Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Don't forget the daily affirmations of how BJJ saved their lives, how they used BJJ in real life, dank BJJ memes they poo poo out, and being generally creepy to female BJJ fighters on the subreddit and in their dojos. I mean, how many times does someone need to ask how to not have a boner when rolling with a woman before it becomes unsettling to the general population. The answer is never.

I did like the stories the Black Belts post on the BJJ subreddit as they are inspirational. Then someone shared a video where a high school girl gets thrown to the pavement by her ex for being shoved and the whole subreddit rooted for the ex slamming the girl to the ground with the power of BJJ and I stopped going there.

The Judo subreddit is pretty dead and but you get to see cool old school judo videos that people dig up from time to time. You do get people complaining about no leg grabs a lot.
There are some really good instructors and competitors on r/bjj but unfortunately they mostly either just troll threads (AJ, Keenan, Craig Jones), want to sell something (various DVD or instructional programs) or only lurk (the vast majority). Would be cool to have some high level technical discussion on there given who reads r/bjj but we never do instead we have the poo poo posts about how someone used BJJ in a fight by having the maturity and confidence to walk away. They literally had to make a rule that you could not post animals doing BJJ memes.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Let’s not forget the riveting discussions there over the past few days on whether it’s acceptable to allow people with white supremacy tattoos train at their gyms.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Speaking of technical discussions. A question for thought: Does anyone know the difference between finishing an arm in guillotine and finishing a very similar choke when your opponents trapped arm is across his body in arm triangle style? These 2 positions look very similar but are different.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Yuns posted:

Speaking of technical discussions. A question for thought: Does anyone know the difference between finishing an arm in guillotine and finishing a very similar choke when your opponents trapped arm is across his body in arm triangle style? These 2 positions look very similar but are different.

I would finish the first by hipping out and getting on the same hip as the choking arm. For the arm triangle sort of finish, I would use a grip similar to an RNC, as if their arm was across their body, I should be able to get their tricep with the choking arm, which should ease into the RNC grip finish.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The second is basically an anaconda choke, right? I'd go for the bicep grip and hook the leg, as per ^^

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

The second is basically an anaconda choke, right? I'd go for the bicep grip and hook the leg, as per ^^

Yeah that's what I figured too. Basically an anaconda.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

Finishing an arm in guillotine requires you to suck in your elbows tight to your body thereby extending your opponents arm as well as putting a leg across his stomach and one over his back to prevent them from stepping over. Arm triangle you hip out and sprawl your legs over your opponents below their butt to prevent movement. Can use the gable grip to drive the blade of your wrist into the neck or the rear naked choke grip.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Yes. It's similar to an anaconda but from the guillotine position. And yes, for the guillotine you will end up on you choking arm side and hip out slightly. Typically leg position will be with one leg under hooked against the hip and the other leg over the back. But the key mechanic is to bring your choking arm elbow in to your hip as you perform an action akin to a side crunch.

In the arm triangle/anaconda position, the grip can be the triangle/bicep style grip but regardless of the grip style, your choking arm elbow will not crunch in; instead, it will rotate is if you are trying to get a shallower grip so it will move away from your hip and up and out away from your body .

2 similar looking position but opposite finish mechanics.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Dont think Ill ever be able to do a kimura

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

vaginal facsimile posted:

Dont think Ill ever be able to do a kimura

Seeing as how I basically only hit the kimura, I'd like to ask why

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I am on track to abandon every other submission except the kimura. I love it so much. What kind of trouble are you having with it?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

JaySB posted:

Seeing as how I basically only hit the kimura, I'd like to ask why

I mean I learned it tonight for the first time and have a hard time wrapping my head round it, is all

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I mean I learned it tonight for the first time and have a hard time wrapping my head round it, is all

Keep practicing it. The figure four grip is useful for a multitude of attacks and will be your best friend.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

you're trying to rotate their shoulder too far in the joint until it hurts, don't focus on the arm

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Some quality viewing if you'd like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ewjXN7Etbo

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

what did your coach say

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I went like two years without hitting more than a handful of kimuras and then I hit like 30 in December.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah I've been going after kimuras this year. I enjoy diving after them while in my opponent's DLR or z-guard or whatever. I still have a bitch of a time hitting them off closed guard though. Any suggestions?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

ihop posted:

Yeah I've been going after kimuras this year. I enjoy diving after them while in my opponent's DLR or z-guard or whatever. I still have a bitch of a time hitting them off closed guard though. Any suggestions?

Closed guard kimuras are probably my #1 submission. Only real useful bit of advice I can give you is once you do get a kimura grip around the arm, don't let go. Seriously, it's one of the most powerful controls in jiu jitsu, especially in nogi. The only thing they can really do is posture up and break it, but once you get comfortable controlling their posture with your legs it's pretty much a waiting game until they're tapping or you sweep them.

I have an easier time hitting kimuras off my back than I do from top side control, even though the grip is like 10x easier to grab from there.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Kimuras are good because going for one from side control is a setup for a headscissors, which is a cool sub I get yelled at for using at BJJ

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Kimuras are good because going for one from side control is a setup for a headscissors, which is a cool sub I get yelled at for using at BJJ

It's an awesome sub.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's literally the hallmark sub of our gym, thanks to one of the bb's here who made it famous.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Kimura trap to take the back. Kimuras to sweep from botttom Z-guard. I love Kimuras.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Bubba Smith posted:

Closed guard kimuras are probably my #1 submission. Only real useful bit of advice I can give you is once you do get a kimura grip around the arm, don't let go. Seriously, it's one of the most powerful controls in jiu jitsu, especially in nogi. The only thing they can really do is posture up and break it, but once you get comfortable controlling their posture with your legs it's pretty much a waiting game until they're tapping or you sweep them.

I have an easier time hitting kimuras off my back than I do from top side control, even though the grip is like 10x easier to grab from there.

Have to be careful about the back take if they open your guard too.

I hit them from bottom half basically every day.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Trap the arm instead for an inverted triangle

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

JaySB posted:

Have to be careful about the back take if they open your guard too.

I hit them from bottom half basically every day.

Trap the arm instead for an inverted triangle

It's way easier to get the headscissors instead of the inverted triangle though. You just catch their neck as they attempt to sit up as their roll out of the kimura (or if you're going for it from top position), they just don't see it coming.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

It's way easier to get the headscissors instead of the inverted triangle though. You just catch their neck as they attempt to sit up as their roll out of the kimura (or if you're going for it from top position), they just don't see it coming.

Oh, I get that, but if we're being yelled at for the head scissors there are other options.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If we're talking the N/S kimura:
I'm a big fan of trying to pin their bottom arm with my knee first, and if I get that pin then i'm gonna finish the kimura
If I can't get the pin, my knee is already forward pretty far, so it slides really neatly back into the neck for the head scissors
If I can't finish the head scissors and their hands are still locked together, I usually just wait (because it usually hurts right) until they start trying to escape, and when a bit of space appears inside their arms, then I can slide the top foot over to set up that inverted triangle.

I find slipping the foot over for the inverted triangle is a bit risky so if anybody has a trick to open that space up I'd love to hear it. If the arms come apart at any point I just wristlock the arm I've got gripped.

ihop posted:

I think the closed guard kimura is a good finishing position to go to once the grip is already locked up from elsewhere? You find a kimura grip during a scramble, you're not sure where to take it to get a finish, turn to face them, close your guard, finish. If I get a half-guard kimura and I can't finish it but they're not trying to pass, I use a butterfly hook to make some space, get my leg through for closed guard, then get the finish from there.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

JaySB posted:

Oh, I get that, but if we're being yelled at for the head scissors there are other options.

I get yelled at for shinlocks too but I will NEVER stop doing shinlocks

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got told not to do a normal run of the mill kneebar at my place in Korea. Was pretty disappointed by that as I tend to get those more often than a kimura or something.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

I got told not to do a normal run of the mill kneebar at my place in Korea. Was pretty disappointed by that as I tend to get those more often than a kimura or something.

The thing about shinlocks is you can pretend it was totally an accident and wow I can't believe you tapped to me just pinning your leg during a pass, that's so weird

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Bubba Smith posted:

what did your coach say

He shook his head in disgust

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

JaySB posted:

Some quality viewing if you'd like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ewjXN7Etbo
Thanks for this!

I used to always go for kimuras early in the year then stopped and the past two classes have been snatching them up all the time. I usually only get a tap every couple attempts but just the grip alone is so strong I will hold onto that forever.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Digital Jedi posted:

Thanks for this!

I used to always go for kimuras early in the year then stopped and the past two classes have been snatching them up all the time. I usually only get a tap every couple attempts but just the grip alone is so strong I will hold onto that forever.

Yeah the kimuras I've been snagging have been from bottom half to use the grip for the back take, but I've started using that same grip and process to get north-south, and finishing the kimura there. I've also started getting them on the far arm from knee on belly.

The thing that drives me loving -bonkers- is that I've become pretty slick at the back take, where you snag the kimura and pin it to your opponent's chest while you spinarroonie around and then flippiedo to the back. It's on my list of moves that I hit on people who are better than me. But there are two dudes who get an arm bar on me when I do that. For one of them, I can rip my arm out and often end up in top position before they bear trap me to death, but the other guy gets me close to 100% of the time if I commit to the keylock long enough to do anything with it.

If that's not bad enough, they both use the same keylock back take on me and I can't get them with the same arm bar :suicide:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Yeah the kimuras I've been snagging have been from bottom half to use the grip for the back take, but I've started using that same grip and process to get north-south, and finishing the kimura there. I've also started getting them on the far arm from knee on belly.

The thing that drives me loving -bonkers- is that I've become pretty slick at the back take, where you snag the kimura and pin it to your opponent's chest while you spinarroonie around and then flippiedo to the back. It's on my list of moves that I hit on people who are better than me. But there are two dudes who get an arm bar on me when I do that. For one of them, I can rip my arm out and often end up in top position before they bear trap me to death, but the other guy gets me close to 100% of the time if I commit to the keylock long enough to do anything with it.

If that's not bad enough, they both use the same keylock back take on me and I can't get them with the same arm bar :suicide:

Have you tried the spinnaroonie with the kimura into north/south? Basically you spin past where you would stop for the back take and get the opponent to fall into the space you've created. Maybe give those guys something else to think about and the chances of them hitting their counter technique will go down.

EDIT: also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLLQBxG1ojo

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 4, 2018

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

kindly provide this poster with a dece vid on these 'head's scissors '

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Wangsbig posted:

kindly provide this poster with a dece vid on these 'head's scissors '

i think during the women's ebi a while back someone won a match with a head scissor.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drewjitsu posted:

Have you tried the spinnaroonie with the kimura into north/south? Basically you spin past where you would stop for the back take and get the opponent to fall into the space you've created. Maybe give those guys something else to think about and the chances of them hitting their counter technique will go down.

They get the arm bar before I get to the back or beyond (I've been hitting north-south lately, too, and actually finishing kimuras there). They spin around my head to catch my top/framing arm as soon as my legs get free of half guard (i.e. I'm in half guard trapping my opponent's right leg, I kip up to my right to send my left arm over his left shoulder as I grab his left wrist with my right hand; my left hand grabs my right wrist, and my left arm gets caught by their arm bar.) Against the purple belt I'm typically able to create something of a cradle and get to a rough top-side position, but against the brown belt I'm just hosed and I feel like an idiot for even trying.

(FWIW it's the exact arm bar that Matt Hughes got on GSP in their first match.)

I've seen that Lachlan Giles vid before but I'm going to re-watch it because when last I saw it I wasn't having any success with kimuras.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah - that technique he describes at the beginning is exactly what's happening. The problem is that I know about that technique and I can use it. I can prevent literally everyone else from getting me with that arm bar, but there's just a small margin of error in my execution that these two dudes can exploit.

Git gud, I guess. :v:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

For those that haven't seen the Lachlan Giles video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLLQBxG1ojo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

My once-a-month sub tends to be a kimura. The grip itself lends itself to wonderful controls and positions.