Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I remember playing Max in Super Turbo on my old xbox account and he nearly beat me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8QSoxvY2Ck&t=714s

Oh man I played like poo poo.

I like when he raw supers you while you are clearly holding db for like 3 straight seconds.

I can stand him more when hes playing vs real players like that tho. In some games like xrd he makes vids where hes just clowning on his stream followers in a lobby with the same leo bnb, like theres one machine a line of spectators 8 guys long in the lobby with no one on any other machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Of the people putting out DBFz content, he's the only one I can stand. Literally never watched anything of his on purpose before this, even though I knew of him. The rest of the people do a lot of screaming, fake hype, and other dumb youtube poo poo. I don't understand how anyone can follow a youtube "personality" honestly.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im gonna make some fg tutorials once dbfz comes out around like, how to play fighting games, some stuff i'm gonna go over is:

- the mindset most ppl should take when approaching a game they want to play competitively (play for fun and play a lot, don't sweat competitive stuff for a while or you'll burn yourself out), there's a lot to say here
- the idea of mixups and not just overheads and crossups, but things like space control, changing up pressure, etc
- the concept of "turns" vs neutral, a simplification of when to play patiently and when to attack.
- basic combat flow and how to put youself in an advantage / earn your "turn"
- reading, pattern recognition and using the law of threes to illustrate this

anything else yall wanna see

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
you could add something in there about how to take your licks like a champ and not a punk

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
be sure to tell everyone how cool i am

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
how to hit confirm (or practice doing it), that probably took me the longest out of any generic fg skill and it still takes me the longest when learning a new game. like at first i'd just do my combo on block and get punished and then i'd do safe pressure and just sorta pray the other person messed up blocking my weak rear end """"mixup""" and just sorta lose if they just kept blocking

this is also why i initially started playing grappling characters

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zand posted:

you could add something in there about how to take your licks like a champ and not a punk

something about how you should play the character you love (either because of lore, aesthetics, moves, whatever) because youre gonna be stuck with them for hundreds of hours so it doesnt matter if there's a higher tier if you hate playing them, you just wont do the grind and losing will be frustrating.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anime was right posted:

im gonna make some fg tutorials once dbfz comes out around like, how to play fighting games, some stuff i'm gonna go over is:

- the mindset most ppl should take when approaching a game they want to play competitively (play for fun and play a lot, don't sweat competitive stuff for a while or you'll burn yourself out), there's a lot to say here
- the idea of mixups and not just overheads and crossups, but things like space control, changing up pressure, etc
- the concept of "turns" vs neutral, a simplification of when to play patiently and when to attack.

- how to run a denny's in a third world country where you require the employees to have sex with you in order to stay employed
- how to break a samba de amigo machine
- how to get into twitter arguments about dragonball gt
- how to steal everyone's money at a guilty gear tournament

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Where in the bathroom or alleyway makes for the best melty setup

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Broken Loose posted:

god forbid somebody try to say something informative to people asking for help
he'll pay later

anime was right posted:

read about peoples experience getting through skill plateaus is always cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

the dumpster is always a good centerpiece for your melty setup

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Real hurthling! posted:

the answer is by the gazebo

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

anime was right posted:

As a subset of turns & patience I would be interested in hearing about a good mindset when pushing through obstacle course sort of defense and what to look for finding a moment to attack. That might be overly specific or covered in what you're planning but that's my thought. I'm really looking forward to this.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
one time we didnt battle by the gazebo, we battled in the gazebo. real step up for the melty community, playing anime fighters on a laptop next to chinese grandpas playing chess.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

anime was right posted:

one time we didnt battle by the gazebo, we battled in the gazebo. real step up for the melty community, playing anime fighters on a laptop next to chinese grandpas playing chess.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im dying from lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

anime was right posted:

oki game

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Countblanc posted:

something about how you should play the character you love (either because of lore, aesthetics, moves, whatever) because youre gonna be stuck with them for hundreds of hours so it doesnt matter if there's a higher tier if you hate playing them, you just wont do the grind and losing will be frustrating.

pick a top tier

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Chaotic Flame posted:

Of the people putting out DBFz content, he's the only one I can stand. Literally never watched anything of his on purpose before this, even though I knew of him. The rest of the people do a lot of screaming, fake hype, and other dumb youtube poo poo. I don't understand how anyone can follow a youtube "personality" honestly.

Youtube "personalities" only exist because of 10-14 y/o viewership. It's not "for" us :ssh:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Pretty sure i fought some of these youtube motherfuckers in Street fighter 3, and lost horribly myself.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

ginyu actually looks real loving good, some of his strikers fill an amazing amount of space for a seriously dumb amount of time

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zand posted:

ya i want to do something like "no one cares if you lose besides yourself" and how to improve during each match

Countblanc posted:

how to hit confirm (or practice doing it), that probably took me the longest out of any generic fg skill and it still takes me the longest when learning a new game. like at first i'd just do my combo on block and get punished and then i'd do safe pressure and just sorta pray the other person messed up blocking my weak rear end """"mixup""" and just sorta lose if they just kept blocking

this is also why i initially started playing grappling characters

i dont think hitconfirming is really a thing you can teach as a concept, its more of a "heres how to do it, now learn it yourself" kind of thing that you do with random block on, basically.

Booyah- posted:

read about peoples experience getting through skill plateaus is always cool

this is a good one, but i actually don't know how to describe any time i've ever done this... it always just came from playing a lot and thinking about the game

Reiley posted:

As a subset of turns & patience I would be interested in hearing about a good mindset when pushing through obstacle course sort of defense and what to look for finding a moment to attack. That might be overly specific or covered in what you're planning but that's my thought. I'm really looking forward to this.

ya i want to break down the elements of a turn, but thats probably not an immediate concern

thanks for the feedback yall

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

anime was right posted:

ya i want to do something like "no one cares if you lose besides yourself" and how to improve during each match

Just tell people to read the inner game of tennis

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Someone posted a tweet to Max saying he missed a good amount of moves on Ginyu (Recoome has his Super Ultra Miracle Bomber for example)

His conclusion was "oh it wasn't on the movelist I guess it might not of been done... or maybe... secret moves???"

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

How does oki work in this game? Only really played GG, where you seemed to have a long time to mix-up after a knockdown, but here it looks like you can bounce back up real fast from most knockdowns?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Someone posted a tweet to Max saying he missed a good amount of moves on Ginyu (Recoome has his Super Ultra Miracle Bomber for example)

His conclusion was "oh it wasn't on the movelist I guess it might not of been done... or maybe... secret moves???"

Isn't everything a fireball forward or back in this game? Doesn't seem very secret.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

people (like max) have been very time limited for recording/testing the game. it is unsurprising that max missed stuff.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah it's pretty hard to bust his balls over missing stuff here, especially if he owns up to it, since before every video he basically says "we had like 2 minutes with each character, we almost definitely missed stuff"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Waffleman_ posted:

Isn't everything a fireball forward or back in this game? Doesn't seem very secret.

maybe it's dp backward

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
https://twitter.com/teamfourstar/status/948639182041309185

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
legit glad yamcha made the roster still. did they give him anything to do in the new weird dragonball episodes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He's a baseball player.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Princeps32 posted:

legit glad yamcha made the roster still. did they give him anything to do in the new weird dragonball episodes

he gets a whole baseball episode to himself, which is probably one of the best eps the series has had

more importantly, there's a whole stand-alone manga where a dragonball fan is reincarnated as yamcha and uses his DB knowledge to game the system and become one of the top tier dudes in the series. its good

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
He could have gamed it even more, idiot didnt even wish himself into being a saiyan or have the elder kai unlock his potential.

But other than that it was a cool dumb spinoff thing.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
of course.

thinking way way back did he ever win an actual fight besides beating tournament flunkies or whatever?

Kelp Plankton posted:

he gets a whole baseball episode to himself, which is probably one of the best eps the series has had

more importantly, there's a whole stand-alone manga where a dragonball fan is reincarnated as yamcha and uses his DB knowledge to game the system and become one of the top tier dudes in the series. its good

that loving rules and i'm going to go look for it

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
He was the first one to beat (an admittedly very hungry) goku wasn't he?

edit: and he had the most devastating attack in the franchise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQtCpUh0XD4

Clever Spambot fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
He was pretty crucial in Baba's tournament, and he *almost* killed Goku. I think that's it.