad posted:

Welcome to the Machine from Ecco the Dolphin also has a very industrial and somber sound to it and it begins with a WHOOSH WHOOSH WHOOSH thing.

It's not that. The song I'm trying to find doesn't have an intro, it just goes straight into the melody. I think.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

andrew smash posted:

Yeah, I've only played the old PC version, and didnt know that.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The chat thread made me remember some Monster Rancher like game with dragons where if you game sharked your starter's stats up and beat the super baddy in the unwinnable first fight, the game hard locked.

Any ideas? Reasonably sure it was Playstation one era, could be early PS2.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I haven't played it, but I'm 99% sure that's Dragonseeds.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Rollersnake posted:

I haven't played it, but I'm 99% sure that's Dragonseeds.

Yeah, looks like.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Does anyone remember the free to play PC game a couple years ago that was basically future checkers with lasers?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
So several years back I posted to this thread (or a previous iteration) for help finding an NES side scroller where the only thing I remembered was that one of the bosses was something like a giant Buddha statue that you could beat by jumping into the space between its head and the wall and shooting it. Nobody was able to figure it out for the life of them.

Turns out it's Xexyz. A mystery I've been wondering about for around a decade, solved!

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

Does anyone remember the free to play PC game a couple years ago that was basically future checkers with lasers?

Quadradius?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Polaron posted:

So several years back I posted to this thread (or a previous iteration) for help finding an NES side scroller where the only thing I remembered was that one of the bosses was something like a giant Buddha statue that you could beat by jumping into the space between its head and the wall and shooting it. Nobody was able to figure it out for the life of them.

Turns out it's Xexyz. A mystery I've been wondering about for around a decade, solved!

Xexyz was one of my favorite NES games for being incredibly bizarre. If I had known about your post that would've been my first guess.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

iSurrender posted:

Quadradius?

Yep! That's definitely it!

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
PC game I played somewhere around 99-2000. Main character was a noir detective type with a trenchcoat and fedora but I think he also wore a domino mask. Gameplay was similar to a resident evil type game but I don't remember if it was survival horror or if it hand tank controls. His gun(s) had a laser that formed a crosshair on his target and I think everyone just referred to him as the Stranger. I tried googling around but I kept getting results for Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. Any help is appreciated!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
PC game some time between 1990 and 1994

It had a medieval theme. I think it was like a... puzzle game?

Every time you beat it, they would add a new treasure to your Treasure Room in the castle the game took place in.

gently caress that's all I remember. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

hamsystem posted:

PC game I played somewhere around 99-2000. Main character was a noir detective type with a trenchcoat and fedora but I think he also wore a domino mask. Gameplay was similar to a resident evil type game but I don't remember if it was survival horror or if it hand tank controls. His gun(s) had a laser that formed a crosshair on his target and I think everyone just referred to him as the Stranger. I tried googling around but I kept getting results for Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. Any help is appreciated!

Nocturne? One of the characters also had a cameo in the Blair Witch computer games.