Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i just want to play as Bea, she rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bea is Bae.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
man just when i think i've gotta handle on the weirdness i discover that "24 hour walmart fort challenges" are a thing and i'm just like... william gibson would be proud

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

considering that and dbfz are the only games im looking forward to next year, I can afford to wait

I want to play Cyber Sleuth 2!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My bestie has a minecraft server and I have spent the last few hours making tunnels with glass floors and a river of lava underneath those glass floors.

I really enjoy the carefree nature of the game and it is nice to play interior decorator :D

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
last night it was too cold to play video games in here so i messed around with the Roku and discovered "Minecraft TV"

today has just been a wild ride

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

exquisite tea posted:

The actual act of getting around Possum Springs can be rather tedious and the dream sequences do get kinda repetitive, I agree. Thankfully they kind of taper off as the story progresses. Mae becomes a much more sympathetic character once you begin to learn more about what she's actually going through.

Yeah, I didn't like Mae much at first but her interactions with Bea brought her character out in ways that ultimately became much more sympathetic. I'll definitely be interested in seeing if the Mae that gets reflected through her interactions with Gregg seems different when I replay the game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VideoGames posted:

My bestie has a minecraft server and I have spent the last few hours making tunnels with glass floors and a river of lava underneath those glass floors.

I really enjoy the carefree nature of the game and it is nice to play interior decorator :D
as long as you're making lots of secret passages and not tell your friend about it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well it turns out that almost all Intel processors made in the past ten years have a massive security vulnerability and also I am in the vicinity of "explosive snowfall" for next day or so, so time to roll the dice a bunch I suppose

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I liked moving Mae around a lot. I never got sick of bouncing on cars and walking power lines

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Congrats to Lara Croft winning the Steam beautifulest game model award and beating out Bayonetta, Senua, 2B, and a piece of bread.

(the bread got robbed)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I voted Senua but I must give it up for the glory of TressFX.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

HairWorks is the superior technology and Geralt the standard-bearer

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bayonetta with TressFX.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I finished NitW this morning and I feel like it was too short? Part 3 and 4 seemed to just spring out of nowhere and then it was over. Great game though, I still have to play through the extra content.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

chumbler posted:

Bayonetta with TressFX.

Need one of those Pixar computer banks that render up to a frame of hair a day or whatever.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Saint Freak posted:

Need one of those Pixar computer banks that render up to a frame of hair a day or whatever.

yeah that was in the 90s grandpa. these days your regular computer can do this just fine

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
IT'S A UNIX SYSTEM

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

The White Dragon posted:

yeah that was in the 90s grandpa. these days your regular computer can do this just fine

Oh I guess they were down to 30 seconds a frame in Brave this decade.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nachos posted:

I finished NitW this morning and I feel like it was too short? Part 3 and 4 seemed to just spring out of nowhere and then it was over. Great game though, I still have to play through the extra content.

Yeah, the game does feel a little too short in some respects and there are a few tedious parts (I agree there should have been some kind of fast travel system and if you don't know what you're doing it's easy to get lost during some of the dream sequences) but the story and characters more than make up for it. There's also some pretty decent new content in the recent Weird Autumn edition that actually helps make the story even better (for example, I recommend talking to the dog lady in the sewers as much as possible, you'll see why at the end).

I really would like to see the development team make another game like this in the future, even if it isn't a direct sequel. Though speaking of which, have these guys done anything significant prior to NitW?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Larryb posted:

Yeah, the game does feel a little too short in some respects and there are a few tedious parts (I agree there should have been some kind of fast travel system and if you don't know what you're doing it's easy to get lost during some of the dream sequences) but the story and characters more than make up for it. There's also some pretty decent new content in the recent Weird Autumn edition that actually helps make the story even better (for example, I recommend talking to the dog lady in the sewers as much as possible, you'll see why at the end).

I really would like to see the development team make another game like this in the future, even if it isn't a direct sequel. Though speaking of which, have these guys done anything significant prior to NitW?
One of the guys worked on Aquaria.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Accordion Man posted:

One of the guys worked on Aquaria.

And yet NitW is actually good. Progress!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

walking around is really tedious already and i'm in part 3 (of 4???) and each morning there's a part of me that dreads having to go around to every corner of the town to see all the dialogue even though i love the dialogue

it's just so much walking downtime

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

walking around is really tedious already and i'm in part 3 (of 4???) and each morning there's a part of me that dreads having to go around to every corner of the town to see all the dialogue even though i love the dialogue

jump
jump
high jump
jump
jump
high jump
jump
jump
high jump

my entire playthrough, especially on the drat power lines

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Would you say that you're making your way downtown walking fast, faces pass and you're homebound?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I vaguely recall in one of the dev logs that climbing around town was initially meant to highlight casual racism because some of the animal people are upset that others are so agile but the racist angles were dropped through production.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

al-azad posted:

I vaguely recall in one of the dev logs that climbing around town was initially meant to highlight casual racism because some of the animal people are upset that others are so agile but the racist angles were dropped through production.

I think there were also going to be more references to the fact that the cast is made up of animals but that ended up being cut as well. So you're left with a society where anthropomorphic animals live alongside normal ones (some even owning the latter as pets) and everyone's ok with this. Though I suppose it's another case of the Goofy/Pluto situation where you're not really supposed to think about it too hard.

While you could change the entire cast into humans without really altering anything else I actually like the way the game's presented, it makes it feel more unique.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I figured the tedium is by design since you're a college dropout who has jack poo poo to do except wander around, look at poo poo, and talk to people. The walking was okay, but I didn't really enjoy the dream sequences very much.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I also really didn't care for Mae, she was a pretty bad influence on everyone around her in the story. I enjoyed the game, though I basically grew up in possum springs so ymmv

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

mae is so rude to her mom, what the hell

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Mae being a confused shithead is essential and part of what makes the game so good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

babypolis posted:

that makes sense because the actual dialogue is well written it just flows in really weird ways sometimes. like the dude needed to write more transitions lines or something

that is a very, very accurate description of how kaneko writes not only dialogue, but plot

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Larryb posted:

While you could change the entire cast into humans without really altering anything else I actually like the way the game's presented, it makes it feel more unique.

Yeah I don't think it's necessary to the narrative for the characters to all be animals but it does help make the aesthetic as good and memorable as it is

Also human characters would make the setting that much more depressingly real

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
they're animals because it's a good visual shorthand for how characters are and what they do

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
cats be like

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is Night In The Woods basically "Distressed Millenials: The Game"

Cause I have enough anxiety about that stuff IRL, not sure why I'd want to deal with it in a game too

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
because it's cool to have more tangible artful and layered depictions of your own anxieties and fears rather than keep them inside your head

as a millennial, i felt genuinely healed after playing because of the commentary it makes on how to deal with those issues. it feels good to have another touchstone encouraging me through these dark parts of my life. the new life is strange did this for me as well.

just my onion

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
good media about depression and early 20's life crises Totally Own

examples of this that i've enjoyed are the manga solanin, the anime march comes in like a lion and the video game night in the woods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

good news everyone

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...rnet-archivists

• Locked thread